Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

shoulder labrum tear people

can these heal on its own over time? how long? i have had this injury for 3 months now as you can see in my previous threads, but its still not going away. it seems like when i do RC strengthening exercises it bothers it. if i do the cuban press, like i keep my arms bent at 90 degrees and dont move elbows and go forward then back up i feel like my right shoulder is hollow and dull pain, just doesnt feel like my left one. i cant do any presses without it agrevating it. the only thing linked to shoulders i can do is side lateral raises. i also do face pulls. i really dont wanna get surgery, but i had this problem i think before 3 years ago not as bad if i remember and it went away because i went to ortho got MRI and he said partial labrum tear. i never got surgery and like i said it went away. now it seems like i did something and its back, but this time its not going away.

Jackson732 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A labrum tear will not heal itself. The only way the the tear is fixed is with anchors that re attach the labrum ligament to the bone. I am one month out of labrum surgery and to tell you the truth it is a very long recovery (4-6 months), but it's the only way it will heal properly. The doctor and the physical therapist both told me that after the recovery period I will be able to lift again. Hope this helps.

mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude,

I have the same problem - I am sure you have seen me talking about this subject on the threads.

I have a torn labrum, the funny thing is that it hurt initially when I injured it. It still randomly gives me extreme pain but other times it does not hurt at all for a couple of days. I have the grinding/clicking sensation which is the absolute worst! I have full range of motion and can lift my arm above my head with no pain for the most part.

This injury happend around Thanksgiving and I have yet to go back to the gym.

My doc and phyiscal therapist want to avoid surgery. I let them know that I love to lift and I want to lift heavy and I just want to get back to my normal lifestyle. They suggested going back to my normal routine, doing PT, get back to gradual lifting and if you still have pain and what not then we can go ahead with the surgery.

For those who had the surgery, how long are you in a sling for? do you still have the grinding/clicking etc?

Thanks for the help

Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000) Envy87 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had a completely torn labrum, glenohumeral ligament, and some other injuries to my left shoulder. Looked around and found a good surgeon. I was in a sling for 3 months, and then 3 more months of physical therapy. A labrum won't heal if it's torn. It's cartilage. It tore just shy of a year ago, and it still gives me pain. The surgeon will use suture anchors drilled to your bone to secure the labrum back, and I had internal stiches for the rest of the stuff. It's a bad injury, and depending on how bad it's torn..I wouldn't expect to be back in the gym in less than 5 or 6 months.

paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by seriouslifter View Post
    i feel like my right shoulder is hollow and dull pain
    this might be inflamed capsule ligament. Any change in ROM? I wouldn't think a minor labrum tear would be that big of a deal unless the shoulder is dislocating, or you are doing something like pitching baseball that involves rapid acceleration / deceleration near the ROM endpoints.

seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) seriouslifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by paul0616 View Post
    this might be inflamed capsule ligament. Any change in ROM? I wouldn't think a minor labrum tear would be that big of a deal unless the shoulder is dislocating, or you are doing something like pitching baseball that involves rapid acceleration / deceleration near the ROM endpoints.
    i have full range of motion, how could my motion change if i didnt get any surgery yet. just lift the arm up in all directions. it feels hollow when i do that rotator cuff exercise the cuban press but i dont press up like military press. certain movements its pain. shoulder doesnt dislocate like i have to pop it back in. the thing is went i would just throw the baseball around sometime ago that always bothered my shoulder so i never just played catch or throw football alot, but now i cant imagine doing that it would get inflammed. i just want to get back to my dam presses. i feel like if i get surgery i will never be 100% because i got surgery on it its not like ur natural body anymore.

lets just say i could live with this for the rest of my life but then i really wouldnt be able to lift hard because even besides the presses, if i try to push myself in barbell curls i can feel it starting to aggravate the shoulder like inflammed, since the bicep tendon connects to it or something. does that tell you anything?

paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10) paul0616 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i have full range of motion, how could my motion change if i didnt get any surgery yet. just lift the arm up in all directions. it feels hollow when i do that rotator cuff exercise the cuban press but i dont press up like military press.
    an injury that results in inflammation can lead to scarring and subtle loss of ROM, causing distortion in shoulder mechanics.

i can feel it starting to aggravate the shoulder like inflammed, since the bicep tendon connects to it or something.
    I've read that when bicep tendon is involved, that hints at SLAP tear. Although I am not exactly sure what's structurally wrong in SLAP. I'd be interested to know if a labrum injury typically occurs in isolation, or whether its associated with inflammation.

BODYBUILDINGVA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tore my labrum and rotator a couple of years ago and had surgery Jan 2006......was in a sling for about 6 weeks...and then physical therapy until May....started prep that month and went on to do 5 contests later in the year....probably not a good idea....because it wasn't completely healed while posing from the pain I felt......

