coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

What I’m doing at age 54

This year marks 40 years of Natural strength and muscle building for me. I compete only with myself. Many of my PRs were set at age 48-50.

I typically take some time off each fall due to Coaching football but here’s my current routine that has always been very good to me. I guess I’m sharing this just because I have enjoyed lifting and enjoyed the gains and maybe someone who’s struggling with program selection might find something of use here.

My current diet (this is about typical)- I’m hitting around 3200 cals on average if my AP is accurate
    Breakfast -
    Black coffee
    1 cup Oatmeal
    4 Eggs and a cup of egg whites

Lunch
    1 cup rice
    10 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup broccoli

Second lunch
    1 cup rice
    10 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup broccoli

Dinner
    10 oz steak/ chicken/ lean ground beef or Tuna
    1 large potato or rice
    1/2 cup mixed veggies

Second Dinner
    Skim milk, water, whey protein shake
    * maybe fruit or cottage cheese or yogurt/ on weekends PB sandwich

The Training split
    *Never train two days in a row
    * workouts are done in under an hour
    * prioritize workouts and strive to get it done before 6 am.

Day 1- Torso

Essentially I superset all pushes with pulls where it makes sense to do so with antagonist muscle groups.
    Bench press/ Seated rows
    Incline press / lat pulldowns
    Flyes/ narrow pulldowns.
    * then it’s shoulder press *db press or smith machine press behind the head
    Upright rows
    Side lateral raises
    Sit-ups AMRAP

* I do not vary the order of the chest exercises but do vary the back exercises from workout to workout.
    * Sets and reps. I believe the bulk of my mass and strength was gained through progressive intense training in the 5-8 rep range. Now in my mid 50s , I’m more aware of elbow soreness at times so I am pyramid training my pushes with reps ranging from 12-3. For example, 135x15 warmup, 195x12, 215x10, 235x8, 255x5, 285x3 which allows me better warmups and I can make an informed decision on choosing sets and reps each day. Some days I may choose to stay in the 5-6 rep range and get after it a bit more choosing weight over volume of reps. For example, 135x 12 warmup, then four or five sets with 255x5-6 reps. The number of sets I choose is largely determined by my energy. Some days it’s 4 sets , but some it may be five or even six sets of a movement.

I typically hit 12 sets for each chest/ back/ shoulders...and four sets of abs.
    The rep range for things like pulls is typically 5-10. Occasionally I’ll hit some heavy 3-4 rep pulls or if I’m feeling a bit drained I’ll focus on quality contractions in the 10-12 rep range. None of it makes you smaller or weaker.

Day 2 Rest - rest days can include things like Tennis, walking, mowing the lawn, household chores or a good nap.

Day 3- Limbs

Legs and Arms.
    * To me, this is “squat and everything else is gravy” day.

Squats, like Bench, have become a pyramid scheme exercise for me as I pay attention to hips and knees to determine my sets , reps, resistance

I have come to prefer a light warmup but train AMRAP each set making 30 pound jumps each set. I might get 5,6 7 sets of squats in before moving onto my second exercise. Reps fall between 15-3 as the weight climbs.

Typically this is what gets done:
    Squats 5 sets
    Front squats or leg press 3-4 sets (pyramid)
    Leg ext 4-5 sets 15 ish
    Leg curls 4 sets 12 ish
    Calf raises 4 sets *15ish (to save time I superset the calf work with leg curls)

Then I superset bis and tris for 10-12 sets of each.
    Ez bar curls/pushdowns
    Alt db curls/skull crushers

*for variety, now and again I will do things like preachers or concentration curls.

Day 4- rest again...go to grocery store etc.

Repeat.

* every once in while I’ll throw in deadlifts in place of squats but it’s rare.

So again, I’m working fast, superset push pull where it makes sense( no rush, I allow breathing to be normal before I go) but I’m not sitting around....I’m working and I’m done typically in about 45-55 min depending on total sets.

I keep in mind that I have the next day off to do grownup things around the house...

