Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

[Review] Titan Fitness Plate Loadable Lat Tower V2: Electric Boogaloo

Is cheapness an asset or deterrent? Find out next time on...

Here's two picture for those of you who are illiterate:

Crap no one cares about.

Link: https://www.titan.fitness/strength/s...v2/400895.html

Shipping: “FREE” FedEx Ground
    Shipped from Northern Mississippi. The package took longer than expected to leave the shipping facility, but considering this piece shipped around the time of Black Friday, issues are expected to arise. This is not an issue for me, but be aware if your local FedEx shipper is of low quality, you’re in for a fun time.

Price: $409.99 (as of this review)

Customer Service: N/A
    I did not need to contact Titan as there was only one minor issue (see rest of review).

Packaging:
    Surprisingly better than the impression I’ve been given through feedback from other lifters years ago. Is the quality the highest? Absolutely not, but there was no damage to any of the metal pieces. As for some of the plastic pieces, they did suffer damage. Please see below.

Specs:
    According to Titan:

Details
    FEATURES:
    - Dual 13-inch weight posts fit Olympic weight plates
    - Four adjustable positions for the thigh pads will fit athletes of all body types
    - A durable steel frame and powder-coated paint job deliver a sleek look that will last for years to come
    - Four Bolt down holes give you the option for permanent mounting in your home or garage gym
    - Includes lat bar and low row handle

SPECIFICATIONS:
    - Overall Height: 84-in.
    - Overall Depth: 56.5-in.
    - Overall Width: 48-in.
    - Loadable Sleeve Length: 13-in. (Actually 13-5/8")
    - Lat Handle Length: 37.5-in.
    - Low Row Handle Length: 15-in. (Actually 15-1/4")
    POINTS OF INTEREST:
    New in the version 2 is an additional reinforcement brace, between the seat and the main upright, to increase overall stability.

Assembly:

Having a 9' ceiling has it’s perks, especially when assembling a lat pulldown that is 7' tall. An hour is all you need to put the unit together. Titan does not include instructions, but refers you to it’s website for instructions. If your room 8', don’t be intimidated. Just take more time installing the rods and spare your ceiling any damage.

The hardware package was missing a washer, but fortunately, I had spares. A friend of mine also bought the same lat pulldown and did not miss any washers, screws, etc. I chalk this up to bad luck on my part.

By far, the most "difficult" portion to complete for those with 8' ceilings or lower is screwing in the rods to the top bracket as there will be very low clearance.
    Last edited by Synthetickiller; 12-25-2020 at 05:14 PM.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Functionality:

A few key points:
    • The seat is large enough for most people.
    • Being 7' tall makes that those with very long arms (tall individuals in general) will find this unit to be too short for their needs. For reference, I’m 5'9" with a 0 ape index (wing span is 5'9") and I almost max out the unit. I do have a long torso and comparitively, two of my friends who lifts who are about 6' almost max out their units.
    • While the knee pads / rollers are adjustable, the height of the seat is not. This is normal for all but the highest end lat pulldown machines. This option is really not applicable for the price category we are in.

Lowest Roller Position:

Highest Roller Position:

Using the machine:

There are 3 important “issues” with the machine:
    • First, you must lubricate the rods and pulleyes or any of the pulling movements will be jerky. Make sure to pick up some white lithium grease on hand is very helpful. Lubricate both the rods & pulleys.
    • Second, the knee pads are barely adjustable, with a height of 23-1/2" to 20-1/4" from the floor. At least they aren’t fixed like the seat. The top of the seat seat is 16-3/4" from the floor.
    • Thirdly, around 190 lbs loaded onto the horns resulted in higher levels of friction and not so smooth travel for the weight horn. This might fix itself after using the unit more or further lubricating everything.

The eyelet on the end of the cable has a ~10.85mm hole. The carabiner supplied has a diameter of ~7.3mm. The hole will accept my ~10mm thick carabiners without issue. This is great for general overall use. My accessories will work with either sized carabiner.

Eyelet shown with larger than included carabiner:

Standard carabiner shown with "non standard" attachment.

The weight horn is actually longer than advertise (be it only ½"). I haven’t found a plate that will not fit on it, including my calibrated Ivankos powerlifting plates.

No one should have compatibility problems with standard olympic plates or attachments.

Other pictures:

Damage to plastic:

Scoring:

Build Quality: 40%

This is a Titan Product. It’s a $410 (shipped product) lat pulldown. This context matters. There were cracked plastic pieces. While this didn’t effect using the unit, they are of lower build quality. You can’t load one 45 pound plate per side like on heavier duty units, say, from Prime Fitness. Is this a problem? No, but it does force the lifter to think in terms of two 25 lb plates instead of a single 45. It’s minor but worth noting. The toss up is providing a higher quality unit at a greater expense to the customer.

The hand grips on the two include bars do slide a lot after use. A little bit of glue could have fixed this issue, but again, it’s not a problem.

