Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by machx View Post
    So you guys are saying the SOLE difference between white rice and brown rice is fiber content?
    There are other differences, but nothing nearly significant enough to put a "better" stamp on one versus another.

hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    something like 95% of the cals in either come from exactly the same cereal kernel.

that should really tell you how minor the difference really is.

machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    There are other differences, but nothing nearly significant enough to put a "better" stamp on one versus another.
    Fair...

I guess the root of this question is whether or not the Glycemic Index matters. I subscribe to your AARR, and I think I read you saying that it is irrelevant?

I guess then it would put a bullet through the benefits of Whole Wheat bread, pasta, everything.

As for the fiber, it's a lot easier to get a bunch of fiber from nuts since they're loaded with it in smaller amounts.

I can accept that the GI isn't important when it comes to brown rice white rice, but what's hard for me to get my head around is the idea that something like hard candy would have the same effect as brown rice (give that they are taken in the same caloric/carbohydrate value) or does the GI matter for sugar only? If this was the case, then could I eat my macronutrient requirement for carbohydrates in say, Sour Patch Kids, as long as they are within my macronutrient requirements and still have the same body composition and exercise performance effect? <sounds very silly lol. or am I completely missing the point? It seems to go against the whole idea of raisins being "quick energy"? I think I'm missing something here!

Thanks!

PS I love your book and the monthly review!
    Last edited by machx; 01-21-2009 at 11:49 AM.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Fair...

I guess the root of this question is whether or not the Glycemic Index matters. I subscribe to your AARR, and I think I read you saying that it is irrelevant?

I guess then it would put a bullet through the benefits of Whole Wheat bread, pasta, everything.

As for the fiber, it's a lot easier to get a bunch of fiber from nuts since they're loaded with it in smaller amounts.

I can accept that the GI isn't important, but what's hard for me to get my head around is the idea that candy would have the same effect as brown rice (give that they are taken in the same caloric/carbohydrate value) or does the GI matter for sugar? or am I completely missing the point?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: GI, see the August issue of AARR, p. 14, about 2/3 down the page, left column.

Re: brown rice vs white, technically, brown rice would be a slightly inferior choice to white rice from the standpoint of nutrient bioavailability & nitrogen retention.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol. 1996 Oct-Dec;33(4):225-31.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9...ubmed_RVDocSum

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men. Feces were weighed, the digestibility of nutrients was determined, and blood tests were made. Each subject followed a diet consisting mainly of polished rice for 14 days and one consisting mainly of brown rice for 8 days. Both diets contained 0.5 g protein per kg of body weight. The brown rice diet had 3 times as much dietary fiber as the polished rice diet. On the brown rice diet, fecal weight increased, and apparent digestibility of energy, protein, and fat decreased, as did the absorption rates of Na, K, and P. The nitrogen balance was negative on both diets, but more negative on the brown rice diet. The phosphorus balance on the brown rice diet was significantly negative, but other minerals were not affected by the diet. The levels of cholesterol and minerals in the plasma were not significantly different on the polished rice diet and the brown rice diet. Comparing these results with data on standard protein intake (Miyoshi, H. et al (1986) J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol., 32, 581-589.), we concluded that brown rice reduced protein digestibility and nitrogen balance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2...ubmed_RVDocSum

seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) seal3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

rice

Originally Posted by tjperez86 View Post
    exactly right... Depends on your preference as well i like the taste of brown rice because I do not have to put anything on it. WHite rice to me seems plain and boring
    TRY JASMEN WHITE RICE ,SAME KIND THEY USE IN CHINA REST,

RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RC2008 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    White rice burns exactly the same (if not better) in my system as Oatmeal, Sweet Potato, and brown rice.

I can accept that the GI isn't important when it comes to brown rice white rice, but what's hard for me to get my head around is the idea that something like hard candy would have the same effect as brown rice (give that they are taken in the same caloric/carbohydrate value) or does the GI matter for sugar only? If this was the case, then could I eat my macronutrient requirement for carbohydrates in say, Sour Patch Kids, as long as they are within my macronutrient requirements and still have the same body composition and exercise performance effect? <sounds very silly lol. or am I completely missing the point? It seems to go against the whole idea of raisins being "quick energy"? I think I'm missing something here!

Thanks!

Also, I did a review of a raisin study in the Feb issue of AARR, page 13.

Micronutrient density & GI are two different parameters, and should be discussed separately to avoid undue transposition of 2 ideas. There are high-GI foods that are nutrient-dense, and low-GI foods that are nutrient sparse, and vice versa. For the most part, quality of the carb source can affect long-term health, whereas bodycomp effects will be minimal to nonexistent if macro amounts are matched, regardless of GI.

PS - I mentioned this in a thread earlier today, pretty much sums things up:

Glycemic index is a useless thing to worry about unless you meet the following conditions:

-- You're a sedentary diabetic who eats large amounts of carb-dominant foods in isolation from protein & fat-dominant food, in a completely fasted state.
    -- You meet the above criteria and you happen to consume a hypercaloric, low-protein, high-carb diet.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post277038901

hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ok, i hear everything you're saying Alan.

BUT, I have this one friend who is WAY bigger than you. When I went to the gym today and told him the stuff you're saying he just laughed at me. He said, 'bro - if you're serious you gotta eat seriously.'

Guess, I need to go back to brown rice (but not before bed) and waxy maze PWO.

Thanks for trying tho.

Originally Posted by hooked4life View Post
    ok, i hear everything you're saying Alan.

