Masons95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Skinny fat problems!

Ok.. Getting straight to the point, I’m Skinny fat i’m actually a prime example of skinny fat! Im 5’10 (rather lanky) weigh in at 140 pounds (10st2) Did my BMI at the gym and everything checks in good, It says my Body fat percentage is 13% and my body fat mass is 8.3kg i don’t know if this is accurate but this is what the BMI machine says haha. Iv always been skinny, Skinny arms shoulders wrists. BUT my gut looks like a 3 month pregnant woman lol it’s always been very predominant no matter what. Iv been hitting the gym for nearly a month now. I won’t tell you my full routine as it varies but i go to the gym 3/4 times a week obviously with breaks. I do a mile on the treadmill before i do anything else just for genreal fitness. After the treadmill i do 2/3 of the gym machines just to workout my arms chest and shoulders with the weights ranging from 14kg to 23kg. After that i do my pull-ups and crunches. Then i hit the dumbbells maybe 3 sets of 10 at 10-16kg. Not going to lie i havnt set foot on the dead squats bench press as i’m new to the gym and don’t want to overdo anything too soon! Iv seen significant changes in my muscle.. Well a little bit.. But i’m wanting to know a PROPPER routine that will get rid of my ‘skinny fat’ gut but also at the same time gain a lot of muscle. My diet is pretty clean recently, No junk food,chocolate, fizzy drinks. Eating my protein like meats pasta etc.. 3 meals a day is what i’m eating with the occasianal piece of fruit. Basically getting to the point i’m not sure if what i’m eating is gunna affect my gym efforts. So how do i gain muscle but lose my gut? PS no negativity as i’m new to the gym and dieting so yes i am a beginner haha. Thanks

Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mario875 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Masons95 View Post
    Eating my protein like meats pasta etc..
    You know pasta is a carb right? lol

As for your question, I'm no expert and I'm sure others on here will be able to give a better answer, but this is my take on it.....first reduce the cardio, too much cardio will just keep you looking skinny. Next step, increase the resistance training. More resistance training (weights, bodyweight, machines) will build muscle mass. More muscle mass means your body needs more energy just to maintain the muscle mass which will in turn help get rid of the belly fat.

Another thing is do plenty of core exercises. Core exercises will make your abs and stomach stronger / firmer which can "pull in" a sagging gut and make it look slimmer. You might not be as fat as you think, but a weak core makes it look worse than it is.

Then onto nutrition....its good you've cut out the junk, but you will need to ensure your macros are right, namely protein for building muscle. Aim for about 1.5g of protein for every 1kg (2.2lb) of bodyweight. Some people here say 1g for 1lb of bodyweight, but everything I have read states that is excessive for all but body builders. As a beginner, you will see good results with 1.5g per kg.

Then you have your total calories....for someone who is 5'10" and 140lb you need to add weight! So eat a slight calorie excess and aim to turn those calories into muscle by doing resistance training. I am 5'4" and 133lb and reasonably slim, so you must be really skinny! Gut or no gut. At that height / weight I would say eat more and build muscle / a better core. Over time the gut will go.
    Last edited by Mario875; 12-07-2017 at 05:00 AM.

Masons95 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah the pasta thing was my bad haha! Thanks for the advice very useful! Like i say.. i’m new to the healthy kinda lifestyle so i’m learning from my mistakes but ill sure take your advice! i enjoy doing the treadmill so maybe half a mile at a fast pace would be better but your right about the weights i probably need to bulk up and lift more heavy! thanks man

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Get on a proper lifting routine.

Eat enough to gain ~2lbs per month.

Don't worry about the fat around your stomach right now. Nothing's going to get rid of it for a while whilst you build some muscle.

There is no need to eliminate the cardio if you wanna do it for fitness, but you'll have to increase the amount you eat to cover the calories you're burning from cardio. If you're doing it "to burn fat" then just stop because that's not a thing.

If you're new to lifting, I would recommend Starting Strength or Fierce 5 Novice Routine (the latter can be found in the sticky threads in this very section!)

In terms of nutrition:

I have assumed your age to be 22 (based on the 95 in your name) and that you'll lift 3x per week as per my advice, and that gives the following values:

Daily calories for a lean bulk: 2846

Daily protein minimum: 98g
    Daily fat minimum: 63g

Remaining cals after hitting minimums: 1887 (eat mostly carbs for these but the macro ratios don't really matter)

So if the above works, then keep doing it. You may need more cals if the weight gain is too slow or not there, you may need less if the weight gain is too fast (much of it would then be fat)

Be patient with reducing the fat around your midsection. There's no point in cutting when you're already small or you'll just look like a skeleton. No amount of cardio or crunches is going to stop you having that extra fat there. It doesn't work like that. So bulk up first, then cut down when you actually have some muscle to cut down to.

You will probably find that as you gain muscle, the belly fat becomes less noticeable anyway.

There is no such thing as "skinny fat", you are just skinny.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew