Page 19 of 183 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast
    Registered User HairyScandinavian's Avatar
    HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa View Post
    Pffft...

Not going ice fishing each winter is like going your whole life without ever getting a blow job from an amazon python!

Are you going to die?
    No

But you'll come to the end of your life and find a nagging feeling like you missed out on one of life's true joys!

fixed

brb, drill hole in ice and fall asleep waiting for little flag to tip up.

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by HairyScandinavian View Post
    fixed

brb, drill hole in ice and fall asleep waiting for little flag to tip up.
    Oh yeah the guys who go out to just get butt wasted and hangout on the ice that's what they experience... I've met guys who run into that kind of situation.

There is an active form of ice fishing though, where you work to find the right structure, get on it... Then put your Vexilar down and you can play the fish in live time.

It's straight up colored sonar so fine tuned that you can see your 1/64th oz jig as a little green light dropping down... And then Yellow and Orange lights approach. With time you learn to read what's going on down there by the different flashes of light and you can tell what's what and adjust your jigging technique accordingly.

It's sort of like an Ice Fishing Video Game.

You jig completely differently for a Walleye than you do a Crappie... And then all of a sudden out of now where this giant explosion of Red goes off and a Pike charges in from no where and inhales your lure so deep it's shredding out his butthole!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

My pronouns are Bro/Brah Procta's Avatar
    Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz Procta has the mod powerz
    Ice fishing is just a couple guys hanging out looking in deep dark holes....good times
    China is asshoe !!!

Super Straight HTC Crew, Pureblood Crew & a Jeepbrah (no ducks)

Florida is GOAT

Gen X: Humanity's last hope

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Procta View Post
    Ice fishing is just a couple guys hanging out looking in deep dark holes....good times
    I had a girl friend like that once.

I think in MN if you didn't have ice fishing you'd go crazy through the course of a winter.
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HairyScandinavian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm sure I'd learn to enjoy it if I were up there and had to.

I'm sure I'd learn to enjoy it if I were up there and had to.
    The only people who don't enjoy ice fishing are the people who don't have what I call "The Ice Fishing Gene."

It's more than just a general toughness gene... My Cousin who was in Marine Corp Recon at the time couldn't hack 3 days living on the ice... But he can let leeches chew a hole through the back side of his nut sack while sleeping standing up in a bog.

It's a pretty interesting slice of life out on the ice... It's a truly rare experience... I mean really there are only a handful of states where you really can Ice fish... And then only a small slice of people there.

I've had times out on an ice sheet where I was the only human being in sight.
    6'4"

I like being the only human being in sight. That's why I like my beach fishing so much, that beach is empty for stretches of 20+ miles some days you just keep driving and never see another truck. As for the ice, I think I'd enjoy "camping" out on the ice more than anything. I tend to enjoy the camping aspect of all my trips most, the fishing and hunting is just an excuse to be out there.

I like being the only human being in sight. That's why I like my beach fishing so much, that beach is empty for stretches of 20+ miles some days you just keep driving and never see another truck. As for the ice, I think I'd enjoy "camping" out on the ice more than anything. I tend to enjoy the camping aspect of all my trips most, the fishing and hunting is just an excuse to be out there.
    With the Baby due at the end of the ice season I'm basically staying on a little bay known for Crappies, some modest pike and an odd flash of Walleye... The bay is usually pretty crowded but still productive and is right off a road that is 2 miles from the highway and will only take me 25 minutes to get back home should my wife go into Labor.

So the days of Bush Fishing far out on the ice sheets is probably over for me for a couple of years.

I've got some great memories of being 8+ miles out on Mille Lacs on a nice sunny day in a small village of fish houses that was exclusively me and my buddy's... Tossing the football around and grill chicken wings.
    6'4"

Sonuva-B!

So I finished all my weekly goals early today.

My goal was to break my record for most contacts in a week... Hitting 256!

So I let myself off early at 2-ish.

Going sideways I went out to the barn to start pulling together a game plan and materials and clearing a work space for my 2013 hoop house / Greenhouse.

Kind of got a good idea going with the materials I have at hand.

Decided to go for a walk and chew it all over in my head to try to flesh out the details.

Wandered down into the pine forest, past my stand and through the trails... Got close to the deer stand at the edge of the pine forest and the hardwoods that I call "The Ewok Village."

I hear all of this tromping and big brown stuff blitzing.

From the melt spots on the ground it looks like there were SIX deer (Including the big Buck I named "Sausages") sleeping in a circle around The Ewok Village!

Why do I get the sinking feeling I'm going to have to embarrass myself with the bow!
    6'4"

Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hartski has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    13 days smoke free. My lungs are feeling better already. Unfortunately, I'm gaining weight at a rapid pace.
    The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited.

in omnia paratus

Originally Posted by Hartski View Post
    13 days smoke free. My lungs are feeling better already. Unfortunately, I'm gaining weight at a rapid pace.
    Well you're probably at the point to where your endurance level is going up... So you can up the intensity of your workouts to try and combat the snacking etc...

