Take with grain of salt Gloryhound's Avatar
    Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Whey Protein shake or slim fast?

Before I start let me say I am putting it in this section as this is for my wife.

She is currently trying to loose weight I guess you could say, but she is not as concerned about the scale as she is the jean size. She is currently 5'1" 140 lbs and approximately 26% BF. I have her now working out with weights and doing cardio on a treadmill. She works out with weights 3 times a week doing a split that hits all muscle groups at least 1 time a week and does cardio for 45 min to 1 hour a day. We were comparing the contents of a Whey protein shake with her slim fast and with the exception of fiber (which whey has none) the whey protein drink appears to have a lot more value. Would it be benificial for her to replace her after morning cardio slim fast meal replacement shake with a whey protein shake as a meal replacement? The calories from a whey protein shake and low fat milk or soy milk is about the same as one slim fast so I don't see a problem, but my wife is on the right path right now and we don't want to risk messing it up and causing the least discuragement.

Thank you all in advance.
    Rome wasn't built in a day!
    Through God all things are possible!
    There is no such thing as a better side, only a more educated side.

sandra D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I would absolutely get her off the Slim Fast and switch to a whey powder after her morning cardio session. If you want to add more fiber to her meal have her add a serving of oats with her protein drink. She is going to get way more of a nutritional bang for her buck while trying to reach her goals.
    Certified Personal Trainer

Take with grain of salt Gloryhound's Avatar
    Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gloryhound will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sandra D View Post
    I would absolutely get her off the Slim Fast and switch to a whey powder after her morning cardio session. If you want to add more fiber to her meal have her add a serving of oats with her protein drink. She is going to get way more of a nutritional bang for her buck while trying to reach her goals.
    Thanks! I think she is convinced.

Will their be any additional or decrease weight loss potential?
    Rome wasn't built in a day!
    Through God all things are possible!
    There is no such thing as a better side, only a more educated side.

sandra D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

With the workout program you have her doing and if she is eating REALLY clean, she is going to continue to drop her bodyfat% and getting her off the slimfast and using the whey powder is only going help her progress. Protein is a natural appetite suppressant so she will find that the more protein she has in her diet the less hungry she will be. Slimfast just doesn't measure up!
    It sounds to me that you have her on the right track so I have no doubt she will reach her goals!!
    Certified Personal Trainer

Im not short I'm fun size pirouette's Avatar
    pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000) pirouette is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sandra D View Post
    With the workout program you have her doing and if she is eating REALLY clean, she is going to continue to drop her bodyfat% and getting her off the slimfast and using the whey powder is only going help her progress. Protein is a natural appetite suppressant so she will find that the more protein she has in her diet the less hungry she will be. Slimfast just doesn't measure up!
    It sounds to me that you have her on the right track so I have no doubt she will reach her goals!!
    Agreed!
    But I have a hard time getting the oatmeal down so you can run it through a food processesor to help "thin it". Also,when I know I can't stomach the lumpy oats, I throw in some benefiber instead.
    Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe.

"I think I'd make a really good ninja."

In arguments that matter, if you don't choose a side, you lose.

Feels good man

Whiskey for my beer, men for my horses.

****FIERCE*****GRRRRR

lvwhite21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How did your wife do with the change from Slim Fast to protein shakes? My wife and I were discussing the same thing for her--using a protein shake as a meal replacement. In research mode now...

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lvwhite21 View Post
    How did your wife do with the change from Slim Fast to protein shakes? My wife and I were discussing the same thing for her--using a protein shake as a meal replacement. In research mode now...
    since the post is several years old, i'd imagine it better to pm the op rather than bring back the post, as he probably won't check it, although others probably have opinions and might chime in. my own personal opinion is that she should just get her diet in check. not sure what her stats or goals are, but see the sticky on calculating cals and macro's. food is good and she's in control of the cals she's eating, so why replace w/ a shake?