Tsaadon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hip shifting to the right during squat

Hey everyone!

I got back to training 3 months ago and I need some advice regarding squats.
    While squatting I have this thing that my hip shifts to the right side in a quite pronounced way and I cant seem to control it no matter how much I try to concentrate on keeping it straight.

If I do the regular stance it happens pretty much all the time, even on very low weight and if I take sumo stance it only appears once I reach my high weights and really need to push, need to point out though that I don't feel any pain it just feels like bad form that could get me in trouble in the long run.

Thing is if I do sumo and use lower weights I just hardly feel my legs work and then it seems I'm missing the entire point of the exercise.

I read it might have to do with unbalanced legs and my right side is quite stronger and visually bigger then my left. I was hoping if people here could share some info regarding this and how to fix it.

Thanks!

k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000) k9pit is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If one of your legs is stronger than the other than your body will fight to find its strongest position when it's bilaterally (legs) under load.
    Maybe work in a move like walking lunges where you can train each leg unilaterally under load and see how things work out over time.

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had this for a while when I was doing conventional deadlift, I felt one side pulling to my left.
    I just changed my type of mobility that i did and that problem seemed to go away.

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Barbell bulgarian split squats starting with the weaker leg (movement mimicking squat) + mucho mobility + time = possibly problem solved.

Also any unilateral training (bb step ups, bb walking lunges, single legged leg press) should be utilized.
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Tsaadon View Post
    Hey everyone!

I got back to training 3 months ago and I need some advice regarding squats.
    While squatting I have this thing that my hip shifts to the right side in a quite pronounced way and I cant seem to control it no matter how much I try to concentrate on keeping it straight.

If I do the regular stance it happens pretty much all the time, even on very low weight and if I take sumo stance it only appears once I reach my high weights and really need to push, need to point out though that I don't feel any pain it just feels like bad form that could get me in trouble in the long run.

Thing is if I do sumo and use lower weights I just hardly feel my legs work and then it seems I'm missing the entire point of the exercise.

I read it might have to do with unbalanced legs and my right side is quite stronger and visually bigger then my left. I was hoping if people here could share some info regarding this and how to fix it.

Thanks!
    A weight shift is rarely due to a strength imbalance. 95% of the time you are looking at an asymmetrical mobility or stability issue - usually in the hip or ankle. It could be from an old injury.

It could also be a limb length discrepancy.

Check out my YouTube page, I have some videos on the topic.
    www.dreesperformance.com

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jonmd123 View Post
    A weight shift is rarely due to a strength imbalance. 95% of the time you are looking at an asymmetrical mobility or stability issue - usually in the hip or ankle. It could be from an old injury.

It could also be a limb length discrepancy.

Check out my YouTube page, I have some videos on the topic.
    I agree with this that I feel it's more likely a mechanical issue. There are two things I'd attempt before seeking professional help. I'd try the first one and then the second to see if you can help diagnose the issue.

1. Wider squat stance with toes pointed further out

2. Posterior capsule stretch like seen at 2:48 in the first video and 11:30 in second video.

A professional will have a much larger scope of what could be causing the issue, these are just some things I've recently picked up on. I suspect that if the first one doesn't work you may need some help realigning your hip, but a pro will have a myriad of tests for you previous to actually changing anything. I tried to find a video to show what I'm talking about, but the only one I'm aware of is a PPV kind of deal.

Just for academic purposes I'd be really interested to see your normal squat and then one with a wider stance/toes out. Vids?
    Experience, not just theory

Tsaadon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Highly appreciate all your input! at either case I wanna even my legs so I'll try more the unilateral exercises.

I have some issues with my spine that have been giving me chronic pain in my neck, shoulders and upper back, maybe it's related to that..
    I have an appointment with a spine expert in about a month, I'll see what he has to say about the hip movement as well.

Next time I squat I'll get some vids, should I continue squatting or could it really cause me damage doing it this way? it's my fav exercise I would really hate to stop.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    If it is a mechanical issue then any more contact in that area is bad...aka unilateral exercises aren't good either. If you do experiment with a wider stance I'd do it with no weight. If it is mechanical then you'll still see the issue without weight.

These issues take repetitive abuse to reach pathology (pain) normally, but I wouldn't go messing with it much or you could make the problem worse. Seeing a good PT isn't gonna break the bank. Have them check for femoral acetabular impingement.
    Experience, not just theory