Marcus3415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Marcus3415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Marcus3415 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I PASSED! ACE Personal Trainer Tips & Such

Sup y'all? I PASSED!!!

I don't usually to post on these threads, but I am constantly reading them. I thought I'd give you guys some tips and **** for the exam for those looking to venture down the same path

A little about me--I'm 19, I go to business school, I've been lifting for 5 years and about 3 years ago I lost about 50 pounds, which started my fitness journey.

Stats: Bench 275, Dead 380, Squat 350, Mile 6:15, BB Row: 250, blah blah blah.

Alright so the exam!!

I purchased ACE's least expensive package for about $500, which at this point I realized was sufficient. This comes with the ACE Personal Trainer Manual, the Essentials of Exercise Science book, a two hour study review session video, and an exam voucher.

The exam is 150 questions & 3hrs, of which 125 are scored and the remaining are experimental. You need a 500/800 to pass (I got a 630).

So, I purchased the book in June of 2013, and read both the manual and the exercise science book front to back throughout that summer.

Things to note: The exercise science book will OVERWHELM THE **** OUT OF YOU. Don't worry, it comprises like 4% of the exam. The most important sections of this book are Ch 3 +4 (Exercise Physiology and Nutrition)

FOCUS ON THE MANUAL. This comprises the greatest portion of the exam. All of these chapters are important, but the most important is for sure Chapter 7 (stability&mobility).

The test is formatted as such: Client Interviews & Assessments (31%), Program Design & Implementation (33%), Program Design & Modifications (19%), and Professional Conduct, Safety, & Risk Management (17%).

Crucial subjects (TAKEN FROM PERSONAL-TRAINING-VOLLEYBALL.C O M)
    · Any questions you see about supplements, you always want to answer by discouraging your client take them. Giving them more information as to why they do not need to take them.
    · Eccentric vs. Concentric….Ex: what muscle is contracting eccentrically during a certain exercise???
    · Need to know how many grams/kg of fat, carbs, & protein (Carbs =4; Protein =4; Fat =9)
    · Know Client Assessments/Interviews…..the different phases of assessments (functional movement & cardiorespiratory training)
    · Know what assessments to give during each phase of exercise & what a client should be doing in certain phases
    · Know the Stages of the Client Trainer Relationship & when a client is in a certain stage vs. another
    · Know the “tell, show, do” motor learning technique
    · Know the TTM of Behavior Change & learn how to identify what stages people are in.
    · Familiarize yourself with the behavior change strategies (ex: stimulus control, written agreements/contracts, cognitive behavioral techniques, etc.)
    · Know what info you need to obtain from a client & what document you need to have a client sign.
    · 4 Stages of a Successful Client-Trainer Relationship (rapport, investigation, planning, and action) (understand rapport!!!!)
    · Know the different interviewing techniques (paraphrasing, reflecting, informing, etc.) so if you are given an example you can choose which technique is being used.
    · Know what all of the evaluation forms are (don’t get liability waiver & informed consent mixed up)
    · DON’T SKIM THROUGH CHAPTER 7 ….very important chapter!
    · Understand lordosis and kyphosis very well and what those lead to.
    · Understand Posterior Pelvic Tilt & Anterior Pelvic Tilt and what muscles are “tight”
    · Know the different shoulder positions & what muscles are suspected to be tight
    · Know the bend & lift screen, hurdle step screen, Thomas test, PSL raise test, shoulder flexion/extension, & should internal/external rotation test well. Understand what muscles are suspected to be tight & movement/limitations for each test.
    · Be very familiar with Pregnancy & Exercise!!!!!!!
    · For math: be able to calculate someone’s desired body weight & be able to calculate what percentage of carbs, protein, or fat is in a certain meal if given a food label.
    · Know the 3 site testing locations for both men and women during the body fat test & know hand positioning when holding the calipers.
    · Know how to evaluate & apply the results from the McGill’s Torso Muscular Endurance Test.
    · Know that strength tests are all 1-RM test (bench press, leg-press, & squat)…anaerobic power tests standing long jump, vertical jump, & kneeling overhead toss……anaerobic capacity test is the 300 yard shuttle run
    · Type I muscle fibers vs. Type II muscle fibers
    · Know how to design a program (reps, set, weight, etc.) for muscular endurance, muscular strength, or muscular hypertrophy
    · Know what to do and what is not appropriate when working with youth and young adults
    · Know exercises and low-back pain well
    · Percentage of Nutrient for your diet: Carbs = 45-65%; Protein =10-35%; Fat= 20-35%
    · Becker Health Belief Model & Wolf’s Law
    · BMI= Lean Body Weight / (100% - Desired % Body Fat)
    · Body & Altitude
    · Linear Periodization vs. Undulating Periodization
    · Macrocycle—Mesocycle--Microcycle
    · Fit’s & Posner 3 Stages of Learning = cognitive, associative, & autonomus (understand what each are and be able to give examples)
    · Adherence to training program after 6 months = 50%
    · Correct Squat Form (glute dominance vs. quad dominance)
    · Read the case studies like 2 or 3 times that are in the manual
    · Do the practice exams multiple times!!