As a cheap unit, I’d give Titan 8.5/10 (34 points)

I removed half a point for the cracked plastic and the missing washer. Smoothness (or lack thereof) of travel at higher weights approaching & exceeding 200 pounds results in another half point off. The third half point is for the plastic pulley wheels. As of using this unit for several weeks, they have held up, but long term, I’m unsure if they will eventually wear unevenly, so another half point off. I will update this review in 2021 to see how the unit is holding up.

General functionality: 30%

As a lat pulldown/low row unit, itt just works. I can use all of my accessories without issue with the included carabiners. You can even bolt the unit down to the floor, if necessary. The unit works as advertised.

10/10 (30 points)

Value: 30%

Titan has literally has no competition at this price point and the quality is impressively high for such a cheap lat pulldown.

11/10 (33 points)

The extra point is due to the uncharacteristically high quality for basically the lowest priced item in a category.

Summary

I cannot believe I’m giving a product from Titan product a 97/100. For anyone needing a standard 84" high lat pulldown with weight horns instead of a weight stack, this is unbeatable for the price and overall quality. The minor issues with this unit can & should be overlooked. This is the best lat pulldown on the market for a beginner or budget conscious lifter.

Please post any questions & I'll be happy to follow up!
    Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays everyone!

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    All of my commercial equipment has plastic pulleys, so that in itself wouldn't concern me. It will only be an issue if the pulleys are of poor quality. At least they have bearings unlike the chit universal gyms from Marcy, Weider, etc. that just have a bolt going through a bearing-less plastic pulley.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I have the same one and it woks great for me, but I am only 5'7". Doing one-armed pulldowns I pretty much hit the top even when trying to adjust the chain so it's as high as possible. Just want to emphasize this for anyone who may miss it in the full review.

I actually bought this thinking it would eventually be replaced with something better but as long as it holds up I'll keep using it.
    My 100% free website: healthierwithscience.com
    My YouTube channel: youtube.com/@benjaminlevinsonmd17

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Very detailed and nice review.

alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great Review. Im thinking's of buying POWERTEC lat machine in future so wanted to know your opinion or anyone else how would this unit compare to Powertec.
    I know Powertec cost more so wondering is It worth paying extra for Powertec or should just save money and go with titan.
    Thank you

Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mxchino has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by alen129 View Post
    Great Review. Im thinking's of buying POWERTEC lat machine in future so wanted to know your opinion or anyone else how would this unit compare to Powertec.
    I know Powertec cost more so wondering is It worth paying extra for Powertec or should just save money and go with titan.
    Thank you
    I would save and get the titan lat tower with 300lb stack.

urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) urbanlifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome review, very detailed as usual! I've had a bunch of lat pulldown machines over the years and I'm starting to really favor the plate loaded ones. Typically shorter, compact size, easy to move around, and even the cheaper ones like the Body-Solid Pro get the job done well enough. Had been wondering what Titan's unit was like, thanks!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by Duplicitous View Post
    All of my commercial equipment has plastic pulleys, so that in itself wouldn't concern me. It will only be an issue if the pulleys are of poor quality. At least they have bearings unlike the chit universal gyms from Marcy, Weider, etc. that just have a bolt going through a bearing-less plastic pulley.
    I agree. Applying white lithium grease every other month or so should be fine.

Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    Very detailed and nice review.
    Thanks man. It was more of a quick & dirty job. Not terribly much I can comment on considering it's a $400 pulldown.

Originally Posted by alen129 View Post
    Thank you
    Originally Posted by Mxchino View Post
    I would save and get the titan lat tower with 300lb stack.
    I agree alen, 100%. From what people have said, get the titan lat tower w/ the weight stack.
    I originally wanted the 300 lb weight stack version. At the time, I didn't even have the option to order it, plus it was 3x the price. I'm not sure if, by the time I want/need to upgrade, I'll want something higher end than Titan. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Originally Posted by Heisman2 View Post
    I have the same one and it woks great for me, but I am only 5'7". Doing one-armed pulldowns I pretty much hit the top even when trying to adjust the chain so it's as high as possible. Just want to emphasize this for anyone who may miss it in the full review.

I actually bought this thinking it would eventually be replaced with something better but as long as it holds up I'll keep using it.
    Thanks for reconfirming this.

Originally Posted by urbanlifter View Post
    Awesome review, very detailed as usual! I've had a bunch of lat pulldown machines over the years and I'm starting to really favor the plate loaded ones. Typically shorter, compact size, easy to move around, and even the cheaper ones like the Body-Solid Pro get the job done well enough. Had been wondering what Titan's unit was like, thanks!
    Thanks for the kind words.

