clumsypotato is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Am I doing too much for glutes?

hello all! i'm new to this website so i hope i'm posting this in the right place lol

After seeing several posts about excessive volume from Bret Contreras's instagram, I've been wondering whether or not I'm doing too much volume for glutes. I'm currently doing 50-60 sets per week for glutes and it feels like my glutes are barely growing even tho my lifts are going up (slow but increasing).

I wonder if any of you peeps managed to see better results from reducing volume (less is more?)? Thinking of cutting it down but because I'm so used to doing high volume, I fear that I will not grow :// please help!

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by clumsypotato View Post
    hello all! i'm new to this website so i hope i'm posting this in the right place lol

After seeing several posts about excessive volume from Bret Contreras's instagram, I've been wondering whether or not I'm doing too much volume for glutes. I'm currently doing 50-60 sets per week for glutes and it feels like my glutes are barely growing even tho my lifts are going up (slow but increasing).

I wonder if any of you peeps managed to see better results from reducing volume (less is more?)? Thinking of cutting it down but because I'm so used to doing high volume, I fear that I will not grow :// please help!
    It's very difficult to change the natural shape of your glutes. It sounds like you're trying to increase roundness or fullness.

How long have you been training for? Not just glutes or lower body, but your entire body? That would give us a better indication of where you are fitness-wise

Where are you with the basics, such as back BB squats, deadlifts (if you practice them), benching, etc..
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sounds like a bit much to me. I'm reading his new book Glute Lab, and he recommends 30-36 glute exercises over 3-6 workouts per week.

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've been wondering whether or not I'm doing too much volume for glutes. I'm currently doing 50-60 sets per week for glutes and it feels like my glutes are barely growing even tho my lifts are going up (slow but increasing).

I wonder if any of you peeps managed to see better results from reducing volume (less is more?)? Thinking of cutting it down but because I'm so used to doing high volume, I fear that I will not grow
    Glutes are like any other muscle, you can only work them so much and they need time to recover. How are you allocating the volume throughout the week and what exercises are you doing?

50-60 sets sounds really high IMO - esp if you also do squats and DLs and aren't counting that for glutes - and it wouldn't surprise me if they actually got smaller as a result

Assuming you're giving an all out effort in your workouts, I would think anything above 30 would be hard to recover from. But everyone is diff, so if you're used to high volume you should do what works for you. In this case, it sounds like the high volume isn't working so you likely could benefit from bringing the volume down a bit.

I defer to others on exact volume they've seen good results with.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I can't think of any professional training program out there that would have a person doing 50-60 sets for glutes. How heavy are you lifting where you're able to get through 50-60 sets?! Way too much and it's not needed.

If you're trying to build you need a calorie surplus...without it nothing grows.

Get on a proven program, lift heavy and stay consistent.

Good luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    It's very difficult to change the natural shape of your glutes. It sounds like you're trying to increase roundness or fullness.

How long have you been training for? Not just glutes or lower body, but your entire body? That would give us a better indication of where you are fitness-wise

Where are you with the basics, such as back BB squats, deadlifts (if you practice them), benching, etc..
    Only started training last year March but routine was a bit messy and not at all optimal. I've been focusing on deadlifts the past few months and have recently switched my focus back to squats. I do bench on my upper days too!

Originally Posted by fitfanatic123 View Post
    Sounds like a bit much to me. I'm reading his new book Glute Lab, and he recommends 30-36 glute exercises over 3-6 workouts per week.
    Yep I’ve been reading his new book too. Interesting read! How are you finding it?

Anyways, I actually counted the number of sets he gives in his BBB program and they usually total up to around 50+ 60+ sets. Of course, some sets are just bodyweight and bands. Do you think if I perform some of my sets light (going more for pump), it will work better?

Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Glutes are like any other muscle, you can only work them so much and they need time to recover. How are you allocating the volume throughout the week and what exercises are you doing?

50-60 sets sounds really high IMO - esp if you also do squats and DLs and aren't counting that for glutes - and it wouldn't surprise me if they actually got smaller as a result

Assuming you're giving an all out effort in your workouts, I would think anything above 30 would be hard to recover from. But everyone is diff, so if you're used to high volume you should do what works for you. In this case, it sounds like the high volume isn't working so you likely could benefit from bringing the volume down a bit.

