Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 2136

Thread: Laser Focus

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by shesprints View Post
    ITT we all have flashbacks to our evolutionary past as apes and decide to return to brachiating in the forest.

When I lifted today (with the trainer) he had me do Smith machine squats with my feet braced in front of me and kind of leaning BACK against the bar. It felt very interesting and challenging; I'd avoided the Smith machine in the past out of, I suppose, ego, but it's a useful auxiliary exercise. Basically, my trainer tells me that it will help with the smaller stabilizer muscles that have been lagging for me and improve my regular lifts. I trust him since he's already helped me make enormous improvements. He also told me that my goal of a 135 bench this year is very attainable considering I was doing sets of 6 at 95. That was good to hear.
    Yeah, I suppose we could call it flashbacks on evolution. I just say I like trees.

Interesting on the smith machine in part as it came up when I was lifting. Had a woman set up on the rack next to me with the little 10 lb hex plates even though each setup has the olympic sets. She seemed hesitant then asked me if there was one that had it attached to the set up, so she doesn't quite know what the machine is called. Small part of me wanted to tell her it's so much better not on the smith machine but she's not at that point comfort level wise so I just told her where the one was located. I have used the smith machine but not for regular squats. Mostly I find it useful for attempting pull ups cause all the other spots are too tall for me and I can't always find something to stand on. But I've done the close stance, feet more in front type of squat with it and it helps for things like that too for sure.

Yay to the possibility of getting that bench goal!
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The rash guard is actually really cheap! You can find it here if you're interested. I use these to lift in sometimes, it's not like they're only for BJJ. I'm 5'6'' and currently 145 and a size medium, if that helps.
    Saving this link! I can't snag one yet, what I don't need for necessities I've already dedicated to blowing on my local art supply shop, lol. But I do need to hang on to this for later on.

I think biking is very specific. I don't know if you can train for it with anything but biking... it was hard for me even when I was highly aerobically fit from running because the muscles are so different.
    I really wish I could say it was "biking-biking" but no, it was just casually riding bikes on a flat paved road. Even with a chitty rental bike that had a seat like a medieval torture device, I don't think it should have been that hard. T_T

[quote]Please do find a tree. Even if there is no perfect pullup branch, I maintain tree-climbing is excellent exercise on its own.[quote]
    I don't know about climbing (acrophobic af), but I will try to find a good tree for it.

When I lifted today (with the trainer) he had me do Smith machine squats with my feet braced in front of me and kind of leaning BACK against the bar. It felt very interesting and challenging; I'd avoided the Smith machine in the past out of, I suppose, ego, but it's a useful auxiliary exercise.
    SM gets a bad rap, because so many people use it poorly. It's good for SM squats, hip thrusts, vertical leg press, not so much for bench pressing or strict squats or anything else that doesn't have a straight bar path. It's a good tool when used for the right exercises though.

So yeah, progress with weights is slow but steady, and I'm pleased that I don't seem to have lost any strength on this cut!

One annoying thing about the cut is when holding the bar in front squat or jerk position on my collarbone it hurts quite a bit--it's just bone there. But I should also work on supporting it more with my core and bracing so it doesn't weigh so heavily on me.
    Woot!

Lol, I have a small collarbone, but it's pretty prominent anywhere within a healthy weight range for me. So far cross grip front squats keeps it off of there, but I'm dreading the day I have to switch.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Follow up: Pull ups were a no go, but I managed a couple chin ups!

sadly, life is a marathon shesprints's Avatar
    shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    Yeah, I suppose we could call it flashbacks on evolution. I just say I like trees.

Interesting on the smith machine in part as it came up when I was lifting. Had a woman set up on the rack next to me with the little 10 lb hex plates even though each setup has the olympic sets. She seemed hesitant then asked me if there was one that had it attached to the set up, so she doesn't quite know what the machine is called. Small part of me wanted to tell her it's so much better not on the smith machine but she's not at that point comfort level wise so I just told her where the one was located. I have used the smith machine but not for regular squats. Mostly I find it useful for attempting pull ups cause all the other spots are too tall for me and I can't always find something to stand on. But I've done the close stance, feet more in front type of squat with it and it helps for things like that too for sure.

Yay to the possibility of getting that bench goal!
    I know right? I think we can both do it this year. I think the thing about the Smith machine is that there's stigma but sometimes it's for no reason... it's the same as when I refused to use body lotion because I was too "macho." I have some dumb hangups that really just keep me from doing things that are healthy.

Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    Saving this link! I can't snag one yet, what I don't need for necessities I've already dedicated to blowing on my local art supply shop, lol. But I do need to hang on to this for later on.
    Priorities I like how much you're focused on your art right now. Important to have creative passions.

I really wish I could say it was "biking-biking" but no, it was just casually riding bikes on a flat paved road. Even with a chitty rental bike that had a seat like a medieval torture device, I don't think it should have been that hard. T_T
    That might just be the discomfort of the bike itself. Big reason I never got into that sport!

SM gets a bad rap, because so many people use it poorly. It's good for SM squats, hip thrusts, vertical leg press, not so much for bench pressing or strict squats or anything else that doesn't have a straight bar path. It's a good tool when used for the right exercises though.
    Yeah, exactly!

Follow up: Pull ups were a no go, but I managed a couple chin ups!
    OMG YAY CHINUPS! Listen lady those count too, that's freaking awesome, so happy for you <3 On a branch, no less? That's extra hard. Awesome.

Good day of training today. I finally felt over my cold and went hard while still focusing on technique, and a ton of things I'd been drilling just finally seemed to click: arm triangles feel easy now, arm bar hunting is getting automatic, and even taking the back and going for bow and arrow chokes way better. Shooting for regular triangles too. We'll see. But I feel good. Got nice comments again as well.

BJJ--3 hours
    Drill 45 min
    Guard pull
    Closed guard to back take
    Bottom half to back or sweep or come up
    Top half to back take w optional gift wrap
    Single x to double x to baby bolo

Open mat 10 x 5 min rounds
    Worked defense a lot
    Got arm triangle x 2 from top half (one was closer to a van flue), got 3 x arm bars, 1 x bow and arrow choke

Advanced 1 gi
    Hip bump sweeps
    Arm bar from beginning of hip "bump" sweep
    If they post their arm, swivel up to technical standup with arm posted, other thigh over their back, swing other leg in and over to a kind of flying triangle

5 x 5 min regular training
    more good tough battles, gave a blue belt guy a good run for his money

Then went out to Staten Island to see a beautiful Chinese lantern exhibition. It was gorgeous. I was so exhausted afterwards, though. Definitely a high calorie burn day between the three hours of jiu jitsu and all the walking Rachel and I did on our date. So calories were higher--I aimed at 2400 and hit right about there. That's still a substantial deficit based on activity.