Lastly, the most important, and I mean MOST IMPORTANT factor in passing is buying the ACE practice tests, and as well as the tests.com ACE practice test which has hundreds of similar questions. Without these tests, I would not have passed.

That's it guys!

Hope this helps, and good luck on your journey! I'm excited for all to come

Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Parias1126 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First, congratulations on passing the exam. I passed last Saturday and am super excited. I just ordered my books for the health coach certification. This is a great post! Thank you for sharing. I was looking for posts like this before sitting for the exam and couldn't find anything. I hope someone finds it informative and helpful.

okay guys..who farted?? OrangeRanger75's Avatar
    OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10) OrangeRanger75 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In. just got my books and plan on taking the test in 2/3 months.
    Journey to 98kg

All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.
    -Bruce Lee

" u gunna learn what a long dik looks like today" crew
    Doritos/Cheetos/Tostitos and Jalapenos crew
    Free the phucking trix rabbit crew

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good info for anyone taking the ACE exam.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Registered User Briiiiliantmate's Avatar
    Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Briiiiliantmate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    congratulations.
    'Real beauty is what's inside.' You know you are ugly if someone tells you this.

gregmurdock14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking You Rock

You're the man for sharing this information. I am scheduled to take the exam in July and I want to crush it. I have all of the practice tests and the manual. My practice scores are pretty decent but I don't want to leave anything to chance.

I will share that one study method that's helped is after I take a practice test, I go through the incorrect responses, read the explanations and if there are terms I don't know or can't pronounce then I google the body part under images and I type it into YouTube for a functional explanation. Hope this helps, and thanks for sharing.

red1prince has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks for this

I am studying for the ace certified personal trainer exam right now as we speak and to be honest I focused to much on the exercise science book more than the manual I am about to start chapter 7 now and now with reading this I know what is important and what isn't

edeedon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    He actually means Chapter 9. The new book's (5th addition) stability and mobility chapter is chapter 9, not chapter 7. He must have an older version of the book. I'm sure the content is the same, just make sure you're on the right chapter.

I'm taking my test in 2.5 hours. Wish me luck!

jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jrfuller13 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Congrats on passing! Thanks for taking the time to give us all the important information.
    "Self dicipline is the ability to make yourself do, what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not.."
    Semper Fi

gnunez951 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Congratulations on passing the test! I was recently researching which certification to start studying for and I ended picking ACE due to its low price compared to other organizations and this information helps out a lot thanks!

BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100) BasdGodd is not very well liked. (-100)
    Just a question, how respected is an ACE certification if one were to apply to a gym?

TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10) TAPenrod is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Congratulations on passing! I am also certified through ACE. The reason I chose ACE is because it so widely accepted. It is accredited, the name is recognized, and it's accepted at most any gym that you apply to. The certification is the first step and it'll help get you in the door but the education is really going to come from the experience you'll gain working with clients, making mistakes, and speaking with other trainers.

Congratulations again and good luck with your career.

AmberSkyeF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Congrats! I hope to take it in December, so this is incredibly helpful.

kotnorshah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Marcus3415 View Post
    Sup y'all? I PASSED!!!

I don't usually to post on these threads, but I am constantly reading them. I thought I'd give you guys some tips and **** for the exam for those looking to venture down the same path

A little about me--I'm 19, I go to business school, I've been lifting for 5 years and about 3 years ago I lost about 50 pounds, which started my fitness journey.

Stats: Bench 275, Dead 380, Squat 350, Mile 6:15, BB Row: 250, blah blah blah.

Alright so the exam!!

I purchased ACE's least expensive package for about $500, which at this point I realized was sufficient. This comes with the ACE Personal Trainer Manual, the Essentials of Exercise Science book, a two hour study review session video, and an exam voucher.

The exam is 150 questions & 3hrs, of which 125 are scored and the remaining are experimental. You need a 500/800 to pass (I got a 630).

So, I purchased the book in June of 2013, and read both the manual and the exercise science book front to back throughout that summer.

Things to note: The exercise science book will OVERWHELM THE **** OUT OF YOU. Don't worry, it comprises like 4% of the exam. The most important sections of this book are Ch 3 +4 (Exercise Physiology and Nutrition)

FOCUS ON THE MANUAL. This comprises the greatest portion of the exam. All of these chapters are important, but the most important is for sure Chapter 7 (stability&mobility).

The test is formatted as such: Client Interviews & Assessments (31%), Program Design & Implementation (33%), Program Design & Modifications (19%), and Professional Conduct, Safety, & Risk Management (17%).

