Vinc7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinc7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does Egg yolk cause damage to your liver ?

The thing is I love egg. Eat a lot of egg, minimum 8-10 whole eggs per day.
    I read somewhere that egg yolk can damage your live or cause somewhat negative effect to the liver. Is it true ?

If possible, can you share some scientific sources of information about this issue as well. I like to show them to others too.
    I did some google about the egg yolk. But very few with actual research and proof.

Sorry if my English is not very good. Not my 1st language.

Thanks

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Vinc7 View Post
    The thing is I love egg. Eat a lot of egg, minimum 8-10 whole eggs per day.
    I read somewhere that egg yolk can damage your live or cause somewhat negative effect to the liver. Is it true ?

If possible, can you share some scientific sources of information about this issue as well. I like to show them to others too.
    I did some google about the egg yolk. But very few with actual research and proof.

Sorry if my English is not very good. Not my 1st language.

Thanks

First, post the link(s) to whatever source you have that claims eating egg yolks causes 'damage' to the liver.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000) jamesovercome is just really nice. (+1000)
    The only thing egg yolks cause is gains.
    ---------------------------------------
    "Fast is not fast enough, strong is not strong enough."
    ----------------------------------------

Vinc7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vinc7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    First, post the link(s) to whatever source you have that claims eating egg yolks causes 'damage' to the liver.
    They all bs blah blah without any scientific information or research to back it up to begin with. Personally I pay no attention to it.
    Everyone around me say the same crap, I ignore all too.

But recently, I got my health check. The result came out fine ( most of it beyond being well ). However, my "live enzymes" (not sure if it the right English word ) is higher than normal. And the doctor ask a few questions about it like what do I eat.

So ehh...my answer was: ton of vege, whole grain bread, chicken breast, milk, pork.... and then the eggs.
    "How many egg ?" - "around 10 every day"
    "what !! you're kidding me. Why so much egg ? Egg yolk are not good for liver. No more than 2 eggs a day from now on. Or you liver gonna fail you someday....."

OK so this guy is a doctor, of a hospital where I came to get a full body health check. He's a doctor, saying all that....

btw - living in Vietnam, my home country atm.

This is why I would appreciate some scientific information and researching about the issue.

Thanks.

ps: I don't smoke, gave up on drinking any alcohol for years already.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    They all bs blah blah without any scientific information or research to back it up to begin with. Personally I pay no attention to it.
    Everyone around me say the same crap, I ignore all too.

But recently, I got my health check. The result came out fine ( most of it beyond being well ). However, my "live enzymes" (not sure if it the right English word ) is higher than normal. And the doctor ask a few questions about it like what do I eat.

So ehh...my answer was: ton of vege, whole grain bread, chicken breast, milk, pork.... and then the eggs.
    "How many egg ?" - "around 10 every day"
    "what !! you're kidding me. Why so much egg ? Egg yolk are not good for liver. No more than 2 eggs a day from now on. Or you liver gonna fail you someday....."

OK so this guy is a doctor, of a hospital where I came to get a full body health check. He's a doctor, saying all that....

btw - living in Vietnam, my home country atm.

This is why I would appreciate some scientific information and researching about the issue.

Thanks.

ps: I don't smoke, gave up on drinking any alcohol for years already.

I'm not a doctor, and would never advise anyone to ignore their doctor's advice. The old-myth knock on egg consumption centers on eggs' cholesterol content, and it's effect on blood levels of cholesterol in humans. I'll simply post this info, and then let you decide for yourself what to do/not do:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/134/1/187.full

If judged as a whole food, and not simply as a source of dietary cholesterol, the positive contribution of eggs to a healthy diet becomes apparent. Because eggs are a conventional food containing nutrients that play fundamental roles beyond basic nutrition, their promotion as a functional food should be considered. This discussion has examined the possible role of egg nutrients in the prevention and treatment of specific symptoms associated with chronic age-related diseases. Furthermore, evidence has been presented showing that the current blanket recommendations regarding dietary cholesterol and egg intake are unwarranted for the majority of people and are not supported by scientific data.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16340654

SUMMARY:

For these reasons, dietary recommendations aimed at restricting egg consumption should not be generalized to include all individuals. We need to acknowledge that diverse healthy populations experience no risk in developing coronary heart disease by increasing their intake of cholesterol but, in contrast, they may have multiple beneficial effects by the inclusion of eggs in their regular diet.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12672915
    Although the LDL/HDL ratio was increased in male hyperresponders after the high cholesterol period, the mean increase experienced by this population was still within National Cholesterol Education Program guidelines. Furthermore, male hyperresponders had higher lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase (P < 0.05) and cholesteryl ester transfer protein (P < 0.05) activities during the egg period, which suggests an increase in reverse cholesterol transport. These data suggest that additional dietary cholesterol does not increase the risk of developing an atherogenic lipoprotein profile in healthy men, regardless of their response classification.