Anyways, as a lifetime natural, I still love the weights and I’m still at it, fighting off muscle loss in my 50s.
    It’s been quite a journey going from a skinny kid who couldn’t bench 100 pounds at age 14 to a 400 pound bench press .
    I’m sure I have tried many different things but the best gains were from a lot of food, 5-6 meals a day, a lot of protein, a lot of rest, a lot of heavy 5-6 rep sets and smart training avoiding injury. I’m working on losing body fat slowly without losing muscle mass and strength but that’s a chore at any age.

*None of it makes you smaller.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    How many grams of protein is that a day? 250?

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    How many grams of protein is that a day? 250?

Minimum - up to 300 ish
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    Minimum - up to 300 ish
    I would expect no less than 300 for the guy in the video deadlifting.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    I would expect no less than 300 for the guy in the video deadlifting.
    Lately it’s been right around 380 but there’s a few days under and maybe a few over. For awhile I was forcing 12 oz cooked chicken down. It was too much once I added the broccoli.

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Love a good protein over feed...

I'm a firm believer in the 1.6-2.7g per kilo of bw.
    Closer to the higher end the closer you are to being a bigger unit or for masters lifters or cutting. But as stated a protein over feed certainly doesn't hurt..

I'll wager many younger guys will say its too much but I disagree anecdotally and with some science to back it.

http://www.strongerbyscience.com/ref...g-protein/amp/

Unsure if I jam with your programming, but that's very much a preference once you are around 2x frequency.

Stay strong coach
    Last edited by MyEgoProblem; 04-11-2021 at 03:45 PM.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Love a good protein over feed...

I'm a firm believer in the 2.6-2.7g per kilo of bw.
    Closer to the higher end the closer you are to being a bigger unit or for masters lifters or cutting. But as stated a protein over feed certainly doesn't hurt..

I'll wager many younger guys will say its too much but I disagree anecdotally and with some science to back it.

http://www.strongerbyscience.com/ref...g-protein/amp/

Unsure if I jam with your programming, but that's very much a preference once you are around 2x frequency.

Stay strong coach
    I started this latest way of eating by looking at the 40-40-20 plan.

I like protein. Meat is good. I do miss cheese.

Once a week or so I’ll have a free day and not worry about it.

wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wickedsushi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by coachcalande View Post
    This year marks 40 years of Natural strength and muscle building for me. I compete only with myself. Many of my PRs were set at age 48-50.

I typically take some time off each fall due to Coaching football but here’s my current routine that has always been very good to me. I guess I’m sharing this just because I have enjoyed lifting and enjoyed the gains and maybe someone who’s struggling with program selection might find something of use here.

My current diet (this is about typical)- I’m hitting around 3200 cals on average if my AP is accurate
    Breakfast -
    Black coffee
    1 cup Oatmeal
    4 Eggs and a cup of egg whites

Lunch
    1 cup rice
    10 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup broccoli

Second lunch
    1 cup rice
    10 oz chicken breast
    1/2 cup broccoli

Dinner
    10 oz steak/ chicken/ lean ground beef or Tuna
    1 large potato or rice
    1/2 cup mixed veggies

Second Dinner
    Skim milk, water, whey protein shake
    * maybe fruit or cottage cheese or yogurt/ on weekends PB sandwich

The Training split
    *Never train two days in a row
    * workouts are done in under an hour
    * prioritize workouts and strive to get it done before 6 am.

Day 1- Torso

Essentially I superset all pushes with pulls where it makes sense to do so with antagonist muscle groups.
    Bench press/ Seated rows
    Incline press / lat pulldowns
    Flyes/ narrow pulldowns.
    * then it’s shoulder press *db press or smith machine press behind the head
    Upright rows
    Side lateral raises
    Sit-ups AMRAP

* I do not vary the order of the chest exercises but do vary the back exercises from workout to workout.
    * Sets and reps. I believe the bulk of my mass and strength was gained through progressive intense training in the 5-8 rep range. Now in my mid 50s , I’m more aware of elbow soreness at times so I am pyramid training my pushes with reps ranging from 12-3. For example, 135x15 warmup, 195x12, 215x10, 235x8, 255x5, 285x3 which allows me better warmups and I can make an informed decision on choosing sets and reps each day. Some days I may choose to stay in the 5-6 rep range and get after it a bit more choosing weight over volume of reps. For example, 135x 12 warmup, then four or five sets with 255x5-6 reps. The number of sets I choose is largely determined by my energy. Some days it’s 4 sets , but some it may be five or even six sets of a movement.