Today however...it feels fine......no pain at all.....

Just make sure you do the physical therapy....good luck

mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A SLAP tear is where the labrum is torn up by bicep tendon. Usually from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock, and there are several degrees of how bad it's injured.

Originally Posted by mkit8971 View Post
    A SLAP tear is where the labrum is torn up by bicep tendon. Usually from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock, and there are several degrees of how bad it's injured.
    Does such a shoulder dislocate easily?

Leafs93 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Labrum Tear

can these heal on its own over time? how long? i have had this injury for 3 months now as you can see in my previous threads, but its still not going away. it seems like when i do RC strengthening exercises it bothers it. if i do the cuban press, like i keep my arms bent at 90 degrees and dont move elbows and go forward then back up i feel like my right shoulder is hollow and dull pain, just doesnt feel like my left one. i cant do any presses without it agrevating it. the only thing linked to shoulders i can do is side lateral raises. i also do face pulls. i really dont wanna get surgery, but i had this problem i think before 3 years ago not as bad if i remember and it went away because i went to ortho got MRI and he said partial labrum tear. i never got surgery and like i said it went away. now it seems like i did something and its back, but this time its not going away.
    Does a labrum tear cause pain down the arm? After the initial perceived RC pain in my shoulder, my arm will ache. This is a recent thing with me and i wonder if I have aggravated what was just a RC strain by continuing to lift.

theres no pain for me down my arm its right in that shoulder dull

mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mu_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My physical therapist suggested that surgery is not mandatory. Surgery is mostly reserved for people who make their profession off of using their shoulders/arms (pitchers, construction workers, people who use it dailey, etc.)

Also, he said that surgery is normally reserved for people who experience alot of dislocations.

I just want to get rid of this grinding/clicking sensation and the random pain I experience.

I have began to start to take a Glucosomine (sp?) supplement, anyone take this to help the joints/cartilidge?

Anyone forgoe surgery? How is your shoulder today? and for those who have had surgery, how long is the process/pain? What does the whole process entail?

mbklyn1028 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbklyn1028 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbklyn1028 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbklyn1028 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbklyn1028 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbklyn1028 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbklyn1028 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mbklyn1028 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hey, i tore my labrum about 6 years ago wrestling in high school and it completely healed after a few months of PT. you dont need to rush to surgery. two of the doctors i went to wanted to go into my shoulder and two didnt. ive never had a problem with it since. definitely try PT first.

Registered User Redeem_Yourself's Avatar
    Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have a type 1 tear / fraying in my labrum

it just sucks when i sleep awkward... my right scapula starts hurting, my clavical clicks and it's just a bitch.... on other days its perfectly fine
    i can do overhead fine, but they sometimes aggreviate it
    i can't do upright rows

i have set up an appointment with a surgeon and will see what he has to say

bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigboy83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ive read some of the posts here and just wanted to add my two cents. i had a slap repair and distal clavicular excision perfomed on oct 28, 2008. first, although pt alone can do wonders and may get you to where you personally want to be, a slap tear WILL NOT heal on its own. although time and stabilizing excercises will help, the tissue itself does not have adequate blood supply to up and reattach itself to your glenoid. if you have a slap tear and dont get it repaired, you likely will always have some limitations/problems with certain ranges of motion. the degree of the tear will also play a big role here. please understand i am not trying to tell anybody what to do, it really just depends on your personal long term goals as to whether or not you get it repaired bc it is an elective procedure. that stated, at roughly four months post op, i have really never left the weight room. for the first three months i simply did legs and abs. always following the advice of my doc and pt, i have SLOWLY and CAREFULLY been reincorporating upper body back into my workouts, and my pressing workouts are already better than they were post-injury/pre-op. anyways, like i said everyone is different and has different goals. for me, going from repping 315 on the flat bench to not being able to lift the bar off my chest was simply unacceptable, so i got cut. what i can tell you is if you do decide to get it done, do it all the way. follow the doc's & pt's orders EXACTLY, stay healthy, and dont feel like you need to gain it back all at once bc you dont, and if you try to u will not be happy with the results! hope this helps, good luck.