http://www.ovosbrasil.com.br/downloa...on,%202004.pdf

(LONG READ)

In conclusion, the
    results of this study clearly indicate that egg intake by a healthy
    population of men and premenopausal women does not have
    negative health implications with regard to LDL atherogenicity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15640512

The most recent American Heart Association guidelines no longer include a recommendation to limit egg consumption, but recommend the adoption of eating practices associated with good health. Based on the epidemiologic evidence, there is no reason to think that such a healthy eating pattern could not include eggs.

I would add that very few MDs can manage to invest the time to remain up-to-date on nutrition information; their study focus is usually on more-specific medical topics. Not sure about where your doc studied for his doctorate, but here in the US, only about 30% of the medical schools require a separate nutrition course as a requirement for graduation.

I'll also add that there is a large body of anecdotal evidence in this, as well as other forums on this site, of many trainees consuming dozens of eggs per week, and having excellent health and blood work results.

Out of curiosity, whereabouts are you living in Viet Nam?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Originally Posted by jamesovercome View Post
    I won't argue on that and totally agree. It helped me gain 20kg in 1,5years

@ironwill2008 : thank you so much for all the info. I just spent 2 hours reading them. Learned quite a lot
    Ho Chi Minh city is where I am living now

I think I might take the yolk off my plate for 1 month, then get the blood test again. See if it will make any change or not.

1 side question: atm im 77kg ~20%bf. I read somewhere that I need atleast 2-3g protein per kg which is 221g protein/day. Does that apply for the total weight of me ? Or after you take out the 20% bf ( mean only 61.6kg need 123g-184g protein per day ? )

Thanks again
    Last edited by Vinc7; 11-15-2015 at 07:22 AM.

@ironwill2008 : thank you so much for all the info. I just spent 2 hours reading them. Learned quite a lot
    YW. It should help dispel some of the bad press eggs still seem to get.

I think I might take the yolk off my plate for 1 month, then get the blood test again. See if it will make any change or not.
    That's an excellent plan.

1 side question: atm im 77kg ~20%bf. I read somewhere that I need atleast 2-3g protein per kg which is 221g protein/day. Does that apply for the total weight of me ? Or after you take out the 20% bf ( mean only 61.6kg need 123g-184g protein per day ? )

Thanks again
    A good rule of thumb to follow is to simply consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

When I was there in 1970, it was called Saigon. I was stationed in Vinh Long with the US Army, and passed through there many times on convoys between Vinh Long and Cam Ranh Bay. I would imagine all those cities are very different now.

I hope you are doing well. Have a good day.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Registered User rizwanyounis516's Avatar
    rizwanyounis516 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No, it will not cause damage to your liver but It is very helpful for your health.

Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000) Tonkin is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Sorry but thats a wierd question?

shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50) shbli will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I won't argue on that and totally agree. It helped me gain 20kg in 1,5years

Thanks again
    Man, you take 10 eggs a day, that's too much

Try, 4-5 whole eggs, then mix that with egg whites or bacon for extra protein in the meal.

Too much of something good does not mean more good, I get 4 whole eggs a day seems fine.

Protein intake of 150-170g would do fine for you, I get 125g and I gain strength in the gym and I'm cutting.
    www.shbli.com

Originally Posted by Tonkin View Post
    Sorry but thats a wierd question?
    Yes, I know that ^^!

@ironwill2008: i just took the blood test again and it shows almost the same to last one. This time i talked with another doctor and he explained that because of my eating ( eat a lot, many meals a day ) and exercise habit cause the liver to work a bit harder. Its normal but in my country, its weird because most doctors are not familiar with sport, nutrition for them....
    They apply the same knowledge for every ones and doesn't really take in account if some people workout or not.
    Last edited by Vinc7; 01-04-2016 at 07:40 AM.

Originally Posted by shbli View Post

Try, 4-5 whole eggs, then mix that with egg whites or bacon for extra protein in the meal.

Too much of something good does not mean more good, I get 4 whole eggs a day seems fine.

Protein intake of 150-170g would do fine for you, I get 125g and I gain strength in the gym and I'm cutting.
    I'm not a big fan of Bacon. But I do mix vegetable such as red & green bell pepper, mushroom, onion with the egg
    I don't eat 10 eggs in one meal. ~4 for BF, 2 for snack, ~4 for late meal at night
    Not everyday 10 though, someday only 4 for BF

Thanks for the protein tip

Yes, I know that ^^!

