Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Too skinny for keto?

Hi, I am on day 2 of atkins/ckd (don't really know lol) and am feeling really rough right now. I wondered if someone could tell me if it is safe or not for someone with ulcerative colitis and REALLY skinny. I can't exercise for a while and a keto diet fits nicely with the SCD diet which I use to keep in remission. I wondered if being in ketosis/atkins is dangerous while I am so frail and small?

I can start the exercise in about a week when my gut has adjusted to the diet and started to heal. Is this a silly idea? I will be doing a carb up next saturday (not tomorrow as I am not yet in ketosis) and then do it once a week. I will be carbing up on fruit and other simple carbs though - and hope this will be enough to fill my glycogen stores. (I know simple carbs fill liver glycogen, but someone told me it spills over into muscle glycogen when liver is full?)

Anyway, any help will be appreciated

rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Herballistic View Post
    Hi, I am on day 2 of atkins/ckd (don't really know lol) and am feeling really rough right now. I wondered if someone could tell me if it is safe or not for someone with ulcerative colitis and REALLY skinny. I can't exercise for a while and a keto diet fits nicely with the SCD diet which I use to keep in remission. I wondered if being in ketosis/atkins is dangerous while I am so frail and small?

I can start the exercise in about a week when my gut has adjusted to the diet and started to heal. Is this a silly idea? I will be doing a carb up next saturday (not tomorrow as I am not yet in ketosis) and then do it once a week. I will be carbing up on fruit and other simple carbs though - and hope this will be enough to fill my glycogen stores. (I know simple carbs fill liver glycogen, but someone told me it spills over into muscle glycogen when liver is full?)

eat more fat. everyone looks at the "keto diet" as a cut. it doesn't have to be. eat keto foods at a surplus, and its a bulk. "diet" does not mean "losing weight/fat". diet refers to the food choices you make. People usually state that they are going on a "diet", because fore most people, they don't watch what they eat, then when they choose to narrow down the foods they eat. they are actually making a change to their "diet", not going on one.

EDIT: Keto isn't dangerous in any way. you are eating fats and proteins. fats are proven to fight against infection and strengthen your immune system. they also regulate your sex hormones, improve health of hair, skin, nails, etc. a lot of people stay away from Saturated Fats because of the scare the media and government use. Saturated Fats were shown to be the best fat for you.

From the Framingham Study, there was a quote around the lines of "the people who ate the most Saturated fats, ate the most cholesterol, ate the most calories... weighed the least and were more physically active"

kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rob2093124 View Post
    eat more fat. everyone looks at the "keto diet" as a cut. it doesn't have to be. eat keto foods at a surplus, and its a bulk. "diet" does not mean "losing weight/fat". diet refers to the food choices you make. People usually state that they are going on a "diet", because fore most people, they don't watch what they eat, then when they choose to narrow down the foods they eat. they are actually making a change to their "diet", not going on one.

EDIT: Keto isn't dangerous in any way. you are eating fats and proteins. fats are proven to fight against infection and strengthen your immune system. they also regulate your sex hormones, improve health of hair, skin, nails, etc. a lot of people stay away from Saturated Fats because of the scare the media and government use. Saturated Fats were shown to be the best fat for you.

From the Framingham Study, there was a quote around the lines of "the people who ate the most Saturated fats, ate the most cholesterol, ate the most calories... weighed the least and were more physically active"

as a female, I can attest that my nails, hair, and skin are defnitely in MUCH better condition since doing keto... i.e, my nails grow longer and thicker faster, my hair is shinier and softer (I get comments all the time), and my skin doesn't dry out easily

plus, when I was eating low fat to "lose weight" (which I know now is not accurate at all and just plain wrong), I could tell my hormones were outta whack b/c, 1. sex just wasn't appealing and 2. I was moody all the time and just plain unhappy

