JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

adjustable dumbbells, are they worth it?

I am looking to basically do my workouts at home, but i see entire weight lifting sets for around 800+ for the good ones and thats dumbbells only. Have any of you used the adjustable ones? If so are they worth it. i tried to read reviews online, but they arent really reliable to me. I appreciate it.

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    adjustable ones like bowflex only go up to what 52.5lbs? Theres really not much progress to be had unless thats just your goal. I would personally just get a 300lb barbell set for a little over $100 and call it a day.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Your King

AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000)
    The Ironmaster and Powerblock adjustable db's are expandable up to 130lbs...

This question is better suited for the workout equipment section, there are probably 20 threads about this over the first 5 pages.

The bowflex adjustables are garbage.

JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JCinDFW has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I appreciate it. I think I will just get something else to work with then. Appreciate the feedback.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JCinDFW View Post
    I appreciate it. I think I will just get something else to work with then. Appreciate the feedback.
    A decent set will make it worthwhile, like the above user suggested.

Otherwise, get DB handles and some plates.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000) AaronCF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JCinDFW View Post
    Another thing to consider: Standard plates and spinlock handles, you can get 18" spinlocks from newyorkbarbells.com, those will hold 100+lbs each, I personally have hex db's 5-50, anything heavier I use the spinlocks...

fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fblanco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i do all my lifting at home too, i have a couple dumbell handles and plates and it works fine for me, personally i don't think the adjustable db's are worth it, and like someone above mentioned you can't get too heavy on them.

therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are looking for adjustable dumbbells that can load a lot of weight, you may want to consider Olympic dumbbell handles that can fit Olympic plates:

There are several out there that can fit 5 or more 10lb plates on each side (i.e. 100+ DBs). They are probably more expensive than the standard 50lb sets out there, but I think it's a nice alternative to a full dumbbell set.
    Last edited by therorschach; 12-05-2008 at 10:58 AM.
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Biznatch231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I got the 52lb bowflex ones when I started out and needed heavier withing like 5 months (never lifted before). Now they are only good for lateral raises. I use some of those 18" spinlock DBs for everything else. The only good thing about the bowflex ones is changing the weight takes like 2 seconds. The pieces of crap drop certain plates now and you have to ship them to bowflex for warranty repair (try shipping 105lb boxes).

ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ITHURTZ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by therorschach View Post
    If you are looking for adjustable dumbbells that can load a lot of weight, you may want to consider Olympic dumbbell handles that can fit Olympic plates:

There are several out there that can fit 5 or more 10lb plates on each side (i.e. 100+ DBs). They are probably more expensive than the standard 50lb sets out there, but I think it's a nice alternative to a full dumbbell set.
    You can pick up the olympic dumbell handles for something like $50 for a pair if you look in the right places.
    It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Your King

jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AaronCF View Post
    The Ironmaster and Powerblock adjustable db's are expandable up to 130lbs...

This question is better suited for the workout equipment section, there are probably 20 threads about this over the first 5 pages.

The bowflex adjustables are garbage.
    The ironmaster are actually only 120 lbs but still a good set. I just got the upgrade for these myself. They are slower to change the weight, but they are really tough and feel close to regular dumbbells. I love mine, totally worth the money.
    -You have to do what others won't to achieve what others don't.

-There are no reps; only failure

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by therorschach View Post

Wow, never saw those before, I like 'em.

I've used the Gold's Gym/Weider ones (same exact weights, just different badging). They were 10-50lb adjustables. I bought them at the sporting goods store on base. They had those or the bowflex. The Gold's Gym ones worked just fine, and were good for what they were. Stow them away in a corner or something.

Bowflex feels cheap, and does not work as smoothly as the commercial says. A buddy of mine had them in teh past, and said they were cheap, not price wise, but quality. They literally broke on them.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    EDIT: Sorry, AaronCF--just noticed you already suggested the Powerblocks. X2 on those.

Check out Powerblocks as well . . . I've had a pair for years and they are awesome. Mine go up to 100 lbs (but I think they have them up to 130 now). One set of DBs essentially get you every combination you need.

Only downside is that you can't do things like pullovers as easily because of the handle design. But the pluses vastly outweigh the minuses IMHO.

Last edited by taf1968; 12-09-2008 at 05:59 AM.
    *MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sean_Jmu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think they'd be useful if you did a lot of drop down sets

if not then they'd be useful if you were lazy

but in the UK they cost like a years gym membership, no ta

J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J1n has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if you got money to spend then i would go with ironmasters. powerbocks have good reviews but the iron masters is pretty much a solid dumbell after you change the weight. (also lifetime warranty). if your on a budget go with spinlocks.

True it does cost pretty much a years worth of a gym membership but i see people posting that they have had it for 5+ years so i think its worht it.

sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    buy db handles and weights for it, that's what I did. I even put 25lbs plates on the sides so it can hold more than enough weight. I have 50lbs plates I could put on there if I ever get that strong.
    "i dream therefore i am not"