Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks David! I'm glad you were satisfied with everything!

Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000) Slovation is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Like I said in the other thread great series. Its just too bad theres still a lot of guys that compete that dont even frequent bb.com. Great place to get information, especially with your articles. Just imagine if everyone came to shows with this knowledge. Competition would be fierce.

I did have a question though. For someone that has a rather high sodium intake of say 8k mg a day should the high sodium meal 2 hours before stage be increased or will the amount you recommend still get the desired affect ie; pump/filling out? Just wondering if having a higher than normal intake would see that as just another normal meal and not respond the same. I really noticed the benefits of water and sodium my last 2 shows. I was able to maintain a pretty good pump and my stamina on stage was fantastic. I noticed so many guys sweating profusely/shaking/struggling during prejudging.
    556/325/622 - 1504 total raw @ 193
    551/319/567 - 1437 total raw @ 181
    Best gym lifts - 575/340/650

***Inventor of the GENESIS JACK***
    WWW.KLEVABUILT.COM
    IG: KLEVABUILT

Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000) Sporto1633 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    that was the gym on sandhill and flamingo, best gym I've ever trained in
    AMEN! I mean, how can you NOT be pumped to the gills every time you step foot in that bad boy?

Originally Posted by Slovation View Post
    Like I said in the other thread great series. Its just too bad theres still a lot of guys that compete that dont even frequent bb.com. Great place to get information, especially with your articles. Just imagine if everyone came to shows with this knowledge. Competition would be fierce.
    I could give several reasons why a lot of top natural professionals don't waste their time here, but I don't want to start up a **** storm. Let's just say they have good reasons to either just lurk or not come around altogether and leave it at that

Also, this place (just like any other mesage board) does have some great info, but it also has a LOAD of terrible info too. You have to be careful from whom and what you listen to just like you do anywhere else.

And, competition at the top level IS fierce already

I did have a question though. For someone that has a rather high sodium intake of say 8k mg a day should the high sodium meal 2 hours before stage be increased or will the amount you recommend still get the desired affect ie; pump/filling out? Just wondering if having a higher than normal intake would see that as just another normal meal and not respond the same. I really noticed the benefits of water and sodium my last 2 shows. I was able to maintain a pretty good pump and my stamina on stage was fantastic. I noticed so many guys sweating profusely/shaking/struggling during prejudging.
    Keep in mind that you can't attribute sweating/shaking/struggling during prejudging to any one variable as there are a multitude of things gong on. Some struggle because they simply didn't practice posing enough, while others cramp because of a huge solute imbalance and improper fluid intake. It's really impossible to know what the culprit is unless you take a look at exactly what they did leading up into the show as it may not just be any one thing but a combination of bad choices.

Having said that, your intuition is correct, if you generally have a higher sodium intake, then you will need to compensate your meals accordingly. What matters more here is the relative flow of solutes and water to create the desired effect you are looking to get. Keep in mind that any drastic change in sodium levels will also result in aldosterone release in the same way that cutting it completely out will.

Hope that helps!

Sporto
    Core Nutritionals Sponsored Athlete
    IFPA Professional Natural Bodybuilder
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer

rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rewaste has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks for your hard work in the sport and the science. It is a much needed video there are so many things out there on offseason training etc, very little on prep. I say this as I start my prep for the Los Angeles in July.
    Rewaste

Plumbing Contractor
    West Coast Classic 1st SHW Quilfy for NPC USA'S Nationals
    Tournament of Champions 2011 3rd Super Heavy Open, 3rd Novice heavy and 5th Masters 40
    1st and overall Armed Forces European Bodybuilding Invetational 95
    3rd GNC NPC Border States Classic Novice Heavy 2010

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

yea i'd increase it slightly as if your body is accustomed to excreting an amount of sodium to compensate for 8g per day you will need more to achieve the desired effect

Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000) Acesopro is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In on this.

BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz BodySpaceAdmin has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by masterjackblack View Post
    This peak week series should be linked at the top of the supersite main page if bb.com isn't planning to.
    Added.

Want to close your account? Please contact our Customer Service department (anytime 24/7!) - and they can assist you with that:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/help?bodyspace

bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50) bakyhama will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Omg this is such a boon! My peak week starts in 2 days, and this couldn't have come at a better time!

pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Senor Norton, you never answered my Q above sir:

"Hey Layne I see in the training cardio vid at the end it says to see what you do for training/ cardio look below at bbing.com. I know what you do for training, but whats the cardio routine I can't find it...and the bbing.com guys didn't link it."

