auden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training late at night

Due to my lifestyle I am now training around 11pm and finishing after midnight.
    I actually really enjoy it. It is a good way for me to wind down after a usually full and busy day.
    I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. i.e. is it too late.
    Also, how should I eat afterwards as I go to sleep fairly soon after training.

KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KrohDaddi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i did that a lot at one point in my life
    whatever may be better, if this is the only time you have it is better than doing nothing.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by auden View Post
    I actually really enjoy it. It is a good way for me to wind down after a usually full and busy day.
    The "best" time to train is whenever you can actually get in the gym and train. From what you posted, it sounds like it fits you well, which will translate into better/quicker progress.

As far as eating goes, if you've hit your macro totals for the day so far, and eat a small balanced meal about an hour before you train, then the post-workout meal is much less important. Just about anything with a balance of carbs/protein/fat will be just fine.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Whenever you train is the right time, there is no too late.
    I would say also just eat normally before you go to bed, I don't think it matters that your getting ready for sleep, if the body needs food it needs food

auden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) auden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    The "best" time to train is whenever you can actually get in the gym and train. From what you posted, it sounds like it fits you well, which will translate into better/quicker progress.

As far as eating goes, if you've hit your macro totals for the day so far, and eat a small balanced meal about an hour before you train, then the post-workout meal is much less important. Just about anything with a balance of carbs/protein/fat will be just fine.
    Thanks for that. I was concerned I might not be doing myself any favours.

msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500) msru is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I've read or seen on tv, sorry no source, that exercise too late at night right before bed may hinder your sleep cycle. However, you didn't state when you go to bed, so I assume you're getting plenty of sleep.
    I work nights so I go to the gym around 2am.
    My Workout and Diet Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132284633

2009-2010 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125381851

Originally Posted by msru View Post
    I've read or seen on tv, sorry no source, that exercise too late at night right before bed may hinder your sleep cycle. However, you didn't state when you go to bed, so I assume you're getting plenty of sleep.
    I work nights so I go to the gym around 2am.
    No problem with getting to sleep, though my 2 year old son sees to it that I don't get too much.

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do it twice a week on weeknights. I love it.
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

Originally Posted by StressMonkey View Post
    I do it twice a week on weeknights. I love it.
    it's good isn't it, I've just worked my shoulders and feel the best I have all day. A bite to eat, a protein shake and 1/2 hours crap on T.V. now, Magic!

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Nope, nothing wrong with that. I train from 11pm to midnight every time. When my gym was open to 1am, I used to train from midnight to 1am. Doesn't much matter when you train, as long as you git 'er done.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    Doesn't much matter when you train, as long as you git 'er done.
    ^^^^This is pretty much the bottom line. And although it's common knowledge that Testosterone levels are highest in the morning, it's never been proven that even that time of day is better than any other, as far as weight training is concerned.

Simply being consistent, and getting in there on schedule , at whatever time, is what feeds the bulldog.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I train at home and I sometimes train late at night starting at 10pm or midnight. There are times I will train at 4am in the morning. The time of the day or night has no significant impact on my training. Regardless of when I train, I have my pre-workout creatine-dextrose-BCAA drink and my post-workout Creatine-dextrose-BCAA-whey protein drink.

simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10) simmer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yep, research has proven over and over that the time of day you eat or train has no significance. like msru stated, just ensure you get enough rest. the body isn't biased on when you eat as long as you do not overeat at any point in time. a good friend of mine states he does his best weight training and experiences more bulking when he is tired. keep up the good work.
    Lift and Separate
    AFPA Certified Personal Trainer