Keep up the good work Bro!
    6'4"

storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) storm1507 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Testing out the new setup....22 degrees with a heavy frost and heavy fog. Dad in the boat.

We caught enough keeper stripers to keep us happy.

Last edited by storm1507; 12-02-2012 at 06:24 AM.
    My current log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158720023&p=1173746753&posted=1#post1173746753

A step backwards is better than a setback.

If this (insert whatever trivial thing that is upsetting me) is the worst thing to happen today, I'm going to have a great day.

GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GREENFEATHER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Pffft...

Not going ice fishing each winter is like going your whole life without ever getting a blow job!

Are you going to die?
    No

But you'll come to the end of your life and find a nagging feeling like you missed out on one of life's true joys!

I'll have to miss out on that one.

graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000) graciejjbrazil is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For any Washington Brah's out there that have camped in the NW, this one is for you boy's.....Now they feel our pain!

Completely unbearable.

^ I'll have to watch that later at home.

Couple trout this weekend in the kayaks, but it was mostly a hanging out trip. The 8 year old took to the kayak for the first time like a natural. I was expecting to have to drag him around but it was not the case, he paddled his arse off and the wind was kicking too.

Originally Posted by storm1507 View Post
    Testing out the new setup....22 degrees with a heavy frost and heavy fog. Dad in the boat.

We caught enough keeper stripers to keep us happy.

So how did the Bimini do in regards to fogging up on the inside or frosting up on the outside in those temps?
    6'4"

^ I'll have to watch that later at home.

Couple trout this weekend in the kayaks, but it was mostly a hanging out trip. The 8 year old took to the kayak for the first time like a natural. I was expecting to have to drag him around but it was not the case, he paddled his arse off and the wind was kicking too.
    I need a weekend to get over my weekend.

With all the nice temps I took the opportunity to get started on some spring projects and final winter tune ups.

One of the tires on the fish house went dead flat, bead is off and it's burried in the mud so deep I'm going to have to be inventive to be able to slip a jack under her.

Left a Message for my Mechanic buddy. Hopefully he's on the plan!
    6'4"

I need a weekend to get over my weekend.

With all the nice temps I took the opportunity to get started on some spring projects and final winter tune ups.

One of the tires on the fish house went dead flat, bead is off and it's burried in the mud so deep I'm going to have to be inventive to be able to slip a jack under her.

Left a Message for my Mechanic buddy. Hopefully he's on the plan!
    I stopped for gas halfway to the coast, got back in and truck wouldn't start. Battery was dead as a doornail. I walked 1/2 mile to an auto parts store in this tiny town and carried a new battery back.

For the fish house, just dig a hole under it and put the jack in there.

I stopped for gas halfway to the coast, got back in and truck wouldn't start. Battery was dead as a doornail. I walked 1/2 mile to an auto parts store in this tiny town and carried a new battery back.

For the fish house, just dig a hole under it and put the jack in there.
    That would work... IF the ground wasn't frozen hard as a rock after the first inch!

I'm saving the whole Ice axe and Chisel routine for after my buddy has thrown his hands up in the air.

He's an old country boy turned construction worker and diesel mechanic.

I'm sure he's got a trick up his sleeve... Just have to do it on his time table... With a month yet to go before the ice is even close to thick enough we're not in a big rush... It's just if I could have gotten it yesterday I could have taken care of it in 40 degree temps... Now it will be some bull **** 5 degrees with blistering wind type of moment!
    6'4"

How the Alternator?

I've had batteries die in the driveway over a cold night and it was the battery by itself. But I've never heard of someone stopping and starting again and having it be just the battery without the Alernator starting to go.
    6'4"

|ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) |ceman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How the Alternator?

I've had batteries die in the driveway over a cold night and it was the battery by itself. But I've never heard of someone stopping and starting again and having it be just the battery without the Alernator starting to go.
    Ditto this. Have that alternator checked asap. Technically speaking, a car can run without a battery if the alternator is functioning - it provides more than enough juice (enough to run the car AND recharge the battery). If your battery is dead after the vehicle has been running for a period of time, then the alternator is not keeping it charged.

On the outside chance - the battery could be really really old and no longer hold a good charge, but this would be more evident after a cold start, not a warm start.
    It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. - Bill Murray

Mods - my avatar is locked by the admin and can't be changed.

That would work... IF the ground wasn't frozen hard as a rock after the first inch!

I'm saving the whole Ice axe and Chisel routine for after my buddy has thrown his hands up in the air.

He's an old country boy turned construction worker and diesel mechanic.