Training/Food/Recipe log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135443421

other recipe logs:
    'Cooking on Keto'
    (Part I) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132899693
    (Part II) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132982263

rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rob2093124 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by kwebbers View Post
    as a female, I can attest that my nails, hair, and skin are defnitely in MUCH better condition since doing keto... i.e, my nails grow longer and thicker faster, my hair is shinier and softer (I get comments all the time), and my skin doesn't dry out easily

plus, when I was eating low fat to "lose weight" (which I know now is not accurate at all and just plain wrong), I could tell my hormones were outta whack b/c, 1. sex just wasn't appealing and 2. I was moody all the time and just plain unhappy
    ^sex drive definitely increased for me.

kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kwebbers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    agreed haha thank god........

other recipe logs:
    'Cooking on Keto'

Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Discov3ry has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Since a serious medical condition is involved and you are not in an optimal health I think your questions should be asked to a real medical doctor.

If you are underweight, figure out your daily calorie needs and keep your food intake slightly above it to gain weight, or at it to maintain.

I can tell you from my personal experience that by going to keto, I have eliminated a lot of gastrointestinal discomfort and almost completely got rid of a ghost abdominal pain that for years couldn't be diagnosed by any doctor.

I don't think starting exercising is a silly idea. If you didn't that would be silly.

Good luck.

agreed haha thank god........
    Inb4 rob2093124 & kwebbers marry.
    65/30/5

Ron Paul 2012

"There is no failure, only feedback."

Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10) Herballistic is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the replies

The reason why I am not exercising yet is because I figured that my gut couldn't heal from colitis while it was trying to heal all the micro tears that I created from weight lifting... If this isn't the case, then I will begin exercising right away.

I got the Steve Maxwell 300 kettlebell DVD and will give that a go when I am ready. It's tough though, anyone tried it? I have only got a 12kg bell though... I might have to buy a 16kg soon. I am on 3rd day of keto diet and feel no energy still, legs are made of concrete! I hope I will wake up feeling good tomorrow... might have to get some ZMA soon because I wake up feeling worse than when I started.

Gary.

Originally Posted by Discov3ry View Post

hahah what??wait a minute..........

other recipe logs:
    'Cooking on Keto'

Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Flax seed cake and shrimp for the reception
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

Day 4, managed a small kettlebell workout... pistol squats with the kettlebell suck when your legs feel like lead lol. Not ready for the 300 kettlebell challenge yet, need to make sure I am in ketosis...

Can someone answer me a quick question; If I don't feel more energetic after my meals of fat/protein... does it mean I am not in ketosis yet? I have always suffered from chronic fatigue, was hoping this would help it.

I will make a keto log soon, it's better than just adding to this.

Gary.

Does I have catabolismz? TaoistWarrior's Avatar
    TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TaoistWarrior is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Cowmustard View Post
    Flax seed cake and shrimp for the reception
    LULZ! You guys would make a cute couple. Srs.

OP, that advise about seeing a doctor is solid. Here's some more:

1. Since you said "don't really know lol" about which diet you are on, I can't stress enough that you READ about them and keto in general prior to committing. You will be much better served by researching how to do this properly. Some good reads are:

The Anabolic Diet by Mauro di Pasquale
    The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
    The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald

Please don't make the mistake many others make and just post questions on here, or read what other people are doing, and assume you have a handle on it. It will really help you succeed if you know what you are doing first.

2. Because of your condition, I'd also reccommend, in general, foods which are less likely to irritate your GI tract. A lot of people start keto and eat nothing but bacon, pepperoni, and beef sticks, then wonder why they are bloated, not seeing results, etc. You probably already know which foods tend to bother you but if I were you I would try a more paleo style of keto foods (unprocessed, unsmoked, etc.) in the interest of your gut health and comfort.

Best of luck.

TW
    It's time for a Breakthrough.

Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Mine is as well. Look at my picture! Guys were going"Oh, it will make your hair fall out."

"HELLO!!!" My hair is literally 4" from my waist, and I am a guy (working on my Hercules look!! LOL) And I've gone so far as to live on nothing but eggs and olive oil at times.
    Tiny Tim

"In other words your body can't make fat without crabs." - Athletichunta

Originally Posted by TaoistWarrior View Post
    LULZ! You guys would make a cute couple. Srs.

