Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    I Train to Bring You Pain kfisherx's Avatar
    kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ironically am sipping one now on a most glorious PNW sunny sunshine Sunday in the middle of wine country and the vineyards. Srs.

Thanks for the suggestion!

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kfisherx View Post
    Ironically am sipping one now on a most glorious PNW sunny sunshine Sunday in the middle of wine country and the vineyards. Srs.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    Good for you! I ignored this thread until today. It seemed enough people were responding so I was sure the OP's question had been handled. I was curious. That'll teach me!

ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000) ronki23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good Lord boy. You post so much and say so little. Your anecdotal story is commendable but still just your study of one. You lost weight because you consumed less calories than you needed and you'll gain because you consume more. Congratulations on figuring out some stuff that works for you within the premise of these basic laws. Keep in mind that you are an individual and so is everyone else so what works for you may or may not work for everyone else. (Pretty sure that is my number one point in this whole thread in fact)

Read THIS please (and actually read it this time)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=125916003

You say you have read my posts but then you say stuff that is NOTHING like what I wrote. I never said that I recommended 3 meals a day as opposed to 8. I said that it doesn't matter to body recomp goals and that you have to do what works for the individual NOT recommend anything as a blanket statement. Please begin on page one where this fitness professional recommends all these things to the OP as blanket truth statements. I (me) am the one who tells her it is incorrect to do that and that everyone is an individual. Can you really say that you read this thread?

Also somewhere you pick up the notion that I advocate eating whatever you want macros be damned. I could not have been more clear about that one I think.

You're spilling pages and pages and pages of crap into this thread that are either not relevant or already discussed over and over. Slow down a little bit and comprehend the thread.

As I said, I personally recommend more than 4 meals a day because the snacks mask hunger in between meals/stop me gorging at main meals-i've noticed this from having snacks that are too small. I've also noticed that big meals/ only 2-3 meals makes me look/feel bloated and that depresses me.
    ^ I would personally recommend something that worked for me

@ 70% of food is whole or minimally processed foods that you love the taste of
    @ 10% is whole or minimally processed food that you are just meh about
    @ 10% in semi junky foods (like protein bars)
    @ 10% in the fun stuff (whatever you want so long as it fits in the macros for the day)
    ^ Why would you need that final 10% of 'fun' stuff? You get more bites/a filling satisfaction from choosing semi junky foods-i'd rather have 20% of semi junky rather than only 10% and another 10% fun stuff. At least the semi-junky is better for you/has SOME health benefits (e.g. the thermogenic benefits of mustard/the lycopene in ketchup/ the fortified protein bars)

Also, when I mean "clean" foods, I mean foods with at least 10% digestable protein per 100g or at least 10g in a serving (e.g. baked beans). Erm, I also recommend foods with at least half of its total fat being monounsaturated and less than 10% trans fatty acids. Regarding the carbs I recommend less than a third of the food's carbohydrates being 'sugars' unless it's dairy product or if the sugar-laden product is eaten postworkout (ideally it should be glucose/maltodextrin). I also don't recommend eating over 80g carbs (over 4 slices of bread) at night for that energy won't be burned off in sleep,etc.

^I think you get me (hopefully). I don't recommend food with 'too many' sugars/sat or trans fats. I personally (on a cut) have 1.25+g protein per pound lean bodyweight (for women I assume it will be 1g). For carbs I try not to go over 1g per pound lean bodyweight and after that,the remaining calories should be fat. The way i personally do it is by subracting 500kcal from RMR/BMR for that equates to a pound of fat lost a week (going over 500 so soon means you may burn muscle). Again I PERSONALLY do it that way.
    ^^ I like to eat my protein & fats rather than junk/treat foods because it's more filling and beneficial for you.

As I said, I recommend something that works for me. What I don't recommend for others is something I haven't tried yet; a no-carb diet (no foods that are considered a carb source). Basically i'm going hardocre ketosis for 5 weeks but I don't recommend it unless it works/how I feel.
    5x5 is the greatest program ever (well, so far).

