Fleshpound has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is this going to work?

I'm a 17 year old, 6'4 male.

I'm not fat by any means, but I am slightly over what I wish to be (I intend to be slim - "average").

A typical daily food intake for me would be:

2x bag of crisps
    4x biscuits
    1x hot chocolate
    1x relatively unhealthy meal (pizza, chips/pasty etc.)

I have started completely cutting out all snacks, I no longer eat crisps, biscuits, hot chocolate or anything unhealthy in terms of meals.
    The kind of meals I have been eating are pasta meals, rice meals, just generally healthier than what I was eating before.

Not only that, but I have started eating a lot of fruit (I would NEVER have any before), specifically about 5 a day. The fruits consist of bananas, strawberries, pears, kiwis, mango and papaya.
    These fruit intakes are randomly between meals, is that alright to do?

I also am going to start doing a brisk walk around my local area for about 10 minutes daily.

Other than that, I don't intend to do any exercise, am I able to lose weight by doing this?

Am I doing anything which I shouldn't be? Comments on how effective this will be?

Thanks in advance.

truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Fleshpound View Post
    I'm a 17 year old, 6'4 male.

I'm not fat by any means, but I am slightly over what I wish to be (I intend to be slim - "average").

A typical daily food intake for me would be:

2x bag of crisps
    4x biscuits
    1x hot chocolate
    1x relatively unhealthy meal (pizza, chips/pasty etc.)

I have started completely cutting out all snacks, I no longer eat crisps, biscuits, hot chocolate or anything unhealthy in terms of meals.
    The kind of meals I have been eating are pasta meals, rice meals, just generally healthier than what I was eating before.

Not only that, but I have started eating a lot of fruit (I would NEVER have any before), specifically about 5 a day. The fruits consist of bananas, strawberries, pears, kiwis, mango and papaya.
    These fruit intakes are randomly between meals, is that alright to do?

I also am going to start doing a brisk walk around my local area for about 10 minutes daily.

Other than that, I don't intend to do any exercise, am I able to lose weight by doing this?

Am I doing anything which I shouldn't be? Comments on how effective this will be?

Thanks in advance.
    Please oh please just read the stickies. Then read them again and again and again. Learn it, know it, live it. The answers you seek will hopefully become self evident. Learning about and controlling your diet should be your first priority. When asking questions, people need specifics. For example, your weight, your TDEE, what you are eating EXACTLY. Not the specific foods but the number of calories. Though you provided some specifics, without the other information its just noise.

I'm happy you've started the process and you should be proud of yourself for coming this far.

Originally Posted by truushot View Post
    Please oh please just read the stickies. Then read them again and again and again. Learn it, know it, live it. The answers you seek will hopefully become self evident. Learning about and controlling your diet should be your first priority. When asking questions, people need specifics. For example, your weight, your TDEE, what you are eating EXACTLY. Not the specific foods but the number of calories. Though you provided some specifics, without the other information its just noise.

I'm happy you've started the process and you should be proud of yourself for coming this far.
    I have taken a look at the stickies, sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    I'm fully aware of those ways the website recommends to lose weight. But losing weight is all about finding something that works for yourself, and this is working for me in terms of lifestyle, but I was just wondering some opinions on whether or not it will be effective.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    First, you need to focus on calories and macros, get that in place first. How much you burn, how much you eat. Then with respect to particular foods, don't judge them based on a vague perception of "healthy" or not, do it based on how they fit in your plan for calories and macros, how much you enjoy them, and how satisfied they make you feel. This criteria will steer you towards healthy foods in a good way.

1. Get rid of your misconceptions
    2. Calculate your calories and macros
    3. Eat about 20% less calories than you burn each day while still meeting minimum protein and fat. Get the remainder of cals from carbs.
    4. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that goes in your pie hole.
    5. Count calories using a site like MyFitnessPal. Count 'em like an accountant with OCD.
    6. Lift heavy weights to preserve muscle mass, on a program like Starting Strength
    7. If nothing happens after 3 weeks, reexamine calculations, and eat less.

And just out of curiosity, post a picture of yourself. You got skinny fat written all over you

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    First, you need to focus on calories and macros, get that in place first. How much you burn, how much you eat. Then with respect to particular foods, don't judge them based on a vague perception of "healthy" or not, do it based on how they fit in your plan for calories and macros, how much you enjoy them, and how satisfied they make you feel. This criteria will steer you towards healthy foods in a good way.

And just out of curiosity, post a picture of yourself. You got skinny fat written all over you
    Thanks for your tips, I will be reading through that long list of threads gradually xD

The purpose of this thread was more-so me just wondering if what I said I was doing is going to achieve anything? (no unhealthy snacks, eating a lot of fruit, daily 20 minute brisk walk)

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for your tips, I will be reading through that long list of threads gradually xD

The purpose of this thread was more-so me just wondering if what I said I was doing is going to achieve anything? (no unhealthy snacks, eating a lot of fruit, daily 20 minute brisk walk)
    It's not going to hurt, but understand that without doing the math, it's very easy to gain fat by eating too many "healthy" foods. It's also very easy to out-eat exercise.

truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500) truushot is not very helpful. (-500)

10 minutes of walking will do little to nothing for weight loss. Its mostly about diet. You need to get your TDEE figured out and eat less then that number. Its great that you are eating healthy but you can gain weight eating healthy as well. Fruit, while tasty and good for you, generally pack quite a few calories.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    It's not going to hurt, but understand that without doing the math, it's very easy to gain fat by eating too many "healthy" foods. It's also very easy to out-eat exercise.
    Originally Posted by truushot View Post
    10 minutes of walking will do little to nothing for weight loss. Its mostly about diet. You need to get your TDEE figured out and eat less then that number. Its great that you are eating healthy but you can gain weight eating healthy as well. Fruit, while tasty and good for you, generally pack quite a few calories.
    Thanks for the information. I can't go through all the hassle of calculating exactly how much calories I intake daily etc. due to eating out at college often (even if it's something such as a sandwich from their shop), so calculating my total intake seems like a bit too much hassle. I guess the best way to ensure losing weight whilst eating what seems to be a 'healthy' diet is to go to the gym a few times a week.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Go out tonight and have a few beers and forget about this nonsense.

Come back when you're serious. Until then, this is all a waste of time.

I mean really... it is a hassle.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

Thanks for the information. I can't go through all the hassle of calculating exactly how much calories I intake daily etc. due to eating out at college often (even if it's something such as a sandwich from their shop), so calculating my total intake seems like a bit too much hassle. I guess the best way to ensure losing weight whilst eating what seems to be a 'healthy' diet is to go to the gym a few times a week.
    The chances of you succeeding without accurately counting your calories is slim and none. And slim left town. The gym's great but if you are out eating and drinking like a normal college guy you will gain weight.