Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Gabriel01 View Post
    i am only after the understanding of having carbs - postworkout. Is it required at all? is it superior to have as opposed to not having it at all? i am after the why only
    This has already been said in this thread, but it's worth reiterating. The necessity/benefit of postworkout carbs depends on what your sport &/or fitness goal is. Are you a multi-event-per-day competitive endurance athlete? If so, carbs postworkout are important, & the faster you get them in, the better, since your timeframe to refill those same glycogen-depleted muscles is limited. For all other goals, it doesn't matter how you distribute your carbs through the day, as long as you hit the targeted macronutrient total amounts by the end of the day. As Cumulonimbus pointed out, the postworkout protein dose seen to maximize the anabolic response to training is pretty small (appx 25g; almost everyone & their mother already consumes more than this per meal). Adding carbohydrate to this protein dose did not further increase muscle protein synthesis or decrease muscle protein breakdown. Note: this is acute-response data, & does not to imply that any amount more than this will be wasted - the body is smarter than that... These data (& others) tell us that we can relax & not think we need to store a bottle of sugar in our gym bags for the POSTWORKOUT SMACKDOWN, BRO!!!!!11

I realize that words like "simplicity" & 'flexibility" scare bodybuilders at times.
    Last edited by alan aragon; 01-24-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Joseph1990 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    This data (& others) tells us that we can relax & not think we need to store a bottle of sugar in our gym bags for the POSTWORKOUT SMACKDOWN, BRO!!!!!11

I realize that words like "simplicity" & 'flexibility" scare bodybuilders at times.
    LOL, so win!
    Control group crew membership revoked 7/5/2022 1:50pm PST not proud.

Inb4 honorable FDA/CDC/NIH/WHO representatives

J.L.C,
    NextPound,
    mgftp,
    SillieBazzillie.

piphound has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bananas and Blueberries

Would eating a banana be a good choice as a source for post-workout carbs? I am just starting an exercise program and I was actually thinking that a protein shake with blueberries and a banana would be a good source for carbs and protein.

Glutes... they are back Cumulonimbus's Avatar
    Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by piphound View Post
    Would eating a banana be a good choice as a source for post-workout carbs? I am just starting an exercise program and I was actually thinking that a protein shake with blueberries and a banana would be a good source for carbs and protein.
    Sure, a banana and milk shake would be good post workout. Getting a good ratio of protein to carbs. Also depends on your training. Some will argue and say "oh noez, fruktossse only replenishes liver glycogen" which is true, but it simply is a 'pit stop' and muscle glycogen will be replenished.
    Just a weight lifter

PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Carbs are a good source of post-workout carbs. Srs.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Sith Emperor View Post
    You're kidding right? Listen to the common sense of Simmons.. It's one of the first things you learn when you start lifting weights. But I tell you what, do your thing (no protein after lifting) for a month, and if you've made considerable gains at the time, I'll give you $50.
    I have done my thing for 3 years and have trophies to show for it
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Forelli87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I always just make sure that my post-workout meal has a decent amount of protein in it, along with nutritionally dense foods. E.g, Tuna and salad sandwich.

mcalex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    However this study ( long term , same supplement taken at different times ) shows that it is better to have same nutients around workouts than at other times

Effects of supplement timing and resistance exercise on skeletal muscle hypertrophy.
    Cribb PJ, Hayes A.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by mcalex View Post
    However this study ( long term , same supplement taken at different times ) shows that it is better to have same nutients around workouts than at other times

Effects of supplement timing and resistance exercise on skeletal muscle hypertrophy.
    Cribb PJ, Hayes A.
    That's cool, but it's in the minority of longer-term research showing the effectiveness of timing. I just got done pouring over the research on this very topic, and I too was excited about nutrient timing when the Cribb study came out. Too bad the majority of subsequent trials have yielded such unexciting results.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cumulonimbus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That picture made my morning.

I love Alan n/h.
    Just a weight lifter

Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Chuck2600 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you train fasted then do you need post workout carbs?

Originally Posted by Chuck2600 View Post
    If you train fasted then do you need post workout carbs?
    The necessity of postworkout carbs is an endurance performance tactic - but a very exclusive one at that (>1 depletion bout involving the same muscles in a day). But keep in mind, there's no good reason to specifically avoid carbs postworkout unless your macros for the given day involve complete carb restriction. Some knuckleheads say that you shouldn't have any postworkout carbs ever, which is simply swinging the bro pendulum too far in the other direction.
    Last edited by alan aragon; 01-25-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Or the "wait 2 hours after training to eat because your body will not digest any protein after intense training since it has more important functions to perform"
    Just a weight lifter

mcalex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's cool, but it's in the minority of longer-term research showing the effectiveness of timing. I just got done pouring over the research on this very topic, and I too was excited about nutrient timing when the Cribb study came out. Too bad the majority of subsequent trials have yielded such unexciting results.
    Yeah - too bad all the newer ones look anly at acute responses.
    From my experience ( working with people ) - better the person's genetics are, less impact the carb distribution has.
    I found out that those with skinny-fat predispositions benefit the most form having the majority of carbs around the workout.

