mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Chrome weights/Bollinger Bulldog

Hi there, newbie here and have a few questions.

I've searched this forum about chrome weights and it helped alot. The company I was looking at (bodykore) use to make these weights but they stopped making them a few months ago. I know Ivankos use to make them but they are rare/expensive/etc etc. Not even going to bother with those.

I'm a young person who don't know much/anything about weights, but if anyone who knows alot about chrome weight plates and the pricing, please provide some info. I already have some chrome plates, the weirdest ones I have are the sports authority brand with 12 sides (Dodecagon plates). If you know any information on these or any other chrome plates (that are not the overrated popular brands), please share.

Also about the Bollinger Bulldog bar. Um I can't post a picture/links because I don't have 50 post counts. I'll try the attachment thing but if that doesn't work, just google "bulldog bollinger bar"

I have this also, and ofcourse I searched the forum. I got nada. I searched bollinger, and came with that alot of people dislike them because they are known for their poor quality? Well if anyone knows about this particular bar, that'd be awesome if you could share your thoughts.

Thanks guys/gals

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mochakaboom View Post
    Hi there, newbie here and have a few questions.

I've searched this forum about chrome weights and it helped alot. The company I was looking at (bodykore) use to make these weights but they stopped making them a few months ago. I know Ivankos use to make them but they are rare/expensive/etc etc. Not even going to bother with those.

I'm a young person who don't know much/anything about weights, but if anyone who knows alot about chrome weight plates and the pricing, please provide some info. I already have some chrome plates, the weirdest ones I have are the sports authority brand with 12 sides (Dodecagon plates). If you know any information on these or any other chrome plates (that are not the overrated popular brands), please share.

Inexpensive chrome plates usually have a thin layer of decorative chrome. With use and wear, the chrome will often chip, flake and peel off the surface. Some of the more expensive plates have higher quality chrome plating and some even have multiple layers of chrome. Some of the most expensive examples are made of steel (rather than cast iron) that is chrome plated.

Chrome weights aren't all the same. And the original retail prices will vary... sometimes by a lot. You'll need to be more specific. Anything branded Sports Authority will be relatively inexpensive. Used olympic size Sports Authority plates are probably worth 50 cents per pound. Used Sports Authority standard size plates are probably worth about 40 cents per pound.
    Last edited by morebarbell; 08-25-2013 at 11:43 PM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Quality chrome plates are going to cost you big time!

These are probably as good as they get
    http://www.eleikoshop.com/NEW-Powerl...-lbs_c_43.html

These I don't know about
    http://www.kamway.com/index.php?disp...oduct_id=30441

I have the discontinued OMC plates.
    Ivanko Crew #28

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'm a young person who don't know much/anything about weights, but if anyone who knows alot about chrome weight plates and the pricing, please provide some info.
    Why are you so fixated on 'chrome' weight plates, OP?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mochakaboom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    There are some cheap ones off ebay/amazon that comes with handles but I read the reviews and there are lots of people complaining about the flaking that you mentioned morebarbell.

Thanks ICEcap2, the first one i've never seen before and that Gympak one are the ones I was going to get from Bodykore. It looks cheaper quality but they look decent from the picture someone provided on the forum. I figure if I take care of them, I wouldn't mind getting a lesser quality for less $$

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Why are you so fixated on 'chrome' weight plates, OP?
    If that's an honest question, i'll try to give you an honest answer. I feel like i'm getting my money invested. I'm young and working out because I have a bit of spare time. When I get older, i'm not going to be as motivated as I am right now and probably be super busy. When that time comes I like to think I can resell these chrome weights because they are scarce. Try finding some chrome weights on google and tell me which page you find the link on because you will definitely not find the two that ICEcap2 has mentioned. The ones I've come across are rusted or made from china and you'd have to buy in bulk (plus we all know how china is with their quality)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    If that's an honest question, i'll try to give you an honest answer. I feel like i'm getting my money invested. I'm young and working out because I have a bit of spare time. When I get older, i'm not going to be as motivated as I am right now and probably be super busy. When that time comes I like to think I can resell these chrome weights because they are scarce. Try finding some chrome weights on google and tell me which page you find the link on because you will definitely not find the two that ICEcap2 has mentioned. The ones I've come across are rusted or made from china and you'd have to buy in bulk (plus we all know how china is with their quality)
    What makes you think 'chrome' plates are in any kind of demand? You don't seem to know your market.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What makes you think 'chrome' plates are in any kind of demand? You don't seem to know your market.
    +1 on this. The only chrome weights that are worth more money are more expensive to begin with--think Ivanko, Eleiko, etc. Those brands are worth more because they are higher quality plates, not because they are chrome-plated. You can get non-chrome plated versions of their plates that are worth about the same as the chrome ones.
    Last edited by rlundregan; 08-26-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SkydogGinsberg is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel like i'm getting my money invested. I'm young and working out because I have a bit of spare time. When I get older, i'm not going to be as motivated as I am right now and probably be super busy. When that time comes I like to think I can resell these chrome weights because they are scarce.
    You're lifting just to kill spare time?

