TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Road to Redemption-The Road to my first Natural Show

Hello all,

My name is Patrick. I am really inspired by all the contest prep journals on here. I thought I would also create one to help keep myself accountable and just to be able to share my story with anyone thats willing to read it. Of course its awesome to have a community to go to that can read your story and offer suggestions, advice, constructive criticisms, and encouragement. I hope everyone who read this will get something out of it.

My History:
    -----------

Growing up, you guessed it, I was the fat kid. On top of that I had natural occuring gynocomastia...imagine being the fat kid with big boobs...dang it stunk.

Fast forward a bunch of years later, I lost a ton weight, got surgery to fix the gyno and all is well. I started going back and forth in my twenties with weightilifting, being like most guys...serious for a few months and then slacking. I managed to get into great condition around 24 years old but then once again lost it. Finally around 27 I started following competetiive bodybuilding and wanted to get in on it. I thought my only choice to get into it was to use steroids...so I did. Long story story short is yes I got huge but I also got caught and went to jail. After that I stayed clear of lifting and walked away from the sport.

About 8 years later, now married, a dad of 2 wonderful kids, getting right with God and changing my life for the better I have rekindled my passion for bodybuilding. I put on a ton of fat since walking away and had a lot to lose. My wife about a year ago got back into working out and it motivate dme to do the same. As I started to get back into it I just felt the love and desire I had but this time I am doing it for the right reasons.

I started at a mess of 217 lbs...since then through hard work and eating clean I have dropped 31 lbs. I am focusing now on continuing to lean out and putting on lean muscle mass. My ultimate goal is to compete in a natural show...I have a long way to go but I do hope to do so...maybe its a pipe dream but I hope to do so in 2013.

Diet
    ----
    Currently I am shooting for macros of 200 Protein/ 280 Carbs/ 50 Fat. I will post my diet and training each day on here.

Training Split/Cardio
    --------------------
    My current split is as follows:

Mon: Chest/Tri's/Abs/Calves followed by 25 min of cardio on recumb bike

Tues: Back/Bi's/Traps followed by 35 min of cardio on elliptical

Wed: Abs/Calves followed by 45 in of cardio on elliptical

Thurs: Shoulders/Traps followed by 45 min of cardio on elliptical

Friday: 3 Sets of chest/tri's/biceps and abs and then 45 min of cardio on elliptical

Saturday: Legs/Calves

Sunday: Rest

Supplements
    ------------
    Multi and Vitamin C after breakfast
    Animal Pak after breakfast

Syntha 6 twice a day.

Isopure post workout.

C4 Pre Workout
    Purple Wrath Intra Workout
    Cellmass Postworkout

I guess thats it for now...just wnated to get this started. I will post macro and training for the day in detail later for the day. I also plan to post pics on Wednesday evening. Thanks all!

Patrick

I am a father, husband, son, brother, uncle, bodybuilder, and IT Professional. Forgiven, healed, and cured by the executed and risen son of God.

TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheMastedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yesterday went well though I went over my macros. Yesterday was the first day I really tracked it in terms of recording it and its definitely eye opening on how effective recording meals can be. I will have to make some adjustments.

Weight This Morning: 190

Desired Macros:

Calories: 2300
    Protein 200
    Carbs:280
    Fat 50

Yesterdays Actual Macros:
    Calories: 2880
    Protein: 246
    Carbs: 329
    Fat:70

I will review yesterdays food intake and make adjustments to reach my goal.

Training was chest and tri's yesterday and it was awesome. Very intense and i moved up weight in some excercises. I need to start recoridng my workouts as well, I will be doing that starting tonight for bi's and tris and will report on that most likely tomorrow along with todays macros. My posts will usualy be off by a day since I work full time and workout late at night so I usually just come home and pass out when I am done.

Hope everyone has a great day.

P

Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    From one Dad/Christian/and 35yr old to another, good luck man. I'll be following.

Thank you so much bro. I would love nothing more to have my children watch me compete soemday to teach them what can be done through hard work and dedication.

Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rypt1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TheMastedon View Post
    Thank you so much bro. I would love nothing more to have my children watch me compete soemday to teach them what can be done through hard work and dedication.
    Agreed, I'll probably have my two oldest watch me for the first time in my upcoming contest in October.

RSP Nutrition Lead Rep jpfaherty's Avatar
    jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jpfaherty has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Crazy story! In for the ride
    ★★★ RSP Nutrition Lead Representative ★★★

High Quality Supplements For All Your Goals

RSP Nutrition Store:
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/ store/rsp-nutrition.html

★★★ Live Inspired ★★★
    http://www.rspnutrition.com/

Thanks bro...love the encouragement on here!

Here is a pic of my back..yup I know I definietely have a lot of BF to lose but this is 31 lbs down from where I was so its a major improvement...only going to get better.

