Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast
    trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Is it alright if a lot of my carbs (on carb-up days) are sugar carbs? Or should they not be? Any specific kind?
    PRs:
    Bench 245 x 2
    Squat 255 x 8
    Deadlift 405 x 1 (345 x 5)

feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If anyone is looking for keto friendly chicken coating, try this:

Use a coffee grinder to grind almonds into a medium thin powder. Use an egg wash and coat the chicken in the almonds. Then, you can pan fry or bake the chicken.

As an added keto friendly flavor enhancer, mix some good parmesean or romano in with the almond powder. Very good.

You can use the same coating for porkchops or veal cutlets.

canesmomof2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

newbie needing help

I just started keto(really sticking to it and understanding a bit more) this week. I'm having trouble finding ways to add in fat. I usually get around 140g of protein, 20g carbs, 80g fat. From reading previous post it looks like I need to cut the chicken breast and lean turkey and switch to beef, pork and higher fat chicken? Is that right? I'm 5', 102 lbs and am getting about 1200 calories a day. Any suggestions? Do I need to do a refeed this week. I pretty sure I read that you need to wait two weeks....is that right? Do I need to incorporate a "cheat meal" and if so what would that look like? I'm at 11% bf and 8 weeks away from a figure competition. I need to look into the coconut oil. Thanks in advance!

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No cheat meal. You have carb-ups instead, and not for the first two weeks. After that, as often as necessary, usually every week or 10 days.

Chicken thighs and drumsticks are a great way to add fat to your diet and save money at the same time. Use olive oil to make your salad dressing. Cook your eggs in butter. Snack on almonds. Rib steak is dirty cheap and lovely and juicy.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Smile

Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    No cheat meal. You have carb-ups instead, and not for the first two weeks. After that, as often as necessary, usually every week or 10 days.

Chicken thighs and drumsticks are a great way to add fat to your diet and save money at the same time. Use olive oil to make your salad dressing. Cook your eggs in butter. Snack on almonds. Rib steak is dirty cheap and lovely and juicy.
    Thanks for the reply! I'm off to the grocery store today.

trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trevatandy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by trevatandy View Post
    Is it alright if a lot of my carbs (on carb-up days) are sugar carbs? Or should they not be? Any specific kind?
    same question
    PRs:
    Bench 245 x 2
    Squat 255 x 8

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you are young and healthy and carrying a lot of muscle, you'll get away with sugar carbs. If you have a lot of fat to lose, or are older, then keep the carbs to wholefoods with a low gi, like root veg, low fat dairy, wholegrains.

Start your carb-up with a high sugar whey shake, then have one refined carb/sugar meal, then switch to lower gi foods.

EagleJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What kind of carbs are okay to eat after a workout? lol

If you are young and healthy and carrying a lot of muscle, you'll get away with sugar carbs. If you have a lot of fat to lose, or are older, then keep the carbs to wholefoods with a low gi, like root veg, low fat dairy, wholegrains.

Start your carb-up with a high sugar whey shake, then have one refined carb/sugar meal, then switch to lower gi foods.
    ok cool thanks for the info
    PRs:
    Bench 245 x 2
    Squat 255 x 8

Originally Posted by EagleJames View Post
    What kind of carbs are okay to eat after a workout? lol
    Once scoop whey and a small amount (10-15g) of dextrose.

So there isn't a sort of "normal, solid food" option for the keto diet?

I can't get any supplements in for about another week.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)

Just eat some food then
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

The old school bodybuilders used to blend boiled chicken breasts for post workout. I'm sure you can come up with something better than that.

mackdaddy187 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mackdaddy187 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mackdaddy187 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mackdaddy187 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mackdaddy187 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey new member here

So I spent the last few hours going through this thread. I have grasped the concept of what this diet is about, but still have a few questions.

1. Is is ok to take creatine pre and post workout? I take purple K and it has Gelatin, Maltodextrin, Magnesium Stearate and Kre-Alkalyn? Maltodextrin sounds like a carb but not sure and the amount isn't listed on the bottle. Are any of these ingredients bad for Keto?

2. I plan to follow a CKD regiment. So from what I gather, the 30g or so Net carbs in a day mostly come from green vegetables. Is that right?