- or -

Why bother.

Your "return-on-investment" asset isn't the chrome plates—it's the body, strength, and health you achieve. Stamps, however, have a wider audience thus more value appreciation potential and are easily transferrable, i.e. "finding a buyer". Plus, you'd experience the joy of Philatelic endeavours shared w/ stamp enthusiasts around the world, less chance of injury, DOMS, tendon and joint strain, and your food expenses will be a lot lower. Your chances of having a good—or even great—stamp collection exceed any possibility of having a decent deadlift.

King of All Standards SkinnySquats's Avatar
    SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, really.. I hate to break it to you dude, but your chrome Sports Authority plates are worthless and made in China. If you want some weights that will retain their value, and perhaps appreciate with time, buy some vintage weights that were made in the USA, i.e. York, Jackson, unbranded Ivankos.

P.S., I looked up the bollinger, it seems pretty gimmicky to me. There's a reason why the original EZ curl bar is often copied, it works. Or you could skip all the nonsense and do chin-ups and dips to get guns..
    Last edited by SkinnySquats; 08-26-2013 at 11:29 AM.
    RARE. VTG. HTF.

()---() York Barbell Club #42 ()---() []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #39 []---[]

Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    +1 on this. The only chrome weights that are worth more money are more expensive to begin with--think Ivanko, Eleiko, etc. Those brands are worth more because they are higher quality plates, not because they are chrome-plated. You can get non-chrome plated versions of their plates that are worth about the same as the chrome ones.
    Sorry but I think outside the box and I mean that in the most sincere way. I don't just look for high priced items and automatically say they are worth more. I look at the item and see if I could get a return equal or more of what I paid for. If that makes any sense.

No.. I know MY market and the one i'm aiming for, I don't know YOUR market. Lol I don't feel like getting into economics though.

Why so much hate on chrome weights? I feel like working out is a religion here :P. Example: If a catholic kid comes up to me and say he only likes chrome statues of Jesus, I guess i'd call him pretty stupid. kind of like me, who only likes chrome weights ha. Owell, I can admit to my faults ^^

Why so much hate on chrome weights? I feel like working out is a religion here :P. Example: If a catholic kid comes up to me and say he only likes chrome statues of Jesus, I guess i'd call him pretty stupid. kind of like me, who only likes chrome weights ha. Owell, I can admit to my faults ^^
    huh?

Good luck meeting your fitness goals for 2013.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Another chrome hater here, although I go weak at the knees when I see chrome Ivankos.

You're missing the point a little though. Just because certain brands are expensive, doesnt always mean you pay a lot for them. If you are buying second hand quality weights, you can save a fortune, and in turn make a profit when you sell them on. I did exactly this when I bought an Elieko set for 200brit pounds, and sold for equivilent of 500pounds a few months later. They were is a $h!t condition, but the brand is all people are after sometimes. Money can also be made if you fancy a bit of a refurb job, since many people are put off weights just because they are missing paint.
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

King of All Standards SkinnySquats's Avatar
    SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SkinnySquats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    [QUOTE=mochakaboom;1124478463]Sorry but I think outside the box and I mean that in the most sincere way. I don't just look for high priced items and automatically say they are worth more. I look at the item and see if I could get a return equal or more of what I paid for. If that makes any sense.