Does anyone have advice on current macro and calorie goals as well as current cardio? Is it sufficient for helping cut bf or should i make adjustments?
    Attached Images

Great day of eating and working out yesterday. Below is a recap of yesterdays accomplishments:

Todays Weight: 191

Yesterdays Macros: 245p/220c/55fat

Caloroies: 2375

Bodyparts Worked: Back and Biceps:

Back:

Wide Bar Lat Pulldown:
    180 x 6
    180 x 6 / Dropdown to 120 x 6
    180 x 5 / Dropdown to 120 x 5
    165 x 6 / Dropdown to 135 x 5
    165 x 4 / Dropdown to 135 x 4

Close Grip Cable Rows:
    150 x 6 / Dropdown to 120 x 6
    150 x 5 / Dropdown to 120 x 5 / Dropdown to 90 x 5

Close Grip Lat Pulldown:

Dumbell Rows:
    80 x 8
    80 x 6
    75 x 8
    75 x 8

Bentover Barbell Rows:
    95 x 8
    105 x 6
    110 x 8
    120 x 8

Bi's:

Cable Straight Bar Curl:
    130 x 5 / Dropdown to 100 x 5
    130 x 5 / Dropdown to 100 x 5
    130 x 5 / Dropdown to 110 x 5
    130 x 5 / Dropdown to 110 x 5
    130 x 5 / Dropdown to 80 x 5

Seated Machine Preacher Curls:
    60 x 10
    65 x 8
    70 x 6
    75 x 5 / Dropdown to 45 x 5

Dumbell Bicep Curls:
    40 x 7
    40 x 7
    40 x 7
    40 x 7 / Dropdown to 30 x 5
    40 x 7 / Dropdown to 30 x 5

Dumbell Side Bicep Curl:
    45 x 6
    45 x 6
    45 x 6
    50 x 5 / Dropdown to 30 x 5
    50 x 5 / Dropdown to 30 x 5

Hammer Cable Curls

100 x 6
    100 x 6
    80 x 6

The unfortunate thing is I missed cardio as I got to the gym late and it was lareayd 12:25 and I had to be up at 5 am I decided it would be best to get some rest. Looking forward to getting it in tonight.

Have a good day all.

P

Oye, yesterday was a rough day. I work in IT and every now and then after hours works pops up and it did yesterday which ruined any chance of training...so that was a wash yesterday.

My macros came out all screwed up as well:

Calories: 2340

Macros Yesterday: 189p/213c/81f(ugh!!)

rather than get down and be negative I am going to rebound strong today. i am really seeing the benefit of logging my macros. Before my only concern was protein intake and carb reduction so I would never focus too heavily on fat in take. I mean I wouldnt go and purposefully gorge on fat but I wouldnt track it precisely...this is a learning experience and I am definitely learning.

Back at it today...Shoulders and cardio tonight. Cant wait!!

Have a great day everyone.

P

Your workout had a ton of volume

I assume you work body parts once a week, is that correct?

Hi Rypt,

Hehe...I know...for some reason thats how I have always trained but am now reading up on things like PHAT and 5/3/1...just not sure which way to go or to stay the same.

I do nearly every bodypart per week but then also put in a mini chest and tri workout on Friday as well.

Patrick

Hi Rypt,

Hehe...I know...for some reason thats how I have always trained but am now reading up on things like PHAT and 5/3/1...just not sure which way to go or to stay the same.

I do nearly every bodypart per week but then also put in a mini chest and tri workout on Friday as well.

Patrick
    Yeah, I was pretty much "hit each body part" once a week since I was a teen. Over the last year, though, I've switched it up to hitting body parts twice a week. I'll drop the volume of course and I do a mix of heavy days and hypertrophy days. Right now I'm structured like:

Monday: heavy lower
    Tuesday: heavy upper
    Wednesday: off
    Thursday: hyper lower
    Friday: hyper upper

It seems like, for me at least, and many naturals that hitting parts twice a week is optimal. It has really helped bring up my legs. I've also tried 5/3/1 and liked it okay. It seemed to help leg strength but didn't fare as well for me on chest versus my own program.

Thanks for the tips bro...I agree...I think it may be time to look at doing something like that. Do you do any cardio on thise days?

Thanks for the tips bro...I agree...I think it may be time to look at doing something like that. Do you do any cardio on thise days?
    I'm currently only doing 1 HIIT session on Wednesdays (my off day from weights). I'm attempting to do as little cardio as possible in this prep. I'm currently 21 wks (and 2 days out). But if I stall, I'd add short cardio sessions in. Since you may not compete until 2013, do you plan to bulk until you are ready to prep? Will you cut for a while and then bulk?

I think thats the biggest question I am still trying to figure out...I need to get my bf measured but I think I am over 20%..I posted a pic above...its only my back but not sure if you can make an estimate. I am unsure if its better for me to cut down and get down to something like 10% and then bulk or if its its better for me to just keep working on gaining size and then diet down later.

BTW do you have a log too bud? Let me know and I will definitely follow.

