Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000)

Prolozone Therapy

I had my first prolozone injection today and I have to say I'm impressed so far. I've had 3 knee surgeries and my knee always hurts, especially when I straighten it....so, after having too many cortizone shots, I decided to try this. It feels really full right now, but when I walked down my stairs it was amazing! It felt like the tin man after he got oiled! I am going to do light cardio right now (I can do anything I normally do for a couple of days, then move up according to tolerance). We'll see how it goes! Maybe it will be the first time in many years that I can do it pain-free!!!
    kathyfit
    NGA Figure Pro
    Bikini Universe Classic 2006-1st
    Figure Universe Classic 2010-1st
    Team Tight Curves

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kathyfit View Post
    I had my first prolozone injection today and I have to say I'm impressed so far. I've had 3 knee surgeries and my knee always hurts, especially when I straighten it....so, after having too many cortizone shots, I decided to try this. It feels really full right now, but when I walked down my stairs it was amazing! It felt like the tin man after he got oiled! I am going to do light cardio right now (I can do anything I normally do for a couple of days, then move up according to tolerance). We'll see how it goes! Maybe it will be the first time in many years that I can do it pain-free!!!
    Is prolozone that stuff made from rooster combs?

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Old_Swole View Post
    Is prolozone that stuff made from rooster combs?
    that was a serious question. I use to work with a guy that got an injection in the knee every now and then and the stuff was made from rooster comb. He called them chicken shots my dad has bad knees and I was telling him about these "chicken shots" but I thought it would be better if he asked his doctor about them using the correct name.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Thumbs up hope it keeps working for you

I have no experience with this, and I'd like to hear how well it continues to work out for you. Please keep us posted.

btw, you have the best looking bad knee I've ever seen........ just say'in.

Good Luck!
    Was friends with Methuselah

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Are you talking about Prolotherapy?
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000) kathyfit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Are you talking about Prolotherapy?
    No...Prolotherapy uses sugar, Prolozone thereapy uses oxygen.

that was a serious question. I use to work with a guy that got an injection in the knee every now and then and the stuff was made from rooster comb. He called them chicken shots my dad has bad knees and I was telling him about these "chicken shots" but I thought it would be better if he asked his doctor about them using the correct name.
    Its not a "chicken shot" The main thing that helps repair is the pure oxygen.

Originally Posted by Old-Time-Lifter View Post
    I have no experience with this, and I'd like to hear how well it continues to work out for you. Please keep us posted.

btw, you have the best looking bad knee I've ever seen........ just say'in.

Good Luck!
    Thanks! Here's my thoughts a day post-shot......

Today my knee feels great. Wake up and walk down the stair without pain. I can still feel the grinding when I put my hand on my knee, but I can't feel it in my knee. Cardio was different.....I just took it easy and did recument bike for 20 and walked for 10. Walking is where I noticed the most difference....I was able to straighten my leg completely and push off my toes the way you're supposed to! That was great, but my calf was really cramping last night (I guess from using it the way its supposed to be used for the first time in 3 or 4 years).

There were signed pics of some of the US ski team on the wall at the clinic, they are treated by this doc....that made me feel better about the shot for some reason....
    kathyfit
    NGA Figure Pro
    Team Tight Curves

IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10) IronCity151 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Is prolozone just an alternative to cortisone for pain? Or is it supposed to help rebuild cartilage? I had micro-fracture surgery (to help re-build cartilage) on my knee about 7 years ago and it helped me get to about 90% over time, but I'd love to get back to 100% some day...

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If it's good enough for Kathy-sugar-babe, it's good enough for me
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This piqued my interest. I'm always interested in alternative therapies, etc. so...

"Prolozone is a homeopathic/oxygen injection technique developed and pioneered by Dr. Shallenberger. It is excellent for all forms of musculo-skeletal and joint pain including chronic neck and back pain, rotator cuff injuries, degenerative and arthritic hips and knees, degenerated discs, and shoulder and elbow pain. The good thing about Prolozone is that because it actually corrects the pathology of the disorder, there is a 75% chance for the chronic pain sufferer to becoming permanently pain free."

http://www.antiagingmedicine.com/procedures.htm

Thanks Kathy!

Its been 3 days since my shot, and the "broken glass" feeling is still gone, but my knee now hurts in new ways. I have pain in the back of it and my lower IT band is very tight. I'm wondering if its just sore from actually being able to use it.
    kathyfit
    NGA Figure Pro
    Team Tight Curves

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I may ask my Doctor about this if Physical Therapy doesn't work for my shoulder. Seems less intrusive than Cortisal. I read up on the Prolozone a bit,..I'll have to check insurance covers it.
    2009 NGA Masters Pro Bodybuilder and Athlete.