I've been using it a few weeks & it's been a real pleasure to be able to work my back without burning out my lower back.
    I'm seriously happy with the purchase & don't have any buyer's remorse. It's what I wanted for the price and what I actually needed to work my back properly. Writing this review made me think of all the negatives & the argument "what do you expect for $400?" kept coming up. I can't see needing an upgrade or breaking this unit any time soon.

alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10) alen129 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you guys. I actually don't remember seeing one with 300lb stack. it looks nice I was only searching plate loaded one before. Ill definitely do my research now on titan with 300lb stack. thank you again.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Synthetikiller, I always enjoy your reviews, plenty of detail and very honest.

It never ceases to amaze me how Titan can manufacture, box and ship equipment at these prices.

If it were mine I think I'd probably swap out the pulleys for a nylon reinforced version, with a centre bearing, also, I find a Teflon based lubricant works better on guide
    rods/posts, but you do have to apply it more regularly than lithium grease, I just find grease tends to attract small amounts of dust, of course it may just be in my head and it might not affect the lubricating properties at all.

vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    SK, detailed and meaningful review as always. Not to hijack the thread, which one would be the best combo to have. Preference is plate loaded machines but exception can be made for FTX.

1. Lat pull down and FT ( Inspire FTX new unless can find commercial one on used market)

2. Lat pull down and cable cross over

3. Lat pull down and dual cable column (Preferably plate loaded and Rack attached from Williams strength).

Already have BS GLM 83 lat pull down with low row, probably the oldest machine in my gym ( at least 7 years old)
    [M]===[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #35 ▪[M]===[6]

[]------[] York Barbell Club #80 (DD)[]-----[]

RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good to hear about the lat tower, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the plate loaded pulley tower. The movement does not feel smooth. I'm not sure if the issue is the pulleys, weight post/rail(square tube va round rails on lat tower) or both. Heavier lifts seem ok, but things like a single arm bicep curl or tricep extension seem problematic. I bought this for accessory work.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/s...v3/400810.html
    Last edited by RGrizzzz; 12-28-2020 at 07:19 PM.
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    Synthetikiller, I always enjoy your reviews, plenty of detail and very honest.

It never ceases to amaze me how Titan can manufacture, box and ship equipment at these prices.

If it were mine I think I'd probably swap out the pulleys for a nylon reinforced version, with a centre bearing, also, I find a Teflon based lubricant works better on guide
    rods/posts, but you do have to apply it more regularly than lithium grease, I just find grease tends to attract small amounts of dust, of course it may just be in my head and it might not affect the lubricating properties at all.
    Thanks!

I will try out the teflon based lubricant.

The rollers do have ball bearings. I can take one off and post some pics.

Originally Posted by vhd16 View Post
    SK, detailed and meaningful review as always. Not to hijack the thread, which one would be the best combo to have. Preference is plate loaded machines but exception can be made for FTX.

1. Lat pull down and FT ( Inspire FTX new unless can find commercial one on used market)

2. Lat pull down and cable cross over

3. Lat pull down and dual cable column (Preferably plate loaded and Rack attached from Williams strength).

Already have BS GLM 83 lat pull down with low row, probably the oldest machine in my gym ( at least 7 years old)
    Thanks man!

I wish I had the space to justify a second pulley system. I'd bet the guys here would push for the functional trainer, but someone prove me wrong.
    The "right" answer (I use that term lightly) will really depend on how much free space you have, right?

Originally Posted by RGrizzzz View Post
    Good to hear about the lat tower, but I'm pretty underwhelmed by the plate loaded pulley tower. The movement does not feel smooth. I'm not sure if the issue is the pulleys, weight post/rail(square tube va round rails on lat tower) or both. Heavier lifts seem ok, but things like a single arm bicep curl or tricep extension seem problematic. I bought this for accessory work.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/s...v3/400810.html
    Did you lubricate the tubing? The rods were jerky till I lubricated them, then smooth sailing.

RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RGrizzzz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    Did you lubricate the tubing? The rods were jerky till I lubricated them, then smooth sailing.
    I did, and it helps some. I think it's a limitation of the design of the square tubing. Friction is less of an issue with heavy loads, but I wanted this for accessory work, so lighter loads.

I think the loose play on the weight post is the likely culprit.
    https://youtu.be/nGrOjxMotsc
    Last edited by RGrizzzz; 12-29-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #44 ||---||

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great detailed review Synthetic.....

Just to clarify, after lubricating and using the machine..... does loading 190lbs+ still have a jerky feeling? If so, I'd kinda think this would be a deal breaker for most experienced lifters...... I'm old and weak but still start my lat pulldowns over 190lbs.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]

Originally Posted by rpark View Post
    Great detailed review Synthetic.....

Just to clarify, after lubricating and using the machine..... does loading 190lbs+ still have a jerky feeling? If so, I'd kinda think this would be a deal breaker for most experienced lifters...... I'm old and weak but still start my lat pulldowns over 190lbs.
    I'm still having issues doing 190 for more than a single set of 5 (i'm still weak sauce, boss), so I'll test it out tomorrow & report back, along w/ the roller pic.