BUT, I have this one friend who is WAY bigger than you. When I went to the gym today and told him the stuff you're saying he just laughed at me. He said, 'bro - if you're serious you gotta eat seriously.'

Guess, I need to go back to brown rice (but not before bed) and waxy maze PWO.

Thanks for trying tho.
    Size only matters to a point! Ask Godzilla!

pfffft tell that to ronnie!

Originally Posted by hooked4life View Post
    pfffft tell that to ronnie!
    Ronnie's got competition:

machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000) machx is just really nice. (+1000)
    PS - I mentioned this in a thread earlier today, pretty much sums things up:

Glycemic index is a useless thing to worry about unless you meet the following conditions:

-- You're a sedentary diabetic who eats large amounts of carb-dominant foods in isolation from protein & fat-dominant food, in a completely fasted state.
    -- You meet the above criteria and you happen to consume a hypercaloric, low-protein, high-carb diet.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post277038901
    Yeah I was definitely combining principles (I tend to do that) but what is the separate principle that makes candy "bad" in large amounts? besides rotten teeth

Thanks for the answers!

yea the super muscle regeneration cow freaks me out.

devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So alan what your saying is...
    to have 1/2 cup brown rice mixed with 1/2 cup white rice for optimal results?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111082701

"Whether you believe you can, or believe you can't, You're right."

Ok so what is the separate principle that makes candy "bad" in large amounts? besides rotten teeth
    Potential deficiencies via displacement of essential micronutrients that would have been obtained in less refined food.

Originally Posted by devo09 View Post
    So alan what your saying is...
    to have 1/2 cup brown rice mixed with 1/2 cup white rice for optimal results?
    Nope. the pros & cons of each neutralize the whole comparison. So, have what tastes best to you personally.

devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nope. the pros & cons of each neutralize the whole comparison. So, have what tastes best to you personally.
    damn, i should have added a sarcasm smilie in there lol
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111082701

"Whether you believe you can, or believe you can't, You're right."

Potential deficiencies via displacement of essential micronutrients that would have been obtained in less refined food.
    But I thought the only difference between white and brown rice was the fiber? =/

What would the downfall to a carbohydrate macronutrient component of only fruit be?
    What does white rice have that Gummy bears don't ? LOL

Is it the sugar that is "bad"?

But I thought the only difference between white and brown rice was the fiber? =/
    Differences exist other than fiber content? Yes. Differences that are too small to matter? Yes. differences that are neutralized by the antinutrient effect of the fiber within brown rice anyway? Yes.

I'll pay someone to scientifically prove to me that Sour Patch Kids are better for me than brown rice

Differences exist other than fiber content? Yes. Differences that are too small to matter? Yes. differences that are neutralized by the antinutrient effect of the fiber within brown rice anyway? Yes.
    Sorry I said that in a round-about manner - I was trying to make the logic chain that if White rice is as good as Brown rice, then shouldn't Candy be as good as Brown rice?

What would the downfall to a carbohydrate macronutrient component of only fruit be?
    Not much other than boredom.
    What does white rice have that Gummy bears don't ? LOL
    an Asian mystique.
    Is it the sugar that is "bad"?
    Confucious say, isolated fixation on the small parts causes loss of big picture.

Very interesting. Thanks!

btw do you ever do requests for RR segments? I'd love to see your take on Vegetables (nutrient value, health effects, best vegetables to eat, etc)

Very interesting. Thanks!

btw do you ever do requests for RR segments? I'd love to see your take on Vegetables (nutrient value, health effects, best vegetables to eat, etc)
    holla atcha boy

aarrsupport at gmail

tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'll pay someone to scientifically prove to me that Sour Patch Kids are better for me than brown rice

if muscletech produced it i'm damn sure they'd have some university study prooving it

muscletech could market and sell 100% lard
    Instagram: thomas_poucher

yes i've tried doing incline first

reps on recharge.. demonwareltd, flang, TTimmerman, wala, Canuck77

str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) str8savage is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    White rice is a more processed product, whereas brown rice is left in its more natural state. White rice has been milled down to remove the germ and the inner husk (bran) which contains many of the essential nutrients (vitamins, fiber, etc). It is then polished using glucose or talc. So with white rice, what you end up with is more of a refined starch, lacking significantly in nutritional value by comparison to brown rice.
    Brown rice does not have the the germ and inner husk removed during processing, so it retains the complete nutrient profile. Brown rice is a more complex carb than refined white rice, so it will be slower to convert to glucose in the bloodstream.

Right Mentality Necesary! ReedT's Avatar
    ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReedT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    That cow scares me o.o
    "It doesn’t matter what you’ve heard
    Impossible is not a word
    It’s just a reason for someone not to try"
    -Kutless "What Faith Can Do"

(Proper Diet+Correct Training Program)^EFFORT= Results!

Most people walk around like Clark Kent because they don't know they can fly like Superman

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is just too complex. People throw around terms without knowing what they mean. Where are the intelligent life forms?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Originally Posted by str8savage View Post
    White rice is a more processed product, whereas brown rice is left in its more natural state. White rice has been milled down to remove the germ and the inner husk (bran) which contains many of the essential nutrients (vitamins, fiber, etc). It is then polished using glucose or talc. So with white rice, what you end up with is more of a refined starch, lacking significantly in nutritional value by comparison to brown rice.
    Brown rice does not have the the germ and inner husk removed during processing, so it retains the complete nutrient profile. Brown rice is a more complex carb than refined white rice, so it will be slower to convert to glucose in the bloodstream.
    Only a 2-page thread & you don't read it through before posting? Bro......