No, you are not thinking outside of the box, but instead are being blinded by the light bouncing of you shiny chrome plates. (And i mean that in the most sincerest way.) Chrome plates are not "scarce", they're just not in any great demand. They serve no useful function besides looking pretty. While both painted plates and chrome plates will rust, painted plates can BE REPAINTED.

Your economical logic is very off, in that you seem to believe buying crap ass plates will retain resale value over higher quality plates, simply for the fact that they are chrome. It doesn't work that way. Lets say you buy a brand new Kia with chrome bumpers, and a brand new Mercedes with black bumpers. Which one do you think will have a higher resale value 15 years from now?

There is no hate on chrome weights around here, just for crappy equipment. I had a set of the exact chrome 12 sided plates you are talking about, a long time ago before I got into lifting seriously. I sold them recently with dumbbell handles for $20.00. Let me know when you graduate to big boy weights..
    RARE. VTG. HTF.

()---() York Barbell Club #42 ()---() []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #39 []---[]

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry but I think outside the box and I mean that in the most sincere way. I don't just look for high priced items and automatically say they are worth more. I look at the item and see if I could get a return equal or more of what I paid for. If that makes any sense.

Many of us stocked (and/or paid for) our home gyms by flipping equipment. I think the vast majority of folks here have a pretty good idea what sells, and what doesn't.

No.. I know MY market and the one i'm aiming for, I don't know YOUR market. Lol I don't feel like getting into economics though.

Honestly, I don't think you do. There's a reason you don't see chrome plates all over the place - there's very little demand for them...new or used. Brand new cheap, low-end, less-than-desirable chrome plates will still be cheap, low-end, less-than-desirable plates 30 years from now. That's just a simple fact.

Dude, this is the equipment forum of the largest bodybuilding site in the world. You're bound to find some folks here who are pretty damn serious about this stuff.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ICEcap2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like quality chrome plates and will pay top dollar for 2 45 OMC's in great condition. I came across some used Ivanko chrome calibrated powerlifting plates at a good price, but passes on them. They were used in a private gym and were pretty well "used." Scratches all over the chrome with dings and dents. I was tempted, but passed. I really can't see using them on a daily bases as they are much harder to move around than a deep dish plate.

I think the best would be machined stainless steel plates, but the prices would make Eleiko's look cheap.
    Last edited by ICEcap2; 08-26-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Ivanko Crew #28

Do they make stainless steel plates? I've sanded stainless steel before and made it nice and mirror-like. Lol... chrome but not really.

Instead of having pure stainless steel plates, is it possible to have stainless steel coated plates? I don't know anything about metal work and stuff

BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BloodType3R has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like you need to stock up on these:

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] Equipment Crew #57 [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

[]──[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #26 []──[]

❍--❍ York Barbell Club #34 ❍--❍

☆☆☆ That On3 Cr3w That Has Too Much Pow3r Cr3w ☆☆☆

vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vic84875 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How about...... keeping the weights when you are older, so you can keep lifting, and perhaps enjoy a better quality of life.

And I would not classified a weight set as an investment. They are: a good; to be used. His marginal utility cannot be properly measured, by monetary values. They will give you a better quality of life; that is all you should care about.

1- Buy weights.
    2- Use weights.
    3- Live long and prosper.

Just saying.

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i've got some machined and chrome ivanko plates i can sell you

No thanks jack, those would be hard to resell.

Originally Posted by BloodType3R View Post
    Sounds like you need to stock up on these:
    Do they have them in 45lb? They look nice ^^

Joking

Originally Posted by jackbravo View Post
    i've got some machined and chrome ivanko plates i can sell you
    Any OMC 45s?
    Ivanko Crew #28

mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50) mike_nofx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Buying certain equipment which you believe holds its value, knowing you will eventually quit and sell it all.

See how stupid that sounds?

jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000) jackbravo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ICEcap2 View Post
    Any OMC 45s?

hahha...i wish
    I have the "Best" set. they're nice for what they are. i think i'm going to get my son started on them since the standard bar has a smaller diameter.

Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
    Buying certain equipment which you believe holds its value, knowing you will eventually quit and sell it all.

See how stupid that sounds?
    No..

I use what I need and sell it when I grow tired or have no use. I don't like to hoard. Thanks for your comment