I typically hit 12 sets for each chest/ back/ shoulders...and four sets of abs.
    The rep range for things like pulls is typically 5-10. Occasionally I’ll hit some heavy 3-4 rep pulls or if I’m feeling a bit drained I’ll focus on quality contractions in the 10-12 rep range. None of it makes you smaller or weaker.

Day 2 Rest - rest days can include things like Tennis, walking, mowing the lawn, household chores or a good nap.

Day 3- Limbs

Legs and Arms.
    * To me, this is “squat and everything else is gravy” day.

Squats, like Bench, have become a pyramid scheme exercise for me as I pay attention to hips and knees to determine my sets , reps, resistance

I have come to prefer a light warmup but train AMRAP each set making 30 pound jumps each set. I might get 5,6 7 sets of squats in before moving onto my second exercise. Reps fall between 15-3 as the weight climbs.

Typically this is what gets done:
    Squats 5 sets
    Front squats or leg press 3-4 sets (pyramid)
    Leg ext 4-5 sets 15 ish
    Leg curls 4 sets 12 ish
    Calf raises 4 sets *15ish (to save time I superset the calf work with leg curls)

Then I superset bis and tris for 10-12 sets of each.
    Ez bar curls/pushdowns
    Alt db curls/skull crushers

*for variety, now and again I will do things like preachers or concentration curls.

Day 4- rest again...go to grocery store etc.

Repeat.

* every once in while I’ll throw in deadlifts in place of squats but it’s rare.

So again, I’m working fast, superset push pull where it makes sense( no rush, I allow breathing to be normal before I go) but I’m not sitting around....I’m working and I’m done typically in about 45-55 min depending on total sets.

I keep in mind that I have the next day off to do grownup things around the house...

Anyways, as a lifetime natural, I still love the weights and I’m still at it, fighting off muscle loss in my 50s.
    It’s been quite a journey going from a skinny kid who couldn’t bench 100 pounds at age 14 to a 400 pound bench press .
    I’m sure I have tried many different things but the best gains were from a lot of food, 5-6 meals a day, a lot of protein, a lot of rest, a lot of heavy 5-6 rep sets and smart training avoiding injury. I’m working on losing body fat slowly without losing muscle mass and strength but that’s a chore at any age.

*None of it makes you smaller.
    Hey coach. Congrats on such an impressive milestone! I don't post often but frequently peruse old threads and often come across some of your gems from several years ago - good to see you back.

I've had a bit of paralysis analysis of late. I had been doing a torso / limbs routine very similar to your set up - I based in off off Dorian Yate's original upper / lower + arms as well. I agree the psychological benefits of having a day off after a every workout is great.

After a de-load a month ago (and having made some progress), I came back and decided change things up after having decided I wasn't so fussed on the length of my workouts (torso was around 1hr 25 minutes) ... and things have fallen apart. I've finally settled on 5 day upper lower - spreading the upper volume over 3 workouts.

Well, day 3 of 5 of week 1 was today ... and I'm ready for a day off tomorrow! But, given it's a 5 day protocol, it means I only have one day a week free in terms of flexibility (e.g miss tomorrow, workout Fri/Sat). What's the preferred trade off? Slightly longer workouts on the days I'm in the gym with torso / limbs, or slightly shorter workouts, but less flexibility /5 days a week? I'm nearly 40 and hate to admit it, but I suspect my recovery is not as stellar as it was a decade+ ago when I first threw myself into the gym. I've driven myself round the bend trying to find the perfect set up, when ultimately - there's no perfect program. There's always going to be a trade off. The other question is how sustainable 5 days in a row is with recovery, real life commitments etc. An every-other-day set up is a lot more forgiving and flexible. I want something I can plug in and run indefinitely.

