audioblndr is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How Can I Optimize My Current Workout Routine?

Alright,
    to start im 6'2 157 lbs probably 15-17% bodyfat and 26 years old.
    right now I am skinny fat with some muscle.
    my goal is to get lean and build more muscle.
    right now i'm a little limited due to not having access to the gyms so I only have my bodyweight a pull-up bar and 30 lbs dumbbells
    My current routine is 3 days a week.
    It is...
    Day 1:
    Pull-Ups: As many sets as I need to get to 34 reps. (Every Set to Failure)
    Push-Ups: As many sets as I need to get to 96 reps. (Every Set to Failure)
    Body-Weight Squats: 20 reps each set until I reach 146 (I will do 20 second Wall Sits in between each set)
    Ab Routine: I will do as much of this ab routine as I can until failure: (Ryan Trahan's 7 Minute Ab Workout on Youtube)
    Calf Raises (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 2 sets of 30 reps
    Shoulder Press: (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 2 sets of 16 reps
    Dumbbell Curls: (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 2 sets of 16 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first set I will try to get at least 8 reps on my second set.)
    Triceps Extension: (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 2 sets of 16 reps.
    Day 2:
    Ab Routine as listed in Day 1
    Goblet Squat (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 3 sets of 30 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first or second set I will try to get at least 10 reps on my next set(s).)
    Dumbbell Bench (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 3 sets of 30 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first or second set I will try to get at least 10 reps on my next set(s).)
    Back Row (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 3 sets of 30 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first or second set I will try to get at least 10 reps on my next set(s).)
    Shoulder Press as listed in Day 1
    Dumbbell Curls as listed in Day 1
    Triceps Extension as listed in Day 1
    Day 3:
    Pull-Ups as listed in Day 1
    Push-Ups as listed in Day 1
    Body-Weight Squats as listed in Day 1
    Dumbbell Squat (this time with a 30 lbs dumbbell in each hand so 60 lbs in total): 3 sets of 30 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first or second set I will try to get at least 10 reps on my next set(s).)
    On my off days I will do light cardio (bike ride on the trail behind my apartment for about 20 minutes)
    As far as nutrition goes I am currently getting into cutting/maintenance/bulking.
    I just started so I am doing a day for each phase and I add a day to each phase with every cycle that I go into.
    For cutting I go 20% below TDEE and for bulking I go 10% above TDEE.
    I use the TDEE and Macro calculators available on Bodybuilding.com for my calories/carbs/fats/proteins.
    If any of this seems oddly specific it is because I have OCD but I am trying to be more flexible because I really care about doing this correctly.
    I spend a lot of time on it every week.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You need to increase those numbers every week or two. Right now you do 34 pull ups. Next week shoot for 35. A week or two after that shoot for 36. Same thing with push ups, shoot for 97 next week.

Your shoulders, 2 sets of 17 reps. When you are doing 2 sets of 24, the next week go back to 16 reps but do 3 sets. When you get to doing 3 sets of 24, the next step would be 4 sets of 16.

The key thing is you are progressing the work load.

xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xilk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yep, progressive overload is the only thing that matters at the end of the day: if you lift same you will look the same.
    Everything else are just knobs that are fun to fiddle with.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    You need to increase those numbers every week or two. Right now you do 34 pull ups. Next week shoot for 35. A week or two after that shoot for 36. Same thing with push ups, shoot for 97 next week.

Your shoulders, 2 sets of 17 reps. When you are doing 2 sets of 24, the next week go back to 16 reps but do 3 sets. When you get to doing 3 sets of 24, the next step would be 4 sets of 16.

The key thing is you are progressing the work load.
    Thanks.
    What would you say is the max amount of sets that you should assign to a single exercise?

safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) safcpaul has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by audioblndr View Post
    Alright,
    to start im 6'2 157 lbs probably 15-17% bodyfat and 26 years old.
    right now I am skinny fat with some muscle.
    my goal is to get lean and build more muscle.
    right now i'm a little limited due to not having access to the gyms so I only have my bodyweight a pull-up bar and 30 lbs dumbbells
    My current routine is 3 days a week.
    It is...
    Day 1:
    Pull-Ups: As many sets as I need to get to 34 reps. (Every Set to Failure)
    Push-Ups: As many sets as I need to get to 96 reps. (Every Set to Failure)
    Body-Weight Squats: 20 reps each set until I reach 146 (I will do 20 second Wall Sits in between each set)
    Ab Routine: I will do as much of this ab routine as I can until failure: (Ryan Trahan's 7 Minute Ab Workout on Youtube)
    Calf Raises (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 2 sets of 30 reps
    Shoulder Press: (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 2 sets of 16 reps
    Dumbbell Curls: (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 2 sets of 16 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first set I will try to get at least 8 reps on my second set.)
    Triceps Extension: (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 2 sets of 16 reps.
    Day 2:
    Goblet Squat (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 3 sets of 30 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first or second set I will try to get at least 10 reps on my next set(s).)
    Dumbbell Bench (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 3 sets of 30 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first or second set I will try to get at least 10 reps on my next set(s).)
    Back Row (with 30 lbs dumbbells): 3 sets of 30 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first or second set I will try to get at least 10 reps on my next set(s).)
    Day 3:
    Pull-Ups as listed in Day 1
    Push-Ups as listed in Day 1
    Body-Weight Squats as listed in Day 1
    Dumbbell Squat (this time with a 30 lbs dumbbell in each hand so 60 lbs in total): 3 sets of 30 reps or failure (if I reach failure on my first or second set I will try to get at least 10 reps on my next set(s).)
    On my off days I will do light cardio (bike ride on the trail behind my apartment for about 20 minutes)
    As far as nutrition goes I am currently getting into cutting/maintenance/bulking.
    I just started so I am doing a day for each phase and I add a day to each phase with every cycle that I go into.
    For cutting I go 20% below TDEE and for bulking I go 10% above TDEE.
    I use the TDEE and Macro calculators available on Bodybuilding.com for my calories/carbs/fats/proteins.
    If any of this seems oddly specific it is because I have OCD but I am trying to be more flexible because I really care about doing this correctly.
    I spend a lot of time on it every week.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
    At 157lbs at 6 foot 2 you are skinny, not skinny fat. When i started lifting i was skinny fat at 185lbs at 6 foot 2. Dont even think about cutting for a long time. At 157lbs you could lean bulk for a good year and a half if not 2 years

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks.
    What would you say is the max amount of sets that you should assign to a single exercise?
    There is no cut and dry answer that applies to everyone. It depends on your ability to recover and grow between the workouts. I'm 52, and I do 4 sets per body part. When I was 20, I was probably doing 6-8 sets per body part.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    There is no cut and dry answer that applies to everyone. It depends on your ability to recover and grow between the workouts. I'm 52, and I do 4 sets per body part. When I was 20, I was probably doing 6-8 sets per body part.
    Alright, sounds good.

Originally Posted by safcpaul View Post
    At 157lbs at 6 foot 2 you are skinny, not skinny fat. When i started lifting i was skinny fat at 185lbs at 6 foot 2. Dont even think about cutting for a long time. At 157lbs you could lean bulk for a good year and a half if not 2 years
    What is a good calculator for determining macros and TDEE?
    Right now I am using the Bodybuilding.com calculators.

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    What is a good calculator for determining macros and TDEE?
    Right now I am using the Bodybuilding.com calculators.
    Calculators are just a starting point, it doesn't really matter which one you use. Pick numbers and see how your body responds, adjust intake accordingly to gain between 2-4 pounds per month

Originally Posted by cmacken View Post
    Calculators are just a starting point, it doesn't really matter which one you use. Pick numbers and see how your body responds, adjust intake accordingly to gain between 2-4 pounds per month
    Alright, great!

Alright, some quick updates.
    I've been doing the progressive overload method for the past two to three weeks and I feel pretty good about it.
    I have been splitting all my exercises into sets with set numbers instead of working out to failure for each set (not sure which method is more effective)
    As far as nutrition I have been lean bulking.
    I actually lost a few pounds at first. I think this is because I am taking the Onnit Alpha Brain nootropic (which is also listed as a dietary supplement).
    For some reason I still take it but I am not losing weight anymore and last time I checked I was in the 160s.
    I decided to add in a cheat meal each week and have 1-2 cheat days each month. I 'm not sure if this really affects anything.
    Aside from that things have been pretty good.
    Thanks for all the advice.