OP, that advise about seeing a doctor is solid. Here's some more:

1. Since you said "don't really know lol" about which diet you are on, I can't stress enough that you READ about them and keto in general prior to committing. You will be much better served by researching how to do this properly. Some good reads are:

The Anabolic Diet by Mauro di Pasquale
    The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
    The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald

Please don't make the mistake many others make and just post questions on here, or read what other people are doing, and assume you have a handle on it. It will really help you succeed if you know what you are doing first.

2. Because of your condition, I'd also reccommend, in general, foods which are less likely to irritate your GI tract. A lot of people start keto and eat nothing but bacon, pepperoni, and beef sticks, then wonder why they are bloated, not seeing results, etc. You probably already know which foods tend to bother you but if I were you I would try a more paleo style of keto foods (unprocessed, unsmoked, etc.) in the interest of your gut health and comfort.

Best of luck.

TW
    Thanks for the advice.

I am on day 5 of my diet now and think I got everything sorted. I am on the anabolic diet, I am doing 6 days carb free (sun-fri) and then having some carbs on saturday, I may have a couple of vodkas on the carb day, but will try my hardest not to. I am not sure of the damage a few measures of alcohol will do.

I am eating very clean, even on carb up days... here is an example... I eat every 2 or 3 hours.

* Tablespoon of Organic virgin coconut oil
    * 3 Boiled Eggs
    * Home made burgers topped in cheddar cheese (burgers only have minced beef, 1 egg and some olive oil)
    * 3 Tablespoons of Hemp Oil mixed in a freshly squeezed spinach and cabbage juice.
    * Bowl of home made chicken broth
    * Avocado
    * Tablespoon of coconut oil

On the saturday, I will take out the burgers + cheese to lower the saturated fat on the carb day... I will also add about 6 sweet potatoes which I will boil up and eat through the carb up day and add some carrots, tomatoes and other sugary vegetables that I miss out on in the week.

Do you see anything wrong with this? I am thinking about taking out the burgers at some point when I can get rid of my hunger, I don't think my stomach likes the oily beef cooked at such a high destructive temperature lol.

Gary.

Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cowmustard has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'd eat more eggs but that is just me.
    Myfitnesspal Cowmustard
    Mapmyrun Cowmustard

Originally Posted by Discov3ry View Post
    lol. i come back 3 days later and my wedding date is set..

Originally Posted by Cowmustard View Post
    I'd eat more eggs but that is just me.
    I am still concerned about saturated fat, I know some people say it's fine on a keto diet, but it still plagues me because of how I have been taught by doctors and other people.

I eat a lot of animal fat from the beef and stuff too and it makes me cringe afterwards, worrying about my arteries. Is my information incorrect? I have also heard that the saturated fat in egg yolks is different and doesn't actually lead to high cholesterol... don't know how much truth was in that.

How many eggs would you recommend instead of my daily 3? Another thing is that I can't afford much right now because I am out of work due to my colitis. I can only get cheap, tesco value eggs and the crap that they probably feed their chickens concerns me. Should I not be worried? Sorry for all the questions... I am a nutritional sponge and must not leave any rock unturned lol.

Thanks all.
    Gary.

I am still concerned about saturated fat, I know some people say it's fine on a keto diet, but it still plagues me because of how I have been taught by doctors and other people.

I eat a lot of animal fat from the beef and stuff too and it makes me cringe afterwards, worrying about my arteries. Is my information incorrect? I have also heard that the saturated fat in egg yolks is different and doesn't actually lead to high cholesterol... don't know how much truth was in that.

How many eggs would you recommend instead of my daily 3? Another thing is that I can't afford much right now because I am out of work due to my colitis. I can only get cheap, tesco value eggs and the crap that they probably feed their chickens concerns me. Should I not be worried? Sorry for all the questions... I am a nutritional sponge and must not leave any rock unturned lol.

Thanks all.
    Gary.
    find a study accurately showing saturated fat is "bad". i can show you many that show the opposite.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6298507
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6538617
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14666150
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8942407

Look into Coconut Oil, Coconut Milk (which both contain just about all fat from saturated fat) and look up Medium Chained Tryglycerides