liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liftinglady1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Unhappy Accidentally Overdeveloped My Back

I’m not really sure how posting on here works, but I have a question/problem. I am a 20 year old female, and think I have managed to overdevelop my back; not in a sexy way, but so it is too broad for my liking. Tank tops dig in for an unattractive look. It’s not fat, as I am fairly lean. I am not sure what to do because I have become very self conscious of this look. How can I lose muscle from that area but continue to build my lower body? Help and tips much appreciated!

I can post photos later if need be.

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

Just some initial thoughts from a non-expert…

1) You might be worrying too much. You might find most people think you look fine.

2) There isn’t much of a mystery to losing muscle. Just keep working out the parts you want to develop and stop working out the parts you think are overdeveloped.

I hope you will get some better advice from trainers on the board.

Best wishes.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    Just some initial thoughts from a non-expert…

1) You might be worrying too much. You might find most people think you look fine.

2) There isn’t much of a mystery to losing muscle. Just keep working out the parts you want to develop and stop working out the parts you think are overdeveloped.

I hope you will get some better advice from trainers on the board.

Best wishes.
    Pretty much all of this.

At 20 years old I would find it very hard to believe that you've had time to overdevelop anything. It would typically take years for something like this to occur, so definitely not accidentally or overnight. What you think is an "overdeveloped back" might just be the genetic hand you've been dealt. But we are our own worst critics, so I would post pics if you would like others to weigh in on this.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only times I've had a shirt be too tight was when they were Euro or Asian sizing.

One of two things may be occurring; you actually have too much muscle (a problem almost no one has) or the shirt is simply the wrong size.
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InPhase has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Buy a better fitting tank top.

Highly unlikely you have gained muscle enough to look like you have a big back.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can't say I've ever seen an overdeveloped back, male or female. Post a picture.

For what it's worth, many men find a woman with a well developed back to be very attractive. My wife's back is one of many features about her that I am really into.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by liftinglady1 View Post
    I’m not really sure how posting on here works, but I have a question/problem. I am a 20 year old female, and think I have managed to overdevelop my back; not in a sexy way, but so it is too broad for my liking. Tank tops dig in for an unattractive look. It’s not fat, as I am fairly lean. I am not sure what to do because I have become very self conscious of this look. How can I lose muscle from that area but continue to build my lower body? Help and tips much appreciated!

I can post photos later if need be.

If you stop doing exercises for that muscle group, you will lose muscles in time.
    There isn't any other {healthy} solution: a muscle gets smaller if you don't train it for a longer period.
    Most probably, it's your upper lats, not your entire back.
    No vertical pulls (pulldowns), no supinated rows, you could only do a row that emphasizes more the rhomboids and middle traps (the heart of the back)

If you want to build your lower body more {like most women would, except pro bb and pw, but those are mental diseases for most of them - btw, my rants are not free anymore, they go from 25$ and up}, emphasize it more and work your lower body in the beginning of the workout, when you are fresh.
    You could do full body and always start with lower.

Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    I can't say I've ever seen an overdeveloped back, male or female.
    Seriously? You've never seen a Mr/Mrs Olympia photo?

For females, I have seen, in the gym.
    One was a PED user, but still, the lack of symmetry... yucks.
    I like to learn from the mistakes of the people who take my advice.

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jaxqen View Post
    Seriously? You've never seen a Mr/Mrs Olympia photo?

For females, I have seen, in the gym.
    One was a PED user, but still, the lack of symmetry... yucks.
    I'm speaking from a general training standpoint of naturals, not top tier bodybuilding. Even then I would say in many cases it's not overdeveloped compared to the rest of the physique. Most folks undertrain back because they can't see it in the mirror and need more back work in my personal opinion.

jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jaxqen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GrouchyUSMC View Post
    I'm speaking from a general training standpoint of naturals, not top tier bodybuilding.

Even then I would say in many cases it's not overdeveloped compared to the rest of the physique.

Most folks undertrain back because they can't see it in the mirror and need more back work in my personal opinion.
    Agree, then!

Yeah, everything is overdeveloped when it comes to Open Olympia, imo.

I agree.
    For women {except bb}, unlike men, a v-taper/too much width {upper lats} is not desirable.
    Back thickness is even harder to achieve and probably should be more desirable, for both women and men.

Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chesticles2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In my small opinion. This doesn't sound like a physical issue but more so a psychological and genetic issue. If your shoulder blades naturally sit wider than any amount of growth will not give you the look you want. The sooner this is accepted, the sooner life will get better for you. Everyone on planet earth is beautiful
    =[][][]=== B I G xxx P O P P A xxx P U M P ===[][][]=

If The Bar Aint Bendin, Your Just Pretendin

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sorry to say but Pics or it didn't happen.

Seems to be the girl version of lads claiming they don't need to train legs because they get too big from jogging.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I certainly think you can overdevelop your back (proportionally speaking), just don't think someone would do it "accidentally" and if someone did, they wouldn't be asking how to stop growing it while continuing to develop their lower body. Gotta assume OP is a troll.

Originally Posted by Chesticles2 View Post
    Everyone on planet earth is beautiful