I just stopped by my gym to see where I stand with my strength compared to before the lockdown and it was not good. I’m thinking that now that the gyms are open it might be better to do progressive overload via increase in weight as opposed to increase in reps with the same weight. Any thoughts on which method might be preferable? I’m kinda torn between working out from home and just going to the gym.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There comes a point with increased reps where you are essentially just training for muscle endurance (once you're pushing 20+ reps you've pretty much rinsed any further potential for muscle growth).

Definitely definitely definitely progress with weight and drop your reps. The only call for high rep sets was lockdown and the inability to progress the load via adding weights.

I'd find a decent program in the stickies and then go with that. Most beginner routines are full body 3x per week with rep ranges from 5-10 on large compound lifts. This is where you will see maximum growth.

Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    There comes a point with increased reps where you are essentially just training for muscle endurance (once you're pushing 20+ reps you've pretty much rinsed any further potential for muscle growth).

Definitely definitely definitely progress with weight and drop your reps. The only call for high rep sets was lockdown and the inability to progress the load via adding weights.

I'd find a decent program in the stickies and then go with that. Most beginner routines are full body 3x per week with rep ranges from 5-10 on large compound lifts. This is where you will see maximum growth.
    Alright, good to know.

Hey everyone,
    I have been back in the gym lifting weights.
    I decided to go with the allpro beginner routine in the stickies.
    One thing this routine suggests is to use a barbell as much as possible for all the exercises in the routine.
    Everything is going well with that except for squatting.
    I am unsure if it is because of my proportions (long legs small torso) or overall flexibility but I am have a really hard time squatting a respectable distance.
    I know you should not try to go all the way down but I am barley able to get in a half squat.
    It should not be a weight issue either because this happens even when I'm only squatting the bar.
    I am able to get a full squat when I goblet squat or just bodyweight squats.
    I think it may be something to do with having my hands out in front of me for balance.
    A coworker of mine said the only way to get better is to keep practicing with the barbell but I think I would get a better workout from dumbbells or a hack squat machine.
    Any thoughts?

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey everyone,
    One thing this routine suggests is to use a barbell as much as possible for all the exercises in the routine.
    I am unsure if it is because of my proportions (long legs small torso) or overall flexibility but I am have a really hard time squatting a respectable distance.
    I know you should not try to go all the way down but I am barley able to get in a half squat.
    It should not be a weight issue either because this happens even when I'm only squatting the bar.
    I think it may be something to do with having my hands out in front of me for balance.
    A coworker of mine said the only way to get better is to keep practicing with the barbell but I think I would get a better workout from dumbbells or a hack squat machine.
    Any thoughts?
    I always had issues with my squat form. There is a good sticky about it in the 'exercises' forum which can give you some pointers

One thing that also helped me was stretching (not pre-workout) my hamstrings, glutes, lower back etc on a daily basis. This increased my overall lower body flexibility (especially my ankles) and has improved my squat form. If you have poor mobility in those joints, back squatting can feel very 'cramped' and it is difficult to go deeper. With front/goblet squat is is somewhat easier to just 'sit' into it, back squatting is a little different

Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    I always had issues with my squat form. There is a good sticky about it in the 'exercises' forum which can give you some pointers

One thing that also helped me was stretching (not pre-workout) my hamstrings, glutes, lower back etc on a daily basis. This increased my overall lower body flexibility (especially my ankles) and has improved my squat form. If you have poor mobility in those joints, back squatting can feel very 'cramped' and it is difficult to go deeper. With front/goblet squat is is somewhat easier to just 'sit' into it, back squatting is a little different
    Alright, I will start stretching and I’ll check out that thread. Thanks for the feedback man!

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey everyone,
    Any thoughts?
    Post a form check video for some feedback

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks.
    That is massively intensity dependant.

10 sets of sub maximal triples is a fantastic protocol for many.

10 sets of anything all at failure is an utterly terrible idea for any goal
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Originally Posted by cmacken View Post
    Post a form check video for some feedback
    i think i'll hold off on that for now and just stretch plus get as much info as I can from other threads

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    That is massively intensity dependant.

10 sets of sub maximal triples is a fantastic protocol for many.

10 sets of anything all at failure is an utterly terrible idea for any goal
    Yeah, the stickies workout that I'm on is a 5 week cycle. Week 1 starts with 3 sets of 8 and 1 rep is added each week until you can do 3 sets of 12 with the weight that you're using.