"I dont stop when Im tired,..I stop when Im done"

Originally Posted by stayfit2008 View Post
    I may ask my Doctor about this if Physical Therapy doesn't work for my shoulder. Seems less intrusive than Cortisal. I read up on the Prolozone a bit,..I'll have to check insurance covers it.
    My doc does bill it to insurance.....we'll see if they pay. (fingers crossed)
    kathyfit
    NGA Figure Pro
    Team Tight Curves

My doc does bill it to insurance.....we'll see if they pay. (fingers crossed)
    OMG!!! and I never even read what you wrote!

Didn't get past the avi

HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10) HRK (herb) is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The "chicken shot" stuff is called Hylan G-F 20 ( trade name is supartz). It is manufactured from the cartilage of rooster combs. It has been used in Europe for about 10 years. I did a paper on it in chiropractic college about 6 months ago.

The treatment is 3-6 shots, once per week for 5 weeks. It costs about $500 per shot (my insurance didn't cover it). They basically freeze your knee, aspirated any existing fluid in the joint and replace it with supartz.

The studies I reviewed found that with a 5 shot protocol, patients had significant improvement when compared to cortisone. The Hylan is slower acting than cortisone but patient reported to be nearly pain free after a year. cortisone usually wears off in about 3 months and you would be hard pressed to find a doctor to give you more than two per year because of its destructive side effects. Supartz doesn't have those effects.

you can search pubmed for the papers.... It is good stuff for arthritis patients especially the knee, shoulder and ankle.
    Last edited by HRK (herb); 11-03-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by HRK (herb) View Post
    The "chicken shot" stuff is called Hylan G-F 20 ( trade name is supartz). It is manufactured from the cartilage of rooster combs. It has been used in Europe for about 10 years. I did a paper on it in chiropractic college about 6 months ago.

The treatment is 3-6 shots, once per week for 5 weeks. It costs about $500 per shot (my insurance didn't cover it). They basically freeze your knee, aspirated any existing fluid in the joint and replace it with supartz.

The studies I reviewed found that with a 5 shot protocol, patients had significant improvement when compared to cortisone. The Hylan is slower acting than cortisone but patient reported to be nearly pain free after a year. cortisone usually wears off in about 3 months and you would be hard pressed to find a doctor to give you more than two per year because of its destructive side effects. Supartz doesn't have those effects.

you can search pubmed for the papers.... It is good stuff for arthritis patients especially the knee, shoulder and ankle.
    Thanks Herb

Didn't get past the avi

The prolozone therapy shots cost $125 per shot and you need 1-7 shots every 1-2 weeks. The results can be a permanent fix to the pain.....again crossing fingers!! My knee still feels great walking down stairs and better doing extensions, but I still have pain doing lunges.
    kathyfit
    NGA Figure Pro
    Team Tight Curves

Thumbs up

I put my knee through the ultimate test this weekend. I did something that usually causes me so much pain, it takes me about 10-15 minutes before I can straighten it all the way and walk without a limp....travel/fly.

I have to say that it did still hurt, but about 50% less than normal....and I was walking normal by the time I stepped into the concorse. Yea!!!!

I also competed and I was able to wear those high heals with much less pain.....soooooo, that decided it for me. I am calling to schedule my next shot tomorrow!!
    kathyfit
    NGA Figure Pro
    Team Tight Curves

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm going to request this shot to my Dr. during my visit with him tomorrow!! Thanks Kathy!
    2009 NGA Masters Pro Bodybuilder and Athlete.

"I dont stop when Im tired,..I stop when Im done"

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Really glad you are feeling better, Kathy. There is only one problem with you feeling much better, and that is, you might not post anymore

Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

OK....second shot done and it didn't hurt nearly as much as the first one. The "broken glass" feeling wasn't there this morning when I stretched and extending my leg only has a slight pain to it. I guess this will even improve more in the next few days. I am so glad this is helping and I'd like let people know about this technique that may have similar degeneration problems. They are not paying me for this, but that'd be nice!

My doc's website is: www.curingarthritis.com
    kathyfit
    NGA Figure Pro
    Team Tight Curves

Thumbs up

I recently had my followup visit withthe doc and things look great....more importatnly, they FEEL GREAT! My knee is feeling so much better now! I can do lunges without a problem and squats and stairs and.... I do still feel a bit of a pinch when I do leg extensions, but not nearly as bad as before!