Breakfast 8:30am
    1 egg, 3 egg whites
    3 oz onion
    2 oz bro-cco-li
    6.2 oz asparagus
    1/4 c oats, 1/4 c pumpkin, 1/2 T cocoa
    3 oz fat free Greek yogurt
    4.25 oz pineapple
    4 oz unsweetened almond milk
    2 x fish oil
    1 x multi

Intra/postworkout 12:30 and 2:00pm
    12 oz potato

Lunch 3:00pm
    2 cups vegetable soup
    5.25 oz turkey breast
    1.9 oz tomato
    .75 oz lettuce
    2 oz avocado
    2.79 oz whole wheat sourdough bread

Dinner 8:00pm
    13.4 oz cauliflower
    6.4 oz black beans
    5.3 oz 93% lean turkey
    3 oz onion
    2.5 oz avocado
    1/4 c bulgur
    7.25 oz apple
    400mg magnesium

2390 cal, 331C/160P/58F

Especially on heavy workout days, I can tell that filling in the cals with carbs makes a huge difference in my energy. I'm happy training today was so good. I feel heartened for my sub only comp as I'm finally actually GETTING subs. I also enjoyed drilling and actually found myself hitting drill moves in rolls which is huge, means I'm internalizing what I'm training.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) shesprints has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Went to my parents' and went through some old boxes of my artwork and poetry... I was such a weird kid. I'm kind of glad I went through my artsy phase young and am going through my dumb jock phase now :P I'lll post some pics later, once I get the time and energy to upload.

I did find my little bro's diary talking about how I used to love to play school with him and give him tests and worksheets. LMAO that's my job now.

Anyway, training today was good but my knee hurts for some reason unrelated to BJJ, I think? It twinged while I was going up some steps. I'm going to take a rest day tomorrow, Advil, maybe some ice. It should be fine, not super painful or anything, just want to be careful. If it's still bad the day after I'll rest again, I suppose.

Good news is I got another person to drill with me. Now I have several regular partners! YAY! Having drill partners is like the major mark of being respected at my gym.

BJJ--2 hours
    Drill 50 min
    Half guard overhead sweep (key detail: get butterfly hook foot in first)
    Top half to back take
    Single x to double x to baby bolo
    -->Tip on single x entry--hold far pant leg
    -->Double x--switch legs first but also let go of pant first too
    Rear choke do a rear guillotine "short choke" like Marcelo

Advanced 1 gi
    Fakeout guard passes from stepping inside legs
    1. Step inside and let them hug your leg, grab collar and far pant leg, flick shin over their leg and then backstep other leg to pass.
    2. Step in and underhook their arm, then grab shoulder in a "rear naked choke" and fall into back take.
    3. If they start to come up on single, keep hold of their back collar, turn, kick leg out, throw them forward w/ collar and step the kicked leg back for a back take.
    4. Grab across collar and collect their arm, head down under arm and dive under/roll for loop choke from your back.

5 x 5 min regular training
    worked on sweeps, defending and pulling people into closed guard.

Food...

Breakfast 8:00am
    1 egg, 3 egg whites
    8.9 oz asparagus
    4 oz fat free Greek yogurt
    5 oz pineapple
    4 oz unsweetened almond milk
    2 x fish oil
    1 x multi

Intra/postworkout 11:30 and 1:00pm
    12 oz potato

Lunch 3:00pm
    2 cups vegetable soup
    4 oz tilapia
    2 oz avocado
    2 x wasa

Dinner 7:00pm
    12 oz cauliflower
    6 oz bro-co-li
    1 oz fat free Greek yogurt
    6 oz turkey thigh
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 oz olives
    1 T prunes
    9 oz polenta
    1 T parmesan
    6.6 oz almond milk
    400mg magnesium

2110 cal, 248C/149P/67F

Pretty good day of food, satiated, decent macros. Going to take some Advil and head to bed in a moment hoping my knee clears up over the course of tomorrow.
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
    --Hubert Humphrey

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170707741&p=1427864821#post1427864821

Priorities I like how much you're focused on your art right now. Important to have creative passions.
    Indeed. It's been a lot of fun. Found a sketch daily subreddit provides daily prompts, so I've been checking those out too.

OMG YAY CHINUPS! Listen lady those count too, that's freaking awesome, so happy for you <3 On a branch, no less? That's extra hard. Awesome.
    Oh yeah they certainly count, I was actually a bit sore from just doing a few (plus I was off workouts for a bit so that probably contributed).
    Good day of training today. I finally felt over my cold and went hard while still focusing on technique, and a ton of things I'd been drilling just finally seemed to click: arm triangles feel easy now, arm bar hunting is getting automatic, and even taking the back and going for bow and arrow chokes way better. Shooting for regular triangles too. We'll see. But I feel good. Got nice comments again as well.
    Way to go, sounds like some muscle memory playing is a role, it sounds like the movements are coming more naturally to you.
    Went to my parents' and went through some old boxes of my artwork and poetry... I was such a weird kid. I'm kind of glad I went through my artsy phase young and am going through my dumb jock phase now :P I'lll post some pics later, once I get the time and energy to upload.
    In for the pics! Can relate to being a weird kid, but I think I lost a lot of my evidence of that. >.<

Anyway, training today was good but my knee hurts for some reason unrelated to BJJ, I think? It twinged while I was going up some steps. I'm going to take a rest day tomorrow, Advil, maybe some ice. It should be fine, not super painful or anything, just want to be careful. If it's still bad the day after I'll rest again, I suppose.

Good news is I got another person to drill with me. Now I have several regular partners! YAY! Having drill partners is like the major mark of being respected at my gym.
    Hope your knee feels better! I know how much you dislike rest, lol.
    And congrats on the drill partner collection.
    6 oz bro-co-li
    lol

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good luck with the knee, weird how chit can just hurt out of nowhere and be an issue for a couple days.

Being artsy is awesome! I loved drawing and writing and building stuff as a kid. Tempted to take up painting now, kinda like the Bob Ross big canvas propped up while holding a paint board. Would paint nature stuff with big meaty wolves growling and attacking like in The Grey! I am 100% sure I'd end up with 105 awesome wolf fight paintings that I would be obsessed with and try to get family/friends to hang up all over their house.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Indeed. It's been a lot of fun. Found a sketch daily subreddit provides daily prompts, so I've been checking those out too.

Oh yeah they certainly count, I was actually a bit sore from just doing a few (plus I was off workouts for a bit so that probably contributed).

Way to go, sounds like some muscle memory playing is a role, it sounds like the movements are coming more naturally to you.

In for the pics! Can relate to being a weird kid, but I think I lost a lot of my evidence of that. >.<

Hope your knee feels better! I know how much you dislike rest, lol.
    And congrats on the drill partner collection.

lol
    My knee feels all better! Yay rest days! And yoga.

Haha I think people who find fitness a bit later in life tend to have had artistic childhoods... whereas the jocks are just now discovering art. Who knows? I should start drawing again; I find it so calming, and I was always pretty good at life drawing and portraiture--not so great at anything that requires imagination, like illustration, but if it's front of me i can take a decent crack at it. I think that's why I didn't pursue art more. It didn't really allow for imagination in the way I was able to do it.

Art dump this is almost all from an art class I took in 2003.