I stuck with the torso / limbs set up for several months and was satisified with the results ... but as per usual I had to screw around with a good thing. Just when I'm playing with the idea of returning to it, I log in to see you're still going strong with it after all these years. So I might just have my answer there! I think it's an oft-overlooked scheme.

Anyway, just wanted to share your past posts have been of great help. And again, 40 years under the bar is a hell of a feat.

Originally Posted by wickedsushi View Post
    Hey coach. Congrats on such an impressive milestone! I don't post often but frequently peruse old threads and often come across some of your gems from several years ago - good to see you back.

I've had a bit of paralysis analysis of late. I had been doing a torso / limbs routine very similar to your set up - I based in off off Dorian Yate's original upper / lower + arms as well. I agree the psychological benefits of having a day off after a every workout is great.

After a de-load a month ago (and having made some progress), I came back and decided change things up after having decided I wasn't so fussed on the length of my workouts (torso was around 1hr 25 minutes) ... and things have fallen apart. I've finally settled on 5 day upper lower - spreading the upper volume over 3 workouts.

Well, day 3 of 5 of week 1 was today ... and I'm ready for a day off tomorrow! But, given it's a 5 day protocol, it means I only have one day a week free in terms of flexibility (e.g miss tomorrow, workout Fri/Sat). What's the preferred trade off? Slightly longer workouts on the days I'm in the gym with torso / limbs, or slightly shorter workouts, but less flexibility /5 days a week? I'm nearly 40 and hate to admit it, but I suspect my recovery is not as stellar as it was a decade+ ago when I first threw myself into the gym. I've driven myself round the bend trying to find the perfect set up, when ultimately - there's no perfect program. There's always going to be a trade off. The other question is how sustainable 5 days in a row is with recovery, real life commitments etc. An every-other-day set up is a lot more forgiving and flexible. I want something I can plug in and run indefinitely.

I stuck with the torso / limbs set up for several months and was satisified with the results ... but as per usual I had to screw around with a good thing. Just when I'm playing with the idea of returning to it, I log in to see you're still going strong with it after all these years. So I might just have my answer there! I think it's an oft-overlooked scheme.

Anyway, just wanted to share your past posts have been of great help. And again, 40 years under the bar is a hell of a feat.
    Hey Sushi, keep grinding!

I have the torso day under control as it takes me under an hour. Usually about 45 min...

By the time I’m done alternating bench and one of my pulls I’m already “into it” and feeling like I’m already on the gain train! After two or three push/pull exercises have been grouped and finished, I know I’m at least maintaining.

The decision for me some days is to fly or not to fly...ie, I get lazy and just decide to bench and incline a few extra sets instead. Either way, I’m getting three pushes and four pulls done on that torso day. When I get through the chest/back part and only have shoulders and abs left...I think “15 minutes more and you got a day off”...

As I type this, I’m sipping my coffee and preparing to hit the garage for a torso blast. I’m feeling good so will probably smash weights in the 5-8 rep range.

Btw, your point about sensible programs to allow for real life and flexibility is exactly why I group things this way...the time I save by alternative push/pull mvts and the rest days to do other stuff fits me best. If I miss a day for some reason, it’s no big deal, just pick up wherever I left off.

My son does the same split but he just does MWF and he’s making great gains.

I will NEVER go back to the old 3 on 1 off split even though I enjoyed that too....it’s just too inflexible and I just don’t have that kind of regular time.

Keep hanging anf banging! Live large n in charge!

Btw Sushi,

I timed myself on the chest/back portion. 24 sets in 30 min.
    That was followed up with 12 sets of shoulder work, 4 sets of abs, a shower and lunch cooking. ( Rice and chicken meatballs) all in 60 minutes total!

Great workout today hitting it a bit heavier on the pushes and pulls, getting higher reps, pump n burn from “fly presses” later.

Hoping to regain some of this strength without regaining the body fat!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvnaHRaQ7p0