njdfan30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Strange issue - no weight loss after significant calorie deficit

So, for the last 4 days, have just been doing a liquid diet - water with apple cider vinegar and protein shakes, with ground flaxseed mixed with it 1-2x/day. Also, been doing body-weight exercises...either a 35-40 minute tabata style workout, a jog, 100 burpees...stuff like that.

Between flaxseed and the shakes, I don't think I'm taking in more than 1200 calories/day. The first few days I lost ~ 6lbs, but as mentioned, been taking it quite a bit of protein as well as getting some fiber from flaxseed. I noticed that when I got on the scale this morning, I was the same weight as yesterday, which surprised me considering I definitely had to be in a pretty significant calorie deficit. I'm 5'10", 167 lbs, so this seems awfully strange. Today is the last day before I go back to lifting and going back to solid food, but after this I almost wonder if I'll gain 3 lbs. by eating a slice of bread! Just curious if anyone might know why this would be the case - I'm not all that concerned about it, but I do wonder if it is something I should consider in how I'm calibrating my calories and exercise going forward and am curious why this might have happened. I am going to weight myself again tomorrow, will be interesting if the scale says the same weight after 2 days in a row in a ~1000-1200 calorie deficit.

faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faithbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the answer is simple: your body weight fluctuates based on a lot of different factors. you could only eat two slices of bread and an apple in a day, and the next day the scale could show you gained weight...

so how do you know if you're actually losing weight? well, you look at weekly averages. keep eating in a deficit and see what happens in a week or two

for reference, i've been cutting for a week on a ~500 calorie deficit, yet my weight has been the same for four mornings. funny thing is, i weighed myself again (for fun) 2-3 hours after eating breakfast and i weighed less

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    5' 10" and 167 pounds - with a 1000-1200 calorie deficit a day - makes me question your approach and methods...

Only a 5-day thing, more of a cleansing thing than anything else - going with fluids to do a bit of a 'system flush' from some really poor dietary choices the prior two weeks. It isn't a long-term strategy at all, going back to my 'normal' routine starting tomorrow.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by njdfan30 View Post
    So, for the last 4 days, have just been doing a liquid diet - water with apple cider vinegar and protein shakes, with ground flaxseed mixed with it 1-2x/day. Also, been doing body-weight exercises...either a 35-40 minute tabata style workout, a jog, 100 burpees...stuff like that.

Between flaxseed and the shakes, I don't think I'm taking in more than 1200 calories/day. The first few days I lost ~ 6lbs, but as mentioned, been taking it quite a bit of protein as well as getting some fiber from flaxseed. I noticed that when I got on the scale this morning, I was the same weight as yesterday, which surprised me considering I definitely had to be in a pretty significant calorie deficit. I'm 5'10", 167 lbs, so this seems awfully strange. Today is the last day before I go back to lifting and going back to solid food, but after this I almost wonder if I'll gain 3 lbs. by eating a slice of bread! Just curious if anyone might know why this would be the case - I'm not all that concerned about it, but I do wonder if it is something I should consider in how I'm calibrating my calories and exercise going forward and am curious why this might have happened. I am going to weight myself again tomorrow, will be interesting if the scale says the same weight after 2 days in a row in a ~1000-1200 calorie deficit.
    you need to give it time for 1 thing. A month is standard. Water fluctuations will **** with your head
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    you need to give it time for 1 thing. A month is standard. Water fluctuations will **** with your head
    So will lots of things lol.

Just as an update though, weighed in AGAIN at 167 - that's 3 days in a row with a consistent cal deficit of over 1000 and water intake of 80-100 oz and weighing the exact same. Still think something weird is going on here - want to lift on a cut, but if I've exercised in a significant deficit, lifting at a much smaller calorie deficit seems like I would gain weight right away by comparison. Either way, today's my last day of this, if my metabolism is that weird I will just have to hope I gain enough strength/muscle with whatever weight I gain to make it worth it.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    stress caused by a sharp drop in calories can lead to water retention.

