The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Muscle strength in a nutshell

User Tevez asked this question in the supplement science section. I decided to answer his question here, since there is no "exercise science" section, but it still is a better place to talk about muscle strength than the supp. science section.

Originally Posted by tevez View Post
    Just wondering, what determines the strength of a muscle, we know its not the size of a muscle, so what is it? density? the amount of things such as creatine, phosphocreatine etc. present in the muscle? anyone have any idea?
    I will try to keep it as simple as possible, but there are some concepts that still need to be explained properly.
    If I missed any details you consider important, fell free to add comments. Feel also free to ask questions.
    I give credit to a few sites from which I got this info at the end of the post. I have extracted a lot of quotes literally from these sites (much easier to copy/paste than try to "reformulate" everything). I think these sites belong to the public domain so I shouldn't be in trouble for using their info. Don't hesitate to visit these sites to add to the very basic knowledge I tried to teach you here.
    This post may seem to be pretty long, but there isn't that much words, there are a lot of pictures that take up a lot of space.
    And finally, don't be too impressed by "big" words...they are just words. I try to use them in a context that facilitates comprehension.

First of all, in order to determine what determines strength, we have to understand what causes a muscle to flex.

Each muscle fibers contains:
    - an array of myofibrils that are stacked lengthwise and run the entire length of the fiber.
    - mitochondria
    - an extensive smooth endoplasmic reticulum (SER)
    - many nuclei.

The inside of the muscle cell is called sarcoplasm, hence what you may have already heard as sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

The multiple nuclei arise from the fact that each muscle fiber develops from the fusion of many cells (called myoblasts).

Each myofibril is made up of arrays of parallel filaments.
    - The thick filaments have a diameter of about 15 nm. They are composed of the protein myosin.
    - The thin filaments have a diameter of about 5 nm. They are composed chiefly of the protein actin along with smaller amounts of two other proteins:
    troponin and tropomyosin.

The entire array of thick and thin filaments between the Z lines is called a sarcomere. Shortening of the sarcomeres in a myofibril produces the shortening of the myofibril and, in turn, of the muscle fiber of which it is a part...the muscle is "contracting" or "flexing".

Now, we must ask: what causes these sarcomeres to shorten?

The contraction of skeletal muscle is controlled by the nervous system.
    When the nervous impulse reach the neuromuscular junction, it produces a cascade of effects that are quite complicated, probably too complicated for this discussion. You can read more here: http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...scularJunction and here:http://muscle.ucsd.edu/musintro/ecc.shtml

One thing which is important to remember about this junction, is: it results in depolarisation of the muscle membrane, but since there isn't a junction on every single cell, the depolarisation weakens as it "travels" to surrounding cells. A resting muscle usually receives about 60 impulses per second, whereas a muscle at 100% strength output can go up to 600 impulses per second.

Now we know what triggers the shortening of the sarcomere, but we do not know what fuels it:

ATP is the immediate source of energy for muscle contraction. Although a muscle fiber contains only enough ATP to power a few twitches, its ATP "pool" is replenished as needed. There are three sources of high-energy phosphate to keep the ATP pool filled.
    - creatine phosphate
    - glycogen
    - cellular respiration in the mitochondria of the fibers.
    This is enough for our discussion. You may want to see this url for more info on this "fueling" : http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult....html#creatine
    and these url for more info on how ATP is re-synthetized:
    http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...spiration.html
    especially the very important (but oh so nightmare-ishly complicated) Krebs Cycle (also called citric acid cycle):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid_cycle

Finally,
    Type I Fibers
    - loaded with mitochondria and depend on cellular respiration for ATP production
    - resistant to fatigue
    - rich in myoglobin and hence red in color
    - activated by small-diameter, thus slow-conducting, motor neurons
    - also known as "slow-twitch" fibers
    - dominant in muscles that depend on tonus, e.g., those responsible for posture

Type II Fibers
    - few mitochondria
    - rich in glycogen and depend on glycolysis for ATP production
    - fatigue easily
    - low in myoglobin hence whitish in color
    - activated by large-diameter, thus fast-conducting, motor neurons
    - also known as "fast-twitch" fibers
    - dominant in muscles used for rapid movement
    - there are IIa and IIb fibers. Some studies have suggested that IIa fibers could undergo changes to become type I, but not IIb.

Most skeletal muscles contain some mixture of Type I and Type II fibers, but a single motor unit always contains one type or the other, never both.