Crucial subjects (TAKEN FROM PERSONAL-TRAINING-VOLLEYBALL.C O M)
    · Any questions you see about supplements, you always want to answer by discouraging your client take them. Giving them more information as to why they do not need to take them.
    · Eccentric vs. Concentric….Ex: what muscle is contracting eccentrically during a certain exercise???
    · Need to know how many grams/kg of fat, carbs, & protein (Carbs =4; Protein =4; Fat =9)
    · Know Client Assessments/Interviews…..the different phases of assessments (functional movement & cardiorespiratory training)
    · Know what assessments to give during each phase of exercise & what a client should be doing in certain phases
    · Know the Stages of the Client Trainer Relationship & when a client is in a certain stage vs. another
    · Know the “tell, show, do” motor learning technique
    · Know the TTM of Behavior Change & learn how to identify what stages people are in.
    · Familiarize yourself with the behavior change strategies (ex: stimulus control, written agreements/contracts, cognitive behavioral techniques, etc.)
    · Know what info you need to obtain from a client & what document you need to have a client sign.
    · 4 Stages of a Successful Client-Trainer Relationship (rapport, investigation, planning, and action) (understand rapport!!!!)
    · Know the different interviewing techniques (paraphrasing, reflecting, informing, etc.) so if you are given an example you can choose which technique is being used.
    · Know what all of the evaluation forms are (don’t get liability waiver & informed consent mixed up)
    · DON’T SKIM THROUGH CHAPTER 7 ….very important chapter!
    · Understand lordosis and kyphosis very well and what those lead to.
    · Understand Posterior Pelvic Tilt & Anterior Pelvic Tilt and what muscles are “tight”
    · Know the different shoulder positions & what muscles are suspected to be tight
    · Know the bend & lift screen, hurdle step screen, Thomas test, PSL raise test, shoulder flexion/extension, & should internal/external rotation test well. Understand what muscles are suspected to be tight & movement/limitations for each test.
    · Be very familiar with Pregnancy & Exercise!!!!!!!
    · For math: be able to calculate someone’s desired body weight & be able to calculate what percentage of carbs, protein, or fat is in a certain meal if given a food label.
    · Know the 3 site testing locations for both men and women during the body fat test & know hand positioning when holding the calipers.
    · Know how to evaluate & apply the results from the McGill’s Torso Muscular Endurance Test.
    · Know that strength tests are all 1-RM test (bench press, leg-press, & squat)…anaerobic power tests standing long jump, vertical jump, & kneeling overhead toss……anaerobic capacity test is the 300 yard shuttle run
    · Type I muscle fibers vs. Type II muscle fibers
    · Know how to design a program (reps, set, weight, etc.) for muscular endurance, muscular strength, or muscular hypertrophy
    · Know what to do and what is not appropriate when working with youth and young adults
    · Know exercises and low-back pain well
    · Percentage of Nutrient for your diet: Carbs = 45-65%; Protein =10-35%; Fat= 20-35%
    · Becker Health Belief Model & Wolf’s Law
    · BMI= Lean Body Weight / (100% - Desired % Body Fat)
    · Body & Altitude
    · Linear Periodization vs. Undulating Periodization
    · Macrocycle—Mesocycle--Microcycle
    · Fit’s & Posner 3 Stages of Learning = cognitive, associative, & autonomus (understand what each are and be able to give examples)
    · Adherence to training program after 6 months = 50%
    · Correct Squat Form (glute dominance vs. quad dominance)
    · Read the case studies like 2 or 3 times that are in the manual
    · Do the practice exams multiple times!!

Lastly, the most important, and I mean MOST IMPORTANT factor in passing is buying the ACE practice tests, and as well as the tests.com ACE practice test which has hundreds of similar questions. Without these tests, I would not have passed.

That's it guys!

Hope this helps, and good luck on your journey! I'm excited for all to come
    can u please send me the soft copies of manual and study material. have some money issue
    kotnorshah@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by Parias1126 View Post
    First, congratulations on passing the exam. I passed last Saturday and am super excited. I just ordered my books for the health coach certification. This is a great post! Thank you for sharing. I was looking for posts like this before sitting for the exam and couldn't find anything. I hope someone finds it informative and helpful.
    can u please send me the soft copies of manual and study material. have some money issue
    kotnorshah@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by gregmurdock14 View Post
    You're the man for sharing this information. I am scheduled to take the exam in July and I want to crush it. I have all of the practice tests and the manual. My practice scores are pretty decent but I don't want to leave anything to chance.

I will share that one study method that's helped is after I take a practice test, I go through the incorrect responses, read the explanations and if there are terms I don't know or can't pronounce then I google the body part under images and I type it into YouTube for a functional explanation. Hope this helps, and thanks for sharing.
    kotnorshah@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by edeedon View Post
    He actually means Chapter 9. The new book's (5th addition) stability and mobility chapter is chapter 9, not chapter 7. He must have an older version of the book. I'm sure the content is the same, just make sure you're on the right chapter.

I'm taking my test in 2.5 hours. Wish me luck!
    kotnorshah@yahoo.com

TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TaylorKelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This post is awesome thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVFjPasS3S42cXZWt2tb8aw - Check Out My Fitness Youtube Channel!

BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BoB0Tiller has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    for updated information on the ACE Personal Trainers Exam and additional blog posts and practice questions checkout practicequestions.net/ace