Food was whatever I felt like today... I took a rest day apart from a half an hour of yoga and headstands, and I just felt SO drained and logy that I allowed myself to eat closer to maintenance calories. Going out tonight for NYE. Happy New Year, friends! <3

Breakfast 8:00am
    1 egg, 3 egg whites
    4.9 oz onion
    8.11 oz bro-co-li (lol)
    4 oz pineapple
    4.75 oz unsweetened almond milk
    2 x fish oil
    1 x multi

Snack 11:00am
    7.5 oz apple
    14 g almonds
    4 oz 2% cottage cheese

Lunch 2:00pm
    2 cups vegetable soup
    5 oz tilapia
    10 oz polenta
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1 T parmesan

Snack 5:15pm
    12 oz pineapple
    1 oz unsalted mixed nuts

Dinner 7:30pm
    15.8 oz cauliflower
    2.66 oz 99% turkey
    2.66 oz 93% turkey
    3 oz onion
    3oz avocado
    1/4 c bulgur
    400mg magnesium

2415 cal, 310C/159P/74F

See everyone here next year!
    --Hubert Humphrey

Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ooo Very nice. I like the hand.

I can't draw hands, feet, genitals or faces... Figure drawing was a tough class for me. I've gone back and forth between jock and artsy over the years. Had some creative focuses as a young kid, then focused more on sports even though was a bit out of shape and pudgy during them. Then high school not quite good enough or in shape enough for the sports so ended up with more academic focuses along with art classes. In college did have one class where I did some lifting as my first college, freshman year, required a physical education class. Then transferred and ended up with art being part of my major. Now I'm back to more of a jock focus with the lifting but aching to get art back in as well. I've always been okay at a lot of things though but never great at any endeavor in particular.
    Last edited by Fiction2Fitness; 12-31-2018 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

ooo Very nice. I like the hand.

I can't draw hands, feet, genitals or faces... Figure drawing was a tough class for me. I've gone back and forth between jock and artsy over the years. Had some creative focuses as a young kid, then focused more on sports even though was a bit out of shape and pudgy during them. Then high school not quite good enough or in shape enough for the sports so ended up with more academic focuses along with art classes. In college did have one class where I did some lifting as my first college, freshman year, required a physical education class. Then transferred and ended up with art being part of my major. Now I'm back to more of a jock focus with the lifting but aching to get art back in as well. I've always been okay at a lot of things though but never great at any endeavor in particular.
    I think we need to bring back the concept of the Renaissance man (or person, really). Certain cultures encourage specialization--perhaps capitalism plays a part--but being multitalented is important to being a whole person.

Really good New Year's Eve! Went out with the girlfriend to Henrietta Hudson, danced a bunch... it was super crowded so dancing was iffy, but we had fun people-watching and being with other lesbians. We also met Daniela Sea from The L Word, which was a hugely formative show to me in my youth. Of course, I watched it obsessively BEFORE realizing I was gay. In retrospect it should have been a hint. Then I got up early to watch the sunrise with my dad, so I got about... 3, 4 hours of sleep? I definitely took a nap this afternoon after that, was exhausted. But I can never miss the sunrise tradition; we've done it since I was two years old.

Lifting, however, went awesomely. I suppose because of rest and more food yesterday, I just felt really strong. I guess not having wrestled for two hours the day before really helps! Man, I guess I'd be a lot stronger if I did less BJJ. Or maybe not, idk.

Weights--1 hour
    Warmup:
    Jog 5 min
    5 x sun salutations
    Stick overpass, alter overpass, frog stretch, overhead squat
    Hurdle hops 3 hurdles 3 x 3

Hang clean 45, 55, 65, 75 x 6
    Push press 55, 65, 75, 80 x 6

Clean deadlift 95, 115, 145, 165 x 6
    Front squat 65, 85, 95, 115 x 6
    Plank :45 x 3

Bench press 65, 75, 85, 100 x 5
    Box jump 3 x 3
    Reverse crunch 3 x 20

Handstand walkouts 3 x 3
    Neutral grip pullups 6 x 1

Stretch

Front squats felt especially good, like I was really "sitting back" and driving through my heels. Felt it in glutes and hamstrings and it was easier to keep posture as well. I'm pleased.

Had breakfast out with my dad after sunrise-watching and also lunch at my parents' as they had leftovers from their dinner party the night before.

Breakfast 7:45am
    egg white omelet with broc****, tomato, spinach, mushrooms
    2 pieces whole wheat toast with 2 tsp butter
    1/2 cantaloupe
    (later, at home) 3.77 oz unsweetened almond milk in coffee

Preworkout 10:45am
    8 oz potato
    2 x fish oil
    1 x multi (didn't get these at breakfast)

Lunch/postworkout 1:30pm
    8 oz endive with about 2/3 oz walnuts
    6 oz red snapper
    6 oz cauliflower
    4 oz bro-co-li
    7 oz black-eyed peas (lucky for New Year!)

Snack/post-nap 6:30pm
    4 oz cottage cheese
    7 oz apple

Dinner 8:00pm
    2 cups vegetable soup
    3 oz onion
    2.66 oz 99% lean turkey
    2.66 oz 93% turkey
    13.5 oz polenta
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1 T parmesan
    400mg magnesium

2225 cal, 290C/162P/53F

Nutritionist tomorrow. Glad to get to check in. I'm officially ending my zero-sugar experiment and going to have a bit of birthday cake this week, but I don't feel like going crazy; I care more about my performance and energy levels and how I feel.
    --Hubert Humphrey

I think we need to bring back the concept of the Renaissance man (or person, really). Certain cultures encourage specialization--perhaps capitalism plays a part--but being multitalented is important to being a whole person.

Really good New Year's Eve! Went out with the girlfriend to Henrietta Hudson, danced a bunch... it was super crowded so dancing was iffy, but we had fun people-watching and being with other lesbians. We also met Daniela Sea from The L Word, which was a hugely formative show to me in my youth. Of course, I watched it obsessively BEFORE realizing I was gay. In retrospect it should have been a hint. Then I got up early to watch the sunrise with my dad, so I got about... 3, 4 hours of sleep? I definitely took a nap this afternoon after that, was exhausted. But I can never miss the sunrise tradition; we've done it since I was two years old.
    Makes sense to have more diverse abilities. Even in retail some lean that way in training which made sense. I actually wasn't just trained on the register but shown all areas, including almost being put in cosmetics at one point. Having a more rounded training does have some benefits compared to focusing to the point of creating limitations.

Sounds like you had a great eve and day. I have to admit, haven't made it through the L Word. I've seen parts of it but never quite get much past season 2. I started watching again on netflix but I rarely have the tv and it kinda makes me sad how downhill things go between the one couple, then add the loss of the one character... I don't do well with sad. I cry from episodes of Friends even. Still, maybe some day I'll make it through all the episodes of that and the gay male one that I'm blanking the name of at this moment. If I ever get a chance to really watch things.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

My knee feels all better! Yay rest days! And yoga.

Haha I think people who find fitness a bit later in life tend to have had artistic childhoods... whereas the jocks are just now discovering art. Who knows? I should start drawing again; I find it so calming, and I was always pretty good at life drawing and portraiture--not so great at anything that requires imagination, like illustration, but if it's front of me i can take a decent crack at it. I think that's why I didn't pursue art more. It didn't really allow for imagination in the way I was able to do it.