I defer to others on exact volume they've seen good results with.
    I just switched up my routine last week and currently doing 3 main lower days with 2 lighter ones (15 sets~ and 9 sets~ respectively). Even on my main days, I cycle the intensity so that they’re not all so fatiguing and I still feel good the next day. On the lighter days I go more for the pump.

My workouts consist of exercises like hip thrusts, glute bridges, back extension (glute focused), abductions, squat patterns, and RDLs with different intensity on different days.

Hmmm I’ve thought of switching up to lower volume but I talk myself out of it each time :/

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    I can't think of any professional training program out there that would have a person doing 50-60 sets for glutes. How heavy are you lifting where you're able to get through 50-60 sets?! Way too much and it's not needed.

If you're trying to build you need a calorie surplus...without it nothing grows.

Get on a proven program, lift heavy and stay consistent.

Good luck!
    Not all sets are heavy sets! Some are more so for the pump (light weight high reps).

I’ve been thinking of hopping onto Bret Contreras’s program (BBB) but again, the low volume is making me hesitant. Do you have any thoughts on that program? Or perhaps heard of people’s experience on it?

Thanks!

etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Only started training last year March but routine was a bit messy and not at all optimal. I've been focusing on deadlifts the past few months and have recently switched my focus back to squats. I do bench on my upper days too!
    How much do you weigh vs. how much can you back barbel squat? Even though you're fairly new to lifting, that gives us an idea of your current lower body strength. The stronger you are, the more muscle you can potentially build. So, effective volume, on any given body part, would result in improved muscle mass/body composition by using heavier weight! This may take more time; it's a very individual thing building overall muscle mass, and especially for women with different body types (i.e; the pear or hourglass shape vs. apple shape- fat storage plays a role, as well).

I think it's great you don't neglect upper body! Have you taken a "peep" at the well-structured programs like Fierce 5, 5/3/1...just a couple of examples of how you can progressively build.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    How much do you weigh vs. how much can you back barbel squat? Even though you're fairly new to lifting, that gives us an idea of your current lower body strength. The stronger you are, the more muscle you can potentially build. So, effective volume, on any given body part, would result in improved muscle mass/body composition by using heavier weight! This may take more time; it's a very individual thing building overall muscle mass, and especially for women with different body types (i.e; the pear or hourglass shape vs. apple shape- fat storage plays a role, as well).

I think it's great you don't neglect upper body! Have you taken a "peep" at the well-structured programs like Fierce 5, 5/3/1...just a couple of examples of how you can progressively build.
    Currently weighing 54kg and squatting around 60kg. It's been awhile since I last squatted heavy so I'm taking it slow first. The heaviest I squatted was 72.5kg at around the same weight I believe. I have to say though, after a cut I did at the start of year, my squat took a heavy hit and I went from be able to squat 60kg for 8-10 reps to barely 3 or 4 reps. My other compound lifts were still increasing though.

Yep definitely can't neglect the upper body! I want it all Haha! I've heard of it but never actually took the time to check it out. I'll be sure to take a look!

Currently weighing 54kg and squatting around 60kg. It's been awhile since I last squatted heavy so I'm taking it slow first. The heaviest I squatted was 72.5kg at around the same weight I believe. I have to say though, after a cut I did at the start of year, my squat took a heavy hit and I went from be able to squat 60kg for 8-10 reps to barely 3 or 4 reps. My other compound lifts were still increasing though.

Yep definitely can't neglect the upper body! I want it all Haha! I've heard of it but never actually took the time to check it out. I'll be sure to take a look!
    Those are really good stats for less than a year of (clumsy) training!! You sound like you have a lot of potential. I am assuming your form is good and you're hitting below parallel. That's really impressive!

So, it also sounds like you've discovered the temporary pitfalls of eliminating too many calories. I admit I've never done cutting and bulking cycles, so my energy levels and strength were pretty consistent throughout the years. But it still sounds like you were able hit some good numbers in a short period of time. Well done!

Now go eat some sweet potatoes (complex carbs for energy) while you're checking out the stickies. You can have it all if you're consistent! Good luck!

doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doreencairns76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Depends

I do about 40 sets on glutes a week sometimes more. If your not seeing changes and havent been for a while I would switch it up either focus on intensity heavy weight low reps , or time under tension holding the contractions adding in supersets and dropsets to shock the muscle.