Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WillHappen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillHappen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Beginner Hypertrophy for Planet Fitness

Hi guys,

I'm requesting a basic muscle-building program (4-5 days) that can be followed at Planet Fitness.

By Planet Fitness I mean mostly machines and dumbbells (since they don't have Squat, Deadlift).
    The only experience I have is, Rippetoe's Starting Strength (at a different gym) for about 1-2 years, but haven't lifted at all the past 5 years. Looking to get back again.

Would appreciate any guidance from someone familiar with Planet Fitness.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

WillHappen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WillHappen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=TolerantLactose;1605303301]Fierce 5 dumbbell version:

Thanks, will take a look at this.

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Fierce 5 dumbbell version:
    Any idea how this compares to Lyle Mcdonald's Generic Bulking Routine?

Thanks.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by WillHappen View Post

Thanks.
    That requires squats and stiff leg deadlifts if I remember rightly. So there is not much point in trying to draw a comparison - since you can't do it.

Any sensible routine will work - the key part is how much effort you put in.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    That requires squats and stiff leg deadlifts if I remember rightly. So there is not much point in trying to draw a comparison - since you can't do it.

Any sensible routine will work - the key part is how much effort you put in.
    Thanks for the guidance. Is it possible to take Lyle's program and make a machine + dumbbell version of it?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Thanks for the guidance. Is it possible to take Lyle's program and make a machine + dumbbell version of it?
    It would look like a completely different routine - with the usual challenges that entails - working out if it's the right balance, volume, recovery time, can be progressively overloaded etc.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TolerantLactose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thanks.
    Not enough of a difference between programs appropriate to your level to really sweat over. A lot of people fall down chasing the 10% difference to the detriment of the 90% (made up numbers).
    Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
    Galatians 4:16

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It would look like a completely different routine - with the usual challenges that entails - working out if it's the right balance, volume, recovery time, can be progressively overloaded etc.
    I understand your point. So what pre-defined program would you recommend to me?
    Thanks again.

Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I understand your point. So what pre-defined program would you recommend to me?
    Thanks again.

Didn't he suggest Fierce5 dumbbells?
    Subhan Allah

Muslim Crew

Originally Posted by TolerantLactose View Post
    Not enough of a difference between programs appropriate to your level to really sweat over. A lot of people fall down chasing the 10% difference to the detriment of the 90% (made up numbers).
    Gotcha. Agreed, reminded me of Eric Helm's pyramid concept

Originally Posted by Magomed1 View Post
    Didn't he suggest Fierce5 dumbbells?
    No. That was TolerantLactose's suggestion (which I'll be reading about today).

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No. That was TolerantLactose's suggestion (which I'll be reading about today).
    I made a full body routine for my friend who went to planet fitness instead of joining my gym a while back, he used it and got good results. He also changed his diet up, and made it a point to get more sleep than before, both of which will help you more than a gym routine.

This is a 3x week program. You will use the following rep and weight scheme. 4x8 week 1, 4x9 week 2, 4x10 week 3. If all reps are hit, the following cycle add weight and repeat the rep scheme. There is an A and B workout, in which you will alternate. For example you would workout MWF, or TTS, doesn’t matter, just have a day between workouts to rest and 2 days off before you start the next weeks workout.

Workout A
    -DB bench OR machine press
    -Seated cable rows with wide neutral grip handles OR one arm machine rows
    -Leg press
    -Glute bridges
    -Reverse crunches OR lying leg raises

Workout B
    -DB press or machine shoulder press
    -Close reverse grip/ wide grip lat pulldowns
    (These will alternate as well)
    -Leg press
    -Glute bridges
    -Reverse crunches or lying leg raises

Originally Posted by BeginnerGainz View Post
    I made a full body routine for my friend who went to planet fitness instead of joining my gym a while back, he used it and got good results. He also changed his diet up, and made it a point to get more sleep than before, both of which will help you more than a gym routine.

This is a 3x week program. You will use the following rep and weight scheme. 4x8 week 1, 4x9 week 2, 4x10 week 3. If all reps are hit, the following cycle add weight and repeat the rep scheme. There is an A and B workout, in which you will alternate. For example you would workout MWF, or TTS, doesn’t matter, just have a day between workouts to rest and 2 days off before you start the next weeks workout.

Workout A
    -Leg press
    -Glute bridges

Workout B
    -Leg press
    -Glute bridges
    Hi,

Thanks a lot for commenting and guiding me.

If you don't mind, can you give a brief answer to a few questions in my mind:

What determines or what's the difference between going to gym 3 vs 4 vs 5 days?
    What determines whether you should do full-body or body-part training?
    Similarly, how do you decide between upper/lower, push/pull splits that I am seeing online?

Reading about these things online there's a lot of information. So I'm requesting some basic knowledge.
    I've ordered the book called "Bigger Leaner Stronger" by Michael Matthews. Would it answer the questions I'm asking?

Thanks.

Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Magomed1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hi,

Similarly, how do you decide between upper/lower, push/pull splits that I am seeing online?

Reading about these things online there's a lot of information. So I'm requesting some basic knowledge.
    I've ordered the book called "Bigger Leaner Stronger" by Michael Matthews. Would it answer the questions I'm asking?

Thanks.
    If you're asking these questions you're not ready yet.