Art dump this is almost all from an art class I took in 2003.
    Glad your knee feels better. I messed mine up before,a nd its still stingy from time to time. Rest and stretching can really help.

That's alright if you prefer to draw from what you see. In fact it's one of the best tips for anyone looking to draw, regardless of style, medium, whatever. it's a good way to learn the foundations of how stuff looks. As long as you're enjoying it, the subject doesn't matter.
    Besides, you're really good at it! Ditto on the hand looking great, they're so globdamn hard (unless it's a super simple hand I still can't draw them without a reference). I really like the coloring too, is it pastel?

Sounds like you had a great eve and day. I have to admit, haven't made it through the L Word. I've seen parts of it but never quite get much past season 2. I started watching again on netflix but I rarely have the tv and it kinda makes me sad how downhill things go between the one couple, then add the loss of the one character... I don't do well with sad. I cry from episodes of Friends even. Still, maybe some day I'll make it through all the episodes of that and the gay male one that I'm blanking the name of at this moment. If I ever get a chance to really watch things.
    It's not a very good show, honestly. I just watched it because I was closeted and super curious about lesbianism and the sex scenes were great. The gay male one is queer as folk, from back before queer shifted meaning, I think. I haven't even tried to watch that because it's so old now. Maybe I should, idk.

Glad your knee feels better. I messed mine up before,a nd its still stingy from time to time. Rest and stretching can really help.
    Yeah, stretching has made an enormous difference for me in so many ways, movement quality, better lifting, better jiu jitsu... I now voluntarily do yoga on off days. When I was a runner I never did that.

That's alright if you prefer to draw from what you see. In fact it's one of the best tips for anyone looking to draw, regardless of style, medium, whatever. it's a good way to learn the foundations of how stuff looks. As long as you're enjoying it, the subject doesn't matter.
    Besides, you're really good at it! Ditto on the hand looking great, they're so globdamn hard (unless it's a super simple hand I still can't draw them without a reference). I really like the coloring too, is it pastel?
    The coloring is Prismacolor pencil. I like it because it allows for a higher level of precision with layering. The pencils are pretty expensive, but when I was a teenager (I did those pieces back in high school) my parents got them for me :P I think I still have some around here. Then, in college, I started doing digital art, which was less messy! Here's a piece I did in college:

Come to think of it, I CAN do art from imagination! The only reference I used for this was my own hand. Ayyyy. This was a roleplay character I used to play on a messageboard back when I did that. Oh man. Memories.

Today was a decent day. Great training. Got to stay after class and roll a little with one of the instructors who's kind of my friend. Calories and carbs are lower today as my weight was hella up from a few days of high sodium + carbs--doesn't bother me too much but I don't like carrying around that much water, plus my birthday dinner's tomorrow so I want to be really hungry for it.

BJJ--2.5 hours
    Advanced 1 gi
    RNC defense
    Note: you want to keep that bottom hand from your throat!
    1. Counterintuitive, but move your hand UP toward their other arm so your armpit blocks them, then escape out from under their arm. If you can get elbow to the floor first you're good. Then turn over and quickly come up on their legs to prevent them attacking your arms.
    2. Make a frame inside and push away, then same thing.
    3. Cup your own far ear and keep elbow relatively forward so they can't drag your arm behind for a sub. THEN slip down under their arms. If they release and try for your throat again grab that hand under your arm so you have both their hands clamped under your arms. Then feed sleeve to your far hand. Kick your far leg out of their hook. Put it back in under their nearer hook and escape your lower leg while you hold their foot in place. Escape both legs, rock back, and hop your legs over to the other side to land in side control.

5 x 6 min regular training
    Took a full minute thirty to tap a blue belt girl with a triangle. My legs were cramping afterwards!

Advanced 1 nogi
    Escape from butterfly hooks and underhooks.
    Make a frame--top hand on side their head is on pushing against face. When they push back to push forward, flatten them, grab the underhook, and smash forward on side opposite your underhook. Should land in top half and pass from there keeping the FAR side underhook and putting your head on that side, too.

8 x :30, 12 x 1:00, positional training, 2 x 5:00 regular training

After class drills
    Takedowns (ankle pick/low single, underhook to near side inside trip, snapdown, high crotch to double)
    some rolling w/ black belt instructor
    Tip: when open guard gets split, put foot on hip faster! Don't let them collapse your guard. Then transition to tripod sweep, sickle sweep, or single x.

Food

Breakfast 8:15am
    1 egg, 3 egg whites
    3.6 oz onion
    3.5 oz bro-co-li (lol)
    2.8 oz green beans
    5 oz asparagus
    4 oz pineapple
    4.13 oz unsweetened almond milk
    2 x fish oil
    1 x multi

Lunch 3:20pm
    2 cups vegetable soup
    2.66 oz 99% turkey
    2.66 oz 93% turkey
    3 oz onion
    2.5 oz avocado
    2 x wasa

Dinner 8:15pm
    15.4 oz cauliflower
    2.66 oz 99% turkey
    2.66 oz 93% turkey
    3 oz onion
    4 oz avocado
    1/4 c bulgur
    400mg magnesium

1835 cal, 207C/134P/62F

Satiety is surprisingly fine, maybe because I finally got some sleep last night.

Tomorrow is my birthday! I'm going to eat (gasp) CAKE. Low-fat cake made with whole wheat flour, but STILL CAKE. First sugar I'll have had in four months, as I try to be a bit more flexible. I'd like to lose about ten more pounds by summer, which my nutritionist says is very possible. She also recommends going more slowly and says 2200 is a good goal for me most days. I'm not sure how I feel yet. I might go back to being a bit stricter after birthday celebrations are done.
    --Hubert Humphrey

BDAY! I'm glad I ate lightly yesterday and for the first half of today because my birthday feast was epic, but still healthy, and didn't break the calorie bank. I also got this sweet mug:

very appropriate.

Food...

1 egg, 3 egg whites
    10.5 oz asparagus
    4 oz pineapple
    2.4 oz unsweetened almond milk
    2 x fish oil
    1 x multi

Lunch/postworkout 3:20pm
    2 cups vegetable soup
    2.66 oz 93% lean turkey
    2.66 oz 99% lean turkey
    3 oz onion
    2.5 oz avocado

Dinner 7:00pm
    5 oz green beans
    14 oz vegetable "lasagna" casserole with eggplant, zucchini, tomato, carrot, and a bit of parmesan
    3 oz whole wheat couscous (cooked weight)
    6 oz Chilean sea bass
    1 T teriyaki
    6 oz lettuce
    2 oz hearts of palm
    2 tsp oil and vinegar dressing
    5 oz strawberries
    1 piece chocolate cake made with half whole wheat flour and applesauce + low-fat cream cheese chocolate icing (super good tbh)
    400mg magnesium

2370 cal, 311C/153P/70F

So really not too bad all told! I feel pretty full, though. I brought home some of the vegetable casserole my mom made and also some leftover green beans, but NO cake. I'm especially pleased that I didn't feel the desire to eat more cake after having one piece. It was delicious but the same as any other food I really like. I'm glad I broke the habit of craving sweets daily. Having it on a special occasion was nice and made it taste better. It had been four whole months since I'd had any processed sugar.