Originally Posted by pumplikecuming View Post
    Senor Norton, you never answered my Q above sir:

"Hey Layne I see in the training cardio vid at the end it says to see what you do for training/ cardio look below at bbing.com. I know what you do for training, but whats the cardio routine I can't find it...and the bbing.com guys didn't link it."
    you mean during all prep or during peak week?

loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10) loudz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Awesome layne, mad respect.

This will come in handy in 8 weeks

Philipp84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great stuff! Thanks a lot!
    2011 season with Team Klemczewski!

pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pumplikecuming is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you mean during all prep or during peak week?
    Well I watched the vid and you stated that you taper cardio during peak week am I correct? I want to know your cardio routine to get that low of a % not necessarily peak week since I have a long way to go before even thinking about getting into a contest of any kind. Im only 172 lbs and im 6'1. People have taken dumps bigger than me

slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post
    I really think they need to update the photo in the first post...that is from what? 2004...switch it to one from this year.

lol im not gay, but Layne is one handsome mofo in that pic. (no homo) lulz

Looking forward to the series!
    Working with Alex Azarian for my first contest.
    Prepbyalex.com

KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KAYTEBUGG00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Show Saturday April 2

Layne,

Thank you so much for your series!! Sorry I forgot there was a thread and sent this to your email.
    I am going to apply your peak week as I am 7 days out today (contest Saturday April 2). I had a question on splenda and gum. I have been using splenda and gum RELIGIOUSLY through my prep. Do you keep them in as well? Also, I have been drinking carbonated flavored waters. No sodium, carbs cals or anything in them so would I keep them in as well? I am SUPER excited to try this approach for my show. I will be competing in Figure. What do you suggest for after pre-judging and the night show for nutrition? Same approach?

Thank you again and look forward to your reponse.
    Time to get serious...transformation in progress

MARRIED :)

Originally Posted by pumplikecuming View Post
    Well I watched the vid and you stated that you taper cardio during peak week am I correct? I want to know your cardio routine to get that low of a % not necessarily peak week since I have a long way to go before even thinking about getting into a contest of any kind. Im only 172 lbs and im 6'1. People have taken dumps bigger than me
    in that case I'd suggest reading my comprehensive precontest prep article. I still stand by the cardio recommendations there http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm it's different for everyone

Originally Posted by KAYTEBUGG00 View Post
    Layne,

Thank you so much for your series!! Sorry I forgot there was a thread and sent this to your email.
    I am going to apply your peak week as I am 7 days out today (contest Saturday April 2). I had a question on splenda and gum. I have been using splenda and gum RELIGIOUSLY through my prep. Do you keep them in as well? Also, I have been drinking carbonated flavored waters. No sodium, carbs cals or anything in them so would I keep them in as well? I am SUPER excited to try this approach for my show. I will be competing in Figure. What do you suggest for after pre-judging and the night show for nutrition? Same approach?

Thank you again and look forward to your reponse.
    Hi Kayte,
    I saw and replied to your email but I figure I'd answer here as well for the benefit of others.

you can continue to consume all those throughout peak week, but I typically recommend discontinuing them 24 hours out as artificial sweetners like splenda are not absorbed and it will take them about 24 hours to leave the GI and you don't want them staying in the GI as a solute and potentially drawing fluid into that area.

in that case I'd suggest reading my comprehensive precontest prep article. I still stand by the cardio recommendations there http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm it's different for everyone
    Thanks Layne you da best

BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobbyGz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    in.

fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fitcopforlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Awesome Layne, glad this was put at the top.
    Sheepdog#60

thanks, glad you enjoyed it

Registered User sleeezypmartini's Avatar
    sleeezypmartini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome vids! This is gonna be my second show, last year, for my first show, I did the whole water/sodium loading & depleting bit. It didnt do me wrong, I won the overall to put me as an amature now....but after watching & reading your series, im not sure what to do now. If you say to keep the same water & sodium intake, how do you go about shedding the water between your skin & muscle? Is it the diet or the training up until the day before the show? I stopped cardio 4 days out, but never stopped lifting, only doing 30-40 min sessions, 1 set of 25 per body part with little to no rest. Im now 16 weeks out from my 2nd show in july, doing my homework to bring a better package. Thanks in advance.
    Go Big or Go Home!

slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10) slayer_romare is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just watched the whole thing, It was awesome.

