elig813 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why am i Plateuing ??

Hey guys, I have been working out for about a month following Kris Gethin's 12 week workout. I originally was 220 starting in 8/23. The first week i lost about 7 pounds. The lowest ive seen is about 210. but since then i have not lost anything. I actually gained, and Im about 215 this morning. Every week i would adjust my meal intakes and my cardio. I increase my cardio from 30 min a day to 40 min a day, and decreased my calorie intake by about 500. I have not seen difference on the scale. My body is definetly sore, and i can see some tonnes develop, but the weight did not drop. Is this normal, or am i doing something wrong. I follow the workout/ diet plan to the teeth. I do not take as many supplements as Kris does, but i do take the Whey protein, and sometimes the CLA.

Any feedback on this would be great. Pay no attention to the pictures i have posted because they are about 8 months old and i never updated them, thats when i was 240.

Thanks Guys

Registered User transformerbrah's Avatar
    transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000) transformerbrah is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by elig813 View Post
    Hey guys, I have been working out for about a month following Kris Gethin's 12 week workout. I originally was 220 starting in 8/23. The first week i lost about 7 pounds. The lowest ive seen is about 210. but since then i have not lost anything. I actually gained, and Im about 215 this morning. Every week i would adjust my meal intakes and my cardio. I increase my cardio from 30 min a day to 40 min a day, and decreased my calorie intake by about 500. I have not seen difference on the scale. My body is definetly sore, and i can see some tonnes develop, but the weight did not drop. Is this normal, or am i doing something wrong. I follow the workout/ diet plan to the teeth. I do not take as many supplements as Kris does, but i do take the Whey protein, and sometimes the CLA.

Any feedback on this would be great. Pay no attention to the pictures i have posted because they are about 8 months old and i never updated them, thats when i was 240.

Thanks Guys
    Try a thing called carb cycling. I use it; keeps my metabolism firing.
    "Whatever it takes"

205 lbs lost by age 20 through bodybuilding techniques.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Post calories, macros and estimated BMR/TDEE.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    Post calories, macros and estimated BMR/TDEE.
    I consume on most days about 1600- 1800 calories a day, all consisting of Protein, Carbs, and some fats. Typical meals are egg whites (3- 4 eggs) and a 1/2 cup of oats. Chicken breast and brown rice, Lean steak and broccolli, brown rice, or sweet potato. about 2-3 whey protein shakes, and a serving of either wheat thins or cheezits its to quench cravings. The latest meal is about 2-3 hours before bed.

I follow the Kris Gethin workout routine, normally 4-6 workout days a week.

If you guys need any more info let me know ill do my best to answer

Sweatin' to death in FL jubjubrsx's Avatar
    jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    are you trying to cut or bulk first off?

are you doing the 30-40mins of just cardio? are you lifting? and what kind of cardio are you doing, i've found running seems to burn off twice as much as like elipticals and such.

if you are cutting
    some advice to help with your diet. check out costco get some of the talapia/salmon/salmon burgers(yum) they have there. Fish is really really good for you. imo ditch the steaks, and potato's. When i was working on my cut (80lb cut) i pretty much ate chicken breasts, and fish, brown rice, and mixed veggies, and fruits (nectarines, watermelons, grapes, cherries), would have a protien shake for breakfast, lunch would be a sandwich, soda, baked potato chips(get the ones in the bags helps with portion control)

Originally Posted by jubjubrsx View Post
    are you trying to cut or bulk first off?

are you doing the 30-40mins of just cardio? are you lifting? and what kind of cardio are you doing, i've found running seems to burn off twice as much as like elipticals and such.

if you are cutting
    some advice to help with your diet. check out costco get some of the talapia/salmon/salmon burgers(yum) they have there. Fish is really really good for you. imo ditch the steaks, and potato's. When i was working on my cut (80lb cut) i pretty much ate chicken breasts, and fish, brown rice, and mixed veggies, and fruits (nectarines, watermelons, grapes, cherries), would have a protien shake for breakfast, lunch would be a sandwich, soda, baked potato chips(get the ones in the bags helps with portion control)
    Thanks Jubjbbrsx, and congrats on that big cut. Im also cutting but only about 30lbs. My goal is 180 and less then 10% BF. To answer you questions, yes i do 30-40 min of just cardio, usually on the elliptical and bike, i sweat a ton. I run on some days, but i prefer not too cause my legs get really really itchy, to the point where i cant finish. I am also lifting, usually 4-6 days a week. Im following the Kris Gethins workout plan on this site.

Im not a big a fish eater, but if it will work then ill sub it in, but i have steak atleast once a week, just to get away from the same chicken. In the diet plan, Kris eats sweet potatoes, for some good carbs, but stays away from fruits since they have sugar.

My main concern is, am I supposed to be seeing weight loss every week? Since i started almost 3 weeks ago i only noticed i lost in the first week, probably because its all water weight. But since then i have stalled. I dont know if its too early or im doing something wrong. Any other suggestions on to boost the metabolism?

Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cortez3531 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd try the stairmaster + HITT

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think you mentioned that you were seeing your muscles gain some tone. It could be that you are losing some fat and gaining some muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat, as it is much denser. Are you noticing a drop in pants size (or that your shirts are looser)? That would indicate that even though your weight is the same, you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Just a thought!

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I consume on most days about 1600- 1800 calories a day, all consisting of Protein, Carbs, and some fats. Typical meals are egg whites (3- 4 eggs) and a 1/2 cup of oats. Chicken breast and brown rice, Lean steak and broccolli, brown rice, or sweet potato. about 2-3 whey protein shakes, and a serving of either wheat thins or cheezits its to quench cravings. The latest meal is about 2-3 hours before bed.

