Closed Thread
Page 53 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2523
    RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50) RoseBulls will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RoseBulls View Post
    Anyone able to recommend me a good acoustic guitar for a beginner?
    The music I'd sort of like to be able to play would be like Oasis, The Kooks, possibly Coldplay sorta stuff?

Thanks.
    bump

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Finished, need to replace one locking tuner that doesn't. Aside from that and bridge saddle adjustment on final tune, it's a shredder.
    black everything, locking tuners, roller tree, 3 blade HB's, 9.5 to 12" compound radius board.

Before finishing this one, I rewired the telecaster. I bought a 12" 1/4" drill bit to go from the neck pocket to the control cavity, I was warned.
    the angle was right, the distance was right, it followed the wood grain and cam out the back 1/4" before the cavity, changed positions, went right into the cavity and popped right thropugh the back AGAIN! (thickness of wood is about 3/16" right there.
    So I got it re-wired, but need to sand, fill, stain, and clearcoat now, exactly what I DIDN'T want to do. But the neck pickup is wired right and the Tele shreds now.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by RoseBulls
    Anyone able to recommend me a good acoustic guitar for a beginner?
    The music I'd sort of like to be able to play would be like Oasis, The Kooks, possibly Coldplay sorta stuff?

Thanks.bump
    Can you play at all?

If so, go to the local music store, start at the $200 mark and find the guitar that is easiest for you to play.
    I like the Ovation/Applause stuff in that range because the sound output is better and they don't warp, others like other stuff, run a search in the thread.

You can pick up a used ovation/applause at guitar center online for $99-$200

this is the one we used to take to Nashville for our shows
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...id=108026860_U

$199 + $28 shipping + tax
    Last edited by ctgblue; 09-05-2012 at 05:43 AM.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.

freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    Can you play at all?

If so, go to the local music store, start at the $200 mark and find the guitar that is easiest for you to play.
    I like the Ovation/Applause stuff in that range because the sound output is better and they don't warp, others like other stuff, run a search in the thread.

You can pick up a used ovation/applause at guitar center online for $99-$200

this is the one we used to take to Nashville for our shows
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...id=108026860_U

$199 + $28 shipping + tax
    That's good advice. Also if you have a friend who played a while, take them with you. Plus after you try a few you might even want to look a used guitar. Can get some pretty nice 3-400 dollar range guitars used at 200 bucks. One thing I would say though is to stay away from really cheap stuff (ala Walmart, Target, etc). That might turn you off from continuing to play in itself. You might even want to start out with nylon strings on strings 1-3 to make it a bit easier to get into the feeling of playing.

freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000) freewait is just really nice. (+1000)
    This amp for the money seems to be getting a lot of press lately. Anyone tried one?

Yamaha THR10 $299

This was the comments from one mag I was reading online:
    The Verdict
    If you’re a home studio freak with space or volume constraints, the THR10 has the potential to change your whole studio landscape the same way trading a desktop workstation for a laptop can change your office. While the tones don’t mirror the sounds they mimic 100-percent, they are, at times, surprisingly close and the equal of many dedicated amp simulations. That this amp works just as beautifully as a standalone practice amp is remarkable, and at about 300 bucks, it offers a lot of amplification and recording solutions for the price.

TOP PROFILE:

TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Got some new stuff while on my American holiday.

Rig:
    Fender '12 Standard
    Fender Offset Special (absolutely awesome by the way)
    Gibson SG Standard
    Mesa TA30

Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squatzincurlrak has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I need a new phone...
    #fish

Originally Posted by TIMXXX View Post
    Got some new stuff while on my American holiday.

Rig:
    Fender '12 Standard
    Fender Offset Special (absolutely awesome by the way)
    Gibson SG Standard
    Mesa TA30
    Kewl. Hope you enjoyed your time here; looks like you made some great purchases.