My favourite fighters:

1. Georges St. Pierre,
    2. Junior Dos Santos,
    3. Brock Lesnar,
    4. Bas Rutten,
    5. Randy Couture
    5. Daniel Cormier

olivia39 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FitnessCrush View Post
    The way I manage it is to eat healthy six days a week. On the 7th day I have a cheat meal and it can be as dirty as I like. Sometimes I don't even want it though...the healthier foods you eat the more you crave them and less of the junk. That may not apply to everyone, but it does to many people.

What you said to the OP about busting your ass in the gym...I couldn't agree more. It is the absolute best way to lose weight.
    i do this too! sundays, i get to eat anything i want. its like a day to enjoy my reward for working out and eating healthy for the week.

kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) kfisherx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ronki23: Let's see if I can say this one more time for you to actually get it.

I am happy dancing for you that you found stuff that works. Also doing a happy dance that you recommend that stuff that works for you personally. That said, I WILL NOT happy dance if you came to this board and gave advice to someone based on your own personal experience without the caveat that your opinion is based on your own personal experience and not science. The science says... IT DON'T MAKE A DAMN BIT OF DIFFERENCE if you eat 3 meals or 6 meals a day. If you eat 3 meals a day, you will see 3 thermic rises a bit larger and if you eat 6 meals a day, you'll see 6 smaller thermic effects.

Question: Which one is "right" to recommend?

Answer: The one that works for the individual.

So again. Your answer is right for YOU!!! (and for a lot of other people) It is NOT (in any way shape of form) the right answer for everyone.

Same story for your personal definintion of eating clean, etc.... If you want to eat 100% whole organic foods, harvested by paleo fed migrant workers only and you can stick to your macos and diet doing that. Whoo HOO for you. If you come here and demand that this is the only approach for me or a recommended approach for me (or anyone else for that matter), I will most likely shove that organic whole food in a place the sun never shines and kick your paleo fed migrant worker back to a wherever he came from.

Does this make any more sense? Tell ya what. If this doesn't compute with you then please refer to my very special diet for special people in this post 'cause that one might be better suited for you...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...&postcount=620

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ronki23 View Post

As I said, I personally recommend more than 4 meals a day because the snacks mask hunger in between meals/stop me gorging at main meals-i've noticed this from having snacks that are too small. I've also noticed that big meals/ only 2-3 meals makes me look/feel bloated and that depresses me.
    ^ I would personally recommend something that worked for me.
    I think it's great that it works for you but please do allow for the fact that it doesn't work for others. Every time I tried to eat 6 meals a day I overate and was hungry the whole time. There just is something about being nice and full from a real meal, I don't know what it is, my brain just says "ok, we had our food, now we are going to be ok for a few hours". When I eat itty bitty meals my brain is always saying "yeah, nice appetizer, but when is the REAL food coming?" Some say when they eat 6 meals they are never hungry. When I eat 6 meals I am ALWAYS hungry. It's hell!

juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juliacheh has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, I ate a biscotti with my morning coffee today, and I set a PR in overhead press this afternoon. Must have been biscotti, definitely.

So, girls, if you want to set a record in OHP, you know what to do

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by juliacheh View Post
    Yeah, I ate a biscotti with my morning coffee today, and I set a PR in overhead press this afternoon. Must have been biscotti, definitely.

LOL, biscotti is the new powerfood!

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

But do ya hafta dunk?

gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gobbles23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Chocolate cake works really well too!!! And cookies

aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50) aussiemommy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    I think it's great that it works for you but please do allow for the fact that it doesn't work for others. Every time I tried to eat 6 meals a day I overate and was hungry the whole time. There just is something about being nice and full from a real meal, I don't know what it is, my brain just says "ok, we had our food, now we are going to be ok for a few hours". When I eat itty bitty meals my brain is always saying "yeah, nice appetizer, but when is the REAL food coming?" Some say when they eat 6 meals they are never hungry. When I eat 6 meals I am ALWAYS hungry. It's hell!
    I'm a little bit like that too.

Heather80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey-o all -- Longtime lurker, first time poster...