It comes down to recovery ability and needing more volume for growth. Things beginners do not need for 6 to 12 months
    Subhan Allah

Muslim Crew

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I recommend you get on Fierce 5 as recommended above or another proper novice program. A lot of beginners ask endless questions in order to become "experts" before they even lift a weight, with the intention of customizing a special program for their unique needs. And they end up with a program that's all over the place and/or designed for advanced lifters because all their experience comes from stuff they read online or in a book.

There's nothing wrong with learning more, but you should still start out with a novice program and progress from there while you sift through all the info out there and varying opinions.

And yes, I know you worked out over 5 years ago for a year so of course feel free to do what you feel works best for your body.

BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BeginnerGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi,

Thanks.
    I think you’re overthinking it my friend

Just to clarify about the program I gave you above, you will notice it is eerily similar to fierce 5 dumbbells only. That isn’t an accident, as the creator of that program knew how to write a balanced routine as well. The problem with Fierce 5 dumbbell routine at Planet Fitness is with dumbbells you have to make 5 lbs jumps, instead of 2.5 lbs jumps. Heaving heavy dumbbells into position can be a tricky thing in and of itself.

Hence, the option to use the chest press and shoulder press machines as a substitute. Same thing with the leg press, feel free to substitute split squats instead of the leg press, but the press is much more “approachable” for a beginner.

I cut out the arm work, and doubled down on the core work. Feel free to add a biceps exercise to one day, and a triceps exercise to the other day.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 05-21-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Hi,

In the B workout, you have a line saying

Could you clarify that please?

I know you are saying to alternate Workout A and B like M(A) W(B) F(A) M(B) ...
    But what is the "These will alternate as well" inside of Workout B?

Thanks.

Workout A
    -Leg press
    -Glute bridges

Workout B
    -Leg press
    -Glute bridges

Hi,

In the B workout, you have a line saying

Could you clarify that please?

I know you are saying to alternate Workout A and B like M(A) W(B) F(A) M(B) ...
    But what is the "These will alternate as well" inside of Workout B?

Thanks.
    You alternate between each variation each time you do workout B.
    Subhan Allah

Muslim Crew

Hi Magomed, thanks. So you mean alternate between the "Close reverse grip" and "wide grip lat pulldowns" on workout B days?

Originally Posted by Magomed1 View Post
    You alternate between each variation each time you do workout B.

Hi Magomed, thanks. So you mean alternate between the "Close reverse grip" and "wide grip lat pulldowns" on workout B days?
    Let’s say you do workout B on Monday and Friday (Wednesday would then be workout A),
    on Monday you would do close reverse grip (chin up grip) lat pulldowns, and Friday you would do wide grip (pull-up grip) lat pulldowns

Let’s say you do workout B on Monday and Friday (Wednesday would then be workout A),
    on Monday you would do close reverse grip (chin up grip) lat pulldowns, and Friday you would do wide grip (pull-up grip) lat pulldowns
    Understood. Much thanksss!!

Understood. Much thanksss!!
    No problem

Hey friends,

I see there are many, many Deadlift and RDL videos on Youtube.

Can someone please post a couple you think explain it best? For both Deadline and RDL please.

Also, Mark Rippetoe's has long videos on the compound lifts - are those good?

Thanks.
    Last edited by WillHappen; 06-01-2020 at 04:05 AM.

Alan Thrall and Eric Helms both have good RDL videos.

You can’t do either at Planet fitness though, unless you do them with dumbbells. Smith machines are a poor substitute and frankly, scare the s**t out of me. Too many stories of them breaking and killing/injuring people.

You can’t do either at Planet fitness though, unless you do them with dumbbells. Smith machines are a poor substitute and frankly, scare the s**t out of me. Too many stories of them breaking and killing/injuring people.
    Hello, I did a basic workout on Friday for the first time, it was a good feeling.
    Also watching the Youtube channel musclemonsters - seems very good.

Quick question for you please, what is the machine substitute for Deadlifts?
    Looks like there's a machine version of most of the basic compound lifts.

Hello, I did a basic workout on Friday for the first time, it was a good feeling.
    Also watching the Youtube channel musclemonsters - seems very good.

Quick question for you please, what is the machine substitute for Deadlifts?
    Looks like there's a machine version of most of the basic compound lifts.
    No, but there are FAR better exercises than deadlifts

Some gyms have plate loadable (Usually Hammer strength) deadlift handles, but again, PF doesn’t.

No, but there are FAR better exercises than deadlifts

Some gyms have plate loadable (Usually Hammer strength) deadlift handles, but again, PF doesn’t.
    So in your recommended plan, is it the lat pulldown that is replacing deadlift?
    I believe the seated cable row is substituting the bent over row.

Cable rows replace bent over rows. Glute bridges/hip thrust replace deadlifts. You could also do RDLs with dumbbells. RDLs and hip thrust follow the 4x8/9/10 rep scheme, and glute bridges are done for 3x30 second holds where you contract the hell out of your glutes, back and hamstrings.

Experiment with each, learn how to do them properly and pick the one you like the best. Truth is, the deadlift is overrated for muscle building and strength. Hence why deadlift numbers improve consistently without actually deadlifting for 90% of the people out there.

I will say this, the reverse planks is the hardest exercise I’ve ever done for my posterior, this coming from someone who did sets of 10 good mornings with 225 and sets of 3 deadlifts with 405 on the bar. If you can work up to doing reverse planks, you’re good.
    Last edited by BeginnerGainz; 06-01-2020 at 01:27 PM.