At last, we have sufficient knowledge to answer Tevez' question

First of all, Tevez wrote: "we know its not the size of a muscle". This is not exactly true. Since we now know the structure of a muscle cell, we know that hypertropy must comes from either:
    - sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, or
    - myofibrillar hypertrophy.
    Since the contraction forces comes from myofibrils, a bigger muscle that has more myofibrils will have more "capacity" to grow stronger. This is not to say that sarcoplasm hypertrophy is useless. A bigger sarcoplasm will result in higher ATP stores, higher CP stores, higher glycogen stores and more mitochondria to produce energy. Also, a muscle that contains a higher concentration of type II fibers will be stronger, because of type II fibers' better capacity to produce energy.

However, muscle size is not the "limiting factor". One can look at middleweight olympic lifters who lift huge amount of weight, or Amanda Harris, aka Barbie Barbell, and can see that these people have very high strength levels without huge bulking muscles.

This is where our discussion of the nervous system becomes so important. As we train, not only do our muscles grow bigger, vascularity increases (angiogenesis), increase their capacity to produce energy and re-synthetize ATP, but also the "nervation" (couldn't find a better word) of the muscle increases. You remember when I wrote "since there isn't a junction on every single cell, the depolarisation weakens as it "travels" to surrounding cells". That's where the "mystery" lies: as there are more and more neuromuscular junctions in your muscle, you can recruit a lot more fibers, and they can be recruited at a "higher rate". Also, the nervous system may become stronger, i.e. the strength of the impulse becomes stronger (http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...ls.html#action).

I hope it answers your question, Tevez, and I hope it answers a lot of questions that any other readers may have had. Of course, any student in biochemistry, medecine, and these kind of fields could find a lot of stuff missing in my discussion, but remember that I try to keep it as simple as possible...

References:
    http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...M/Muscles.html
    http://muscle.ucsd.edu/musintro/jump.shtml
    http://en.wikipedia.org
    Also a few books:
    - Tudor O. Bompa, Lorenzo J. Cornacchia, Serious Strength Training, Human Kinetics Pub, 301 pp
    - Tudor O. Bompa, Theory and Methodology of Training: The Key to Athletic Performance, Kendall Hunt Pub Co, 381 pp
    Last edited by The_cannibal; 12-15-2007 at 12:32 PM.

finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) finfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Reps for confusing the sh!t out of me
    Currently on Defranco's Built Like A Badass.

The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by finfan View Post
    Reps for confusing the sh!t out of me
    That's funny. When I was in university, I had to explain the whole Krebs cycle. I once had an exam where there was only 3 questions, one of those was "Explain the Krebs cycle", it was worth like 50% of the whole exam.

I came close to introduce Krebs cycle concepts in this discussion, because it is so important to understand energy production in a cell, but I decided it was probably too complex, so I left it out, and only included a link to 2 web pages that introcuded it.

Sorry for confusing you that much

user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) user5145 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good post man. Very informative. Are you a Biochemistry student?
    On the individual:

His responses grow intelligent, or gain meaning, simply because he lives and acts in a medium of accepted meanings and values. Through social intercourse, through sharing in the activities embodying beliefs, he gradually acquires a mind of his own. The conception of mind as a purely isolated possession of the self is at the very antipodes of the truth.

- John Dewey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher.

~Ambrose Bierce

Originally Posted by kingtego View Post
    Good post man. Very informative. Are you a Biochemistry student?
    Actually, no, however, I had biochemistry courses as part as my B. Sc. (1993).

kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500) kick ass dude is not very helpful. (-500)
    well there is an exercise forum, but i agree it's crap. elitist board ftl, and when you see things like leg press is as good as squats... amazing how much powerlifting is hated there and called useless, when there's nothing more useless than training for looks
    "w2hen i say im built for this **** i mean it."

Mr_Angry

U Mad Cuz I Stylin'

gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gobbles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by The_cannibal View Post
    That's funny. When I was in university, I had to explain the whole Krebs cycle. I once had an exam where there was only 3 questions, one of those was "Explain the Krebs cycle", it was worth like 50% of the whole exam.

I came close to introduce Krebs cycle concepts in this discussion, because it is so important to understand energy production in a cell, but I decided it was probably too complex, so I left it out, and only included a link to 2 web pages that introcuded it.