I've pored over all of these threads, every link that Emma-Leigh recommends (thank you for the bounty of information!), every other seemingly-reliable sources' links, and links within links of links. However, I'm possibly more confused now than before. I just hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Go easy on the new kid...

First things first -- I'm a 30yo female, 5'9", 136lbs (61.7kg) and 20.7%BF. I have a desk job, but go to the gym 5 days/week. My goal is to drop at least 2%BF in 8 weeks. Feasible? More'd be nice, but I'll take what I can get. I'm trying to cut fat, subsequently bringing out what muscle I've been working hard over the past 7 months to build. Well, I guess I should say 6 months. For the past 6 and a half weeks, I've been trying out what appears to be a very simple eating plan as posted by wave_length on the "Fat Loss for Noobs" forum. (D'oh! Don't have enough posts to post a link)

As the above forum details, there are 3 basic rules to follow (and I quote):

"- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week."

(it gets more detailed, but those are the 3 basic rules that are repeated throughout the forum)

I've been consuming enough protein to meet the needs for 1g/lb of lean body weight, and some days a little more. I drink 2-3 liters of water/day. Calories fall between 1500-1600 during the week, plus or minus. A little more on the weekends (1800-2000). But I've kept a detailed log, recording every last morsel that passes through my lips, and have maintained a weekly deficit (based on a 2100 maintenance) each and every week, for a total deficit of 14,098 calories (technically, 4 lbs) over 6 weeks. I've lost 2 pounds. Pants are still snug. I...I...I don't understand.

Additionally, my gym performance has lagged severely; I'm tired and fatigued daily, have no energy and am all-around MISERABLE. I've made no gains in strength, but have to work 10 times as hard to maintain. Cardio is the bane of my existence, more so than it ever was, and I drag myself through it.

I strength train with weights 4-5 days/week (depending on the program I create for the month) for about 45 minutes/day. Lately, I've alternated the past 4 months -- one month I lift in the 5-8 rep range, then the next month in the 10-15 rep range. Cardio is usually moderate intensity (about 70%) for 20 min. 4-5 times/week.

I didn't come upon the "Calculating Calorie Needs and Macros" thread until after the aforementioned "Fat Loss for Noobs" thread. I felt an obligation to give the "Noobs" the ol' college try for a few weeks and see what happens. I did, and I'm miserable, and now I'm stuck. On the "Noob" thread, they all say the same thing -- not seeing results = drop the calories. If I drop the calories further, I'll be a useless blob. On the "Calories Needs" thread, although everything is broken down, there's still the "eat less, do more cardio, train heavy" postings.

So my question(s). According to Emma-Leigh's formula (and my calculations), I'm looking at 1712 cal, 190g protein, 55g fat and 114g carb -- instead of further dropping down from 1500-1600 to something silly like 1300-1400, will increasing to 1700 help me reach my goals? Would 1700 be too low, still? Also, as discussed at length in the other forum I referenced, can it really be possible to meet goals while only worrying about one macro -- protein? How is it that, if within the daily caloric allotment, and with meeting protein requirements, one must still maintain a set quantity for fat and carbs -- i.e. why is it so important to specifically reduce carbs to drop fat?

*whew* Guess that about sums it up for now. I really do appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks, gang!

P.S. I'd post a photo but this east coast heat literally melted my camera's innards Some day!

wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wave_length has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Heather80 View Post
    Hey-o all -- Longtime lurker, first time poster...

I've pored over all of these threads, every link that Emma-Leigh recommends (thank you for the bounty of information!), every other seemingly-reliable sources' links, and links within links of links. However, I'm possibly more confused now than before. I just hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Go easy on the new kid...

First things first -- I'm a 30yo female, 5'9", 136lbs (61.7kg) and 20.7%BF. I have a desk job, but go to the gym 5 days/week. My goal is to drop at least 2%BF in 8 weeks. Feasible? More'd be nice, but I'll take what I can get. I'm trying to cut fat, subsequently bringing out what muscle I've been working hard over the past 7 months to build. Well, I guess I should say 6 months. For the past 6 and a half weeks, I've been trying out what appears to be a very simple eating plan as posted by wave_length on the "Fat Loss for Noobs" forum. (D'oh! Don't have enough posts to post a link)

As the above forum details, there are 3 basic rules to follow (and I quote):

"- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week."