And was really put well in laymans terms, Kinda peak week for dummies.
    Working with Alex Azarian for my first contest.
    Prepbyalex.com

Originally Posted by sleeezypmartini View Post
    Awesome vids! This is gonna be my second show, last year, for my first show, I did the whole water/sodium loading & depleting bit. It didnt do me wrong, I won the overall to put me as an amature now....but after watching & reading your series, im not sure what to do now. If you say to keep the same water & sodium intake, how do you go about shedding the water between your skin & muscle? Is it the diet or the training up until the day before the show? I stopped cardio 4 days out, but never stopped lifting, only doing 30-40 min sessions, 1 set of 25 per body part with little to no rest. Im now 16 weeks out from my 2nd show in july, doing my homework to bring a better package. Thanks in advance.
    what makes you think you have excess water in between your muscle & skin? because you really don't unless you have some sort of condition that causes edema

and you looked very lean in your pictures but I believe you sacrificed a lot of fullness that you could have had onstage with what you did and you would have had just as good if not better conditioning. Now I hope I don't sound rude saying that, you still did fantastic and i'm happy for you!

Registered User sleeezypmartini's Avatar
    sleeezypmartini has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just a little confused about the 70/30 ratio of intracellular-to-extracellular water. Is the extracellular water is whats between the skin & muscle? Tried looking it up, didnt really find a laymans terms. But Im def gonna try out keeping the same water & sodium intake throught the last week before the show. And the "pre game meal" a couple of hours before the show works wonders! Takes the edge off from weeks of dieting, and makes you look good! Not rude, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, great info!
    Go Big or Go Home!

hrzg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

To Clarify...

Hey Layne--
    Great Video Series Man! Well produced and professionally done. I always appreciate your perspective.

Tommorrow, I will be in peak weak. That said, if I am interpreting the videos and reading correctly, you currently reccommend no reduction in carbohydrates indicated as previously outlined in your comprehensive contest pre-contest article.

Am I reading and interpreting correctly?

Again Nice Work.

GB

bpacak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

High cutting Diet question

I'm running a high fat diet for cutting and its working great so far i'm 10 weeks out. I do about a 100g of fat and carb reload every 14 days. For all of the high fat guys should I still load with carbs, or should I fat load for contest prep week. And finally whats good to eat on contest day for a high fat dieter to keep muscles looking full? Layne your very inspirational thanks for keepin it Natural.

Originally Posted by sleeezypmartini View Post
    Just a little confused about the 70/30 ratio of intracellular-to-extracellular water. Is the extracellular water is whats between the skin & muscle? Tried looking it up, didnt really find a laymans terms. But Im def gonna try out keeping the same water & sodium intake throught the last week before the show. And the "pre game meal" a couple of hours before the show works wonders! Takes the edge off from weeks of dieting, and makes you look good! Not rude, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks again, great info!
    the extracellular compartment is one place where holding extra fluid would make you look softer, as would in the GI tract. Also fluid that gets pushed out of the blood vessels into the interstitial layer would also make you look softer.

Originally Posted by hrzg View Post
    Hey Layne--
    Great Video Series Man! Well produced and professionally done. I always appreciate your perspective.

Tommorrow, I will be in peak weak. That said, if I am interpreting the videos and reading correctly, you currently reccommend no reduction in carbohydrates indicated as previously outlined in your comprehensive contest pre-contest article.

Am I reading and interpreting correctly?

Again Nice Work.

GB
    well I recommend having your higher carb days at the beginning of the week and tapering them down throughout the week. not sure if that answers your question?

Originally Posted by bpacak View Post
    I'm running a high fat diet for cutting and its working great so far i'm 10 weeks out. I do about a 100g of fat and carb reload every 14 days. For all of the high fat guys should I still load with carbs, or should I fat load for contest prep week. And finally whats good to eat on contest day for a high fat dieter to keep muscles looking full? Layne your very inspirational thanks for keepin it Natural.
    how low are your carbs on low days and how high are they on high days?