Registered User strive4better86's Avatar
    strive4better86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Doomed by genetics?

Hey, first post here. Ive lost a good amount of fat and have realized that I have really wide hip bones. I can still feel fat around the area and I can probably make it look a bit better.
    I measured my hips and its around 40 inches (~100 cm) and my waist is 32 inches. Since so far Ive only been trying to focus on losing fat I probably have little muscle mass which doesnt help either.
    My question: Am I just doomed by genetics? Oblique exercises would probably help but I still need to know what you guys think, cause it's been making me feel really bad lately. Heres the pic: imgur.com/a/5sZNfyU

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Once you add muscle mass and fill out more it wont be noticeable. I was in a similar situation with hips wider than waist but after gaining some weight (muscle) it evened out very well.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You are not doomed. I weighed 136 pounds when I graduated high school in May and went right to a 4 year college. I was probably the smallest guy in my university with a student population of 20,000 my freshman year. I gradieted 3.5 years later, I are smart.
    Current rankings

ElKoeh: Sparrow
    TolerntLacoe: Opossum
    Faithbra: Opossum
    SuicideGripMe: Falcon
    MTpockets: Owl
    Air2Fake: Weasel
    Stefo9: Feret
    Camarja: Raccoon
    TearOfIc: Fox
    Mark1T: Black Labrador retriever
    Paulinanas: Coyote
    Sails: Wlf

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    We keep seeing threads about genetics... I think that many people are looking for ready made excuses why they have failed before they've even started. In reality, your lifestyle plays much more of a role in how you look pre-training.

Most of us have average genetics. Before they do any training, it's only possible to tell if someone has natural potential in extreme cases.

Be assured that everyone else can make big changes by hard work and persistence and that's the bottom line. You can't change your genetics so why waste time worrying about it?
    Last edited by SuffolkPunch; 01-15-2022 at 12:04 AM.

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by strive4better86 View Post
    Hey, first post here. Ive lost a good amount of fat and have realized that I have really wide hip bones. I can still feel fat around the area and I can probably make it look a bit better.
    I measured my hips and its around 40 inches (~100 cm) and my waist is 32 inches. Since so far Ive only been trying to focus on losing fat I probably have little muscle mass which doesnt help either.
    My question: Am I just doomed by genetics? Oblique exercises would probably help but I still need to know what you guys think, cause it's been making me feel really bad lately. Heres the pic: imgur.com/a/5sZNfyU
    Your frustration is palpable so I thought I'd chime in.

Let's look at the reverse. One of my friends always had a trim athletic build. As he got older he put on weight. When most guys put on weight it goes to the belly. Not him, it all went below the waist, below the belt line. He looked a little like your picture.

Overtime he put on more weight and started looking like most chubby guys look.

When you add or lose weight (fat, not muscle) you really can't control where it goes or where it comes off from. It just is. Genetics? I guess.

So if my friend were to start losing weight it would probably be "LIFO", last in first out. In his case he put on the belly last so that would probably start to go first and the stuff below the belt would probably go last. Like you. But if he kept going he would probably look like he used to look - "normal".

I see "markers" in your picture, markers that suggest you've made great progress. Don't compare yourself to others. You are a work in process. Compare yourself to yourself. You've made progress. Embrace the progress and use it motivate yourself to go further.

I don't know about your "hip bones". Maybe they are a little wider than average? You won't really know until the extra weight is gone. But. overtime, with decent workouts, your chest, upper back and shoulders will grow leading more to the shape you're looking for.

Best of Luck, don't give up.
    joe Henry

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    We keep seeing threads about genetics... I think that many people are looking for ready made excuses why they have failed before they've even started. In reality, your lifestyle plays much more of a role in how you look pre-training.

Most of us have average genetics. Before they do any training, it's only possible to tell if someone has natural potential in extreme cases.

Be assured that everyone else can make big changes by hard work and persistence and that's the bottom line. You can't change your genetics so why waste time worrying about it?

Tried to rep you but “must spread it”….anyhow, agree.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

Red pill masochist notanewbie2005's Avatar
    notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100) notanewbie2005 is not very well liked. (-100)
    32 inch waist 40 inch hips? I would think the only area to keep low as possible is the waist while increasing everything else. ATG squats can make hip measurement go up instead of down. Hmm

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Once you add muscle mass and fill out more it wont be noticeable. I was in a similar situation with hips wider than waist but after gaining some weight (muscle) it evened out very well.
    This^^^

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post

And that^^^
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShreddyMercury will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking Keep going at it!

Originally Posted by strive4better86 View Post

Whats up man, Im 16 and all of my childhood and times in middle school I thought the same thing, I was too small and my proportions would never be like the people I saw online. It doesn't matter what you look like now that's never an excuse, You gotta get out there and keep trying bro! you never know how far you can get until you try.