(it gets more detailed, but those are the 3 basic rules that are repeated throughout the forum)

I've been consuming enough protein to meet the needs for 1g/lb of lean body weight, and some days a little more. I drink 2-3 liters of water/day. Calories fall between 1500-1600 during the week, plus or minus. A little more on the weekends (1800-2000). But I've kept a detailed log, recording every last morsel that passes through my lips, and have maintained a weekly deficit (based on a 2100 maintenance) each and every week, for a total deficit of 14,098 calories (technically, 4 lbs) over 6 weeks. I've lost 2 pounds. Pants are still snug. I...I...I don't understand.

Additionally, my gym performance has lagged severely; I'm tired and fatigued daily, have no energy and am all-around MISERABLE. I've made no gains in strength, but have to work 10 times as hard to maintain. Cardio is the bane of my existence, more so than it ever was, and I drag myself through it.

I strength train with weights 4-5 days/week (depending on the program I create for the month) for about 45 minutes/day. Lately, I've alternated the past 4 months -- one month I lift in the 5-8 rep range, then the next month in the 10-15 rep range. Cardio is usually moderate intensity (about 70%) for 20 min. 4-5 times/week.

I didn't come upon the "Calculating Calorie Needs and Macros" thread until after the aforementioned "Fat Loss for Noobs" thread. I felt an obligation to give the "Noobs" the ol' college try for a few weeks and see what happens. I did, and I'm miserable, and now I'm stuck. On the "Noob" thread, they all say the same thing -- not seeing results = drop the calories. If I drop the calories further, I'll be a useless blob. On the "Calories Needs" thread, although everything is broken down, there's still the "eat less, do more cardio, train heavy" postings.

So my question(s). According to Emma-Leigh's formula (and my calculations), I'm looking at 1712 cal, 190g protein, 55g fat and 114g carb -- instead of further dropping down from 1500-1600 to something silly like 1300-1400,

1.) will increasing to 1700 help me reach my goals?

Would 1700 be too low, still? Also, as discussed at length in the other forum I referenced, can it really be possible to meet goals while only worrying about one macro -- protein? How is it that, if within the daily caloric allotment, and with meeting protein requirements, one must still maintain a set quantity for fat and carbs --

2.) i.e. why is it so important to specifically reduce carbs to drop fat?

*whew* Guess that about sums it up for now. I really do appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks, gang!
    1.) I'm afraid no.
    2.) it isn't.

If you feel bad with a certain caloric deficit, try to play around with all the unessential factors as explained in the guide. Some people need to eat one big meal a day, others need to eat several small meals to make the diet as convenient as possible, etc.
    How to lose fat for Noobs: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129247741

lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lroody has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    this is a really great thread! i think that for most people just starting out the most confusing aspects of reaching a goal is trying to; a) figure out the goal, and b) the nutrition behind it. Thank you for posting this very important question! I am loving the advice from all sides.

The main thing to think about, is that every body is different! Learn what your body reacts to, diet and exercise. Some bodies react to no cardio and just lifting, some bodies need it to keep burning fat. We all need cardio for our hearts, but for some just lifting heavy can get you results. Just listen to your body, and try a different diet every month, you will find something that works for you. But def have a cheat day. no one can stick to a super strict diet 100% of the time. That is how we fail; we set unmaintainable goals in the beginning. Our goals need to grow with us.

You can't run away from a diet. As long as you are moving, you are going to see results if you are eating what your body needs! Good luck!!!

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Heather80 - Fat loss is not perfectly linear sometimes you seem to lose nothing, then a bunch drops off out of nowhere- have you been tracking your body measurements and have they changed? While the protein rule is important, it is *also* important to get enough fats, from 0.3-0.5g per pound. If you aren't getting enough in your current diet, try increasing your fats and see if that makes you feel better.