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by stevolifts89 View Post
    i don’t think i’ve actually given any diet advice; i’ve just pointed my comrade in the direction of an article which clearly sets out the science and i’ve given my own personal experience with the diet. (although to be fair i did try to sum up one of the points, perhaps incorrectly) i’m not undermining the importance of calories in versus calories out to lose weight but the keto diet has been proven to accelerate fat loss and has been used for years to treat epilepsy in children for many years; hence a causative chain attached to benefits in the brain. It’s also been successful in reducing the risk and indeed treating type 2 diabetes not to mention the countless number of people i know personally who have tried and had success with the diet. But you’re more than welcome to voice your opinion if you’ve tried and failed at the diet, maybe you didn’t have the proper guidance. Or perhaps you haven’t tried it and you just decided that you don’t like it. Either way ������
    from a fatloss perspective there is no advantage to KETO given the same weekly calories as a carb inclusive diet. This is basic stuff.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Stevolifts89 View Post
    I’d highly recommend trying the Keto diet,
    I don’t think I’ve actually given any diet advice
    But the Keto diet has been proven to accelerate fat loss
    Not using real science.

It’s also been successful in reducing the risk and indeed treating type 2 diabetes
    I must have missed where the OP mentioned having diabetes or even high blood sugar. Show me where that was mentioned...

I think all you’ve missed is the point. And perhaps my use of the word “also” , meaning further to my previous statement..
    What was your point

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Spot the guy with no science background and is parroting "info" from keto forums.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

Yeah I've seen a lot of people rave about the Keto thing - personally, the diet I had the most success with was paleo, and the only reason I really did that is because overall it made sense - kind of u dont eat it unless you can grow it or kill it lol

So back to regular eating, 2 days in, gained 100% of the weight back already. Oh well, just decided I'm going to eating well and working out and hope I see some results in the mirror, and really try to be mindful of getting enough water. I have a 84 oz water bottle I try to make sure I go through every day, in addition to whatever water I take in from protein shakes and pre-workout.

Yeah I've seen a lot of people rave about the Keto thing - personally, the diet I had the most success with was paleo, and the only reason I really did that is because overall it made sense - kind of u dont eat it unless you can grow it or kill it lol

So back to regular eating, 2 days in, gained 100% of the weight back already. Oh well, just decided I'm going to eating well and working out and hope I see some results in the mirror, and really try to be mindful of getting enough water. I have a 84 oz water bottle I try to make sure I go through every day, in addition to whatever water I take in from protein shakes and pre-workout.
    you gained water weight in 2 days. There is no need to drink so much water anyway. Fatloss will always be a product of a weekly/monthly calorie deficit no matter which “diet” you choose.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    you gained water weight in 2 days. There is no need to drink so much water anyway. Fatloss will always be a product of a weekly/monthly calorie deficit no matter which “diet” you choose.
    I just kind of set the bar at 84+ oz because I drink a good amount of caffeine and have read that hydration is important in general, but but especially when training. What the ideal # is of course, I imagine is different for everyone but I figure if I get at least 84oz at least I'm making sure I'm getting enough H2O.

I just kind of set the bar at 84+ oz because I drink a good amount of caffeine and have read that hydration is important in general, but but especially when training. What the ideal # is of course, I imagine is different for everyone but I figure if I get at least 84oz at least I'm making sure I'm getting enough H2O.
    Well if you think it helps anything. Half that would be more than adequate.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Only a 5-day thing, more of a cleansing thing than anything else - going with fluids to do a bit of a 'system flush' from some really poor dietary choices the prior two weeks. It isn't a long-term strategy at all, going back to my 'normal' routine starting tomorrow.
    lol.

You know the best/only way to flush and "detox" your body? Let your liver do it.
    www.miscers.com

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177185321 ~ WoW Classic <MISCERS> guild horde thread GTFIH

320 bench press
    1000lbs club at 190ish lbs

Chargers, Angels, Lakers, Canucks.

kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kingofturtles has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Also. Coffee has been proven to hydrate you just as much as water. You dont need to drink water because you drink coffee (maybe if your having those little esspresso shot things. I dunno)
    www.miscers.com

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177185321 ~ WoW Classic <MISCERS> guild horde thread GTFIH

320 bench press
    1000lbs club at 190ish lbs

Chargers, Angels, Lakers, Canucks.