Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beginner dumbbell only

Good morning,

I basically don’t want to go gym for some reasons I can’t change at the moment. All I have are some dumbbells at home and I’m wondering if dumbbell only full body workouts are a decent way of starting?

Below is the routine that I came up with however I have no experience therefore can anyone help with it? My goal is to gain strength and muscle.

I am willing to pay someone to assist me with a better routine/modifications. Please comment or PM me.

Day 1 (All with dumbbells)

- Squats 3x10

- Stiff leg deadlift 3x10

- Bent over row 3x10

- Lateral raise 3x10

- Bench press 3x10

- Bicep burl 3x10

- Tricep extensions 3x10

Day 2 - Rest

Day 3;

- Dumbbell lunges 3x10

- Romanian deadlift 3x10

- Bent over row 3x10

- Overhead press 3x10

- Bench press 3x10

- Hammer curl 3x10

- Tricep extensions 3x10

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5;

- Squats 3x10

- Stiff leg deadlift 3x10

- Bent over row 3x10

- Overhead press 3x10

- Bench press 3x10

- Bicep curl 3x10

- Tricep extensions 3x10

Day 6 - Rest. Then repeat from day 1.

As i said, I have no experience apart from a few hours of online research. How is the above? Is there anything you’d change, bearing in mind i have dumbbells only.

If anyone is interested I can pay a small fee for some help with a routine for beginners with dumbbells only.

I appreciate the help.

paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) paulinkansas has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It's better than nothing. At least you aren't like some of the morons on here that want to do 3 different chest exercises, 4 different bicep exercises, and completely ignore their legs.

You've got a decent fundamental list of lifts. If you look at the stickies at the top of this forum, there are some programs that are dumb bell only. The main lifts in those programs are the same as yours. Good job mayne.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Gurs9 View Post
    All I have are some dumbbells at home and I’m wondering if dumbbell only full body workouts are a decent way of starting? ... If anyone is interested I can pay a small fee for some help with a routine for beginners with dumbbells only.
    Dbs are fine starting out if you have a whole set of them or a pair of adjustable dbs. You want to be able to progress over time.

It's not a bad routine, although you'd need to do db variations of some of your exercises. Plus Day 5 is the same as Day 1, so it doesn't make sense to do Day 1 after Day 5, you should go back to Day 1 after the Day 4 rest day.

Regardless, you're missing the plan to progressively overload - which is key. Tale a look at Fierce 5 db full body, and its progression scheme. It'd be suitable for you:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1266579671

And don't pay anyone who PMs you with suggestions or routine ideas, it's not necessary.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    It's better than nothing. At least you aren't like some of the morons on here that want to do 3 different chest exercises, 4 different bicep exercises, and completely ignore their legs.

You've got a decent fundamental list of lifts. If you look at the stickies at the top of this forum, there are some programs that are dumb bell only. The main lifts in those programs are the same as yours. Good job mayne.
    Was gonna say exactly the same thing, that routine looks pretty solid

Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gurs9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Dbs are fine starting out if you have a whole set of them or a pair of adjustable dbs. You want to be able to progress over time.

It's not a bad routine, although you'd need to do db variations of some of your exercises. Plus Day 5 is the same as Day 1, so it doesn't make sense to do Day 1 after Day 5, you should go back to Day 1 after the Day 4 rest day.

Regardless, you're missing the plan to progressively overload - which is key. Tale a look at Fierce 5 db full body, and its progression scheme.

And don't pay anyone who PMs you with suggestions or routine ideas, it's not necessary.
    Thanks for reply. What exactly does progressive overload mean? Is it literally just increasing weight as and when you can?

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post

You've got a decent fundamental list of lifts. If you look at the stickies at the top of this forum, there are some programs that are dumb bell only.
    Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    Was gonna say exactly the same thing, that routine looks pretty solid
    Thanks guys!

NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NearlyBigAngus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for reply. What exactly does progressive overload mean? Is it literally just increasing weight as and when you can?
    It basically means working harder over time - usually either as increases in weight lifted or number of reps performed in a set. There are other ways to progressively overload but as a beginner those 2 are your main tools. Typically the way to go would be to start with a weight that you can manage for sets of say 8 reps. Work with that until you can get sets of 10 reps... then add a couple of lbs and repeat. There's lots of schemes for doing it - your best bet is to look at a few programs and see what you like the look of and try it.

Personally I would swap out the tricep kickbacks for french press/skull crushers just because I feel them working the long head better - but you might find differently. The main thing is to get started and try some things out.

I would also say don't overlook bodyweight exercises like pull ups and push ups which are easy to perform at home and are great exercises.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What exactly does progressive overload mean? Is it literally just increasing weight as and when you can?
    Increasing weight is one way, # of reps is the other primary way.

"As and when you can" is not the best progression scheme. That's why I pointed you to the F5 db program, since it has set instructions to keep you making consistent progress, and reset instructions on what to do if you stall (on a post further down).

Regarding pullups mentioned above as an option, you should have a vertical pull in your routine and F5 does recommend you get a doorway pullup bar or find another way to do them.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    What size dumbells do you have available to you?

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Got one for ya....

Originally Posted by davisj3537 View Post
    The Dumbell Full Body Program

Workout A
    Split Squat 3x8 (each leg)
    Bench 3x8 (If you don’t have a bench do floor press)
    DB Rows 3x8 (One arm on bench, back parallel to floor)
    Reverse Flies 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15/French Press 2x10 Superset

Workout B
    Walking Lunge 3x8 (each leg)
    Overhead Press 3x8
    Romanian Deadlift or Straight Leg Deadlift 3x8 (Use single leg version when you max out your weight)
    Lat Pulldowns or Pull/Chin ups (Once you reach 3x8 begin adding weight)
    Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset (I don’t care what ab work you do)

For this routine you’ll increase weight as you’re able to, though it should be roughly 5lbs added to each DB every other week for upper body lifts and 5lbs added to each DB weekly for lower body lifts. Keep in mind that without adequate equipment this program can only take you so far. You’ll eventually have to join a gym or get proper home equipment (barbell, power rack, adjustable bench, Olympic weights) to continue seeing results.

For those of you having trouble with lat pulldowns or chin-ups, you HAVE to be creative. No program is complete without a downward pull much like these exercises. Here are a few ideas to get those creative juices flowing.

1. Get a doorway pullup bar. They are relatively cheap and work well. If you can’t do a full pullup then use a chair or band to assist the movement until you’re able to do them. If you can’t afford a pullup bar then find something else to do them on like a low tree limb.

2. Get some bands and follow the instruction seen in this video. Pro tip- buy more band poundage than you think you need.

[Click to return to top]
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    What size dumbells do you have available to you?
    Up to 20kg. I also have a resistance band.