I am no expert, but just looking at your stats compared to mine (you are taller, probably a slightly higher BMR), 1500 seems pretty low. I personally have been losing steadily at 1650 six days a week and up to 2600 (at least 2100) on my one free day a week, for an average of about 1750 cals out of a theoretical maintenance of 2100. Sometimes I lose multiple pounds a week, sometimes my scale weight stays the same for 2 weeks, but in the long run there is a definite trend of fat loss.

From what you wrote, you were recently bulking or maintaining before going on this cut? Do you know how many cals you were taking in and what your weight was doing during that time?

And carbs have nothing to do with losing fat, total cals do. However, the ratio of macros can influence how you feel (satiety, mood, etc) while cutting. Usually you want to make sure you are reaching your protein and fat goals, then can fill in the rest of the macros as works best for you.

ETA: Cardio 4-5 times a week is probably overkill. If you don't like it anyway, I would cut some sessions out and see how that works for you. You may also want to try a tried and true program such as Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women, rather than try to make your own lifting program up.

mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Im no expert in nutrition as some ladies in here, but regarding cardio...Last year i was a cardio junkie...Nowadays, i dont do any cardio,besides my futsal practices( at the moment,im not doing !+- 1 month without futsal), and im in the best shape of mt life..( far far away for what i want,but still).,,I think cardio is more important to our health rather than for weight loss,but each individual knows what´s best for him...This is based on my personal experience.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143471063&p=854819153#post854819153
    Cut,cut, cut!

Thanks for all the input, gang! AND, now I know what "futsal" is, too

mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50) mariia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Heather80 View Post
    Thanks for all the input, gang! AND, now I know what "futsal" is, too
    Killer sport! Love it.
    Stay strong!!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143471063&p=854819153#post854819153
    Cut,cut, cut!

dpapa1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It took a whole night of gin and sodas to break my PR in the squat.

Weird things happen sometimes.

Firecracker91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Eating healthy isn't always just to help you lose unneeded weight and help the body bulk up, it's about the nutrients. Not to mention, looking at this from a chemical and biological perspective, when you eat food, your body breaks it down into small enough parts, (fatty acids, glycerol, amino acids, and mono-saccharides) after that, the body absorbs the nutrients and begins to use them after they are all filtered in the liver. If you eat a lot of carbohydrates and fats, specifically fats that aren't that good for you anyway (trans fats and saturated fats), they are stored as glycogen ( carbs stored in the liver) and what we see as body fat. When you go to sleep before using a good amount of the extra calories that won't be "burned off" in your sleep by your basal metabolic rate, these two substances will increase in those areas. Then you wake in the morning to eat breakfast. Your body will first burn the calories from your breakfast before it reaches into its "reserves" for fuel. The first place your body takes energy yielding nutrients from is the glycogen in the liver. Only when the Glycogen rations are depleted will the body begin to break down fat in the body. Therefore timing could have an effect if the body's basal metabolic rate isn't high enough to break down all of the extra calories from a late meal. The other big deal with eating healthy is you body needs more than fat, carbs and protein, it needs many different vitamins and minerals to function, you cannot get a lot of these nutrients from junk foods. Some people who take vitamins and minerals argue that they get all they need from their vitamins or supplements, but the body absorbs certain things better through foods rather than pills. I'm not a professional, I'm just making inferences from the knowledge I've gained through the years with science.

chasidy1890 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chasidy1890 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chasidy1890 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chasidy1890 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chasidy1890 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

wow

Ok u know I'm not a genius but out of everybook and tv shows and magazine for fitness and the trainers that I've talked to they all swear by eating five to six meals a day and what I have seen and heard out of the people that have lost weight now the main thing behind it is u eat about 3 main meals and two snacks just enough so u don't over eat.

