Scubes90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Overweight friend

Don't know if this is the right place to post but you guys will have the most knowledge with this. I have an overweight friend. He comes form an overweight family so always has been pretty big. This has always affected his confidence and stuff but he's never did anything about it. Recently his mom died and he's got even worse. I don't leave near him atm but his friend told me he's eaten a take away every night this week and he only really works enough to get by. He told me he joined a gym last week but has had no confidence to go. I think exercise and getting fit is the key to getting him back in the right frame of mind and confident again. He's coming home for three or four days and I mentioned id put him through a 3 or 4 day work camp. I have a small gym with bench press, lat pull down exercise back, free weights bench resistance bands and a large garden to do what ever in. I think this is the push he needs to get started. I'm only a part time gymer with limited knowledge especially when it comes to effectively losing weight. Btw he's not extremely fat where he could still do 40 year dashs and stuff. (just not very fast) Let me know if you need anymore info.

Thanks in advance

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your training him is unlikely to help him much, but your friendship and time spent with him will benefit him immensely. So go ahead and do stuff, it doesn't matter much what you do.

Scubes90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't live in the same city as him. He's only coming home for a few days. Trust me when I say I've been there as much as I could for him when he's needed it. We both lived together in another country together when he heard about his mum and I took off work to fly back with him. But we've went our different ways a bit since we both ended up in different places. I feel like losing weight and giving him something to drive for everyday is the thing that he's missing and he wants to get in shape ,it's just that initial push. You never feel better than you do after a workout. I feel like if I get him up and push him through a few hard work outs these few days could give him the confidence to start going again. If he starts looking good he'll start feeling good. I have only really trained with people who are in decent shape so i'm not sure what to do with him? Maybe put him through a circuit with resistance bands and things every day?
    Last edited by Scubes90; 02-26-2019 at 03:15 AM.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Everyone needs to do the same things, it's just a matter of where they start and how quickly they progress. Overweight deconditioned people start lower and progress more slowly than healthy bodyweight conditioned people.

Everyone needs to do some version of each of,
    - squat - hip and knee bend
    - push
    - pull
    - hip hinge
    - loaded carry
    - cardio
    - mobility

I had an 84yo guy in my gym with two total knee replacements. That's fine - he was able to get into his car, drive to my place, get out of his car, all without anyone's help, so I knew he could sit down on and stand up from a chair. So that's what he started with. Then we made the sitting down and stand up look more like a squat - widen the stance a bit, turn the feet out, shove the knees out on the way down and up. Then it was "now don't sit down, just touch the chair and then come back up." Later it was a lower chair, then lower, and so on.

An overweight person has the difficulty that every movement they do is loaded. If they're (say) 20kg overweight, then an "unloaded" squat is for them actually like a healthy bodyweight person holding a 20kg weight plate. A deconditioned person may not be able to do a below parallel squat holding 20kg on day one. So it's the same as an older person - they don't have enough strength to move their own weight through a full range of motion, whether that's because of sarcopoenia (losing muscle mass) from being old, or being obese, it's the same thing, really - they don't have enough strength to move their own weight through a full range of motion. So you start with a shorter range of motion, and build it up over time.

It's the same with the other movements. I mean, I once helped a 180kg woman, her "workout" was just walking from one side of the gym to the other. (Don't do this, just an example) get an 80kg person who's never worked out before, put 100kg on them and have them walk across the gym - it'll get their heart rate up!

It's a process. Err on the side of easy. The first month or two is mainly about building habits, we'd rather someone squatted 60kg for the rest of their life than 160kg after 6 months and then never lifted again. Start easy, build up slowly.

TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50) TerenceBez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Everyone needs to do the same things, it's just a matter of where they start and how quickly they progress. Overweight deconditioned people start lower and progress more slowly than healthy bodyweight conditioned people.

Everyone needs to do some version of each of,
    - squat - hip and knee bend
    - push
    - pull
    - hip hinge
    - loaded carry
    - cardio
    - mobility

I had an 84yo guy in my gym with two total knee replacements. That's fine - he was able to get into his car, drive to my place, get out of his car, all without anyone's help, so I knew he could sit down on and stand up from a chair. So that's what he started with. Then we made the sitting down and stand up look more like a squat - widen the stance a bit, turn the feet out, shove the knees out on the way down and up. Then it was "now don't sit down, just touch the chair and then come back up." Later it was a lower chair, then lower, and so on.

An overweight person has the difficulty that every movement they do is loaded. If they're (say) 20kg overweight, then an "unloaded" squat is for them actually like a healthy bodyweight person holding a 20kg weight plate. A deconditioned person may not be able to do a below parallel squat holding 20kg on day one. So it's the same as an older person - they don't have enough strength to move their own weight through a full range of motion, whether that's because of sarcopoenia (losing muscle mass) from being old, or being obese, it's the same thing, really - they don't have enough strength to move their own weight through a full range of motion. So you start with a shorter range of motion, and build it up over time.

It's the same with the other movements. I mean, I once helped a 180kg woman, her "workout" was just walking from one side of the gym to the other. (Don't do this, just an example) get an 80kg person who's never worked out before, put 100kg on them and have them walk across the gym - it'll get their heart rate up!

It's a process. Err on the side of easy. The first month or two is mainly about building habits, we'd rather someone squatted 60kg for the rest of their life than 160kg after 6 months and then never lifted again. Start easy, build up slowly.
    This is good advice, anything can be scaled down or adapted to suit the situation, disabled people, elderly, people recovering from injuries. Being creative and thinking outside the box is the way to go when the situation is not the 'norm' if I can put it that way.

OP, your circuit idea is a good one, keep thing interesting so that he doesn't get bored, I think that's a big thing with beginners, they get bored and end up quitting before getting into a routine/habit and seeing the results from the work they putting in.

JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Scubes90 View Post
    I have a small gym with bench press, lat pull down exercise back, free weights bench resistance bands and a large garden to do what ever in.
    I just love how in America, a garden is an area of flowers or vegetables and everywhere else its grass. It makes this quote hilarious for American's since it sounds like you will be playing with flowers after you lift lol
    ---Get those Negs ready---

Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100) Gabriel450 is not very well liked. (-100)
    It's not news that overweight folks know what it's like to be on the receiving end of shaming or taunting messages.

WilliamTu is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How much to charge to Plan a Diet?

I am trying to figure out what to charge for just a diet plan (and find the right software for that, but that's another story).

I would be providing full email support, a diet layout, examples, etc. Also providing a chart for weekly progress for motivational purposes. (weight loss)

How much is reasonable to charge?
    Would it be feasible to charge on a monthly basis?
    Should I start it out free?
    Should I try and sell a 3 month package up front?

I would be using Derek Charlebois's methods, and common sense.

Is there something else you would add to this service to make it more valuable? Has anyone done this before?

Harme1972 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think it's so important to use commen sense and doctor's recommendations as well