resU deretsigeR fkn_give_me_abs's Avatar
    fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Back workout - forearms and biceps give out too early

I'm having a few issues working out my back. I've been doing weightlifting on and off for about 4-5 years and this has definitely been a problem for much of the time although I have recently started training hard again after a 4 month break and it seems to be worse than ever (I have been working out again for 2 months, 3 days a week).

My back workout consists of a mixture of four of the following followed by two bicep/forearm isolation exercises:
    Seated rows
    Chin ups
    Pull ups
    Bent-legged deadlifts
    Machine equivalents of the above

Generally on the third exercise I find my forearms and biceps are giving way even though my back can easily continue, and on the fourth exercise it becomes a real problem. For example, my forearms get so weak I have trouble maintaining grip. I always leave bicep/forearm isolation till the end so I'm not sure how about to fix this other than concentrating more on strengthening forearms/biceps before trying more for back.

Does/Has anyone else had this kind of issue? How did you get around it? Any advice to offer?

Cheers
    i'm a real boy!

PT and Coach - http://www.********.com/sagertrain

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If grip strength is limiting you, you can try using wrist straps.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fkn_give_me_abs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by matjusm View Post
    If grip strength is limiting you, you can try using wrist straps.
    ha! seems i've been so long out of the game I forgot about those buggers!

for me these would be a last resort, but it may be the better option - thanks for the advice
    i'm a real boy!

Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sevenstrings is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I used to have the same issue, back giving out before grip/forearms, but after doing doing fat bar work for a bit over a month now, I've seen astounding progress in grip strength, to the point where grip is no longer a limiting factor when I go for 1 and 2 rep max deadlifts.
    Prior to fat bar work, I did static holds, which can help, but I feel that far bar work is king when it comes to increasing grip strength (also has the added advantage of working out and increasing your forearm thickness too)

Originally Posted by Sevenstrings View Post
    I used to have the same issue, back giving out before grip/forearms, but after doing doing fat bar work for a bit over a month now, I've seen astounding progress in grip strength, to the point where grip is no longer a limiting factor when I go for 1 and 2 rep max deadlifts.
    Prior to fat bar work, I did static holds, which can help, but I feel that far bar work is king when it comes to increasing grip strength (also has the added advantage of working out and increasing your forearm thickness too)
    ahh that's an idea i never considered - cheers!
    i'm a real boy!

Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uberknee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Make sure your form isn't emphasizing secondary muscles too much.

Keep doing it for a month or two and see if your bis and forearms naturally catch up.

Use wrist straps.

You can try doing a forearm and bicep only day with 10 sets of iso exercises each. Rep range your choice but I'd recommend 8-12. You can also try a 4-6 rep range 6-8 sets/muscle group program. The idea being that you have developed a weak spot and now have to work it out more to force it to catch up.

cheers guys, I think I have all the info i need now. Time to get those forearms up to par!
    i'm a real boy!