Registered User userFCLDC07NKMW's Avatar
    userFCLDC07NKMW is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Push / Pull workout, Amount of sets per week.

Hi all,

I've been lifting weights for strength training since I was in my twenties - I'm now 42. When I did originally start I did follow a classic bro split routine but as was focusing on playing sport more, then just moved to random lifting on the odd days with no real workout routine - mainly just to keep my strength up.

Lost my job four months ago and decided to take the summer off and try a proper lifting routine aiming for hypertrophy results, I've been following a push pull routine and have seen some results - perhaps not as much as I wanted but my muscles have grown.

Now I'm back at work, I'm finding it difficult to spend as much time in the gym in one session. I'm trying for a 45 -50 minute session and doing 6 sets in one session. Six days a week - two push, two pulls and two legs and core. However I'm reading that you need to do 10-15 per muscle group per week for muscles to build muscle. The only way around this is for me to do two sessions in a day - one at around 1200 and another at 2100 - one session doing 6 sets the other session doing 4. Question is , will doing two sessions in a day lead to injury? How do others put in 10-15 sets in a push pull routine?
    Last edited by userFCLDC07NKMW; 09-14-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As long as you progress in both, you're fine.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Not sure I
    Understanding…

If you do
    Both pushing and pulling in the same workout you can rest push muscles while you do a set of pulls,

For example, this AM in 50 minutes I got 12 sets of chest, 12 back and 14 delts

In four days Ill do it again
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    If you do
    Both pushing and pulling in the same workout you can rest push muscles while you do a set of pulls
    One man's push/pull is another man's full body.

Registered User userFCLDC07NKMW's Avatar
    userFCLDC07NKMW is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No problem so my current routine is
    Monday. Push, Noon session. 6 sets of 12. Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. Evening sessions 4 sets of 12 Chest, shoulders and triceps.
    Tuesday Pull Noon session 6 set of 12 Back and Biceps. Evening session 4 sets of 12.
    Wednesday Legs and Abs
    Thursday Push, Noon session. 6 sets of 12. Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. Evening sessions 4 sets of 12 Chest, shoulders and triceps.
    Friday Pull Noon session 6 set of 12 Back and Biceps. Evening session 4 sets of 12.

Have only done this for a week and not sure I'm now overtraining as doing two sessions just to try and get to 10 sets per week. Dont know how people can do 15 sets per muscle group per week.

Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Not sure I
    Understanding…

If you do
    Both pushing and pulling in the same workout you can rest push muscles while you do a set of pulls,

For example, this AM in 50 minutes I got 12 sets of chest, 12 back and 14 delts

In four days Ill do it again

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    One man's push/pull is another man's full body.

I guess so! Maybe that’s what I didn’t understand? OP is doing a full body lift six days a week?
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Originally Posted by userFCLDC07NKMW View Post
    No problem so my current routine is
    Monday. Push, Noon session. 6 sets of 12. Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. Evening sessions 4 sets of 12 Chest, shoulders and triceps.
    Tuesday Pull Noon session 6 set of 12 Back and Biceps. Evening session 4 sets of 12.
    Wednesday Legs and Abs
    Thursday Push, Noon session. 6 sets of 12. Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. Evening sessions 4 sets of 12 Chest, shoulders and triceps.
    Friday Pull Noon session 6 set of 12 Back and Biceps. Evening session 4 sets of 12.

Have only done this for a week and not sure I'm now overtraining as doing two sessions just to try and get to 10 sets per week. Dont know how people can do 15 sets per muscle group per week.

I see , you may find a different split much more time saving…

Chest/back
    Legs
    Shoulders/arms
    Rest
    Repeat

This allows you to superset chest/back and superset bis/tris

Now you can do more work in less time once a day.

BLarge1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by userFCLDC07NKMW View Post
    Hi all,

I've been lifting weights for strength training since I was in my twenties - I'm now 42. When I did originally start I did follow a classic bro split routine but as was focusing on playing sport more, then just moved to random lifting on the odd days with no real workout routine - mainly just to keep my strength up.

Lost my job four months ago and decided to take the summer off and try a proper lifting routine aiming for hypertrophy results, I've been following a push pull routine and have seen some results - perhaps not as much as I wanted but my muscles have grown.

Now I'm back at work, I'm finding it difficult to spend as much time in the gym in one session. I'm trying for a 45 -50 minute session and doing 6 sets in one session. Six days a week - two push, two pulls and two legs and core. However I'm reading that you need to do 10-15 per muscle group per week for muscles to build muscle. The only way around this is for me to do two sessions in a day - one at around 1200 and another at 2100 - one session doing 6 sets the other session doing 4. Question is , will doing two sessions in a day lead to injury? How do others put in 10-15 sets in a push pull routine?
    6 total sets in 45 minute
    session? That’s 7 minutes per set.

Perhaps pick up the pace, leave 60-90 seconds between sets… unless you’re lifting super heavy and leaving really long rests…

Am I reading that right?