Current setup
    2 Jackson DR5's (they are identical to the left one, the other has a reflection of the blinds that makes it look flamed), Squier Tele, Partscaster, Washburn Woodstock model A
    Dual Rec, Weber Mass Lite, Bugera 4x12, Digitech RP-500

lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10) foskeh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

loved how my ltd felt so made a decent purchase and bought an eclipse II and been lovin it so far. pretty light and shreds great.. I really like how les pauls feel also so it is right down my alley haha.
    fosk#1197

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Anyone else get bitten by the stompbox bug? I'ved used nothing but amp dirt and delay for years, but l have been spending all my extra money on effects lately, mostly dirt pedals. I've gotten into building and modding because I thought it would save money, boy was I wrong.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) CrimsonSteel has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Picked up an LTD Deluxe a few weeks back, brand new and half off. (Guess it's an out-of-date model, so sure, take $500 off the price tag! I don't mind.)

Also picked up a lap steel a day or two before the LTD.

Finished, need to replace one locking tuner that doesn't. Aside from that and bridge saddle adjustment on final tune, it's a shredder.
    black everything, locking tuners, roller tree, 3 blade HB's, 9.5 to 12" compound radius board.

Before finishing this one, I rewired the telecaster. I bought a 12" 1/4" drill bit to go from the neck pocket to the control cavity, I was warned.
    the angle was right, the distance was right, it followed the wood grain and cam out the back 1/4" before the cavity, changed positions, went right into the cavity and popped right thropugh the back AGAIN! (thickness of wood is about 3/16" right there.
    So I got it re-wired, but need to sand, fill, stain, and clearcoat now, exactly what I DIDN'T want to do. But the neck pickup is wired right and the Tele shreds now.
    Good work, dude! Must be awesome playing a guitar you modded yourself.
    Last edited by CrimsonSteel; 10-08-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ransom17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I used to be a drummer, but about a year ago I sold them (15 years of drumming/recording/gigging on the verge of making a career out of it). I always wanted the Billy Corgan guitar sound circa 1994. I realised how many other Billy fans are searching for that same sound, so I bought a VOXac15 and a Fender Nashville Telecaster. Got the Jeckl and Hyde overdrive rockin' but I'm not a huge fan (20$), and of course the Big Muff Pi. The Muff sounds hyooge but it's a specialty pedal as it fuzzes EVERYTHING up - works well with power rocks but really muddy with more intricate stuff. Anyway, I would say my guitar sound is similar to Thrice or Ascend the Hill. I'm happy with it but it's still changing by little bits and pieces. I'm certainly not married to any one sound like I was as a teenager to Billy's tone
    Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Current setup
    2 Jackson DR5's (they are identical to the left one, the other has a reflection of the blinds that makes it look flamed), Squier Tele, Partscaster, Washburn Woodstock model A
    Dual Rec, Weber Mass Lite, Bugera 4x12, Digitech RP-500

awesome setup

mirin that dual rectifier

aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) aceroa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    These are the guitars I currently own.
    All Ibanez RG's haha

TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TIMXXX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    updated board pic

soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hello everyone! I want y'alls opinion on this:

I'm trying to remake my first electric guitar into a 'project guitar' (I guess that's what you'd call it). It's an Ibanez Gio GRX20, made in Korea I think, and bought in 2001. I'm going to repaint it, change its pickups, and knobs. Probably all the screws as well, as most of them are rusty. I've spent the last few weeks looking at pickups and I've settled for two models. I play mostly alternative and punk.

First, here's what the model looks like:

I want to paint it white/cream and get a grafitti artist to do a custom design on it. He's a guy I know who does some pretty funky designs, and I'm thinking of getting a tiki head or a turtle or something on it. That doesn't change the sound though.

Here are the pickups I've liked:
    Bridge - Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader Bridge Pickup (Black) or the Dimarzio Super Distortion Pickups

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SH8bBlk

Neck - Gibson Accessories 496R Hot Ceramic Humbucker (Double Black)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IM96RDB

Any ideas as to how these two would sound together? I'm pretty much sold on the idea of buying an Invader, and I liked the sound on the Gibson pickups as well.