Originally Posted by mcalex View Post
    Yeah - too bad all the newer ones look anly at acute responses.
    From my experience ( working with people ) - better the person's genetics are, less impact the carb distribution has.
    I found out that those with skinny-fat predispositions benefit the most form having the majority of carbs around the workout.
    1) you are unaware of the must current non-acute research
    2) citing your personal observations does not build a strong case
    Last edited by alan aragon; 01-26-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Lightweight motha f...... albert88's Avatar
    albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    After lifting, I don't give a sh!t what science says...I eat/drink what makes ME feel good:

Either 2 fruit bars from Trader Joe's or 2 organic toaster pastries
    8 oz organic milk (full fat mother f8cker)
    1 scoop XF mochachinno whey

I don't see a point in drinking sugary stuff with protein, it doesn't satisfy at all.

Oh and thanks to Alan, after all my reading, I went ahead and ordered 40+ 8oz cartons of organic chocolate milk. I'll be having 3-4 post workout every time after my fruit bars and toaster pastries run out.
    2K+

NETPRO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No carbs needed

For me it is Whey 1 scoop + Milk (non fat) only 100ML + Water, so this only contain small amount of carbs.

then when i get back home about 1 hour : Creatine 2.5 Gm.

Before bed: Olive oil + cheese + flaxseed oil + ZMA.

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by NETPRO View Post
    then when i get back home about 1 hour : Creatine 2.5 Gm.
    ^^ While this is fine the way you have it (I assume you have another 2.5 grams some other time during the day, probably pre-worout), there is no reason to artificially have your creatine separate from your post workout shake, if you wanted to have the creatine then.

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    ^^ While this is fine the way you have it (I assume you have another 2.5 grams some other time during the day, probably pre-worout), there is no reason to artificially have your creatine separate from your post workout shake, if you wanted to have the creatine then.
    Yes i take 2.5GM of creatine pre workout.

piphound has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    On day three of the 12 week transformation by Kris Gethin. This is the original
    video series of Kris Gethin and not his latest one that has super sets in it. I
    did purchase his book and I see he states that I should not have carbs after
    3pm. My lift day consists of cardio in the morning and lifting in the early
    evening around 5 or 6pm. My question is should I take in some carbs after 3 pm
    on lift days or more specific right after lifting? I have been taking a protein
    shake mixed with a banana and some blueberries. OR would this be better consumed prior ro lifting? Thanks everyone!
    BTW, I want to clarify something. In the book he states that after 3pm to cut out the starchier carbohydrates like potatoes and pasta and have the last two meals with veggies.
    Last edited by piphound; 01-26-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    Proverbs 14:30 and 17:22

Stop your carb intake at 2:55pm, 2:56 is really pushing it.
    Just a weight lifter

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I see he states that I should not have carbs after
    3pm.
    That's utter crap. Ignore the advice.

Artificial carb cut-off advice is nothing more than calorie-cutting-for-dummies. When you ban an entire macronutrient, it will often result in an overall caloric reduction.

Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    Artificial carb cut-off advice is nothing more than calorie-cutting-for-dummies. When you ban an entire macronutrient, it will often result in an overall caloric reduction.
    I am not cutting it off, I am just lowering it down.

IGF1-Akt-mTor1/2 Brah braggable's Avatar
    braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    After I lift I wait exactly 23.3 minutes and eat 27.3g Protein. I then do a headstand and eat 4.6oz of blueberries. I then boil 1 egg, cut it into 4ths, turn on the news, and proceed to eat a section of that egg everytime a newscaster says the word "tree". I then snort Waxy Maize with a straw, and eat 10.5 almonds. This is the ONLY way to maximize your post workout nutrition.

Originally Posted by NETPRO View Post
    I am not cutting it off, I am just lowering it down.
    I was referring to post #51 by piphound

ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ELugo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The necessity of postworkout carbs is an endurance performance tactic - but a very exclusive one at that (>1 depletion bout involving the same muscles in a day). But keep in mind, there's no good reason to specifically avoid carbs postworkout unless your macros for the given day involve complete carb restriction. Some knuckleheads say that you shouldn't have any postworkout carbs ever, which is simply swinging the bro pendulum too far in the other direction.
    I simply take in my protein/carb shake postworkout because it does feel better for me after a hardcore session. What do you say about professional bodybuilders who constantly recommend taking in simple carbs PWO? Do you believe with the intensity in which they train, would warrant a need for these carbs? I know for me, JUST protein doesn't cut it. When I add the carbs in, it makes a world a difference. Just curious as to your thoughts on this ...
    There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ELugo View Post
    I simply take in my protein/carb shake postworkout because it does feel better for me after a hardcore session. What do you say about professional bodybuilders who constantly recommend taking in simple carbs PWO? Do you believe with the intensity in which they train, would warrant a need for these carbs? I know for me, JUST protein doesn't cut it. When I add the carbs in, it makes a world a difference. Just curious as to your thoughts on this ...

^^^ I remember recently Chris Aceto posted that if one trained hard even 60 grams carbs post-workout is not nearly enough. He explains that (in his opinion I guess) more carbs are needed to even prevent muscle breakdown.

Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghosting has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Question

Is only 25g of whey going to cause an insulin spike? I'd like to take advantage of the post workout "after burn" effect, if it is a real thing. Also, #4, what do people think about it

So now what are we supposed to base our nutrition on? Enter the most underrated scientific paper in the last 5 years. Tipton and colleagues (2003) examined responsiveness of protein synthesis for a day after a workout, and found it to reflect a 24 hour enhanced level. That’s right folks, a FULL DAY! This means that having a morning shake will have the same impact on muscle protein synthesis as one consumed following the workout!

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...utrition_myths

I know, t-nation.