I'm actually craving a return to the feeling of being in a deficit, isn't that weird? I felt great yesterday and during the early part of today, though I started to get low-glycogen/glucose logy during the afternoon waiting on dinner. After tomorrow and dinner w Rachel, it's straight back to my usual routine.

Workout was pretty good. I think I know what is up with my knee: it's bruised externally. Internally it's fine. Running is fine, jumping is fine. Landing on my knee is NOT fine and often hurts quite a bit. But it'll heal and I should be OK.

BJJ--2 hours
    Level 2 gi
    Drill 3 min back take from closed guard but they hold your under leg. So, reach across their face to their other sleeve at wrist and swing over to mount.

4 x 2:30 from closed guard and cross grip, 4 x 3:00 feet on hips and cross grip, 2 x 5 min regular
    Got arm triangle, arm bar, back takes
    Actually worked a spider guard sweep w them on knees

Advanced 1 nogi
    Just rolls
    5 x 6 min rounds
    Got RNC from gift wrap, crucifix arm bar

Pretty good training, just took two rounds off to rest/ice my knee a little and iced it after class as well. I might train an hour tomorrow before I lift or I might not. We'll see.
    --Hubert Humphrey

2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Yeah, stretching has made an enormous difference for me in so many ways, movement quality, better lifting, better jiu jitsu... I now voluntarily do yoga on off days. When I was a runner I never did that.
    I made it a goal to start stretching daily this year, though I just wrote out my goals yesterday so I'm already behind on it. lol.
    I already do it after lifting though, just need to fill in the other days.

The coloring is Prismacolor pencil. I like it because it allows for a higher level of precision with layering. The pencils are pretty expensive, but when I was a teenager (I did those pieces back in high school) my parents got them for me :P I think I still have some around here. Then, in college, I started doing digital art, which was less messy! Here's a piece I did in college:
    Holy chit, that's impressive! Teach me your masterful ways of blending!
    I used to think they were expensive, my local art store is a small business so they're a bit more pricey (I do like to support them when I can though), and their prismacolors were crazy expensive. I was a teen though, and didn't really use the internet much. Amazon has them much cheaper, even Walmart has a super affordable 12 set (some locations have the 48 set too). Right now I have a tin of 48 plus some of the not yet finished ones from my first set. Faber Castel is pretty good too, and a bit cheaper, they just don't blend quite as easily.

Love that piece, the colors are so warm and nice. I never got into digital art, I used to want to because it seemed like the most popular artists on DA always did digital (because it had to be the medium, not just that I wasn't very good at the time) lol.
    Now I just like the feel of traditional work, and don't want to bother learning digital. It's like reading, I'd prefer to have the material there, you know?

I also got this sweet mug:
    Happy Birthday!! Yay for b-day feasting, and what a perfect mug!

I'm especially pleased that I didn't feel the desire to eat more cake after having one piece.
    I've passed on even having one piece plenty of times, I've never been a big cake person. If it's one of the rare occasions I'm craving sweets, I prefer ice cream, or a not-so-cakey donut (like Dunkin vs the boxed grocery store kind).
    I get what you mean though, having something like that here and there, and really enjoying it is better than eating it for the sake of eating it. Even with chips, I'd rather enjoy a small bag once in awhile than have them frequently. You really do notice and enjoy the taste more.

I'm actually craving a return to the feeling of being in a deficit, isn't that weird?
    Not at all! At least for me I feel more disciplined, and healthy in a deficit. Like I'm "on track" so to speak. I think that's why bulks get so hard, even without much extra fluff. I just want to go back to feeling more structured, prioritizing my healthier foods (not that I have unhealthy bulks, but it's still more loose).
    Plus I feel more energetic when I'm not eating so much and so often. You'd think the extra calories would give me a ton of energy, but I think it's just the feeling of being weighed down. When you eat mostly whole foods, it's a lot of volume, and a lot in your guts all the time.

Awww thanks @Fiction2Fitness! <3

Holy chit, that's impressive! Teach me your masterful ways of blending!
    I used to think they were expensive, my local art store is a small business so they're a bit more pricey (I do like to support them when I can though), and their prismacolors were crazy expensive. I was a teen though, and didn't really use the internet much. Amazon has them much cheaper, even Walmart has a super affordable 12 set (some locations have the 48 set too). Right now I have a tin of 48 plus some of the not yet finished ones from my first set. Faber Castel is pretty good too, and a bit cheaper, they just don't blend quite as easily.
    It's pretty straightforward. You just have to learn which colors go on bottom and which go on top, which isn't always easy... play around with it on a spare sheet of paper and you'll figure it out. White goes overtop to blend all the other colors together. Beware of using true black, as it's often too harsh. A little goes a long way. Press down on the paper very very hard and use thick paper. Those are my tips.

Love that piece, the colors are so warm and nice. I never got into digital art, I used to want to because it seemed like the most popular artists on DA always did digital (because it had to be the medium, not just that I wasn't very good at the time) lol.
    Now I just like the feel of traditional work, and don't want to bother learning digital. It's like reading, I'd prefer to have the material there, you know?
    Ha, I prefer not to have the mess. I also read on a Kindle, so there you go: I suppose I've embraced technology. Nowadays regular books feel flimsy and it's annoying to crack the bindings, and I enjoy being able to read with one hand. But to each their own.

Happy Birthday!! Yay for b-day feasting, and what a perfect mug!
    LOL I know right?

I've passed on even having one piece plenty of times, I've never been a big cake person. If it's one of the rare occasions I'm craving sweets, I prefer ice cream, or a not-so-cakey donut (like Dunkin vs the boxed grocery store kind).
    I get what you mean though, having something like that here and there, and really enjoying it is better than eating it for the sake of eating it. Even with chips, I'd rather enjoy a small bag once in awhile than have them frequently. You really do notice and enjoy the taste more.
    We all have different tastes. If I may be frank, I've always felt there's something virtue-signalling when someone proclaims that they dislike a certain unhealthy food. Oneupmanship, you know? In reality all of us are susceptible to processed foods, just perhaps different kinds than others. I like cake more than I like donuts or chips, so that's what I picked, but that's just my tastes.

Not at all! At least for me I feel more disciplined, and healthy in a deficit. Like I'm "on track" so to speak. I think that's why bulks get so hard, even without much extra fluff. I just want to go back to feeling more structured, prioritizing my healthier foods (not that I have unhealthy bulks, but it's still more loose).
    Plus I feel more energetic when I'm not eating so much and so often. You'd think the extra calories would give me a ton of energy, but I think it's just the feeling of being weighed down. When you eat mostly whole foods, it's a lot of volume, and a lot in your guts all the time.
    Right. Plus when I eat too much fat I feel bad digestively and energy-wise, and when I eat too many carbs I get foggy. Carbs around workout, yes, good, but otherwise, I'm beginning to find I prefer not to go overboard.

With that in mind, food so far has been lighter. I'm having dinner with the girlfriend, but it's all healthy stuff apart from the moderately decadent dessert, a flourless chocolate cake. I don't plan to have a lot. Just a few bites, maybe an ounce and a half (she has a food scale and is very tolerant of my foibles).

