MattTrick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Protein and metallic taste

So I have had this issue over the past months which has been driving me mad. I started getting a metallic taste in my mouth eventually lasting all day. It has been maddening. Ive tried switching a lot of things, toothpaste, diet (removing things like caffine, dairy, eggs, etc one at a time). Finally I cut out my protein. Problem solved. Instantly this stopped. Now the problem is what do i do in terms of supplementing?

Protein is a huge part of my diet, it's great balancing the rest of my eating around this and i have seen some nice results. I am not taking garbage protein - Ive been using "Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard". Note that this was also occuring when i took that body fortress stuff from walmart. I am going to try EAS next, a non-chocolate flavor (which i usually got some variant of) but I am a bit concerned what if this still occurs?

Unfortunately metallic taste is a side effect of almost anything. I did read a bit about this occurring in people in ketosis, but honestly i think i eat too many carbs for that. Is this a result of too much protein? I normally take around 2-3 scoops a day. Anyone else had experience with this?

AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AMeyer9 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Try Pronom, Protean, SAN Titanium, Cellucor, Phase 8, or something. If gold standard tastes like their Pro complex I know exactly what taste you speak of.

Blue Star Nutraceuticals Gym God's Avatar
    Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MattTrick View Post
    .....Unfortunately metallic taste is a side effect of almost anything.
    How do you figure?
    Chris Belanger | Vice President, Sales
    www.bluestarnutraceuticals.com
    chris@bluestarnutraceuticals.com

Stay Connected with Exclusive Content & Special Offers:
    ********: bluestarnutraceuticals
    Instagram: @bluestarnutraceuticals
    YouTube: bluestarnutraceuticals

fortes fortuna adiuvat itzDodge's Avatar
    itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If it happen's still get your zinc/copper levels looked at. Zinc is a common factor with dysgeusia and can be associated with a metallic taste. Although I'm not particularly sure why your protein was causing the sensation but its the most common factor I can think of.

@Amyer It's not necessarily the taste of the protein. It persists after brushing my teeth, all day long. After eating and drinking.

@gymgod Look up metallic taste as a symptom. It comes up under tons of conditions

@itzdodge - thanks i will consider that. I did have blood work done and they said i had low vitamin d, but that would not account for the metal. Have been supplementing with vitamin d and no change (the problem also did not start when i started the vitamin d

it's clearly in reaction to the protein. if i stop, the next day the taste is gone. but while i take it, ill taste it all day long. even that night if i only had some in the am.

Blue Star Nutraceuticals Gym God's Avatar
    Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Gym God has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

@gymgod Look up metallic taste as a symptom. It comes up under tons of conditions
    You are correct that constant metallic taste can be an underlying condition but the way you said it being ..... "Unfortunately metallic taste is a side effect of almost anything." Is vary vague.

Going to the doctor should be your first place to go if this is truly a concern to you.
    Chris Belanger | Vice President, Sales
    www.bluestarnutraceuticals.com
    chris@bluestarnutraceuticals.com

Stay Connected with Exclusive Content & Special Offers:
    ********: bluestarnutraceuticals
    Instagram: @bluestarnutraceuticals
    YouTube: bluestarnutraceuticals

fortes fortuna adiuvat itzDodge's Avatar
    itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) itzDodge is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    @itzdodge - thanks i will consider that. I did have blood work done and they said i had low vitamin d, but that would not account for the metal. Have been supplementing with vitamin d and no change (the problem also did not start when i started the vitamin d

it's clearly in reaction to the protein. if i stop, the next day the taste is gone. but while i take it, ill taste it all day long. even that night if i only had some in the am.
    Did they check serum values or erythrocyte levels? Serum levels can stay relatively normal as tissue levels decline and to my knowledge erythrocyte levels tend to be much better indicators of tissue status

Originally Posted by Gym God View Post
    You are correct that constant metallic taste can be an underlying condition but the way you said it being ..... "Unfortunately metallic taste is a side effect of almost anything." Is vary vague.

Going to the doctor should be your first place to go if this is truly a concern to you.
    i did go and they just said low vit d

Originally Posted by itzDodge View Post
    Did they check serum values or erythrocyte levels? Serum levels can stay relatively normal as tissue levels decline and to my knowledge erythrocyte levels tend to be much better indicators of tissue status
    i am not sure which they checked, they didnt specify

Registered User userJ9WQRPYNGDM's Avatar
    userJ9WQRPYNGDM is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Same exact issue

Recently switched to this exact same protein powder for financial reasons (cheap as hell per servings compared to other options). Noticed on the third day and it has started to last all day. Have mouth dryness and that metallic taste in the tip of my tongue. I think it’s definitely something with the powder. I’m gonna switch to something else because it’s super annoying