Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000)

The Australian's American Football Training Log

Thought I'd give this a go as I don't do much with my days apart from train (uni student on break).

Background; Found myself a bit bulky for Aussie rules football after leaving highschool, was getting shin splints from all the running. My mate got me onto football highlight videos on youtube in early 2012 and I was hooked, so I found my closest club and began training with them.

I've been weight training 'properly' for about 2 years and I guess I am reasonably strong, main focus at the moment is speed though.

I play Outside Linebacker for my club, I could play Tight end too but my team doesn't run them.

My goals for football in itself are;

1. Make the Australian Outback International Team for the 2015 World Cup.
    2. Make the Allstar South squad in my State.
    3. Make the State team in 2014 (no national comp this year).
    4. Get Rookie of the year for my local club.

I did my first testing for the Australian team a week ago, here are my times and distances;
    40yd - 5.4s
    20yd Shuttle - 5.06s
    Broad Jump - 2.43m
    3kg Kneeling Med Ball Throw - 11.66m

Was just a short testing, the next one will have the bench test, 10x40yds and L-cone.

I weigh 103kg and I'm 6'3.

My athletic/lifting goals for this year are;

40yd - 4.9s
    Broad - 2.7m
    Bench test - 12-15reps
    Deadlift - 220kg
    Squat - 200kg
    Power clean - 120kg
    Bench - 140kg

@ 110kg BW ~15% bodyfat

JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Woke up and went to the gym at 7am and did light cardio for 40 mins and some core on an empty stomach. Was really itching to go across the road and do some agilities but I have a game tomorrow night so I think it was best that I took it easy and just hydrated and ate well. My chest is a bit sore from yesterday, had to drive 5 hours back from a mates holiday house but I was itching for the gym so I had a mid intensity workout.

I have 3 games left in the season, we must win them all to go through to the finals. We've got a night game against the reigning premiers but we beat them last time. Really not a fan of night games, can't do anything too exciting during the day and you've just got the urge to play.

My goal for the game is to make a few TFL's, and hopefully the opportunity for a sack or interception appears. Really have to work on coming downhill from the start if I want to make those TFL's.

I'll let you know how I go after the game.

Heres a video of me doing power cleans with horrendous form with 80kg.

add (www) to the link, can't post a direct link coz my post count isn't enough.

.youtube.com/watch?v=5sbW7ML-tuI&feature=youtu.be

Just got home from the game, a total washout, 28-50. Coaches and a few players got into arguing with the refs, think about 6 unsportsmanlike conduct calls were made (15 yards a pop).

I strained my right shoulders rotator cuff on my first tackle of the night, played on it for a while and then totally blew it out doing a dive to take out the RB's legs.

Absolute shocking night.

Will be working out tomorrow, either doing legs at the gym or agilities and plyos at home and across at the park. Depends on my shoulder, no point going to the gym to do legs if all I can do is leg press and ham curls.

JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good luck with your goals bro, Make sure you get that shoulder checked out. And start to include injury prevention work in your program

When I started playing seriously I didn't give my small injuries time to heal then I had to spend around 6 months(including summer) doing rehab and getting fat instead of playing. So get that rehab done!
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    Michael Jordan

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162469881&p=1257904381#post1257904381

Originally Posted by JamieQB8 View Post
    Good luck with your goals bro, Make sure you get that shoulder checked out. And start to include injury prevention work in your program

When I started playing seriously I didn't give my small injuries time to heal then I had to spend around 6 months(including summer) doing rehab and getting fat instead of playing. So get that rehab done!
    Thanks man. I have a physio on my team that I saw when I did the exact same thing to my other shoulder, just going to ice it and slam the ibuprofen for the next days and if there isn't much improvement I'll go see him at the clinic.

That sucks about your 6 months out man, I guess I'm fortunate that I'll just have to take it easy at the gym for the next month and get it strapped before games, but I still absolutely hate not being at my best.

7/1/13 Monday

Went to the gym this morning and did fasted light cardio for 40 minutes, just walked on an incline the whole time then stretched.

Shoulder is feeling a bit better but I think it will need 2 weeks at least out of the gym, but I have 2 games left in the season that I'm not gonna miss so no doubt that will set me back. Have just been icing it 3-4 times a day and take Nurofen (Ibuprofen).

