sammclean23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench Press and Elbow Pain

Got a nagging problem here,

I keep getting a pain in my left elbow during bench press (nothing else)

Just to note, im doing reg park's beginnner 5x5 routine.

The problem:
    - Elbow pain usually during descent on bench press
    - Sometimes clicks
    - With lighter weights aswell

What I've tried through research:
    - altered grip, wide and closer
    - loosened my grip
    - ensured my form is as good as possible i.e. feet on floor, shoulder blades contracted, slight arch in back (enough to fit hand under), elbows at ~45% to body, pressing just above nipples
    - REST
    - close bench press for triceps does not hurt my elbow

Just been reading the sticky on here regarding 'no matter what injury/pain, this test will usually work'.

Well i've tested for ROM and Weight etc and have found that even on heavy weights, there are times when i dont feel any pain at all, though its rare

It's just frustrating when you spend time to find proper form through the use of videos/mirrors and it is only you that suffers from certain injuries'pains while your mates continue to be out of form with no problems.

Anyway, if anyone can help/offer suggestions (if there is any other than rest) I would be really grateful!

Sam

Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hmmm.... well it doesnt sound like anything is seriously wrong.

Maybe just throw in some wrist strengthening exersises in your workout program. That should help strengthen your elbow joint, which might be weak.

Could also be the bar you are using. I have used certain bars that made my elbow crack, and experienced discomfort.

Originally Posted by Dale1988 View Post
    Hmmm.... well it doesnt sound like anything is seriously wrong.

Maybe just throw in some wrist strengthening exersises in your workout program. That should help strengthen your elbow joint, which might be weak.

Could also be the bar you are using. I have used certain bars that made my elbow crack, and experienced discomfort.
    Wrist curls things like that?

Can rule out the bar mate iv used 4 different ones now

Glad to hear it might not be anything serious though, thanks

Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dale1988 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sammclean23 View Post
    Wrist curls things like that?

Can rule out the bar mate iv used 4 different ones now

Glad to hear it might not be anything serious though, thanks
    yeah, wrist curls with either dumbells or barbells. Also make sure you are doing tricept and bicept exersises as well, this will also strengthen you elbow.
    Dont forget 90% of the responses on the injury recovery forum are wrong lol. How long have you been working out for?

yeah, wrist curls with either dumbells or barbells. Also make sure you are doing tricept and bicept exersises as well, this will also strengthen you elbow.
    Dont forget 90% of the responses on the injury recovery forum are wrong lol. How long have you been working out for?
    Yeah I definately do both tricep and bicep

Been going gym over a year now mate

Hey, any response is better than nothing. Considering most at the gym dont have any..even the trainers

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Check the elbow correction moves at the 2:30 and 5:15 marks, here:

The whole vid is pretty informative, actually, though it sounds like you already have the bigger points of it. Now it's just those nagging "small details" that can make a difference.

Yeah I definately do both tricep and bicep

Been going gym over a year now mate

Hey, any response is better than nothing. Considering most at the gym dont have any..even the trainers
    Well your form must be alright then. I would just keep an eye out for any inflammation. If your elbow is inflammed after your workouts, that is a sign of tendonitis.

Also, be sure to periodize on the 5x5 program. That program is hard on the joints.

Originally Posted by mrmrbill View Post
    Check the elbow correction moves at the 2:30 and 5:15 marks, here (the whole vid is pretty informative, actually, though it sounds like you have the bigger points of it already):
    Thats where i got the elbow technique from..iv watched and watched and tried this with my bench but just cant get rid of it.

Suppose I could just lift really light but the idea of reg parks is to do high weight lifting, although not at cost of an injury i guess.

Well your form must be alright then. I would just keep an eye out for any inflammation. If your elbow is inflammed after your workouts, that is a sign of tendonitis.

Also, be sure to periodize on the 5x5 program. That program is hard on the joints.
    Do you mean like have weeks off occasionally or something similar?

At present I do it sun/tue/thurs

Again, heres me trying to help on here while my mates will go and just bust out the press with no thought at all and be fine lol!

mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mrmrbill is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thats where i got the elbow technique from..iv watched and watched and tried this with my bench but just cant get rid of it.
    Are you curling (bicep curls) very heavy? For some, this could be the bigger cause and the BP is just contributing some aggravation. If that's the case, lighten the curls/higher reps, and the BP may not aggravate it so much.

Are you curling (bicep curls) very heavy? For some, this could be the bigger cause and the BP is just contributing some aggravation. If that's the case, lighten the curls/higher reps, and the BP may not aggravate it so much.
    Erm Iv been using a weight so that i can do 2x10 reps using barbell for the curls. I suppose hammer curls are quite heavy. Infact, thinking about it, i have noticed pain in that elbow at the end of a barbell curl. I just thought my elbow was positioned wrong

Do you mean like have weeks off occasionally or something similar?

At present I do it sun/tue/thurs

Again, heres me trying to help on here while my mates will go and just bust out the press with no thought at all and be fine lol!
    I know what you mean brah, guys like that piss me off lol. I dont even bench anymore

Yeah, just dont go all out for a week or two every 2-3 months or something, whatever feels good, if you think you might be overtrained.

Or instead of benching you could just switch to pushups.

I know what you mean brah, guys like that piss me off lol. I dont even bench anymore

Yeah, just dont go all out for a week or two every 2-3 months or something, whatever feels good, if you think you might be overtrained.

Or instead of benching you could just switch to pushups.
    yeah gets annoying lol. Saw this new guy swinging weights on dumbell curls nearly hitting him self in the face, i mean everyone is new at some point but his mates just let him carry on lol!

Yeah get what you mean..had a week off last week and first part of this week infact.

I tried dumbell curls but the pain remained

Push ups are good, will i still gain doing push ups though?

some physiotherapy that may help: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post779507993

thank you! having a look now..seems the wrist curls are a good idea then

chromecarz00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chromecarz00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chromecarz00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chromecarz00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi,

what you have is the same thing I do, a sublexing ulnar nerve. Unfortunately there is no proven treatment for it, but I am working on a device that would allow people like you and me to work out without feeling the discomfort. The pain and clicking comes from aggravation of the nerve moving over part of the elbow, do a google search for more information. The way that I am working around is is only doing half reps, before the point of click. The correct position for it is the way it is seated when your arm is extended - when you bend it, find the point it clicks and do reps to ~15% less than that. It gets quite painful and the only fix is surgery. See a doctor to confirm this diagnosis, and I hope you read this.

JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JohnSmeton has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    stop doing bench, and learn prehab and rehab protocols. Maybe do flys and pec dec for 1-2 months and take off pressing movements, thats what i had to do recently from pressing movements and I havent bench pressed in 7 years now, had to cut it out.
    Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Online coaching avilable
    ******** Great Physique Fitness https://www.********.com/Great-Physique-Fitness-575323199169735/?ref=hl
    Twitter SmetonFitness https://twitter.com/SmetonFitness
    Instagram https://www.instagram.com/great_physique_fitness/?hl=en

DustyCreep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man I was having the exact same issue. Honestly these three things will help you the most.

1. Stop using heavy weight for anything that your elbow supports (keep it light for a little bit)

2. Ensure that before every workout you have a VERY light warm up routine to properly lubricate your elbow joints

3. ICE your elbow if it starts hurting and STOP messing with it for awhile, take enough rest days and baby it back to health

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm sure that in the intervening 3-4 years the OP has figured something out.