Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    supermannnnn92 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need advice on cutting, i think i hit a plateau

Hey there guys, i'm new to the forums so if you guys could, help me out!

I started 79kgs ( 174lbs ) on 01/09/12
    now i'm roughly 68.5kgs ( 151lbs) 09/12/12

I think i hit a fat loss plateau, my legs/back hardly contain fat like it use to, however my love handles and lover abs still have heaps of fat around the area. I think i'm roughly 11-12%, how long will it take to get down to 7-8%. I'm currently intaking 2000 calories, macros are usually 70-80g fat, 55-70g carbs, 170-200g protein. I started off with IIFYM diet, however for the past 3 weeks i've been carb cycling. I choose either saturday/sunday where i just eat whatever i want without counting calories, is that a mistake? Is there extra benefit in the fat loss process from IIFYM to carb cycling? The picture i'm uploading atm is from where i first started, and where i was at a week ago.

Any advice would help, i just need to get down to 7-8% within 4-6 weeks, i've been dieting for 13 weeks already. Thank you!!
    Attached Images

tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by supermannnnn92 View Post

I think i hit a fat loss plateau, my legs/back hardly contain fat like it use to, however my love handles and lover abs still have heaps of fat around the area. I think i'm roughly 11-12%, how long will it take to get down to 7-8%. I'm currently intaking 2000 calories, macros are usually 70-80g fat, 55-70g carbs, 170-200g protein. I started off with IIFYM diet, however for the past 3 weeks i've been carb cycling. I choose either saturday/sunday where i just eat whatever i want without counting calories, is that a mistake? Is there extra benefit in the fat loss process from IIFYM to carb cycling? The picture i'm uploading atm is from where i first started, and where i was at a week ago.

Any advice would help, i just need to get down to 7-8% within 4-6 weeks, i've been dieting for 13 weeks already. Thank you!!
    Yes, not counting calories is a mistake. You probably need to recalculate your TDEE and then reduce calories from there to meet your weight loss goals.
    "You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action!"

***Traditional Wet Shaving Crew***
    ***Disregard everything else, acquire aesthetics crew***
    ***Scotland crew***
    ***Texas Crew***
    ***MFC Crew***

★★ The WAKE UP EARLY because I CHOOSE to Crew ★★

Dallas Cowboys. Texas Longhorns. Glasgow Rangers. Texas Rangers.

truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500)

Um, sorry to tell you but you won't get to 8% BF in 4-6 weeks, maybe months.

Originally Posted by tmartin89 View Post
    Yes, not counting calories is a mistake. You probably need to recalculate your TDEE and then reduce calories from there to meet your weight loss goals.
    I do count my calories, but the macros change when its high/mod/low days. I'm suppose to be eating 2100 calories as it says on myfitnesspal. But i'm intaking 2000 just incase i don't get over it. Do you think carb cycling is a waste of time? or should i just go calorie deficit?

tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000) tmartin89 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do count my calories, but the macros change when its high/mod/low days. I'm suppose to be eating 2100 calories as it says on myfitnesspal. But i'm intaking 2000 just incase i don't get over it. Do you think carb cycling is a waste of time? or should i just go calorie deficit?
    You said you don't count calories on either Saturday or Sunday and asked if that was a problem? And yes I do think carb cycling is a waste of time, I would just make sure your in a caloric deficit first and foremost.
    "You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action!"

***Scotland crew***
    ***Texas Crew***
    ***MFC Crew***

You said you don't count calories on either Saturday or Sunday and asked if that was a problem? And yes I do think carb cycling is a waste of time, I would just make sure your in a caloric deficit first and foremost.
    Yeah sorry, i don't count calories on sat or sunday whichever i choose to eat as a refeed day. But if that's the case i'll just go back to calorie deficit, if no1 else here thinks carb cycling will help.

Yeah sorry, i don't count calories on sat or sunday whichever i choose to eat as a refeed day. But if that's the case i'll just go back to calorie deficit, if no1 else here thinks carb cycling will help.
    It's not that it wont help, there's only one thing that will make you lose weight and that is a caloric deficit. If you are in a 3500 calorie deficit at the end of the week you will lose 1lb.

***Scotland crew***
    ***Texas Crew***
    ***MFC Crew***

It's not that it wont help, there's only one thing that will make you lose weight and that is a caloric deficit. If you are in a 3500 calorie deficit at the end of the week you will lose 1lb.
    So you're saying don't have a refeed? or when refeeding, still count calories?

koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think i'm roughly 11-12%, how long will it take to get down to 7-8%.
    There is no way you're 11-12%. You're probably more in the range of 14-18%. Eat less if you wanna lose more.

Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by koatliki View Post
    There is no way you're 11-12%. You're probably more in the range of 14-18%. Eat less if you wanna lose more.
    This!