3. I want to lose the maximum amount of fat possible. Can I skip on the post workout dextrose and maybe or not add another scoop of whey?

4. Do I continue to take multivitamins in the morning or skip them since now I will be incorporating vegetables into my diet?

5. I take Omega3 caps and Omega 3-6-9 caps. I heard taking Omega3 is beneficial but Omega6 and 9 are unnecessary? is it true?

Thanks again for this awesome resource

Originally Posted by mackdaddy187 View Post
    1. Is is ok to take creatine pre and post workout? I take purple K and it has Gelatin, Maltodextrin, Magnesium Stearate and Kre-Alkalyn? Maltodextrin sounds like a carb but not sure and the amount isn't listed on the bottle. Are any of these ingredients bad for Keto?

2. I plan to follow a CKD regiment. So from what I gather, the 30g or so Net carbs in a day mostly come from green vegetables. Is that right?

3. I want to lose the maximum amount of fat possible. Can I skip on the post workout dextrose and maybe or not add another scoop of whey?

4. Do I continue to take multivitamins in the morning or skip them since now I will be incorporating vegetables into my diet?

5. I take Omega3 caps and Omega 3-6-9 caps. I heard taking Omega3 is beneficial but Omega6 and 9 are unnecessary? is it true?

Thanks again for this awesome resource
    1. Creatine is fine, but stick with the basic stuff. Maltodextrin is a form of sugar. Not a disaster in your PWO shake, but it would be better if you knew the amounts. You don't need it before your workout, a cup of expresso will do the job.

2. Yep. Eat plenty of green veg, skip the other carbs.

3. The amount of dextrose in your PWO shake is not significant when it comes to fat loss. Your 10g or so (40 cals) is just there to spike insulin and get the protein to your muscles faster. The big thing to watch is your overall calories, and not to start sneaking in higher carb things.

4. On a cutting diet, it's always a good idea to take a multi, just as insurance.

5. Omega 3 is the one you are not likely to get enough of in your ordinary diet. Omega 6 comes from anything which contains or has been fed grains, and Omega 9 is in olive oil.

Do we count all of the fat from the oil that we cook in? Does that get absorbed or no?

Dumb question, I'm sure. =p

Ideally, yes. Measure out a spoonful or so of oil into your nonstick pan, and pour any leftover oil over your food (or swish your veg around in it). Then count it.

You shouldn't be deep frying anyway.

Pass The Refridgerator kudostojen's Avatar
    kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)
    The old school bodybuilders used to blend boiled chicken breasts for post workout. I'm sure you can come up with something better than that.
    did they drink it with water or milk? that's so gross. yuk!

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

If You Can't Stand Behind Our Troops, Feel Free To Stand in Front of Them ..

Originally Posted by kudostojen View Post
    did they drink it with water or milk? that's so gross. yuk!
    As far as I know, they liquidised it in the water they boiled it in. Yep, I can see why whey got so popular.

Ideally, yes. Measure out a spoonful or so of oil into your nonstick pan, and pour any leftover oil over your food (or swish your veg around in it). Then count it.

You shouldn't be deep frying anyway.
    Not exactly deep frying - it's just for a nonstick. Could use butter as well - I assume the same rule applies.

Not exactly deep frying - it's just for a nonstick. Could use butter as well - I assume the same rule applies.
    Butter is fine, just know how much you are using.

Does this look right?

I made a few adjustments. I'm going with 1400 calories/ day. Here is what I had today...does this look right?

Meal 1 protein shake, 1 tbsp evoo pwo 24g p, 6g c, 15.5 g f
    Meal 2 1 whole egg, 2 whites, 1 slice of cheese 12g p, 2g c, 12g f
    Meal 3 flatbread, 1 slice of cheese, turkey, 1 tbsp evoo 21g p, 5g c, 23g f
    Meal 4 almonds 6g p, 3g c, 14g f
    Meal 5 ground beef, lettuce, evoo 25g p, 18.5g f
    Meal 6 1 rice cake, 2 tbsp pb 8g p, 11gc, 16g f

Does that look right? Does it look like 1400 calories? Any suggestions for substitutes? Thanks again!

feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50) feloniousmonk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My first day was yesterday! I encountered a problem I hadn't thought of:

I work out first thing in the morning. I used to take superpump before and then a 32g protein shake. But, now, I can't do either of those on keto. What do I eat before I work out in the morning?