Food and planned dinner...

Breakfast--9:00am
    1 egg, 3 egg whites
    7 oz green beans
    4 oz pineapple
    4.62 oz unsweetened almond milk
    2 x fish oil
    1 x multi

Preworkout snack 12:20pm
    12 oz potato

Postworkout meal/lunch 4:20pm
    2 cups vegetable soup
    3 oz onion
    2.66 oz 99% lean turkey
    2.66 oz 93% lean turkey

ETA Dinner 8:30pm
    1 oz arugula
    2.5 oz fennel
    1 tsp olive oil
    6.5 oz steak cooked sous vide then seared
    7.2 oz broc-co-li
    6.1 oz yukon gold potatoes
    1.8 oz flourless chocolate cake
    400mg magnesium

I'll come back later, probably tomorrow, and edit with quantities and final calories. I'm sleeping over tonight so probably won't be back online.

ETA I'm back! Not too bad as it turns out: 2080 cal, 228C/155P/68F

Workout today was interesting. My trainer gave me some straight up cardio to do, it was crazy. Reverse burpees and plyos and stuff. Madness!

Weights--1 hour
    Usual warm up
    (ran .67 miles in 5 min today, an average 7:30 pace tapering from 9:50 down to 6:00 for the last minute+)

High pull from blocks 65, 75, 85 3 x 2
    Pause squat bar, 65, 85 x 5 each
    Side bend 25 lb each side, 2 x side plank :45 each side

Power clean to power snatch 65 lb 3 x 3
    Jump squat 55 lb 3 x 5
    Reverse crunch 3 x 20

Twice through circuit of
    Farmer's walks (holding weight in one hand) down and back each side 35 lb
    Power skip down and back x 2
    Reverse burpee x 10 (walk out to pushup, walk back up, jump)
    20 x alternating leg jump lunge
    Slow bear crawl down and back

Pause bench 65 x 8, 75 x 8, 85 x 4 then 65 x 4, 90 x 3 then 65 x 5
    Neutral grip pullups 4 sets:
    2 regular/3 assisted
    2 regular/3 assisted
    3 singles
    3 singles

Stretch

And that's that. Pause squats are so hard. I felt kind of "off" today, likely PMS, but who knows? Could be that the workout was later in the day so the caffeine had worn off. I got some knee pads for jiu jitsu today. Back to training tomorrow, hope my knee bruise is healed some by then as I plan to do three hours. Then my friend's memorial party. :/

I was so touched by how many people wished me happy birthday this year. I'm glad to be a part of many wonderful communities, past and present, including this one.
    Last edited by shesprints; 01-05-2019 at 05:37 AM.
    --Hubert Humphrey

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Happy Birthday!! That mug is badass! Cake of peace, and piece. Sometimes foods like cake sound like such a delicious idea but I'm not used to the sugar anymore so it's shocking once I start getting down and dirty with it. LMAO this post sounds more x-rated than I intended, seriously just talking about the bakery item heehee.
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Happy Birthday!! That mug is badass! Cake of peace, and piece. Sometimes foods like cake sound like such a delicious idea but I'm not used to the sugar anymore so it's shocking once I start getting down and dirty with it. LMAO this post sounds more x-rated than I intended, seriously just talking about the bakery item heehee.
    LMAO yeah, I know what you mean, I could handle so little of the cake my gf made! It was SO PRETTY, though. LOOK AT IT.

asdflkjlkjj she's so talented

Busy day again today but I did drop calories back under 2000... I just missed the feeling of being solidly in a deficit. When I start getting looser I don't have as good a handle on when I'm truly hungry and start wanting to eat on impulse, and I just want to watch myself with that. I also want to be safe for making weight in two weeks.

Food...

1 egg, 3 egg whites
    3.8 oz onion
    4.16 oz green beans
    4 oz almond milk
    2 x fish oil
    1 x multi

Lunch/postworkout meal 2:40pm
    2 cups vegetable soup
    5.25 oz flounder
    2.5 oz avocado
    2 x wasa crackers

Snack 6:20pm
    9.8 oz potato
    4 oz 2% cottage cheese

Dinner 9:30pm
    16.16 oz cauliflower
    4 oz avocado
    5.15 oz flounder
    1/4 c bulgur
    5 oz fat free Greek yogurt
    400mg magnesium

1980 cal, 247C/140P/59F

Very good training today. The scariest instructor who I was sure didn't like me was saying nice things about me on the sideline to some of my friends, who told me about it later, and then started coaching me during my rounds!!!! THAT is an honor.

BJJ--3 hours
    Drill 55 min
    Spider guard sweep (note to pull overhead)
    Side control bridge sweep (not quite working...)
    Double leg x to baby bolo
    Redo of moves from last week's class, loop choke or back take from passing position

Open mat 1 hour
    Back takes, arm bars, etc. pretty good stuff struggling to pass half guards though
    scary instructor coached me and said I'm doing well!

Advanced 1
    Lasso sweep variation: hook lasso leg in like a butterfly hook, switch sleeve grip, get cross lapel grip with other sleeve, move to 45 degrees from them, and sweep. Use other foot inside or kicking if needed but otherwise plant it on the ground.

5 x 5 min regular rounds
    Defended RNC, lesson on side control escape (hide top elbow and quickly move in to come up on top!), got a bow and arrow choke and then a loop choke from bow and arrow escape, some arm bars, cross collar from back

Good training and a good day. Went to friend's memorial which was of course sad, but it was so good to see how many people cared for him and saw the same things in him. Then spent the rest of the day with the girlfriend. Back to work tomorrow.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Great on the training. Sounds like things are going well then. And that cake is adorable.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Great on the training. Sounds like things are going well then. And that cake is adorable.
    Things are going SO well because listen to what happened before training today:

The scary instructor came up to me before class and said "Samantha. I was watching you train yesterday. You were anticipating your opponent's moves and countering them. You're doing real jiu jitsu. Good job." I just covered my mouth with both hands and blurted out "Thank you!" a bunch of times. I was completely overwhelmed and so so happy.

Then training.

BJJ--2 hours
    Drilling 55 min
    Back take to arm bar (body lock first! Then kimura and pass arm. Then pass leg over their far shoulder to control them. THEN arm bar.)
    Back take and hold their fists instead of clapping hands. Can then cross to hold opposite fists and cross their arms so they can't move.
    Baby bolo from single x to double. Get the knee from single and twist it onward. Only after that switch feet and then pass leg over and immediately grab belt for bolo.

Advanced 1 gi
    Just rolls
    6 x 6 min rounds
    Practiced bow and arrow on obliging larger white belt, worked spider guard on white belt girl I didn't want to squash, good roll w visiting blue belt woman, managed to pass guard to s mount.

Good training putting to work some of the Danaher back stuff I want to get down. Grabbing their fists instead of lapels right away is definitely inspired. I tried it out successfully in rolls, too!

Food is back on track and wow I was feeling the deficit today, felt a bit logy and hazy for much of the day. I'll bring the potatoes back pre/post/intra/whatever workout tomorrow, I think. However, I also felt better and lighter and clearer-headed for much of the day. It was really just the afternoon after lunch that the serious foggy-headedness and feelings of depletion hit.