Sorry man, but you're no exception to the rule that people generally underestimate their BF by quite a lot

But as long as you're still losing weight, getting your protein and keeping the intensity in the gym, things are probably alright. If not, then have a look at your cheat days. Just one day of going overboard can cancel out a good few days of cutting!
    My recommended reading

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/ - great research review /w practical considerations!

http://www.biolayne.com.com/ - natural bodybuilder Layne Norton!

http:://www.bodyrecomposition.com - Lyle McDonald's site - tons of great articles!

Originally Posted by Jenslyn17 View Post
    This!

Sorry man, but you're no exception to the rule that people generally underestimate their BF by quite a lot

But as long as you're still losing weight, getting your protein and keeping the intensity in the gym, things are probably alright. If not, then have a look at your cheat days. Just one day of going overboard can cancel out a good few days of cutting!
    I didn't underestimate my body fat, everyone that i gym with have told me i'm around 12, i rather you guys be honest than lie, so relax abit. Also, i don't understand why my legs are seperated, while my lower abs/back have lots of fat. I'll take a photo of my quads later and show you guys

Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jenslyn17 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I didn't underestimate my body fat, everyone that i gym with have told me i'm around 12, i rather you guys be honest than lie, so relax abit. Also, i don't understand why my legs are seperated, while my lower abs/back have lots of fat. I'll take a photo of my quads later and show you guys
    How do you figure I'm not relaxed? You said you think you are 11-12 %, and that's just wrong. That's just being honest with you
    My recommended reading

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/ - great research review /w practical considerations!

http://www.biolayne.com.com/ - natural bodybuilder Layne Norton!

http:://www.bodyrecomposition.com - Lyle McDonald's site - tons of great articles!

koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000) koatliki is just really nice. (+1000)
    I didn't underestimate my body fat, everyone that i gym with have told me i'm around 12, i rather you guys be honest than lie, so relax abit.
    They are wrong, we are honest and relaxed

Look at my avi: I am probably around 10% BF there (obviously flexed).

iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iviicrociot is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Are you like 6'5" or something? I'm 220 and cutting at 2000 and that feels high to me... if I were 150 I'd think I'd have to be cutting around 1500-1700 if I wanted to go lower than that.

They are wrong, we are honest and relaxed

Look at my avi: I am probably around 10% BF there (obviously flexed).
    haha, that's fine, like i said, i didn't say i was 11-12, mates who compete told me i was, if they're wrong i'm sorry

Originally Posted by iviicrociot View Post
    Are you like 6'5" or something? I'm 220 and cutting at 2000 and that feels high to me... if I were 150 I'd think I'd have to be cutting around 1500-1700 if I wanted to go lower than that.
    I'm 5'8, roughly 151lbs atm, I'm using the counter myfitnesspal and to lose 0.5kgs i gotta eat at 2000.

Back to my question guys, do you think i should go on a diet break, or continue dieting. Atm, i'm trying carb cycling, but if everyone here says it's useless, than i'll just go normal calorie deficit.

So apparently i'm not suppose to have a binge day where i just eat whatever i want, is that true LOL?
    I've been binging once a week, and when i thought i was refeeding i was doing it all wrong. Can someone explain what it means like when you're dieting you eat a certain amount of calories per week to burn like a lb? I'm confused, someone help me please!

So apparently i'm not suppose to have a binge day where i just eat whatever i want, is that true LOL?
    I've been binging once a week, and when i thought i was refeeding i was doing it all wrong. Can someone explain what it means like when you're dieting you eat a certain amount of calories per week to burn like a lb? I'm confused, someone help me please!
    Lol, it is all about overall calories in/out. You can binge once a week and erase your entire calorie deficit for the week or can even gain weight if you binge hardcore.

Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No you can't binge. Once a week, bring up carb intake and keep fat and protein same as before. This will put you at a surplus, but the point is that you save your metabolism. Its a long term plan, as it will cut into your losses short term. I suggest doing controlled refeeds, but I suspect you will need to cut farther. You could also take a diet break. No binging, just eat what you want in moderation and don't do any counting. If you are gaining weight rapidly, return to your diet.

Lol, it is all about overall calories in/out. You can binge once a week and erase your entire calorie deficit for the week or can even gain weight if you binge hardcore.
    How should i refeed?

Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Horizon92 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It depends, but only bring your carb-intake up. Maybe by as much as 200g carbs. Go in a surplus that one day. I'd recommend keeping the food clean, although you don't have to. You can cheat a little bit as well. The important part is doing things in moderation, i.e don't think refeed = 3L coca cola and two whole pizzas. In theory you could do this if it brought your carb intake for the day up by 200g, but I don't think thats a good idea. Why? Adherence issues, stomach issues and the fact that a refeed day is the perfect time to up your fiber intake, which probably is fairly low the rest of the week.

