mackmartin1000 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is my method inefficient?

Background: I'm 22, 6 feet tall, and (now) 170 lbs (was 185 a month ago)
    I started a strict diet/exercise routine four or five weeks ago with the goal of losing fat. Since I've lost a good amount of fat in the last month, I've shifted my focus to filling out my almost non existent muscles. I don't necessarily want to be big, just more cut. I've been consistently eating 1200-1700 calories per day with a relatively high protein intake (0.8-1.0g per lb) At this moment I definitely have a bit more fat to lose, my BMI is 23.5. For the last two weeks I've been going to the gym about five days a week, where I run about two miles (burn 200-300 cals) and lift a different muscle group for 30-45 minutes. I know it's ineffective to lift on such a big calorie deficit so I've been keeping up the high protein intake. Generally I'll try to keep my net calories at a minimum of 1200 (usually 1300-1400) - So if I burn 200 cals running I'll make sure I eat at the very least 1400 cals. Is it unhealthy to do this much cardio on my diet? I like doing it but I'm worried it's not good for me or possibly detracting from my progress.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It sounds like you’re in something like a 1000-1200 deficit at least... that is not sustainable especially when you’re not even overweight.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    It sounds like you’re in something like a 1000-1200 deficit at least... that is not sustainable especially when you’re not even overweight.
    Define sustainable. I should have mentioned I'm only gonna keep up this deficit for another month at the absolute most, then transitioning to something like 1900-2200

boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) boo99 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    But why another month of a deficit at 170 lbs?

Abs?
    NASM CPT

IG: jeff.galanzzi

-----------------------------
    RIP my friend D4K

Originally Posted by boo99 View Post
    But why another month of a deficit at 170 lbs?

Abs?
    I have another few lbs of fat to lose, just wanna get it over with then start bulking up. It's not hard or uncomfortable for me to sustain

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mackmartin1000 View Post
    Define sustainable. I should have mentioned I'm only gonna keep up this deficit for another month at the absolute most, then transitioning to something like 1900-2200
    Uh, that’s still a deficit... are you planning to just wither away to nothing until you’re in a hospital bed?

If you cut to say, 165, your tdee is still going to be well above 2200 calories... if you want to bulk, you’re going to need much more. Hell, I’m 6 foot and not even 140lb and I’m trying to gain eating 3000+ And I’m 34 years old...
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Uh, that’s still a deficit... are you planning to just wither away to nothing until you’re in a hospital bed?

If you cut to say, 165, your tdee is still going to be well above 2200 calories... if you want to bulk, you’re going to need much more. Hell, I’m 6 foot and not even 140lb and I’m trying to gain eating 3000+ And I’m 34 years old...
    My only goal is to cut down my body fat. The only way I can do that is by being in a caloric deficit. If I’m easily able to get by on ~1500cal per day plus exercise, why not just do it ya know? I’d rather do it all at once than drag it out for six months

My only goal is to cut down my body fat. The only way I can do that is by being in a caloric deficit. If I’m easily able to get by on ~1500cal per day plus exercise, why not just do it ya know? I’d rather do it all at once than drag it out for six months
    If your only goal is to lose fat, then why are you lifting weights and why are you on a bodybuilding forum?

Also, you flat out said you want to bulk after you’re done... so, which is it?

I’m telling you that if your plan is to cut, then bulk eating only 1900-2200 calories, that won’t work because your TDEE is more than that.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 01-20-2020 at 09:59 PM.

If your only goal is to lose fat, then why are you lifting weights and why are you on a bodybuilding forum?

Also, you flat out said you want to bulk after you’re done... so, which is it?

I’m telling you that if your plan is to cut, then bulk eating only 1900-2200 calories, that won’t work because your TDEE is more than that.
    I’ve explained this very poorly, that’s on me. Bulking is not the right word. I want to transition into continuing to burn body fat while maintaining or slowly building new muscle. Even on my current extreme deficit I’ve been able to build muscle because of my protein surplus.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Even on my current extreme deficit I’ve been able to build muscle because of my protein surplus.
    How do you know?

Body composition tests are mostly useless. Strength can increase without muscle gain at least in the short-medium term.

I don't generally recommend trying to recomp, it's never the silver bullet everyone hopes it will be.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    How do you know?

Body composition tests are mostly useless. Strength can increase without muscle gain at least in the short-medium term.

I don't generally recommend trying to recomp, it's never the silver bullet everyone hopes it will be.
    I can see it

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I can see it
    Can be glycogen uptake and inflammation. Also, loss of bodyfat makes muscles appear larger even if they are not.

Long story short: too many confounding factors, we've been through this loop with people many times.

I’ve explained this very poorly, that’s on me. Bulking is not the right word. I want to transition into continuing to burn body fat while maintaining or slowly building new muscle. Even on my current extreme deficit I’ve been able to build muscle because of my protein surplus.
    It isn’t going to work dude... you need to AT LEAST eat at maintenance in this situation and 1900-2200 isn’t going to even get you there... and since calorie/macros measuring isn’t 100% accurate, trying for a small surplus at least guarantees you’ll actually gain...

You’re going to just end up staying exactly the same

It isn’t going to work dude... you need to AT LEAST eat at maintenance in this situation and 1900-2200 isn’t going to even get you there... and since calorie/macros measuring isn’t 100% accurate, trying for a small surplus at least guarantees you’ll actually gain...

Well then at the very least I’ll continue to burn fat and the high protein/lifting will prevent excess muscle loss

Well then at the very least I’ll continue to burn fat and the high protein/lifting will prevent excess muscle loss
    No, you won't, because if you're in a deficit and you're already lean, you'll end up burning muscle... you cannot just sustain a deficit indefinitely... it doesn't work that way.

Why are you so set on doing things the wrong way?

1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 1MANU is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

This. 100%.
    Curing Disease.

Strong mind+Strong body = UNSTOPPABLE.

No, you won't, because if you're in a deficit and you're already lean, you'll end up burning muscle... you cannot just sustain a deficit indefinitely... it doesn't work that way.

Why are you so set on doing things the wrong way?
    I never said I’m already lean. I’m still trying to get rid of belly fat, chest fat, and love handles. How am I supposed to get rid of that fat in a surplus?

I never said I’m already lean. I’m still trying to get rid of belly fat, chest fat, and love handles. How am I supposed to get rid of that fat in a surplus?
    You won't, you need a phased approach. This is from years of experience. You can keep asking the question but the answer will stay the same.

But once you're done 'cutting', you WILL be lean, and you won't be able to do it consistently over time.

Why are you fighting back against all the advice you're getting? I'm starting to think you just don't want help at all.

But once you're done 'cutting', you WILL be lean, and you won't be able to do it consistently over time.

Why are you fighting back against all the advice you're getting? I'm starting to think you just don't want help at all.
    Lol I’m sorry I’m not trying to be combative. I appreciate all the free advice. I think there’s some miscommunication. I guess when it really comes down to it my only concern is if this type of diet and exercise is unhealthy at least for the next two weeks

Ya know what, I understand what I was saying wrong. As soon as I feel like I’m at an appropriate level of fat, I’ll start building muscle at a higher surplus like 2500. Thank you.

Ya know what, I understand what I was saying wrong. As soon as I feel like I’m at an appropriate level of fat, I’ll start building muscle at a higher surplus like 2500. Thank you.
    Do what you want man... im done here...