Originally Posted by bigboy83 View Post
    ive read some of the posts here and just wanted to add my two cents. i had a slap repair and distal clavicular excision perfomed on oct 28, 2008. first, although pt alone can do wonders and may get you to where you personally want to be, a slap tear WILL NOT heal on its own. although time and stabilizing excercises will help, the tissue itself does not have adequate blood supply to up and reattach itself to your glenoid. if you have a slap tear and dont get it repaired, you likely will always have some limitations/problems with certain ranges of motion. the degree of the tear will also play a big role here. please understand i am not trying to tell anybody what to do, it really just depends on your personal long term goals as to whether or not you get it repaired bc it is an elective procedure. that stated, at roughly four months post op, i have really never left the weight room. for the first three months i simply did legs and abs. always following the advice of my doc and pt, i have SLOWLY and CAREFULLY been reincorporating upper body back into my workouts, and my pressing workouts are already better than they were post-injury/pre-op. anyways, like i said everyone is different and has different goals. for me, going from repping 315 on the flat bench to not being able to lift the bar off my chest was simply unacceptable, so i got cut. what i can tell you is if you do decide to get it done, do it all the way. follow the doc's & pt's orders EXACTLY, stay healthy, and dont feel like you need to gain it back all at once bc you dont, and if you try to u will not be happy with the results! hope this helps, good luck.
    yeah i hear ya, i just went to ortho today and getting MRI soon. he heard the click when bring my right arm across my body to the left and then its a little painful. its probably a SLAP. hasnt healed its been over 3 months now. if i get surgery i dont care im going all the way 100% i cant even do chest or shoulders presses

yeah i hear ya, i just went to ortho today and getting MRI soon. he heard the click when bring my right arm across my body to the left and then its a little painful. its probably a SLAP. hasnt healed its been over 3 months now. if i get surgery i dont care im going all the way 100% i cant even do chest or shoulders presses
    I'm curious if the inability to do chest / shoulder press is because of a labrum defect, or impingement. Do doctors routinely "decompress" the rotator cuff when doing a labrum fix?

SLAP tear is normallay associated with the bicep correct?

I dont think I have such a tear.

Does anyone take glucosomine supplements to try and help the joints?

Originally Posted by paul0616 View Post
    I'm curious if the inability to do chest / shoulder press is because of a labrum defect, or impingement. Do doctors routinely "decompress" the rotator cuff when doing a labrum fix?
    i have no idea really on this, i have been trying to research, but if i have this click and it hurt when he did that certain movement on my shoulder then that should be the diagnose, but mri will tell alot more

Originally Posted by mu_warrior View Post

im 2 weeks in from usplabs cissus rx just trying anything before surgery and it honestly has done nothing. 4 caps a day. i read obviously these supps will not fix a labrum tear. that needs to be anchored and reattached or something

RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mu_warrior View Post

No, it's not. The bicep tendon actually filters in and becomes the labrum but a labrum tear does not have to associate with a bicep tendon problem. Mine did not.
    My recovery journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=123572831

RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RyanGrob has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like how everyone tries to avoid surgery. This type of surgery is like an 85-90% success rate. It's not that serious. It's not life threatening. Rehab is a pain, but it could be a hell of a lot worse. Just get the surgery already people.

Originally Posted by RyanGrob View Post
    I like how everyone tries to avoid surgery. This type of surgery is like an 85-90% success rate. It's not that serious. It's not life threatening. Rehab is a pain, but it could be a hell of a lot worse. Just get the surgery already people.
    yeah i probably need this fixed. how do people function with jobs though if you get surgery? i just want to be 100% repaired so like nothng ever happened, but will never know until i get it

Registered User Redeem_Yourself's Avatar
    Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50) Redeem_Yourself will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No, it's not. The bicep tendon actually filters in and becomes the labrum but a labrum tear does not have to associate with a bicep tendon problem. Mine did not.
    do you mind describing your case exactly?

Originally Posted by Redeem_Yourself View Post
    do you mind describing your case exactly?
    Tore my labrum in March 2007 doing a decline bench press.

Saw doctor in August 2007.

Received two cortisone shots; no help.

MR Arthrogram was done, no tear was found

PT was done, no help.

Exploratory surgery was done Jan 10th 2008. They found a tear and completed a SLAP repair.

Started PT 3 weeks after surgery/out of sling.

Done with PT in 6 weeks.

Started lifting.

Able to lift heavy around 5-6 months.

No pain; recovered with a stronger shoulder.

mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkit8971 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Surgery really is the only way to go. I believe I have a labral tear (MRI hasn't been read yet) and i will elect to have surgery if I do indeed have a tear. Even when recovered I will be changing my workouts to avoid any further injuries. Just got to lift smart people.

Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dont Judge Me has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Edit: didnt see this post

What kind of symptoms did you have with your injury? I hurt my shoulder doing flat bench. I'm in the same boat you were basically.

Tore my labrum in March 2007 doing a decline bench press.

Saw doctor in August 2007.

Received two cortisone shots; no help.

MR Arthrogram was done, no tear was found

PT was done, no help.

Exploratory surgery was done Jan 10th 2008. They found a tear and completed a SLAP repair.

Started PT 3 weeks after surgery/out of sling.

Done with PT in 6 weeks.

Started lifting.

Able to lift heavy around 5-6 months.

No pain; recovered with a stronger shoulder.
    Last edited by methodical; 03-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.
    www.freeworkoutlog.com - U Aware?