I think thats the biggest question I am still trying to figure out...I need to get my bf measured but I think I am over 20%..I posted a pic above...its only my back but not sure if you can make an estimate. I am unsure if its better for me to cut down and get down to something like 10% and then bulk or if its its better for me to just keep working on gaining size and then diet down later.

BTW do you have a log too bud? Let me know and I will definitely follow.
    I guess if it were me, I would diet down for a while, slowly to 10-12%, first and then bulk slowly until you were ready for prep. I guess it depends on the date of the contest you might target. I'm currently set 26 weeks to diet. In last year's first contests for me, I did 16 weeks. I'm hoping to diet much slower, dropping maybe 1lb to 1.5lb per week. So far so good. You might end up cutting slowly and then hit 10% and see a contest within 20 weeks or so and just continue into prep. I think the key is to plan ahead.

Yes, I do have a log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=139229683

Thanks so much for all the advice bro. I think thats the plan I am leaning towards to right now, to diet down to 10-12% and then build up from there. If anything I will wait to 2014...rather be well prepared and look my best instead of rushing to try and get on stage looking not 100%

Awesomeness man, thanks so much!

MUCH better day yesterday Was under on caolries but felt better overal and had a solid workout::

Weight: 190

Calories consumed yesterday: 2083

Macros: 222p/153c/65f

Came in lower on carbs than I was aiming for and a bt over on fat but I am learning and getting closer to fine tuning this diet to meet my goals.

Gym was good but made a key decision to switch gyms. I have been at my current gym for 5 months, its a small 24 hour gym, no bells and whisteles which arent needed but they are lacking in some key areas, only one bench which is in a smith machine, no calf machines, and only one free barbell and last night that barbell was not in sight anywhere so I couldnt so my shoulder presses, i Substituted with seated shoulder presses in the smith but still I want to be at a gym with more equipment so I can have the freedom to use what I need when I need it.

Anyways, managed to have a great shoulder workout..here is a recap:

Dumbell Shoulder Press:
    55 x 10
    55x9
    50x9
    50x8
    50x5 /dropdown to 35 x 6

Seated Military Press in Smith Machine:
    Bar x 12
    20 x 12
    30 x 12
    40 x 10
    50 x 10

Dumbell Shoulder Side Raises:
    30 x 8
    30 x 8
    30 x 8
    30 x 8

Dumbell Side LAteral Raises
    35 x 8
    35 x 8
    35 x 8

Reverse Dumbell Flys
    20 x 6
    15 x 12
    15 x 12

Upright Rows:
    130 x 8
    140 x 6 / drop to 100 for 5
    140 x 6 /drop to 100 for 5
    80 x 10

Shrugs:
    75 x 12
    80 x 10
    85 x 10

35 minutes of cardio on the elliptical for 340 calories burned.

Overall a solid workout I felt...I will be putting in my gym membership resignation next week most likely and look forward to switching to the othe 24 hour gym by me called Bodyblast.

Workout was also awesome since adrenaline was way up to my New Jersey Devils winning last night! Woot woot! Go Devils!!

Have a great day everyone.

P

Good morning and happy Saturday all!

Heres a recap of yesterday:

Calories: 2236

Macros: 238p/218c/50f

Training on Fridays is a mini upper body workout and abs and cardio. Here is a recap:

Incline Dumbell Presses:
    60 x 12
    55 x 10
    55 x 10

Flat Bench Dumbell
    55 x 8
    55 x 7

Tricep Cable Pushdown (using mini straight bar)
    80 x 12
    90 x 12
    100 x 12

Dumbell Kickbacks
    15 x 12
    20 x 12
    20 x 12

Close Grip Pull Ups
    2 sets for 4 reps
    1 set for 3

Seated Dumbell Curls
    30 x 8
    30 x 7
    30 x 7

Cardio was done for 45 min on the recumbent bike. Calories burned were 375.

Have a great day and enjoy your weekend all.

Patrick

You haven't logged recently. Checking in to see what's up.

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Great story. I love how the gym just continues to call you back, it was always a steady hand even during the most wreckless years of my life. I look forward to seeing you succeed on the bodybuilding stage.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000) SpiteTheOdds is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hope your stickin with it. Best of luck.

Wow guys, I am sorry it has been forever that I have been here. I'm honestly not sure how much I will log on here, I started a video log but I also like this format.

So here is whats been going on with me:

The good news is, even though I stopped logging I never stopped training. I have been with 3DMJ for the past 25 weeks or so and am working with Alberto Nunez as my primary coach. When we started I weighed in at 194.8 lbs. I have been working hard since then and am now weighing in at 167.5. We have just about completed my first phat loss phase and will be going through a muscle gaining phase now.

I am currently running my first ever RPE training cycle that Coach Alberto prescribed to me and I am loving it so far. My current macros are 200p/300c/50f on normal days and 190p/375c/40f on high days.

So overall, things have been going phenomenal. Brick by brick, stone by stone we are getting there. I am loving the journey and will do my best to get back to keeping everyone in the loop.

P