8/1/13 Tuesday

3x10 Box jumps with 10kg Weighted Vest
    3x10 Single leg box calf raises

Stretching

Warm ups for front squats then;
    5x80kg
    5x90kg
    1x100kg (was going to do 3-5 but felt my hamstring twinge a bit so I decided to lay off it).

3x10 Static lunges with 17.5kg dumbells each hand.

3x8 Hip flexor raises (machine)

2 super sets of Russian twists and sit ups.

Overall a decent legs day, the most I ever front squatted before this was 80kg so I'm pleased, form needs some work in the area of keeping my upper back from arching over due to the weight. Will post vid of 90kg FS later on.

Shoulder is recovering well due to good management through icing and contrast showers, also using an arthritis/joint cream on it which is pretty good.

In other news I did a supplement order from biovea;
    2x Predator - PWO caps with creatine, beta alanine, citruline malate and some other crap
    2x BCAA's
    2x Vitamin B12 - Keen to see if this stuff does noticeably increase energy levels and metabolism.

9/1/13 Wednesday

Walking on an incline for 40 minutes, just keeping my heart rate at 100. Proceeded to do light stretches.

Had football practice in the afternoon, some warmups then into some conditioning. Left early when we were running pass protection as I had somewhere to be and I wasn't getting much out of it.

11/1/13 Friday

Did the usual 30 minutes walking on an incline and 10 minutes on the bike, then did my stretches and supersetted russian twists with sit ups.

My shoulder is feeling at almost 100% I'd say, managed this injury so much better than when I did the same thing to my other shoulder. Have a game at midday tomorrow, do or die, if we lose this one we are definitely out, but we are in good stead to win as long as we don't have a problem with the refs again.

Will start lifting again next week so hopefully my log is a bit more interesting.

12/1/13 Saturday

Real tough game today, nurofen has my bowels all blocked up lol and we were playing in 35 degree celsius heat. I played D tackle/nose and some OLB, not much was happening my side of the field when I was at OLB and I wasn't able to get any sacks when called on blitzes (need more speed). D-Line was a fun change though, I'm a lot faster than most O-Linemen so I was getting cut by the centre at every snap but I stepped over him each time with relatively no slow down.

I think unfortunately at the moment I am a slow linebacker but a fast defensive linemen, either way it doesn't change my goals for next season.

13/1/13 Sunday

My diet yesterday was so messed up, I had 18 inches of subway after my game, then my mates came over and I had 6 lo-carb beers and a large quarter pounder meal and McFlurry. Don't really regret it, would've burnt a large amount of calories over the course of the game and I rarely eat that much.

Didn't do any exercise today, both my shoulders have DOMs from playing D-Line and my hips are pretty sore too. Had an icebath tonight which has got me feeling better. Very keen to get back into weights tomorrow.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    jumping in to follow...

where in Aus are you from???
    Sleepy.

Cheers man, I'm from Perth in WA, are you an Aussie gridiron player?

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by JardmanOLB View Post
    Cheers man, I'm from Perth in WA, are you an Aussie gridiron player?
    na scottish... and rugby i guess.. not that i have time to play now - still train for it though...
    Sleepy.

Ah right, we have a big Scottish boy on my team, over on working holiday. Gotta make time man!

Ah right, we have a big Scottish boy on my team, over on working holiday. Gotta make time man!
    i work saturdays so kind of a fail there...
    Sleepy.

That's unfortunate man, at least you're still training for the day you dont have to work weekends anymore.

Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    In to support you. Keep it up

Originally Posted by Uhmyeti View Post
    In to support you. Keep it up
    Cheers mate!

14/1/13 Monday

Shoulders are fairly healthy now so I went to hit the weights.

5 mins on the bike

Pre-game stretch routine

Deadlifts;
    5x60kg
    5x100kg
    3x120kg
    3x140kg
    3x160kg
    Attempted 180kg, didn't even get it off the ground the first 2 times, 3rd time I got it up halfway (just before the hips come into action) and my grip gave way
    - That was a bit unfortunate but considering the most I've deadlifted in my life before now was like 155kg for one rep, I'm fairly content.