I'm sure he's got a trick up his sleeve... Just have to do it on his time table... With a month yet to go before the ice is even close to thick enough we're not in a big rush... It's just if I could have gotten it yesterday I could have taken care of it in 40 degree temps... Now it will be some bull **** 5 degrees with blistering wind type of moment!
    You're 6'4"/258, just reach down and lift it up man.

How the Alternator?

Originally Posted by |ceman View Post
    Ditto this. Have that alternator checked asap. Technically speaking, a car can run without a battery if the alternator is functioning - it provides more than enough juice (enough to run the car AND recharge the battery). If your battery is dead after the vehicle has been running for a period of time, then the alternator is not keeping it charged.

On the outside chance - the battery could be really really old and no longer hold a good charge, but this would be more evident after a cold start, not a warm start.
    I'm assuming it was running on the alternator the whole time, because that battery was deader than dead. When I got the new battery in and got to the coast we did the old unplug the battery test. When I detached the negative cable the truck noticeably struggled but kept running. I turned the radio and A/C on and it kept running, flipped the headlights on and it died. Last night I drove home ~3 hours with headlights and satellite radio running and A/C, if the alternator wasn't functioning I would think that battery would have been toast after 3 hours, no? Is there any way to have it properly load tested without removing it? I'm wondering if the alternator is only churning out enough power at high RPM and maybe is in the process of crapping out. Truck is a 2009 by the way.

Originally Posted by |ceman View Post

My last battery was REALLY bad... I was out of work at that time so I was stretching it out until my Tax check came in 2 weeks etc...

If it sat overnight I had to put it on the battery charger for a couple of hours to get enough juice in it to start it.

When I ran errands whether it was 2 quick stops or 5 in a day... it was fine, the alternator would keep the battery with a small enough amount of charge.

If I let it sit for 2 hours... It went back to stone dead.

However it there's a short somewhere that's causing drain, (Like my buddy had) On a dead battery the alernator could be perfectly fine the short is taking more charge than what's left the batteries capacity is.

But of course then it means you've got a short somewhere that you have to root around and find!
    6'4"

I can't visit any of the Walking Dead threads today.

Noa, you see my reply above ^^?

I can't visit any of the Walking Dead threads today.

Noa, you see my reply above ^^?
    Just posted in the OR thread now...

Are you sure you're clicking hard enough?
    6'4"

Just posted in the OR thread now...

Are you sure you're clicking hard enough?
    Typical lazy US English strikes again. When I say "can't" I mean "won't." I've got it on DVR and haven't seen it yet because I was out fishing.

You're 6'4"/258, just reach down and lift it up man.

I'm assuming it was running on the alternator the whole time, because that battery was deader than dead. When I got the new battery in and got to the coast we did the old unplug the battery test. When I detached the negative cable the truck noticeably struggled but kept running. I turned the radio and A/C on and it kept running, flipped the headlights on and it died. Last night I drove home ~3 hours with headlights and satellite radio running and A/C, if the alternator wasn't functioning I would think that battery would have been toast after 3 hours, no? Is there any way to have it properly load tested without removing it? I'm wondering if the alternator is only churning out enough power at high RPM and maybe is in the process of crapping out. Truck is a 2009 by the way.
    Yeah, in my experience it means your alternator is probably good still...

However it means you've been running all of the truck on straight alternator for a long time now... Which in the long run of the alternator shortens it's life span.

My buddy and I used to use our trucks to bush charge our batteries. We'd drive in to the primitive camp sites. 5-6 days in the woods with no power. The trolling batteries on the boat would be gone in a day or two... So we'd start the truck off the truck's main battery and then switch over to the trolling batteries and the truck's alternator would basically charge up the trolling batteries.

Worked just fine until we burned out my buddy's alternator on a 2 year old truck.

You could do the same thing to test how your alternator is doing... Take a discharged boat (Or other truck) battery, hook it onto your truck and let it idle for 2 hours... And if that battery has significant charge again (Usually seemed to be at half to 3/4 when I did it with my truck and a 5.4 motor) Then the Alternator is fine ATM and just don't do any more reckless stuff with it.

In MN the Cold tends to warn you that your battery is going... Because that first cold morning in September it doesn't start and batteries start flying off the shelves!
    6'4"

Typical lazy US English strikes again. When I say "can't" I mean "won't." I've got it on DVR and haven't seen it yet because I was out fishing.

Sounds like a pretty convenient excuse to cover up for some rather unmanly clicking strength!

They did say last night that New Years Day and New Years Eve they will have a marathon from Ep 1 to last night's in order!
    6'4"

You kidding, I'm a professional clicker! Literally that's what I do at work, click things all day... and type a little maybe.

You kidding, I'm a professional clicker! Literally that's what I do at work, click things all day... and type a little maybe.
    Oh... I just assumed that since you seem to hit Enter so few times that you were needing to strengthen a finger or two.

I think they cut all the mouse clicks and typing out of the training scenes in Rocky IV!
    6'4"