Breakfast 8:25am
    1 egg, 3 egg whites
    7 oz broc-co-li
    4 oz pineapple
    4.13 oz unsweetened almond milk
    2 x fish oil
    1 x multi

Lunch 2:25pm
    2 cups vegetable soup
    6 oz cod
    2.5 oz avocado
    2 x wasa crackers

Snack 5:45pm
    4 oz 2% cottage cheese
    14 oz leftover zucchini/tomato/carrot/eggplant stew
    .5 oz parmesan

Dinner 8:55pm
    7 oz broc-co-li
    16.4 oz cauliflower
    6 oz cod
    4 oz avocado
    1/4 c bulgur
    400mg magnesium

1960 cal, 231C/163P/58F

Pretty good... less than my nutritionist says but I do need to make weight in less than two weeks so I want to stay mindful of that.
    --Hubert Humphrey

oooo squee moment! Sweet.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

It's pretty straightforward. You just have to learn which colors go on bottom and which go on top, which isn't always easy... play around with it on a spare sheet of paper and you'll figure it out. White goes overtop to blend all the other colors together. Beware of using true black, as it's often too harsh. A little goes a long way. Press down on the paper very very hard and use thick paper. Those are my tips.
    This part I've only been working on for about a year and a half, two years. I watched some videos that helped with layering and mixing colors. I don't know if I've used white to blend, I know you can, but I always ended up using the colorless blender (haven't used it in awhile though, not sure why). I should give it a try though, and see how the two compare.

Ha, I prefer not to have the mess. I also read on a Kindle, so there you go: I suppose I've embraced technology. Nowadays regular books feel flimsy and it's annoying to crack the bindings, and I enjoy being able to read with one hand. But to each their own.
    Kindle's are pretty convenient though, much more portable in many case, and you have a whole library in one device. Bindings kill me with paperback books, they get cracked and ruined, and when you set it down the cover doesn't sit flat anymore. Hardcovers are better in that regard, but they're pricier, and even less portable.

We all have different tastes. If I may be frank, I've always felt there's something virtue-signalling when someone proclaims that they dislike a certain unhealthy food. Oneupmanship, you know? In reality all of us are susceptible to processed foods, just perhaps different kinds than others. I like cake more than I like donuts or chips, so that's what I picked, but that's just my tastes.
    Whoops, I can see what you mean, and I see how my comment could come off that way. I just mean cake's not my favorite unhealthy food, I'm a huge salty snack fan. When I was struggling with my weight, I could just mindlessly snack on a full sized bag of chips until there was nothing.

Right. Plus when I eat too much fat I feel bad digestively and energy-wise, and when I eat too many carbs I get foggy. Carbs around workout, yes, good, but otherwise, I'm beginning to find I prefer not to go overboard.
    I'm not sure I've noticed a big difference when my macros change, as long as my fat's not super low I tend to be alright. I notice a difference in satiety, as I think a lot of people do, but that's about it. Then again, most of what I need energy for is lifting, if I was as active as you are (or even half as active lol), I'd probably notice a bigger difference in how stuff like fats and carbs effect my energy levels.
    LMAO yeah, I know what you mean, I could handle so little of the cake my gf made! It was SO PRETTY, though. LOOK AT IT.
    That's really impressive! True fact: the prettier a food looks, the better it tastes.

Very good training today. The scariest instructor who I was sure didn't like me was saying nice things about me on the sideline to some of my friends, who told me about it later, and then started coaching me during my rounds!!!! THAT is an honor.
    That's so awesome! Congrats!

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Happy birthday (belated)!
    Sounds like the Jujitsu is going well if you are starting to anticipate moves and counter them, that's where its at! my daughter is taking a belt exam on Thursday. My son could have tested for his first (kids) belt promotion too, but he said he wasn't ready (He's a perfectionist and probably wants to do the moves they have to do on the exam perfectly). Ive been sick AF since NYE - not much fun.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel the need to get back to deficit calories. I get that too its way to easy to let increases start getting away. I can easily way overshoot my maintenance, being hungry occasionally keeps me on point so I'm not just thoughtlessly eating.

Hope all is well. I'm taking a break from journaling. Still tracking my foods and training though....

oooo squee moment! Sweet.
    INORITE? I was so surprised and happy.

This part I've only been working on for about a year and a half, two years. I watched some videos that helped with layering and mixing colors. I don't know if I've used white to blend, I know you can, but I always ended up using the colorless blender (haven't used it in awhile though, not sure why). I should give it a try though, and see how the two compare.
    Why not? I don't know why I always liked it, maybe because it softened the tones and gave them a more "pastel" feeling, which I enjoy. As long as you stick to blending darker colors with lighter ones, in general, you should be fine. You're making me want to get back to Prismacolors.

Whoops, I can see what you mean, and I see how my comment could come off that way. I just mean cake's not my favorite unhealthy food, I'm a huge salty snack fan. When I was struggling with my weight, I could just mindlessly snack on a full sized bag of chips until there was nothing.
    I don't think you meant it that way at all. We're conditioned to talk that way in our culture about foods we know are unhealthy.

I'm not sure I've noticed a big difference when my macros change, as long as my fat's not super low I tend to be alright. I notice a difference in satiety, as I think a lot of people do, but that's about it. Then again, most of what I need energy for is lifting, if I was as active as you are (or even half as active lol), I'd probably notice a bigger difference in how stuff like fats and carbs effect my energy levels.
    An unfortunate and odd side effect of exercising so much is that yes, I have higher calorie needs, but also: I am still hungry a lot and I have to pay extra attention to balancing my macros and such. An odd irony. I could easily lose weight, some of it muscle, by simply exercising less and eating less, but I don't want that. Now I seriously see the challenge bodybuilders face.

That's really impressive! True fact: the prettier a food looks, the better it tastes.

That's so awesome! Congrats!
    It has indeed been a great year for me both socially and in terms of girlfriend-ness and also in BJJ. Lots of positive reinforcement and a lot of people who think well of me. It's amazing how that feels and how it pushes me to keep improving.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Happy birthday (belated)!
    Sounds like the Jujitsu is going well if you are starting to anticipate moves and counter them, that's where its at! my daughter is taking a belt exam on Thursday. My son could have tested for his first (kids) belt promotion too, but he said he wasn't ready (He's a perfectionist and probably wants to do the moves they have to do on the exam perfectly). Ive been sick AF since NYE - not much fun.
    Thank you! <3 and thanks for stopping by. I'm sorry you're sick. Almost everyone I know was a couple of weeks back; I suppose it's the season. I hope you feel better soon. I also empathize with your son and his perfectionism, as a perfectionst myself when I was younger. I see it in my students, too.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you feel the need to get back to deficit calories. I get that too its way to easy to let increases start getting away. I can easily way overshoot my maintenance, being hungry occasionally keeps me on point so I'm not just thoughtlessly eating.
    Yeah, I was thinking of you while I was considering what to do next, actually. Back on a deficit now, though I'm not going to go much below 2000 anymore as I do feel the serious low energy from that. Still, I seem to feel low energy from excessive carbs as well now that I've tried it... there's a balance, I think, a sweep spot close to 250 a day for me when I'm working out hard. Timing them around workouts seems important, too. I'm bringing back my potatoes.