So what I do
    Breakfast - anything within 400 cals
    Snack- about 200 Cal's
    lunch - another 400 Cal's
    Supper - 200 Cal's
    Snack - 400 cals

The suppers can have more calories the goal is to keep under management calories another way to lose weight is to have only 15 grams of sugar and 6 servings of carbs but that gets really complex. Lol

Its honestly that simple and then working out for about an hour to an hour in a half atleast 30 mins of cardio u can walk or if u have a gym membership an elliptical is easy on ur joints but its a killer for my back but it maybe the way I hold my self lol but remember to have fun and push yourself in the end u can listen to me or anyone else but u need to choose to do it hope what everyone has said helps u I have a ton of weight to lose too

Originally Posted by Firecracker91 View Post
    Eating healthy isn't always just to help you lose unneeded weight and help the body bulk up, it's about the nutrients. Not to mention, looking at this from a chemical and biological perspective, when you eat food, your body breaks it down into small enough parts, (fatty acids, glycerol, amino acids, and mono-saccharides) after that, the body absorbs the nutrients and begins to use them after they are all filtered in the liver. If you eat a lot of carbohydrates and fats, specifically fats that aren't that good for you anyway (trans fats and saturated fats), they are stored as glycogen ( carbs stored in the liver) and what we see as body fat. When you go to sleep before using a good amount of the extra calories that won't be "burned off" in your sleep by your basal metabolic rate, these two substances will increase in those areas. Then you wake in the morning to eat breakfast. Your body will first burn the calories from your breakfast before it reaches into its "reserves" for fuel. The first place your body takes energy yielding nutrients from is the glycogen in the liver. Only when the Glycogen rations are depleted will the body begin to break down fat in the body. Therefore timing could have an effect if the body's basal metabolic rate isn't high enough to break down all of the extra calories from a late meal. The other big deal with eating healthy is you body needs more than fat, carbs and protein, it needs many different vitamins and minerals to function, you cannot get a lot of these nutrients from junk foods. Some people who take vitamins and minerals argue that they get all they need from their vitamins or supplements, but the body absorbs certain things better through foods rather than pills. I'm not a professional, I'm just making inferences from the knowledge I've gained through the years with science.
    Originally Posted by chasidy1890 View Post
    Ok u know I'm not a genius but out of everybook and tv shows and magazine for fitness and the trainers that I've talked to they all swear by eating five to six meals a day and what I have seen and heard out of the people that have lost weight now the main thing behind it is u eat about 3 main meals and two snacks just enough so u don't over eat.

So what I do
    Breakfast - anything within 400 cals
    Snack- about 200 Cal's
    lunch - another 400 Cal's
    Supper - 200 Cal's
    Snack - 400 cals

The suppers can have more calories the goal is to keep under management calories another way to lose weight is to have only 15 grams of sugar and 6 servings of carbs but that gets really complex. Lol

Its honestly that simple and then working out for about an hour to an hour in a half atleast 30 mins of cardio u can walk or if u have a gym membership an elliptical is easy on ur joints but its a killer for my back but it maybe the way I hold my self lol but remember to have fun and push yourself in the end u can listen to me or anyone else but u need to choose to do it hope what everyone has said helps u I have a ton of weight to lose too
    Girls this thread is REALLY old. And please read the WHOLE thing before posting the same (and potentially wrong stuff). If you have something of value to add to this thread then fine but better yet, start a new one with your points so that it is easy to address without derailing the first thread.

jovvie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is my first post here.

I am happy that I have read this thread, actually it was probably the *sticky* by Emma-Leigh (being new I can't post URL's but I'm referring to the "**ATTENTION**: Men, before you post, YOU NEED TO READ THIS!"), but I can't reply to that. Anyway, the reason being I always used to eat 3 meals per day. Then somewhere along the way I heard we should be eating every 2-3 hours for approx 6 meals per day (or 3 meals with 3 snacks, whatever). I have to say it is EXHAUSTING thinking about what to eat all the time, not to mention that I then give myself a complex because I just think I'm crazy and obsessed with food. It is inconvenient for me to plan 6 meals a day, not to mention fitting them in between my work schedule and I then get that feeling that I'm always eating, because by the time my stomach has settled down and then go and put more in it. And sometimes I don't even want food it's just because I've been programmed to think I SHOULD eat something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm overweight at the moment and have come here because I'm interested in taking up natural bodybuilding (or maybe something like a "sports model" look - is that still classified as bodybuilding?) so I'm not exercising regularly, properly and probably consuming about 10x my daily requirements. But, please don't judge I'm here to change. I'm just saying I like hearing support for the 3 meals a day practice as it's something I feel my body has desired and functioned well with naturally.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jovvie View Post
    This is my first post here.

