jdurango is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Extruded disc (worse than herniation) and deadlifting or other lower back movements..

I'm 35 years old. After an MRI I was recently diagnosed with a bulging L4L5 disc and an extruded L5S1 disc. A disc extrusion is more severe than a bulging/herniated disc in that the disc annulus is actually torn and the nucleus material has escaped. It can't be recontained without surgery, and excess lumbar pressure risks more damage or forcing out more nucleus material.

This caused severe back pain and sciatica for a while, but has since subsided to mild numbness in one foot.

I have the all clear from my PT to slowly ease back into squats or front squats front squats, along with a prescription for lots of core/ab/oblique movements. I'd eventually like to get back into DL'ing or something else (safer?) to help build the erector muscles to support the spine. I'll probably stick to sumo deadlifts, and only after doing a lot of core work over the next year.

Beyond this, can anyone offer specific advice for my situation? I understand deadlifts should be completely safe with proper form....this isn't news to me. Even a herniated disc wouldn't worry me much, but as I understand it, an extrusion is a whole different ballgame that requires a special degree of care.

There is a ton of info out there about bulging/herniated discs and lifting, but practically nothing about extrusions. Thanks fellas!

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Youtube search for McGill big 3. Then do a Google search for Dr Stuart McGill and read all his articles. Do what he says.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    Youtube search for McGill big 3. Then do a Google search for Dr Stuart McGill and read all his articles. Do what he says.
    Ive seen you post this many times, and I tried it last time I was having lower back issues. I'm not sure it helped ( I didn't continue after my issue cleared up) but it seemed to be a lot more oblique focused than anterior and posterior core work?

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Ive seen you post this many times, and I tried it last time I was having lower back issues. I'm not sure it helped ( I didn't continue after my issue cleared up) but it seemed to be a lot more oblique focused than anterior and posterior core work?
    Bird dogs directly hit the lumbar. That's probably the most important aspect of the big 3.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Bird dogs directly hit the lumbar. That's probably the most important aspect of the big 3.
    It was a little rough, I should probably incorporate stuff like that more proactively instead of when I have an issue. Sure let me know my flexibility sucks. Broke a sweat doing it.

jdurango is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the info. I'll check that out! Bird dogs are one of the exercises recommended by my PT.

Wackyrig is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just chiming in to wish you luck. I am 46. Had an L5/S1 microdiscectomy 6 years ago for a large disc fragment that broke free and had to be removed. My foot was asleep for 3 weeks while we tried to avoid surgery. Due to waiting that long I was left with some mild permanent sciatic damage. Nothing crazy, just tingling from time to time.
    When they did my surgery thy had to remove part of the vetabrae because the fragment was large enough that they had to to get to it. I was highly advised against traditional squats and dreads afterwards. All my leg work since has been unilateral,
    Now I have another herniation at the same disc. Had Epidural Steroid injection yesterday.
    So far so god. Back to PT next week. Anther injection if neede in 3 weeks.

Good luck. I am not a competition lifter. So I don't mind not squating or deadlifting but have really focused on making lower body gains through other lifts. I play competitive volleyball so that strength is very handy.
    Last edited by Wackyrig; 03-17-2017 at 04:29 PM.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would look into doing your deads with a trap bar and see how that suits you. By having your hands to the side, and standing in the center of the load, the center of gravity is shifted and the stress is a bit less. If you are green-lighted on squats, you could at least try trap bar deads. You should check with your PT, though.

Good luck,
    Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I recommend this on many posts concerning low back issues to try a reverse hyper machine if you have access to one.
    Powerlifting coach Louie Simmon's came back from a horrific low back injury by using it as part of his rehab.
    He has a story to go with it if you search "Louie Simmons reverse hyper."
    Not saying it will absolutely help your issue,I'm not a medical professional,but it has helped many and may be worth a try.
    Finding a gym with one would probably be the issue.
    Most big box gyms don't have them,it's usually the little hole in the wall gyms that do.
    I have one in my garage gym and love it.

Wackyrig is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    I recommend this on many posts concerning low back issues to try a reverse hyper machine if you have access to one.
    Powerlifting coach Louie Simmon's came back from a horrific low back injury by using it as part of his rehab.
    He has a story to go with it if you search "Louie Simmons reverse hyper."
    Not saying it will absolutely help your issue,I'm not a medical professional,but it has helped many and may be worth a try.
    Finding a gym with one would probably be the issue.
    Most big box gyms don't have them,it's usually the little hole in the wall gyms that do.
    I have one in my garage gym and love it.
    I have a nice set up in my garage as well and need to ask my PT about this based on my issue but I certainly like the idea.