How often you refeed and by how much you go over doesn't have to be this set number. Unfortunately, weight loss is not an entirely linear process. Just follow the basic guidelines, don't go crazy and be on your diet the rest of the week.

edit: Also, if you have the patience it might help you to do some reverse dieting i.e bring calories up by 100kcal a week until you start gaining weight, then cut 500 from the number you're at at the time you start gaining weight and continue.

has no use for a name n0useforaname's Avatar
    n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm not even reading through this thread, I'm just responding to OP.

Getting to low bodyfat requires TIME.. and lots of it. I'm talking.. where you are now and where you want to be... try at least 3 more months of being spot on diet wise. And NO... carb cycling will not make you lose bodyfat faster.. there is NO MAGIC DIET THAT WILL MAKE YOU LOSE BODYFAT FASTER.. It is very common and normal to stall... sometimes even up to 3-4 weeks. Keep eating at a deficit, and wait it out.
    Learning something new here every single day... and I'm still not sure if I understand : /

all this time, i've been doing refeed wrong, and been binging every saturday, no wonder my fat burning has stalled. How much fat should i be intaking for refeed days? and could i eat roughly 2600 calories if my maintenance is roughly 2500? thanks!!

Fat intake should be the same as on your other days, i.e 60-80g normally. 2600 kcal @ 2500 maintenance is too low I would think. I would try to go at 500 surplus i.e 3k kcal. But it doesn't have to be this set number, just up carb intake substantially at these days, without ruining your week completely.

And again, this will hurt your fat loss short term, but it will help long term.

cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cnh57811 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In the long run, it is really a matter of simple math. *If you are in a 500 cal deficit for 6 days. *That is a 3000 cal deficit. *If, on the 7th day, you binge at 3000 cals over your maintenance, than you wipe out your weeks worth of dieting. *If, on the 7th day, you eat at maintenance, than your weekly deficit will be 3000 cals. *If you ate at your normal 500 cal deficit, then your weekly deficit will be a total of 3500 cals.

So, to answer your question, yes, you can eat real close to maintenance on your refeed days, but however high your calories go will be directly related to how much LESS your deficit will be for the week.

How should i refeed?
    You don't need to.

Originally Posted by cnh57811 View Post
    In the long run, it is really a matter of simple math. *If you are in a 500 cal deficit for 6 days. *That is a 3000 cal deficit. *If, on the 7th day, you binge at 3000 cals over your maintenance, than you wipe out your weeks worth of dieting. *If, on the 7th day, you eat at maintenance, than your weekly deficit will be 3000 cals. *If you ate at your normal 500 cal deficit, then your weekly deficit will be a total of 3500 cals.

So, to answer your question, yes, you can eat real close to maintenance on your refeed days, but however high your calories go will be directly related to how much LESS your deficit will be for the week.
    Thank you, this was the answer i was looking for, thank you very much!!

has no use for a name n0useforaname's Avatar
    n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000) n0useforaname is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You don't need to.
    X2 No need to refeed... it's not like it's going to jump start weight loss.

Originally Posted by Horizon92 View Post
    Fat intake should be the same as on your other days, i.e 60-80g normally. 2600 kcal @ 2500 maintenance is too low I would think. I would try to go at 500 surplus i.e 3k kcal. But it doesn't have to be this set number, just up carb intake substantially at these days, without ruining your week completely.

And again, this will hurt your fat loss short term, but it will help long term.
    Ermahgerd
    Learning something new here every single day... and I'm still not sure if I understand : /

Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    all this time, i've been doing refeed wrong, and been binging every saturday, no wonder my fat burning has stalled. How much fat should i be intaking for refeed days? and could i eat roughly 2600 calories if my maintenance is roughly 2500? thanks!!
    It's one of the misconceptions about refeeds that I've seen on this forum. I learned this the hard way.

A few years ago, I went from 202lb to around 165 (about 12% bodyfat lost from what I remember). I ate VERY low calories throughout the week...maybe 1200-1300 caloreis a day...and ate like a monster on 1 meal on Sunday nights. I thought, "damn my maintenance is real low if I'm only losing 1.5lb a week eating 1200 calories." I didn't realize that the binge was actually making up for the insane deficit that I was in. So my maintenance was really not as low as I thought.

So I guess I learned that I can go very low calorie during the week, and make up for it in 1 day with a "binge". Or I can just up the intake daily and not do a binge. I guess it's personal preference.

Originally Posted by n0useforaname View Post
    Ermahgerd
    Lol

Unaware about the reference to my post?

And yes obviously you don't need to refeed. But it is a good way of helping fat loss, especially when getting into the lower digits.