moojeni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moojeni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Got a DEXA scan. It says 18.9% BF. Is this right?

First of all, I want to say that I'm a long distance runner. I TRY to be as skinny as possible.
    I got a DEXA scan the other day, and today, when I saw the results, was surprised to see that I'm 18.9% body fat (!!!). I didn't know I was so fat, wtf?
    I'm 179 cm and only 61.5 kg, so really skinny.
    According to the DEXA scan, I have 11.1 kg of FAT!.

What do you think? Is this right or there is a mistake?
    I thought I was around ~12%-13%....
    Attached Images

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by moojeni View Post
    First of all, I want to say that I'm a long distance runner. I TRY to be as skinny as possible.
    I got a DEXA scan the other day, and today, when I saw the results, was surprised to see that I'm 18.9% body fat (!!!). I didn't know I was so fat, wtf?
    I'm 179 cm and only 61.5 kg, so really skinny.
    According to the DEXA scan, I have 11.1 kg of FAT!.

What do you think? Is this right or there is a mistake?
    I thought I was around ~12%-13%....
    That seems off to me

Looks more like 13%

DEXA can be effected a lot by hydration and food in your system, perhaps that messed up the results
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

moojeni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moojeni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    That seems off to me

Looks more like 13%

DEXA can be effected a lot by hydration and food in your system, perhaps that messed up the results
    Thanks! That's weird. I got the scan early in the morning. I was fasted and didn't drink any water for the 2 hours before the test. The night before I ate a really light dinner, so I was with my stomach 100% empty.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks! That's weird. I got the scan early in the morning. I was fasted and didn't drink any water for the 2 hours before the test. The night before I ate a really light dinner, so I was with my stomach 100% empty.
    That could be the reason then.

AFAIK Dexa assume 'normal' hydration levels...
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

That could be the reason then.

AFAIK Dexa assume 'normal' hydration levels...
    Thanks. I didn't want to skew the results, since I knew that drinking a lot of water before the test would typically give a higher LBM reading, and less bf%.
    I drank normally until 2 hours before the test. I'm still not sure how not drinking for only 2 hours would screw up the results so much. I mean, if I'm really around 13%, how can not drinking water for the 2 hours before the test put my body fat percentage almost 6% higher?

Thanks. I didn't want to skew the results, since I knew that drinking a lot of water before the test would typically give a higher LBM reading, and less bf%.
    I drank normally until 2 hours before the test. I'm still not sure how not drinking for only 2 hours would screw up the results so much. I mean, if I'm really around 13%, how can not drinking water for the 2 hours before the test put my body fat percentage almost 6% higher?
    No idea man... that’s one reason I never got one... the results can be all over the place

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You probably skewed it the other way and wound up overestimating your bf%
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No idea man... that’s one reason I never got one... the results can be all over the place
    This thread is a good example even with tests out there that can be better at body fat readings there still are flaws.

Also, knowing your exact bf doesn’t matter much. If you need to lose 20 lbs you need to lose it. If you want to gain muscle/size and strength if you’re already lean you need to eat.

Op I don’t wouldn’t sweat it. You’re lower than 18. You don’t even have a ton of mass over all. Personally I would bulk slowly and gain some more muscle
    Last edited by snailsrus; 03-01-2021 at 04:34 PM.
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Please don't tell me you're trying to lose fat
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Please don't tell me you're trying to lose fat
    Didn't you read my post? I'm a long distance runner. I'm not trying to lose fat, nor to gain muscle.
    I'm definitely skinny enough right now. I was just curious to know my actual body fat, that's it.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I guessed 13 as well
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    This thread is a good example even with tests out there that can be better at body fat readings there still are flaws.

Also, knowing your exact bf doesn’t matter much. If you need to lose 20 lbs you need to lose it. If you want to gain muscle/size and strength if you’re already lean you need to eat.

Op I don’t wouldn’t sweat it. You’re lower than 18. You don’t even have a ton of mass over all. Personally I would bulk slowly and gain some more muscle
    Thanks, man. I don't really want to gain much muscle (if any at all) on my upper body, since that is pretty much dead weight for long distance running. I could surely recomp a bit, though.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    You probably skewed it the other way and wound up overestimating your bf%
    You're right. Damn

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Didn't you read my post? I'm a long distance runner. I'm not trying to lose fat, nor to gain muscle.
    I'm definitely skinny enough right now. I was just curious to know my actual body fat, that's it.
    Why does it matter what a machine says they're never accurate anyway and just fu#k with your head. This is a bodybuilding site anyway and not a distance running site.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    ^Exactly. Plus, at least no one gets upset when the guesses are low bf %s.