Also, these are the knobs I like lulz

ANY input is appreciated, really. Thanks a lot brahssss I want help, even if it's just "it'll sound like ****".
    Last edited by soundcheck; 10-14-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Yankees - Colts - Inter

~.S&P.~
    [Misc. Late Night Crew]
    -ItalianCrew-
    ₪ ₪ ₪TRUE MI$CER₪ ₪ ₪

R.I.P. Zyzz

Even with decent pickups It will still sound average because it's made of chit wood would it not?

nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nick911sc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yea... Unless it's just for the fun of it. I wouldn't change anything on that guitar. An agathis body guitar isn't going to really improve dramatically with some new humbuckers in it. If you're gonna go wild with designs and such, why not get a used RG and start from there?

Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by freewait View Post
    This amp for the money seems to be getting a lot of press lately. Anyone tried one?

Yamaha THR10 $299
    Bit late responding to this, but I'll say I was very impressed by this amp. Got this and the Fender Greta in at the same time. I expected the Greta to be a nice little practice amp and the Yamaha to sound like chit. It was actually the opposite. The Yamaha is an awesome little office/desktop amp and I highly recommend it if you're in the market for something like that. On the other hand the Greta sounds terrible.

Newest addition to my rig (if you can even call it that (I mainly play bass)): Boss DN-2 Dyna Drive

I got it for free through my old job. Haven't plugged it in yet though.

soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000) soundcheck is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by nick911sc View Post
    Yea... Unless it's just for the fun of it. I wouldn't change anything on that guitar. An agathis body guitar isn't going to really improve dramatically with some new humbuckers in it. If you're gonna go wild with designs and such, why not get a used RG and start from there?
    Yeah I get what you mean dude. Is there anything I could do improve it's sound other than changing the pickups and calibrating it? It's more of a fun project than anything really. Thing is, I love the feel of the neck on that guitar, and it was my first guitar so I really want to keep it. I want to renovate it both sound-wise and look-wise. I pretty much only use it for jamming with my bros every few weeks.
    Yankees - Colts - Inter

~.S&P.~
    [Misc. Late Night Crew]
    -ItalianCrew-
    ₪ ₪ ₪TRUE MI$CER₪ ₪ ₪

R.I.P. Zyzz

jet7861 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jet7861 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jet7861 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jet7861 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I play a BC Rich Outlaw running though a Line 6 Spider 4 with a 150 watt head. I use a Digitech RP350 for effects.

Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    Yeah I get what you mean dude. Is there anything I could do improve it's sound other than changing the pickups and calibrating it? It's more of a fun project than anything really. Thing is, I love the feel of the neck on that guitar, and it was my first guitar so I really want to keep it. I want to renovate it both sound-wise and look-wise. I pretty much only use it for jamming with my bros every few weeks.
    If it does not 'feedback' horribly at high gain and high volume, and delivers good distortion, don't worry about it.
    if it does, change the pickups.
    I went with some Entwistles from China. A set is less than half the price of a single Duncan/Dimarzio.
    I got two sets, PLUS my duncan triple shot rings, for under $150

Their Darkstar or X3 pickups should give the oomph you want without investing undue money.
    http://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Entwist...ckup_c_52.html

I bought a set of X3's and a set of Nemesis to us in a 3HB project I am "in process' of building.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hello brahs

I am looking to buy a small practice amplifier for my dorm room. Was thinking about 15-30w.
    I play metal (Pantera, Lamb of God, Black Sabbath, Slayer) for the most part, with the occasional blues and clean.

At the moment I'm playing an ESP Eclipse I CTM through a Roland Cube 20w with a Blackstar HT-Dual.

Fairly certain I want a tube amp this time, at the moment I'm leaning towards a Marshall. Have also considered getting a small head of some sort.
    Budget is around 800 dollars.

Any advice for a kick-ass amp?

Edit: Would like opinion on combining a Blackstar 5w Head
    http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/...-GIT0021482-000

With a Blackstar 5w combo amp
    http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/...-GIT0022838-000

Both are tubes. Does anyone have knowledge on this matter, and would you mind helping out?