Totally recommend this if you're in pain!!!
    kathyfit
    NGA Figure Pro
    Team Tight Curves

freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I recently had my followup visit withthe doc and things look great....more importatnly, they FEEL GREAT! My knee is feeling so much better now! I can do lunges without a problem and squats and stairs and.... I do still feel a bit of a pinch when I do leg extensions, but not nearly as bad as before!

Thanks so much for posting this topic! I have a shoulder with severe osteoarthritis and avascular necrosis. Tried Prolotherapy, Chiropractic, massage therapy and cortisone injections to no avail. I will now reaearch the heck out of this! :-) Stayfit, please post results from the effect it has on your shoulder if you get them. Thanks again...
    ”Nothing in the world can take the place of
    Persistence.
    Talent will not; nothing is more common than
    unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a
    proverb.
    Education will not; the world is full of educated
    derelicts.
    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
    The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will
    solve the problems of the human race.”
    --Calvin Coolidge

theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Glad this is working for you but if I may, you LIVE IN IDAHO!! If you want a more permanent solution then the clear solution is to move to Florida - preferably next door to me.

All kidding aside, my right knee is without an ACL - completely torn some 30 years ago and never fixed. Without fail, the few weeks of cold weather - like NOW - is when I experience that "glass" feeling you describe or stated differently, like the oil has been removed from the joint. The viscosity of synovial fluid is affected by cold weather (along with barometric pressure) and in effect, results in less effective lubrication for the joints; much in the same way that engine oil provides less protection from friction the thicker it gets.

Does the weather really affect arthritis? http://www.med.nyu.edu/medicine/asse...1-06-15-09.pdf

Most physicians have encountered patients who claim that their arthritic symptoms act up with changing weather conditions. This common complaint is far from new: even Hippocrates wrote about the effects of hot and cold winds on people?s health. In fact, surveys have demonstrated that upwards of 90% of patients believe that weather plays a role in their arthritic pain. Some arthritis sufferers assert that they can predict the weather, as storm systems are often heralded by joint pain flares. This belief has become so commonplace that even weather-reporting services have developed arthritis indices to accompany daily forecasts.

Some of the theories to support the association between weather and arthritis relate pressure and temperature to direct effects on joint biomechanics. Increased atmospheric pressure can increase intraarticular pressure, leading to pain. An example of this is the joint pain secondary to compression that deep-sea divers experience.1 Similarly, lower temperature can affect the compliance of articular structures and synovial fluid viscosity, making joints stiffer. Another proposed mechanism is the fact that temperature and pressure are known to sensitize pain receptors in the densely innervated periarticular structures.

freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10) freediverchuck is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by theKurp View Post
    Without fail, the few weeks of cold weather - like NOW - is when I experience that "glass" feeling you describe or stated differently, like the oil has been removed from the joint.
    And you're in Florida?! Yea those overnight lows of 68 must be brutal!!! Hehe :-)
    Persistence.
    proverb.
    derelicts.
    --Calvin Coolidge

theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by freediverchuck View Post
    And you're in Florida?! Yea those overnight lows of 68 must be brutal!!! Hehe :-)
    I wish! Right now it's 34 and tonight's low will be mid-20's. Global warming my @ss.

Originally Posted by theKurp View Post
    I wish! Right now it's 34 and tonight's low will be mid-20's. Global warming my @ss.
    Hehe, yea daytime high here IS mid-20s. I'm all about this global warming thing! Bring it! hah Sorry, back on topic now.... :-)
    Persistence.
    proverb.
    derelicts.
    --Calvin Coolidge

Romacuac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Hi I am in Texas. Do you know where I can get this shot or who can apply this shot?

Y
    Originally Posted by HRK (herb) View Post

Hi I am in Texas. Do you know where I can get this shot or who can apply this shot?

I just had my 3rd shot after several years of feeling great! I tweeked my knee while skiing in January, and thought I was going to have to have surgery again. I was showing all the symptoms of torn meniscus and the swelling in my knee would not go down. When I went in for the shot, I talked about a possible meniscus tear along with confirmed chondromalacia. The nurse said that the shot can also help repair a torn meniscus!!! Yay! I am 8 weeks out from my next competition, so I need this to work again for me!
    kathyfit
    NGA Figure Pro
    Team Tight Curves

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I just had my 3rd shot after several years of feeling great! I tweeked my knee while skiing in January, and thought I was going to have to have surgery again. I was showing all the symptoms of torn meniscus and the swelling in my knee would not go down. When I went in for the shot, I talked about a possible meniscus tear along with confirmed chondromalacia. The nurse said that the shot can also help repair a torn meniscus!!! Yay! I am 8 weeks out from my next competition, so I need this to work again for me!
    Good to see you around again! Best wishes to you on your upcoming comp! Knock'em dead!
    Was friends with Methuselah