Bent-over rows (torso at ~45degrees);
    5x60kg
    5x80kg
    5x90kg
    5x80kg

Dumbell Shoulder Press (was going to get into push press but I didn't think my lower back could take it after attempting 1RM DL);
    12x12.5kg
    10x15kg
    8x20kg
    8x22.5kg
    8x22.5kg
    -Obviously not a huge effort due to my shoulders not being at 100%

Bench Press;
    3x8x60kg
    -Was testing my shoulders flexibility on the bench

3x12x10kg Back Extensions

3xSupersets of Russian twists with 15 situps

Basically my first workout to be predominantly big compound lifts, just warming myself up for the off season to come doing Bill Starr's 5x5. I also have football training tonight but Monday nights are never intense, just a bit of conditioning and learning.

My supps arrived just before going to the gym so that was cool, I felt quite a bit more focused than usual, and a sense of invincibility I guess (so my testosterone must've been pumping and no I don't mean I use gear lol). I feel pretty eff'd right at the moment, which would be my CNS questioning whether it's real life after not doing deadlifts in ages.

Also I have started eating more as I think my metabolism has picked up over the last 6-8 weeks, I'm hoping I get big gains this year as I have finally got my diet right.

haha awesome PR then... and i wouldn't have trie to pick it up the third time after the first two attempts it seems... good effort but watch yourself...

so is it a summer sport there then???
    Sleepy.

Yeah mate, first 2 attempts I think I gave up too easy, was gonna call it quits after the 3rd.

Yeah we follow the NFL season pretty much lol, the championship is the 9th of Feb.

Played flag tonight for a bit of fun at training, and just my luck, copped a QB's arm to my thumb as I put my hand up to tap the ball, swollen like nothing else and it's impinging on my others fingers ability to move...I'm just hoping its not broken, which would mean missing the finals, the possibility of the allstar game and a late start to my off season schedule.

Update

So, my thumb is fractured across the joint, this caused inflammation that screwed with my carpal tunnel.. which made my other fingers more numb and painful than my thumb. Sat in the ER for 3 hours with my pain levels rising the whole time, it was excruciating. Finally got an x-ray and get sent through, get given stuff more powerful than morphine and it takes like an hour to kick in. Then I get my cast made up, and I'm told I'm in a cast for 4 weeks and probably no sport for 6 months.

Feeling pretty sorry for myself lol, no finals, no hope of playing allstar game and if that 6 months includes not lifting weights.... well I'll be doing a lot of plyos and sprints then lol.
    Last edited by JardmanOLB; 01-14-2013 at 07:53 PM.

wow - plaster for 4 weeks but nothing for 6 months... i hope for you it isnt that long....
    Sleepy.

TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheRealNumber2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ah, that sucks man. I know how you're feeling. Couple of years back I fractured my 1st meta carpul playing rugby. Ended up in two casts and having an operation to keep movement in my thumb. The time frame they give you is conservative. I was in a cast for about 1 month and a half in total, but I was dedicated to my physio exercises and practiced good nutrition and I was back in the gym within a month. They told me no weights for six months too. Obviously each injury is different so i can't promise anything. Just don't give up and keep fit however you can.

Thanks for the support guys. I'm going to remain active and maintain my diet, at least I can still do some plyos, light cardio and core work. I hope it's a similar case for me realnumber! Seems so much fuss over a thumb fracture but ah well!

Thanks for the support guys. I'm going to remain active and maintain my diet, at least I can still do some plyos, light cardio and core work. I hope it's a similar case for me realnumber! Seems so much fuss over a thumb fracture but ah well!
    once the main pain is gone...

its running time - Squat - GHR etc... so much you can do...
    Sleepy.

Yeah man, least its forcing me to focus on speed development.

16/1/13 Wednesday

Stretches

Leg Press;
    12x80kg
    8x160kg
    8x200kg
    8x240kg
    8x240kg
    (Idk how much the machine weighs so the weights are just the plates).

3xCircuit of quad extensions, bodyweight lunges and hip flexor raises

30 minutes incline walking

3x20 situps

solid stuff considering everything...
    Sleepy.

17/1/13 Thursday

Decided to do plyos in the backyard.

All done with 10kg Weighted Vest on.

Stretches.

High knees and lateral steps with ankle resistance bands on.

3x10 Box Jumps (at an estimate I'd say the platform is 15 inches)

3x6 Lunge Jumps

2x10 Step ups with a calf raise at the top (each leg)

My cast is going to smell delicious when it comes off.

All I can say is thank god the Aus Open is running at the moment or I would be EXTREMELY bored.

at least you have good weather so can go outside... snow here and its not so fun!!!
    Sleepy.