War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) War Machine has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    New world record this past week

* anatolian shepherd crew *

Originally Posted by FaroeViking View Post
    Hello brahs

I am looking to buy a small practice amplifier for my dorm room. Was thinking about 15-30w.
    I play metal (Pantera, Lamb of God, Black Sabbath, Slayer) for the most part, with the occasional blues and clean.

At the moment I'm playing an ESP Eclipse I CTM through a Roland Cube 20w with a Blackstar HT-Dual.

Fairly certain I want a tube amp this time, at the moment I'm leaning towards a Marshall. Have also considered getting a small head of some sort.

Both are tubes. Does anyone have knowledge on this matter, and would you mind helping out?
    I had the HT5 and it's good for 80's metal, but not what you have listed.
    There is no small wattage tube amp that will get you that sound. You'll need to get into the HT40 club with the second gain stage, the Marshall JMD50, the H&K Switchblade. To get the metal distortion in the smaller amps, you need to just drop their onboard gain and upgrade to the HT Dist X model, then you can run through the HT20 head and slam the gain while still having a versatile amp with a great clean channel. I still like the HT 40 though, but I'd buy the 60.
    You can find an HT40 combo for ~~$500 and a set of an HT20 combo for $400 an HT Dist X for $150~~ on Ebay
    I'm a big proponent of getting as much gain in the amp itself and then boosting the signal with a pedal if you need it. The HT Dual you have will do that with an HT 40, it may cover it with the HT20 also, but the HT5 MUST have a pedal. I just feel that for just about $100 more then the 5, you can get the 20.
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Hello brahs

30w would be too much for bedroom.

Vox AC4, crank the volume and chuck a OD/Boost?fuzz in front and you're in metal heaven. So many people underestimate the tones you can pull from a vox tube amp.

FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000) FaroeViking is just really nice. (+1000)
    There is no small wattage tube amp that will get you that sound. You'll need to get into the HT40 club with the second gain stage, the Marshall JMD50, the H&K Switchblade. To get the metal distortion in the smaller amps, you need to just drop their onboard gain and upgrade to the HT Dist X model, then you can run through the HT20 head and slam the gain while still having a versatile amp with a great clean channel. I still like the HT 40 though, but I'd buy the 60.
    You can find an HT40 combo for ~~$500 and a set of an HT20 combo for $400 an HT Dist X for $150~~ on Ebay
    I'm a big proponent of getting as much gain in the amp itself and then boosting the signal with a pedal if you need it. The HT Dual you have will do that with an HT 40, it may cover it with the HT20 also, but the HT5 MUST have a pedal. I just feel that for just about $100 more then the 5, you can get the 20.
    Thanks. The HT-40 sure looks interesting, I overlooked it for some reason. I think that getting a 60w amp would be a bit over the top for my close quarters situation.
    I am intrigued by the Orange Jim Root Terror Amp http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/O...GIT0023722-000 as it is full tube and designed for metal. Have you got an opinion on this?

Also, say I bought this Orange head, is it ideal to combine it with an Orange cab or does it matter at all? I see you're rocking a different brand combination.

Originally Posted by TIMXXX View Post
    30w would be too much for bedroom.

Vox AC4, crank the volume and chuck a OD/Boost?fuzz in front and you're in metal heaven. So many people underestimate the tones you can pull from a vox tube amp.
    Are you talking about the hand wired series?
    I have a feeling I need to get busy trying out some different amps. Never heard of using Vox for metal before, perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000) Vawx is a name known to all. (+5000)

Agree mostly with this guy. The 5 is a great bedroom amp, but if you have $800 I would get something bigger. The 20 is nice... they're all nice of course. But you get better bang for your buck from the HT20 upward.

You just need to be realistic about what your needs are and what your needs in the future will be. For $800 you can probably get an HT-60 on sale somewhere, but that's obviously too big for your dorm. But realistically the HT-20 probably is too. If you don't mind buying a $500 5w amp then go ahead and get the HT-5 for your dorm. It's a great amp, but you're going to get better value out of the 20/40/60. I'd probably buy the 40 or 60 and then just keep the cube for your dorm.