@ironwill2008: i just took the blood test again and it shows almost the same to last one.
    So eating or not eating the yolks made very little difference.

I'm not surprised. Unless someone happens to be genetically predisposed to having high levels of blood cholesterol, that condition is not related to levels of dietary cholesterol being consumed.

This time i talked with another doctor and he explained that because of my eating ( eat a lot, many meals a day ) and exercise habit cause the liver to work a bit harder. Its normal but in my country, its weird because most doctors are not familiar with sport, nutrition for them....
    Lack of basic nutrition knowledge among doctors isn't limited to just your country; here in the US, only about a third of all medical schools even require a separate nutrition course in order to obtain a medical degree.

(This isn't a slam on doctors; most are probably proficient at their actual specialty. It's simply one reason why they shouldn't be considered a good source of nutrition information/advice.)
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've done a lot of reading on eggs, a lot of the studies seem to suggest that:

#1: Eggs don't really boost up the "bad" cholesterol, and in fact boost the good:bad ratio of cholesterol
    #2: Saturated Fat (eggs have quite a bit of this) isn't the enemy, there are now new studies suggesting that there are different types of saturated fat and not all of it is bad for you
    #3: There are studies that examine people who eat 2-3 eggs per day and the results are that there is no evidence of higher cholesterol in those subjects
    #4: Eggs seem to boost bad cholesterol in diabetics
    #5: There are a "few" people who have their bad cholesterol levels heightened if they consume a lot of eggs (which doesn't seem to be your case) but it's not something that is very common

With that said, according to research eggs aren't an artery clogger as once thought. And eating even 2 eggs per day seems to be perfectly fine. However, with that said it isn't a license to go and eat 10 eggs per day. As far as I know there aren't any studies on that. I'm sure a lot of people who consume over 30+ eggs a week are perfectly healthy and haven't developed any health complications. Then again, people who consume that many eggs are people who tend to live more active lifestyles to begin with, so that can certainly contribute to the health aspect. Sure, there is no evidence to suggest that eating 10 eggs a day is going to kill you, but it is always better to be safe than sorry and take things in moderation. There are probably more unhealthier things than taking 10 eggs per day, like smoking, your binge drinking saturday parties, drinking coke everyday, etc.

And I'm not saying to not trust doctors, but many general practice doctors are not experts in the nutrition field or even up to date on current research. Especially the older doctors, they are more likely to tell you that eggs are terrible for you if you eat more than one a day. That is because of the 70's/80's/90's were people were just preaching that stuff. But at the same time though, doctors don't want to tell you something irresponsible and be held liable for it. In my opinion, if I really need an answer to any serious medical/physical related problems I would see a specialist. If it is just a general check up or I need some tests done on me I go to a general practitioner.
    Last edited by sooby; 01-05-2016 at 01:03 PM.
    positivity brah crew
    dont take my posts too srs crew srs
    JFL @ everything crew
    lol @ tradies srs crew
    BIG LOL @ sky tradies srs crew (RealAesthetic)
    indian crew
    living in clown world crew so screw it crew
    anti-degen crew

f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000) f4k is a complete loser! (-2000)
    In a healthy person, the body is producing 85% of the cholesterol. Only 15% comes from the diet. You can't hurt yourself by eating excess cholesterol since the dietary source in a healthy person is almost insignificant. Only people with a genetic problem that produce too much cholesterol themselves (their bodies are making too much already) have to watch their intake. I have a feeling I will be one of those MD telling healthy people to eat 5 or 10 eggs a day.
    only one whey

Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Redfish225 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jamesovercome View Post
    Repped.
    I love eggs.

dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by shbli View Post

First off, everybody is different so saying what you do personally is fine, but you can't really define what is "too much" for someone else.

To speak to the original question; a diet high in saturated fat may adversely affect insulin sensitivity, and if it's a high percentage; studies have found around 12-24% of total calorie intake, then yes you can put yourself at risk for non alcoholic fatty liver disease due to things such as JNK activation, ER stress, oxidative stress that may occur. Does this mean the amount of eggs you are eating will cause liver damage..no, there are many other factors that needed to be taken into account. Even if you eat 10 eggs a day, that's about 15g of saturated fat..under 150kcals; depending on the rest of your diet, should be no issue.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right!"-Henry Ford

Registered User RyanJayRobinson's Avatar
    RyanJayRobinson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No it doesnt