Hope all is well. I'm taking a break from journaling. Still tracking my foods and training though....
    Of course you are, lol. I might do the same with my food tracking and just put down cals and macros... the meals themselves are basically identical. In fact, let's do that today because f*ck it.

FOOD OVERVIEW: 1995 cal, 251C/154P/55F

Really low-energy today, was going to end at 1825 but had a bit of cottage cheese, tomato, and wasa crackers as a bedtime snack. Whew.

Probably because... intense training today and feeling a bit burnt out. Tweaked my neck a little too. No hard rolls tomorrow, just lifting and then wrestling class (which has no live training, only drills).

BJJ--2 hours
    Level 2 nogi
    Drills:
    1. Passing from butterfly hook elevation. Cross feet to disable their hooks and come down to one side. Get the head control and far underhook. Switch hips so that your hips face the same way theirs are and kick lower leg forward to escape their hook and land in side control.
    2. Passing from top side control. Make sure to put your weight on their lower leg as if they can elevate it they can take full guard.

Many rounds of positional training and one five-minute round. Took mount but couldn't finish.

Advanced 1 gi
    Triangle defense. Posture UP UP UP, elbow blocking hip, hold same side gi and if they break your grip grab it with other hand and feed it back. Keep weight back and knee blocking their hip from rotating out and into triangle finish. Swat away their hand if they try to grab your head while posturing up, put both hands on their stomach, posture UP and pass.

Many short positional rounds, 4 x 5 min regular training. Got bolo from a crazy scramble and took back, grabbed opposite-side fists and wrapped up my partner, then finished with a short choke. Very pleased to use everything I had recently practiced. Also worked with a brown belt who helped me get arm triangle by noting that I could grab the arm that is framing me from side control and quickly plant my head on the floor so they can't get the arm back. Good tip.

One of those days when I felt like I just kept getting banged up. It happens.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Why not? I don't know why I always liked it, maybe because it softened the tones and gave them a more "pastel" feeling, which I enjoy. As long as you stick to blending darker colors with lighter ones, in general, you should be fine. You're making me want to get back to Prismacolors.
    Wasn't intentional, I just forgot about it since I had a blender stick, but at the time I heard that tip I was pretty bad at working with colors as a whole. Hell, I'm pretty sure I was still borrowing my friend's prisma's at the time (we were in high school, she was a real saint for letting me use them once in awhile).
    We're conditioned to talk that way in our culture about foods we know are unhealthy.
    True. I try to use "junk" food in quotes, because I don't like the whole idea of "clean/healthy" food versus "junk/unhealthy" foods. I prefer to think of it simply as foods you eat often, and foods you moderate more. A slice of cake or stack of chips can be healthy even if they aren't health foods.
    Probably because... intense training today and feeling a bit burnt out. Tweaked my neck a little too. No hard rolls tomorrow, just lifting and then wrestling class (which has no live training, only drills).
    Ouch! I hate neck tweaks so much, every time I think one is healed up I turn my head too much and it flares up again. Hope it feels better quickly.

That is the cake of all cakes, I love it! Are those RASPBERRIES too?! Wow she went all out, she's a good one OP.
    Current PRs:

Ouch! I hate neck tweaks so much, every time I think one is healed up I turn my head too much and it flares up again. Hope it feels better quickly.
    I took today off jiu jitsu and just lifted. I also rolled out on a lacrosse ball and that helps, plus stretched some.

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    That is the cake of all cakes, I love it! Are those RASPBERRIES too?! Wow she went all out, she's a good one OP.
    Yup, raspberries! I know, right??? She's the best. I don't know what I did to deserve her but I'm very happy that she seems to think I do.

Not much to say... super hungry and drained and felt like I was under water today. How did I feel like this for the last few months and survive? I decided to eat closer to my nutritionist's recommended 2200 today.

Food: 2150 cal, 260C/174P/59F

Lifting went well, actually really happy with overhead squats and how much more balanced and stable they feel. I also feel like lifting helped loosen me up.

Weights--1 hour
    Usual warmup

Overhead squat 40, 50, 60, 70, 77.5 x 5
    Extended arm oblique hold :45 seconds each side x 4
    Power snatch 35 3 x 5

Push jerk in split 65, 65, 70, 65, 65, 70 x 3
    Halting snatch deadlift 130, 140, 130, 140, 140, 150 x 3

Snatch balance 50, 45, 45, 50 x 4
    Assisted pullups 4 x 8 (1st set 6 @ 40 lb, 2 @ 55, next 3 @ 50 due to back tweak)
    Superset with core:
    Toe touch 3 x 20, reverse crunch 3 x 20, plank 3 x :45

Stretch and foam roll

Hoping I can get some decent sleep again tonight. I want training tomorrow to go well.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Real quick today just the basics. Busy w/ work, date w/ Rachel, training. Super sore and tired.

BJJ--2 hours
    Advanced 1 gi
    Drill 3 min single x, 3 min single x to double x to baby bolo
    5 x 7 min training
    Beat up some newer white belts
    Finally got collar choke from mount!!!!!
    Note from Paul: fall toward their legs with arm bar not toward their head.

Advanced 1 nogi
    Closed guard w partner locking down hips
    Scissor legs hard and frame to turn sideways to escape
    Then same but hook their calves from outside and flatten them, grab under their arms and butterfly hook to sweep
    20 x 30 second live rounds from closed guard to escape
    4 x 6 min live
    Some arm bars and back takes, one guillotine, two arm triangles
    Used butterfly hooks a lot

Pretty good training. It was neat to roll with some newer white belts (6 months versus my 1 year, I believe) because I was like "this is how I was? oh yeah... wow I've improved a lot!"

Food was the same as usual, steak for lunch with my vegetable soup, dinner the usual. Breakfast is always the same. Potatoes preworkout!

2020 cal, 232C/165P/57F

Decent, craving that protein lately.
    --Hubert Humphrey

Still getting back in the swing of things, tired. Felt more satiated today as I only lifted... I think I really needed the BJJ break.

2040 cal, 245C/167P/51F today, extra protein as I had a bit of arctic char as well as steak at dinner at my parents' (it was so good). Meat is one of the most satiating foods for me.

Workout was decent, not too high-key as I was VERY depleted and sore, but squats feel easier and easier and I was really getting speed out of the hole as well as better form! I'll video a set soon.

Regular warmup
    Right side up and upside down bosu overhead squat
    Band lat pull down w hold 2 x 10

Single leg sideways box step ups and down 3 x 10 each
    Pistol to bench 3 x 8 each leg
    2 x 250m row
    Bent over row 55, 65 x 15 each

Squat 95, 115, 135, 145, 155 x 6
    Incline DB press both arms x 1, each arm x 1, both x 2, each x 2, etc. First set got to 4, next 5 double arm 2 single, last set same
    2 x 1 min plank on two bosu balls first both upside down second 1 right side up second upside down
    2 x 20 second quadraped balance on Swiss ball

Stretch

whew okay later guys
    --Hubert Humphrey