canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

1st year muscle gain expectations?

I am 34 and this year is the first time I have seriously started lifted weights, watching nutrition, getting protein in me etc

On Apr 22 I had a bodpod test and had 130lbs of lbm - 12 weeks later I had another test and was at 135lbs.

I have another test tomorrow (another 12 weeks later) and hope to be at 140lbs lbm

My questions is for the first year proper training and nutrition, could someone ages 34/35 realistically expect to continue this for a total gain of 20lbs in the first year?

Just wondering if anyone has anything similar to share, or any knowledge gained

Thanks
    The body doesn't struggle to lose weight...the mind does - keep measurements, keep your sanity.

I'm an Englishman living in Canada...oh how I miss a decent curry!

Former skinny fat member @ 158lbs - now 205lbs and 15%. It's been a long journey but a rewarding one.

noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by canadiancoops View Post
    I am 34 and this year is the first time I have seriously started lifted weights, watching nutrition, getting protein in me etc

On Apr 22 I had a bodpod test and had 130lbs of lbm - 12 weeks later I had another test and was at 135lbs.

I have another test tomorrow (another 12 weeks later) and hope to be at 140lbs lbm

My questions is for the first year proper training and nutrition, could someone ages 34/35 realistically expect to continue this for a total gain of 20lbs in the first year?

Thanks
    Hey. Same boat as you bro, and a fellow cannuck to boot (notice i said boot, not aboot)!!!

So, I started seriously about a year ago and much heavier lifting aboot 3 months ago. I introduced protein, creatine, a multi, zma, and fish oil to my diet. I rarely drink booze so that wasn't a problem, but my overall diet needed work and it's an ongoing project.

That being said, when i started i was close to 25% bf, now i'm likely 14-17. went from 215, to 188 and look way leaner with decent definition.

I haven't done the pod but have been meaning to visit my local uni and try it (they do it by appt for like $35)

So i think you can do what you're saying by eating slightly over maintenance calories and lifting heavy, compound lifts. Try GVT or HST or something like that and see how it goes.

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    20 pounds of quality muscle gained in one year seems like a lot to me. Everyone is a bit different, not to say that one couldn't see that degree of progress over the course of 12 months or so, but it's probably more unlikely than not. One thing for sure, gains seem to sneak up on you. After a good 3 or 4 months of proper diet and hitting the weights intelligently, you look in the mirror, and all of a sudden you can see some dramatic changes! It's never so much simply a matter of 'how much weight you put on,' but how your body is responding to your efforts. You could call it 'reproportioning!' Ha ha Just 5 to 7 pounds of solid, quality muscle packed on your frame can be pretty impressive across the board! Weight alone is deceptive.
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thanks
    So you've never gotten protein in your diet until this year? Seriously, there is no way to answer your question. Way too many factors involved such as genetics, intelligence, consistency, work ethic, etc. to predict what you'll gain or won't gain. I've seen guys in the gym who look like they've never trained a day in their life and they've been coming to the gym for 3 years. Then there are people on here who have made pretty impressive progress in only a few years.
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

Consistency. Intensity. Medtreker's Avatar
    Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks
    Training naturally, I viewed and judged my gains differently now for 3 years of serious training. First year I saw huge increase in how much weight I could lift, and saw myself looking better but not looking great. Second year I went for a better appearence, was bulked up (a bit) and looked "bigger" muscularly, but still didn't look great. Third year, went for fat loss to get a ripped look. That did the trick, but had to struggle to keep "gains." Now I'm just entering 4th year of serious bb, plan to hold current weight over Winter (tough not to gain), but increase lifts slowly. Then in Spring, try and drop more fat, hopefully like 5 pounds should do it.

You should see dramatic gain in first year when training naturally. After that, you need to incorporate all types of methods to keep the gains coming. A slow steady pace wins the race. If you want to blow up, can't go natual. I find it fun to be challenged by gains, it keeps me always pushing harder.
    Tony

"Punch It Bishop"

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Some of it will depend upon your genetics and a LOT will depend upon how you eat. When you first start out training doesnt matter as much as your muscles aren't used to doing much of anything so they will tend to respond quickly. I made great gains my first year when I over trained and did not eat correctly. I now realize I could have maximized my results if I had a better diet which means MORE protein!!!! Much more. My idead of protein was stopping at McDonals for a chocolate shake. Oh, if I only knew then what I know now....

nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I went from 150 to 175 ( 5 ft 7 in) in my first 12 months. I am not sure what my lbm was or is but I lost close to 2 inches on my waist so I was happy with it. I didn't really have a set weight goal ( my 1 year goal was to continue eating healthy and keep going to the gym) I just tried to eat about 250-300 calories over maintenance and gain 2-3 pounds a month. Just my experience, good luck with your goals.
    "it's likely one of us will have to spend some days alone"

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was 35 when I joined a gym and I got 15 pounds the first year. Newb gains were a lot of fun.

There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) canadiancoops is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks for the feedback guys - I had the test and was disappointed as it said I hadn't put on any muscle in 12 weeks which seems suspect to me. I think I'll stick to the 'mirror' test as I feel I have put on muscle. I'll continue to eat right, eat tonnes of protein and lift til my head pops off. Good luck everyone in your own journeys
    The body doesn't struggle to lose weight...the mind does - keep measurements, keep your sanity.

I'm an Englishman living in Canada...oh how I miss a decent curry!

Former skinny fat member @ 158lbs - now 205lbs and 15%. It's been a long journey but a rewarding one.

Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was 170-175lsb when I got back in...ending the 1st year I was 200lbs...then 6 mos 205...now 199-200lbs
    The first year was muscle gain along with the fat chilling out around my bell // which is soo hard to burn....only in my 2nd year consistently and now realizing that the fat is burning much faster than I first started...must be because of increase of work volume+weight ....totally proportional to fat burning...and thats all just guesstimation with a tiny bit of vanity looking in the mirror OH and also pinching/massaging the belly fat

Audaces fortuna iuvat BillReilly's Avatar
    BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000) BillReilly is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by paolo59 View Post
    One thing for sure, gains seem to sneak up on you. After a good 3 or 4 months of proper diet and hitting the weights intelligently, you look in the mirror, and all of a sudden you can see some dramatic changes!
    This is an excellent point. One day I looked in the mirror and noticed my arms and chest were bigger. I thought I imagining it. Then I went on vacation to see some friends and they kept telling me how "big" I was getting. That's when it made sense to me why so many here have before and after pics. I wish I had done it, but disgust with myself is what got me in the gym.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Is it possible for a stone-cold noob to gain 20 pounds of muscle in his 1st year? Sure.

Your age won't be a factor, but your training, nutrition, and recovery certainly will be. If you do just about everything correctly most of the time, IMO, that goal is a realistic one.

That said, most noobs won't reach that level due to training on a crappy routine full of isolation exercises, won't get adequate sleep/rest, and will have only hit-or-miss nutrition. They'll also rely on supplements to take up the slack in the aforementioned shortcomings, and will fail to make maximal progress if they make any progress at all.

Don't construe the above as being negative; I simply try to call 'em as I see 'em. If you do most stuff right most of the time, the sky is the limit.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733