Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

DIY Cable crossover for powe rack with cable attachment (pics)

Hi,

If you already have a power rack with low/high pulley attachment and need a cable cross over, then you need to spend only about 30-50$ to get this system. I have used it for the past one month (6 days/week) and surprisingly is very smooth and effective. I work with my friend who is quite serious bodybuilder (20+ years of experience) at the beginning he wasn't convinced but after the first use he loved it. We have done tons of exercises like cable cross over, cable chest press, flat cable fly, shoulder press, plus many other exercise that you can do with two dumbbells. There are a few things to consider:

1- The cables are narrow: compared to the conventional cable cross over, I actually found this an advantage, with this I can do chest press, also the fly movement is sufficient and lighter on the shoulders. I'm 5,9 and its comfortable for me, my brother is about 6,1 and he also felt okey with the fly movements.

2- Attaching the cables to the rack: attach the pulleys to the rack let them hang loosely, this way the movement of the cable is very smooth without any noise.

3- Weights: with the conventional cable cross over there are two separate weight stacks, with this system there is only one, I partially solved this disadvantage by using a single cable which goes through a pulley. Attachment of the system to the low or high cable (yellow arrows) can be with one cable from each upper or lower pulleys (blue arrows) if this is the case then when you are doing your exercise one hand can help the other, but with the current system the two upper or lower pulleys are attached by a single pulley which allows the cable freely move, in this arrangement each hand gets the same load.

3- Safety: its safe. To be sure of the safety use steel cable and pulleys strong enough for the weights you will be using. To make a ring at the end of the cable I used U shaped grips which have bolts, I used two each side for extra safety.

4- The set up is very easy to make, it took me less than 15 minutes to make it. Once you made it, it takes less than 15 seconds to instal it on the rack.

I hope this is useful. I wish I had done this 2 years ago when I got my rack.

Attached Images

jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdforsy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    good work man! Really great idea.

Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10) Scottsbaker is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    awesome idea!

Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great idea. Are they ankle straps you have used to attach the pulleys to the rack. Also, why have you used 2 different types of pulley?

Thanks

Registered User fabtechprerunne's Avatar
    fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ingenuity at its best.

m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50) m6305 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by fabtechprerunne View Post
    Ingenuity at its best.
    Thank you very much. Actually after 4 months of use I am so much happy with this system. Frequently used. I need to put up another picture where I used a 7' bar to use it as stabilization. I can do cable cross over with 30% more weights with the stabilization.

Originally Posted by Frano1 View Post
    Great idea. Are they ankle straps you have used to attach the pulleys to the rack. Also, why have you used 2 different types of pulley?

Thanks
    You can use ankle straps, I used them they're fine, but I use the straps from bodylastics they seem to be able to hold better. You can use the same types of pulley I shouldn't make much different, but for the middle pulley I used a smaller one because it hangs low if its too heavy and may effect the movement of the cable through the pulley.

tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tennisfeq86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wow this idea is awesome! Hoping to copy your exact same set up. Would you mind posting what size pulley/cable? I'm hoping to buy it online to save me a trip to good ol home depot.

Again, awesome work! Super pumped to try your idea!! I was in the market for a trainer, looks like won't be needing that with your idea!

Originally Posted by tennisfeq86 View Post
    Wow this idea is awesome! Hoping to copy your exact same set up. Would you mind posting what size pulley/cable? I'm hoping to buy it online to save me a trip to good ol home depot.

Again, awesome work! Super pumped to try your idea!! I was in the market for a trainer, looks like won't be needing that with your idea!
    Its late here, tomorrow I will give you the dimensions.

Originally Posted by tennisfeq86 View Post

I just measured the cable size its 4 meter 15 cm noose to noose. This dimension is for my body solid powerline power rack PPR200X. The pulley size I dont know if there are standard sizes for pulleys, but the two pulleys at each end have a diameter of 8 cm, and the one in the middle is 6.5 cm. Of course you can uses slightly different sizes as long as they hold the weight you're wishing to use.

boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250) boxinggsxr has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    can you post another pic of bottom right im trying to figure out how its pulling so your using one cable right connected to lat cable?
    Heavy bags DonT HIT back, it takes more than a gym membership to compete in the RING or Cage!
    6 time golden glove champion, 2nd at ringside worlds
    *Mac the Champ*
    USMC 0311/ OEF 2010
    SEMPER FI

Originally Posted by boxinggsxr View Post
    can you post another pic of bottom right im trying to figure out how its pulling so your using one cable right connected to lat cable?
    Its actually kind of lifting the pulley, when the two top ends of the single cable pulled, the pulley in the middle is lifted up pulling up the lat cable. I hope I didn't confuse you more . See the picture of the middle pulley which is installed in the cable of the power rack lat attachment system, as you can see the cable goes through the pulley (its not fixed to the pulley):

Attached Images

Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frano1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Many thanks for the reply. I'm waiting for all the materials to arrive I've now ordered to assemble this set-up.

The best bit of improvised equipment I've ever seen! If you've got the time and energy you should look to patent that design and sell it to the likes of Powertec, Bodysolid, Bodycraft etc. There's nothing on the market like it for racks, I've looked! I couldn't afford the cost or space needed for a cable machine so was delighted when i saw this and I'm sure this idea would really catch on for the home gym market!

Thanks again.

Happily Married Man .pumpingiron's Avatar
    .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50) .pumpingiron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    great idea bro!
    not sure I would use a crossover, but nice to know I have that option
    I have the same rack and high/low pulley you have

Originally Posted by Frano1 View Post
    Many thanks for the reply. I'm waiting for all the materials to arrive I've now ordered to assemble this set-up.

