jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)

Did HIIT For The First Time

I've always heard about how great HIIT was, vs steady-state cardio. I could never bring myself to try it because it just sounded so freakin' hard. Well, the weather is getting colder and I'm starting to have to move my cardio sessions indoors, which means stationary training.

I have a spin bike and I'm an avid rider. So, to cut my session shorter, I finally bit the bullet and gave HIIT a shot. Here's what I did:

5 min. warmup
    1 min sprint, 1 min cooldown (x7)
    1 min sprint
    5 min cooldown

My peak HR was 93-94% for the sprints, and would drop down into the low 80% range for the cooldowns.

Total caloric burn according to my HR monitor was 361. On longer bike rides (say an hour in spin class), I have exceeded 1000 calories in a 1-hour session.

Those sprints were pretty brutal. I'd have 15-20 seconds left on a sprint and my legs would just be screaming. I mixed it up, some sprints were seated and others were standing. I'd crank up the resistance on the bike and go all out. By the time my 1 min cooldown was over, I was ready to go again.

The session flew by. Understandably, because you're always changing what you're doing. Also, I didn't feel as run down when I was finished as I do after a longer steady-state ride.

I did this on sore legs (yesterday was leg day). The DOMS usually disappears for my Tuesday cardio session, then comes back a few hours later with a vengeance. I'm really feeling it now!

Anyway, did I do it right?

I do 2 cardio session per week. If I do HIIT for both sessions, is that ideal for muscle gains? What about the cardiovascular benefits of HIIT vs steady-state? Am I going to lose anything by giving up steady-state cardio through the winter?

bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bobs7447 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jdtemple View Post
    I've always heard about how great HIIT was, vs steady-state cardio. I could never bring myself to try it because it just sounded so freakin' hard. Well, the weather is getting colder and I'm starting to have to move my cardio sessions indoors, which means stationary training.

I have a spin bike and I'm an avid rider. So, to cut my session shorter, I finally bit the bullet and gave HIIT a shot. Here's what I did:

5 min. warmup
    1 min sprint, 1 min cooldown (x7)
    1 min sprint
    5 min cooldown

My peak HR was 93-94% for the sprints, and would drop down into the low 80% range for the cooldowns.

Total caloric burn according to my HR monitor was 361. On longer bike rides (say an hour in spin class), I have exceeded 1000 calories in a 1-hour session.

Those sprints were pretty brutal. I'd have 15-20 seconds left on a sprint and my legs would just be screaming. I mixed it up, some sprints were seated and others were standing. I'd crank up the resistance on the bike and go all out. By the time my 1 min cooldown was over, I was ready to go again.

The session flew by. Understandably, because you're always changing what you're doing. Also, I didn't feel as run down when I was finished as I do after a longer steady-state ride.

I did this on sore legs (yesterday was leg day). The DOMS usually disappears for my Tuesday cardio session, then comes back a few hours later with a vengeance. I'm really feeling it now!

I do 2 cardio session per week. If I do HIIT for both sessions, is that ideal for muscle gains? What about the cardiovascular benefits of HIIT vs steady-state? Am I going to lose anything by giving up steady-state cardio through the winter?
    Nice effort! I don't know that there is a right or wrong way as long as you get the HR that high and alternate with rest intervals. For example, I've seen some formulas with 20/40 second work/rest intervals.

I know there are those who absolutely hate any kind of cardio. I'm not one of them and have read that there is growing evidence of HIIT's advantages for cardiovascular health compared to LISS. As you noted, the variation keeps things interesting. Speaking for myself, I'd be bored if I were doing a steady pace. I also feel great when I'm done. To some, of course, that's like saying you feel great because you stopped hitting your head against the wall. LOL

Clarence Bass(cbass.com) and Dr. Richard Winnett(ageless-atheletes.com), both old-timers as far as bodybuilders go, write extensively about their preference for HITT on their web-sites if you're interested.

OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The calorie burns are a steaming pile of bull$hit. Or else I would weigh 150 lbs. The machines are grossly inaccurate. Otherwise great job!

Yes you did.

MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrNismo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice!

Try some 'hill sprints' on the treadmill too. Set incline to max then alternate 20 seconds of sprinting with draping yourself over the bars for a minute or so :-)

As someone else already said, doesn't seem to be a 'wrong' way as long as you are going balls out on your interval sets then you're fine.

jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000) jdtemple is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MrNismo View Post
    Nice!

Try some 'hill sprints' on the treadmill too. Set incline to max then alternate 20 seconds of sprinting with draping yourself over the bars for a minute or so :-)

As someone else already said, doesn't seem to be a 'wrong' way as long as you are going balls out on your interval sets then you're fine.
    I tried the treadmill thing and never could get comfortable jacking with the speed between intervals. It's a lot easier to crank the resistance up & down on a spin bike.

Another thing I'd like to get for HIIT is a Concept2 rower. For now, money dictates that the bike will have to do.

Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Birddog6424 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    That sounds like a pretty good run at a HIIT program.

The tips I would give you from a long time cardio nut (20 years of distance running/ 13 completed marathons) is mix up the cardio. Do some moderate mixed with HIIT. Even if you are feeling tired throw in some LISS for a nice easy 30 or 40 minutes. It is all beneficial in it's own way.

HIIT is an excellent means of cardio. You won't find a better means of increasing endurance. It will make you stronger and faster at all other means of cardiovascular exercise. And just as an FYI; you can't compare apples to apples with HIIT training versus other methods when it comes to caloric expenditure. HIIT is a most effective means of creating this biological effect called EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)

Here is a snippet of what that means;
    Studies show that the EPOC effect exists after both anaerobic exercise and aerobic exercise, but all studies comparing the two show that anaerobic exercise increases EPOC more than aerobic exercise does. Such comparisons are problematic, however, in that it is difficult to equalize and subsequently compare workloads between the two types of exercise. For exercise regimens of comparable duration and intensity, aerobic exercise burns more calories during the exercise itself,[6] but the difference is partly offset by the higher increase in caloric expenditure that occurs during the EPOC phase after anaerobic exercise. Anaerobic exercise in the form of high-intensity interval training was also found in one study to result in greater loss of subcutaneous fat, even though the subjects expended fewer than half as many calories during exercise.[7] Whether this result was caused by the EPOC effect has not been established, and the caloric content of the participants' diet was not controlled during this particular study period.
    Here is the full Wiki. You should read it, it's very informative;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excess_...en_consumption
    Semper Fidelis

krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10) krisdineone is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I LOVE HIIT!!!! It Feels great and like you said the time flies by~ It is wonderful for people like me that get bored with the regular steady (boring) pace of other types of cardio.
    Cheers!!
    "Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn"

I AM busting my ass!!

One Life One Body!!

Here we go again. I have HIIT planned again after work, legs still sore from Monday's leg day and Tuesday's HIIT session. Once I get warmed up, the soreness will probably be gone.

4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4evernatural has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do HIIT 3-4 times a week on the treadmill........the best thing ever for burning off bodyfat!
    "I will fear no evil for you are with me" Psalms 23:4

Originally Posted by 4evernatural View Post
    I do HIIT 3-4 times a week on the treadmill........the best thing ever for burning off bodyfat!
    I was thinking about throwing in another session, as a matter of fact. Heck, it's over quickly enough.