I follow the Kris Gethin workout routine, normally 4-6 workout days a week.

If you guys need any more info let me know ill do my best to answer
    sounds like more calories than 1600-1800.

are you counting the protein shakes? 3 protein shakes (in water) are about 400 cal. double that in milk.
    Stern Crew

Originally Posted by rlundregan View Post
    I think you mentioned that you were seeing your muscles gain some tone. It could be that you are losing some fat and gaining some muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat, as it is much denser. Are you noticing a drop in pants size (or that your shirts are looser)? That would indicate that even though your weight is the same, you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Just a thought!
    Yea i have definitely noticed some definition in my muscles especially in the shoulder and tricep area, and my usualy 38 pants are really lose on my. I probably can fit into a 38 now, but yea the scale shows the same weight.

Originally Posted by Retoaded View Post
    sounds like more calories than 1600-1800.

are you counting the protein shakes? 3 protein shakes (in water) are about 400 cal. double that in milk.
    Yea the im counting the shakes, I have one before my workout, one after. and maybe one during the day to stop craves. But Im using the Gold standard 100% whey ( the red tub ) and 1 scoop is 120 calories with water.

ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ejthomp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Patience....

If you must weigh yourself every day, just log it down and at the end of the week take the average... that will be your "true" weight for that week. Gaining or losing 5 pounds in a day is easy to do and completely meaningless. You didn't lose 7 pounds of fat the first week....just as you didn't gain 5 pounds this week.

Record your average weight for the week...

Repeat for the next week.

Repeat for the next week.

Compare your weekly average weights over a full month. Then you will see the trend.

You are expecting a linear weight loss. It rarely happens like that. It's common to not see any weight loss for a couple weeks. You may even see some meaningless gain due to water weight manipulation(hydration level).

Just stay the course and trust your diet and exercise program.

If after a month your weekly average is higher than a month earlier... Well...then... you've been eating more than you want to admit.
    A diet isn't punishment. A diet is a way to reward your body with the wholesome, nutritious food that it needs. Your body composition is a direct reflection of what you put in your mouth.

BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000) BloodySalad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ditch Gethin and get a proper diet and a proper lifting regime.

I'm not a fan of Gethin's program and even if I was, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a newbie. Use AllPro's Beginners or Starting Strength (you'll find them in the workout forum).

Thanks for the advice ejthomp. I usually weight myself twice a week, just to see if any progress is being achieved. If i dont see any progress by the second weigh in, i make a change in the diet and increase cardio ( 30min to 40 min ). Just still wondering why im at a stall. I agree with what someone said earlier, that muscle is heavier then fat, and most likely my muscle is taking over. I hoping that this stall is temporarily and i start losing again this week.

Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Retoaded has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the advice ejthomp. I usually weight myself twice a week, just to see if any progress is being achieved. If i dont see any progress by the second weigh in, i make a change in the diet and increase cardio ( 30min to 40 min ). Just still wondering why im at a stall. I agree with what someone said earlier, that muscle is heavier then fat, and most likely my muscle is taking over. I hoping that this stall is temporarily and i start losing again this week.
    one week is not a stall...didn't realize thats all it was. I've lost 75 pounds in the past 10-11 months...I'd go 2-3 weeks barely losing anything at times then drop 4-5 pounds the next week. just keep going.

muscle is denser than fat yes, but if you are eating in a calorie deficit you are not going to gain weight beyond water fluctuations.
    Stern Crew

Originally Posted by Retoaded View Post
    one week is not a stall...didn't realize thats all it was. I've lost 75 pounds in the past 10-11 months...I'd go 2-3 weeks barely losing anything at times then drop 4-5 pounds the next week. just keep going.

muscle is denser than fat yes, but if you are eating in a calorie deficit you are not going to gain weight beyond water fluctuations.
    Thanks Retoaded, glad to hear that someone else went through the same thing, give me some hope, i guess i just lack the patience haha. Im going to keep it going, my motivation level is like 15/10 right now, just got to get over this hill.

madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madhattermike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm using gethins routine as well, almost finished week 12. I started this as a beginner and found this particularly helpful with the videos, etc. I admit I am not a fan of his nutrition and supplement stack; I think it's a little imbalanced with no fruit or dairy. So I incorporate those food groups and have a balanced nutrition regime. But I love the workouts and having an interesting routine. I've had great success with 33lb lost over 14 weeks. I will be starting week 1 over and go through it again.

But to your issue, it is not uncommon to have 1-2 weeks of no difference on the scale. I certainly went through that a couple times. Kris talks about that somewhere in the videos.

Originally Posted by madhattermike View Post
    I'm using gethins routine as well, almost finished week 12. I started this as a beginner and found this particularly helpful with the videos, etc. I admit I am not a fan of his nutrition and supplement stack; I think it's a little imbalanced with no fruit or dairy. So I incorporate those food groups and have a balanced nutrition regime. But I love the workouts and having an interesting routine. I've had great success with 33lb lost over 14 weeks. I will be starting week 1 over and go through it again.

But to your issue, it is not uncommon to have 1-2 weeks of no difference on the scale. I certainly went through that a couple times. Kris talks about that somewhere in the videos.
    Nice job Mike, glad the program worked out for ya. I love the workouts, they really get me sweating and i definitely feel it. I love how he switches everything up so your not doing the same exercise every week. Before when i was just doing my own thing, it would get really boring doing the same thing, and i wasn't getting the results i was after.

Glad to also hear you went through the same stall, gives me some encouragement. I cant wait what i would look like it 14 weeks.