I am happy that I have read this thread, actually it was probably the *sticky* by Emma-Leigh (being new I can't post URL's but I'm referring to the "**ATTENTION**: Men, before you post, YOU NEED TO READ THIS!"), but I can't reply to that. Anyway, the reason being I always used to eat 3 meals per day. Then somewhere along the way I heard we should be eating every 2-3 hours for approx 6 meals per day (or 3 meals with 3 snacks, whatever). I have to say it is EXHAUSTING thinking about what to eat all the time, not to mention that I then give myself a complex because I just think I'm crazy and obsessed with food. It is inconvenient for me to plan 6 meals a day, not to mention fitting them in between my work schedule and I then get that feeling that I'm always eating, because by the time my stomach has settled down and then go and put more in it. And sometimes I don't even want food it's just because I've been programmed to think I SHOULD eat something.

Don't get me wrong, I'm overweight at the moment and have come here because I'm interested in taking up natural bodybuilding (or maybe something like a "sports model" look - is that still classified as bodybuilding?) so I'm not exercising regularly, properly and probably consuming about 10x my daily requirements. But, please don't judge I'm here to change. I'm just saying I like hearing support for the 3 meals a day practice as it's something I feel my body has desired and functioned well with naturally.
    Absolutely. You will hear numerous people try to tell you to eat more frequently to "boost your metabolism" but the majority of research has shown that fat loss comes down to nothing more than calories in vs calories out and the thermic effect of digestion has been grossly overestimated in the past. Of course, once people want to achieve or sustain extremely low levels of body fat, it can become a little more complicated but it doesn't HAVE to be for the average Joe.

I used to eat every 2-3hrs because I thought i had to. I ended up constantly hungry and obsessed with food. It also does not work with my job anymore (I am now a nurse, formerly had a desk job).

Welcome to the forum and have a really good read of the stickies on Calculating Calories and Macros and Training Basics. They will help point you in the right direction. An excellent resource is the New Rules of Lifting for Woman which is available in bookstores. Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle is an excellent e-book. I would caution against reading too much stuff of the main site of BB.com... a lot of it is rubbish.
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by imperfectly_lou View Post
    Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle is an excellent e-book. I would caution against reading too much stuff of the main site of BB.com... a lot of it is rubbish.
    Unless Mr. Venuto has updated his e-book, there is plenty of now de-bunked myths in there as well, nutrition wise. Has he updated?

The original used to be my bible, practically. He certainly knows a lot about achieving low body fat levels, for sure. And hey, he IS a Jersey boy.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

wisebecky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face

Read the thread one more time.... It is stated OVER and OVER and OVER again that EATING TOO MANY CALORIES is what makes you gain weight not eating certain foods. IF you have no control once you eat junk food or sugar than BY ALL MEANS do not eat it. It may be much more sensible FOR YOU to eat small "clean" (Whatever the Fuk that means) meals but it isn't for me. I can eat a Big Mac and be fine for the rest of the day meeting my goals. IF you are going to advise clients on diet and nutrition the stuff that works for you is not necesarrily valid advice because this does not happen to everyone. So if you are a professional, then know the difference between This-works-for-me AND This-is-a-general-principal-that-works-for-everyone. The ONLY things you can rely on and advise on is the general principals. The rest is a matter of what works for individuals. My clients know how to do "macro management" and do not have all these hang ups and food avoidance things that many of you seem to have. It is a different and more freeing way to meet their goals. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Which way is better? The way that works for the person trying to reach the goal, based on general principals (that work for everyone) and the way that is sustainable...
    I think this says it all.

mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mydreamshape has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You don't NEED to go low fat... I lost body fat with the ketogenic diet (5% carbs, 70% fat, 25% proteins). I went down to 18%. I am not testing 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% proteins. So fat I am more hungry than before but I just missed fruits and vegetables too much.
    www.mydreamshape.com (Tips and Tools to get you into Bikini Model Shape)