And, I used to eat a casein shake before bed to make sure I wasn't losing muscle over night. What should I eat now? Cottage cheese is out.

Originally Posted by canesmomof2 View Post
    I made a few adjustments. I'm going with 1400 calories/ day. Here is what I had today...does this look right?

Meal 1 protein shake, 1 tbsp evoo pwo 24g p, 6g c, 15.5 g f
    Meal 2 1 whole egg, 2 whites, 1 slice of cheese 12g p, 2g c, 12g f
    Meal 3 flatbread, 1 slice of cheese, turkey, 1 tbsp evoo 21g p, 5g c, 23g f
    Meal 4 almonds 6g p, 3g c, 14g f
    Meal 5 ground beef, lettuce, evoo 25g p, 18.5g f
    Meal 6 1 rice cake, 2 tbsp pb 8g p, 11gc, 16g f

Does that look right? Does it look like 1400 calories? Any suggestions for substitutes? Thanks again!
    Flatbread and rice cakes? That's not keto. And the only veg is a big of lettuce.

You're much better eating two or three whole eggs than egg whites and cheese.

No bread or rice or anything along those things. If you trying for 20g of carbs, that's there so you can get plenty of green veg.

No fats post workout. Whey and a small amount of dextrose only. Keep the EVOO for your salad.

Easy on the peanut butter. You can have some, but don't make a whole meal out of it.

If you like eating six meals, fine, but you don't NEED to. Many people on keto find they get on well with three or four bigger meals.

Flatbread and rice cakes? That's not keto. And the only veg is a big of lettuce.

You're much better eating two or three whole eggs than egg whites and cheese.

No bread or rice or anything along those things. If you trying for 20g of carbs, that's there so you can get plenty of green veg.

No fats post workout. Whey and a small amount of dextrose only. Keep the EVOO for your salad.

Easy on the peanut butter. You can have some, but don't make a whole meal out of it.

If you like eating six meals, fine, but you don't NEED to. Many people on keto find they get on well with three or four bigger meals.
    Let's see....how's this...
    Meal 1 protein shake
    Meal 2 2 whole eggs, 1 slice of cheese, evoo
    Meal 3 1 cup broccoli, 1 slice cheese, turkey, 1 tsp evoo
    Meal 4 almonds
    Meal 5 Steak, green beans, evoo, sour cream

Does that look better? Thanks for your patience!

Looks better. What are the total calories and the macros on those meals?

If you are having problems, reduce the amount of cheese and cream, see if makes a difference. Butter seems fine, but there are a few unfortunate people who find that a lot of dairy slows things down.

SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    subbed
    Snake's New Diabetic Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130722163
    Snakes BB Quest!Begun 8/24/06 http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=882015

PR's@ BW 135 lb:
    Fl Bnch:175x5x3 sets;180x3*ATG Sqts:185x5x3 sets*DL:275x1;250x4x2 sets*Dips:+100 lbX6;+55 lbX20*Pllups/Chns:+25 lbX5 for 4 sets*BB Bt Ovr Rws:170x5*Wghtd Cardio:2 mi. jog w/ 45 lb bkpk*3 mi. walk w/ 55 lb bkpk

**RapeBacks 3k+**

Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
    subbed
    Meal 1 protein shake 24p, 6c, 1.5f
    Meal 2 2 whole eggs, 1 slice of cheese, evoo 18p, 3c, 17f
    Meal 3 1 cup broccoli, 1 slice cheese, turkey, 1 tsp evoo 29p, 11c, 30f
    Meal 4 almonds 6p, 3c, 14f
    Meal 5 Steak, green beans, evoo, sour cream 27p, 5c, 24f

104p, 28c, 105f
    I need to be at 105g f, 20g c, 100g f

Any suggestions?

It's close enough to be going on with. See how that works for you.

ImpendingDoom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImpendingDoom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImpendingDoom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImpendingDoom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImpendingDoom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImpendingDoom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImpendingDoom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    is gatorade sufficient choice for pwo carbs?