The best bit of improvised equipment I've ever seen! If you've got the time and energy you should look to patent that design and sell it to the likes of Powertec, Bodysolid, Bodycraft etc. There's nothing on the market like it for racks, I've looked! I couldn't afford the cost or space needed for a cable machine so was delighted when i saw this and I'm sure this idea would really catch on for the home gym market!

Thanks again.
    You're welcome bro, once you get the materials instal it and let me know how it goes if faced any problem let me know. The system should work smoothly. Its very important to let the pulleys hang Loosely and make sure your cables are fixed tightly for safety issues. Hope you enjoy this addition in your workouts.

yyyc186 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This looks so super i'm collecting the parts for it as well.

could you please post a picture of the stabilization 7' bar you refer to above.

Once again wonderful idea and thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by yyyc186 View Post
    This looks so super i'm collecting the parts for it as well.

could you please post a picture of the stabilization 7' bar you refer to above.

Once again wonderful idea and thanks for sharing.
    You're welcome. Here is the stabilization using a 7' bar and a pad. Its much more effective this way. Once you instal this system you yourself and start using it you will discover new things you can do with it. I've been using this cable system not only for cable crossover but to do many more exercises.

Yellow arrows indicate the pulley system added to the lat attachment of the power rack.
    Attached Images

Registered User fabtechprerunne's Avatar
    fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10) fabtechprerunne is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    m6305, what power rack is that if you dont mind me asking? Is it powerline,bodysolid? Model#?
    Thanks,

Originally Posted by fabtechprerunne View Post
    m6305, what power rack is that if you dont mind me asking? Is it powerline,bodysolid? Model#?
    Thanks,
    The power rack is: body solid powerline PPR200X.

golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by m6305 View Post
    The power rack is: body solid powerline PPR200X.
    i would like to make one exactly like your but i am not sure about the effectivity of this sytstem becuase it is narrow more than the proffesional crossover machine so my question is
    1. is it an effective as the pro machine fly ?
    2. my weight is 1.70 cm
    will it be good for me ?
    ty very much man

Originally Posted by golagola View Post
    i would like to make one exactly like your but i am not sure about the effectivity of this sytstem becuase it is narrow more than the proffesional crossover machine so my question is
    1. is it an effective as the pro machine fly ?
    2. my weight is 1.70 cm
    will it be good for me ?
    ty very much man
    I had the same concerns until I used it. I am 5,9 (174cm) and my brother is 182cm, both use it and its effective. By the way this in not only for cable-cross over, I've used it for many many more exercises. When I get time, I may post some more pictures of other exercises that you can do on this cable system.

golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100) golagola is not very well liked. (-100)
    I had the same concerns until I used it. I am 5,9 (174cm) and my brother is 182cm, both use it and its effective. By the way this in not only for cable-cross over, I've used it for many many more exercises. When I get time, I may post some more pictures of other exercises that you can do on this cable system.
    so when u do the crossover fly (most importnat for me) u feel like thre real machine ?
    ty for attention
    just checked it and the body solid cage his wide is 1.13 cm and i got powertech cage what is 1.27 cm )
    so it should get better dont u think ?

so when u do the crossover fly (most importnat for me) u feel like thre real machine ?
    ty for attention
    just checked it and the body solid cage his wide is 1.13 cm and i got powertech cage what is 1.27 cm )
    so it should get better dont u think ?
    When I do cable crossover (fly) with this system I really feel the tension in my chest and since I've got used to this system I even feel more comfortable doing it at home than doing the crossover in the gym. Another advantage I see is that I can put a 7' bar for back support as a stabilizer and do more weights and feel more tension in my chest. I think the wider cage would be better. Good luck.

When I do cable crossover (fly) with this system I really feel the tension in my chest and since I've got used to this system I even feel more comfortable doing it at home than doing the crossover in the gym. Another advantage I see is that I can put a 7' bar for back support as a stabilizer and do more weights and feel more tension in my chest. I think the wider cage would be better. Good luck.
    ty very much man , u made me so happy , i just going to buy everthing for this system this week and when it will get done i will be happy to tell u how's going

ty very much man , u made me so happy , i just going to buy everthing for this system this week and when it will get done i will be happy to tell u how's going
    You're welcome, I hope you enjoy this system as much as I do, if you can show us some pictures good luck.

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy this system as much as I do, if you can show us some pictures good luck.
    yhe i will , anyway can u do me a favor and look at my thread and answer my qestuin there ? i would like to do something that i will be able to work on the shoulder with the lat machine of powertech and i had idead to get two metal who shorther than the regularr what found down to the weight u pull ,
    i would like to do that for be able to pull more , if u cann look and answer at my thread it will be great ty .

tbox4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks to the OP for posting his setup for others to learn from.

This inspired me to replicate the setup except I used a wakeboard rope instead of a cable. This allowed the setup to weigh a little less and actually allows it to store away much easier. The rope has a tensile strength of 1500lbs so it can definitely handle the workload in this particular case.

The workout you can get from this setup is well worth the cost to make it.

kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    awesome work dude.

I was gonna try to do something but you did all the work. thanks :P

can you link what straps you used for the anchor points for the top/bottom. Did you have to take apart the cage to slide them on?

Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Poordad has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm pretty sure he used Bodylastics ankle strap. It's buried in one of the above post. I ended up using a pair of 24" tow strap that I just slid underneath my Bodycraft rack just because they felt more secure

kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kind has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    DSC00825.JPGDSC00828.JPG

I am cheap sob so I used what I had on hand to make my attach points. 5/16 u-bolts 2" http://www.lowes.com/pd_22286-1277-D...3D1&facetInfo=

lowes/homedepot/ace hardware all stock them. I used 2 nuts and some rubber washers I had laying around for grins. I hung and jump off it and it's solid.