Jeez, i hate biology and the stupid kreb cycle, it confuses the hell out of me
    There is no reason to live if you cannot do the deadlift

big fuzzy and tator squat to much..... not

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Excellent post.

Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000) Juic3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    cliffs?

iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iliketojuggle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
    cliffs?
    You cant "cliffs" it.. You have to read the whole thing to really get it..

Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That is a great post ever consider writing and getting your name out?
    ill rep you if you're using common sense

www.squatsandmilk.com

Originally Posted by kick ass dude View Post
    well there is an exercise forum, but i agree it's crap. elitist board ftl, and when you see things like leg press is as good as squats... amazing how much powerlifting is hated there and called useless, when there's nothing more useless than training for looks
    Yeah, I was thinking of either the exercise section, or the workout program section, or the powerlifting section. So I chose the one that seemed most oriented towards strength knowledge...

Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    That is a great post ever consider writing and getting your name out?
    Thanks

To be honest, big parts of this text were taken straight out of other web pages, but I just reorganized it so it could be easier to understand, and I added some of my own "conclusion".

I was thinking of doing a kind of Q&A thread, but I'm not sure in which section to do it. I could pretty much answer most questions on biochemistry, endocrinology, steroids, pro-hormones, supplements, training science (kinesiology) and these kind of things.

Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tyro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks

To be honest, big parts of this text were taken straight out of other web pages, but I just reorganized it so it could be easier to understand, and I added some of my own "conclusion".

I was thinking of doing a kind of Q&A thread, but I'm not sure in which section to do it. I could pretty much answer most questions on biochemistry, endocrinology, steroids, pro-hormones, supplements, training science (kinesiology) and these kind of things.
    Sound sinterasting, i think i could use someone with such vast knowledge, pmed.
    ill rep you if you're using common sense

www.squatsandmilk.com

tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tevez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great post cannibal. Answered my question and more. thanks...

Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quarter Nelson will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Funny indeed, I had a test about a month ago where 50% of the exam was an essay question: Explain Kreb's cycle. I just studied for like three hours the night before, only reason I passed the test. Of course I completely forgot everything within a week.

Reps because I could actually understand what you're saying, unlike my biology textbook.
    PR's:
    Bench: 300 lbs
    Back Squat: 380 lbs
    Clean and Jerk: 130 kg (286 lbs)
    Snatch: 100 kg (220 lbs)
    Deadlift: 5 x 345 lbs

jesus thinks youre a jerk ehlpitel's Avatar
    ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50) ehlpitel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What'd you study?
    How many gymrats does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Seven. One to screw in the bulb and six to say, "Bro, you're huge, man! Ripped!"

stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50) stenzinator will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wow parts of that are word for word from my brothers university biology text book. that exact diagram is in it. u must know ur ****. i think it all gets too confusing with that stuff, i wonder if the pros know all the science behind what theyre doing

Originally Posted by ehlpitel View Post
    What'd you study?
    You'll find that funny, but I studied Forestry. We had biochemistry courses in the program. I took a lot of out-of-faculty courses while I was doing my B.Sc.
    I was already an athlete, so I also studied a lot on kinesiology, endocrinology, etc. I thought endocrinology could be very interesting; you know, HPTA and that kind of stuff, but we saw a lot of stuff on autocrine and paracrine stuff, not just endocrine hormones. It ended up being a bit boring at times.

Originally Posted by stenzinator View Post
    wow parts of that are word for word from my brothers university biology text book. that exact diagram is in it. u must know ur ****. i think it all gets too confusing with that stuff, i wonder if the pros know all the science behind what theyre doing
    Most pro bodybuilders and pro powerlifters are genetically gifted. I would say that 95% of them know nothing about science: they either improvise or they follow their coach's advice.

ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ottorotvic has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So, after reading that and taking a while to absorb it, the real question is:

Do you think that if I can leg press 900 lbs for 3 reps, that I can do a 300 lb raw, atg squat? What do you think my suited max might be?
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ottorotciv

Smile

Originally Posted by ottorotvic View Post
    So, after reading that and taking a while to absorb it, the real question is:

Do you think that if I can leg press 900 lbs for 3 reps, that I can do a 300 lb raw, atg squat? What do you think my suited max might be?
    LOL
    I think that's beyond the scope of this thread

Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    good post.

I found this page to be very helpful as well.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/muscle2.htm
    Dude if it walked, flew, or swam at one point, eat it - SolidSteel86