5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Tall Guys Vs Bench Press?

Fail, after fail after fail. I've tried everything to bring up my bench-press to 225lbs. I've been bbing for a year now. I remember when I first started with 90lbs on the bar benching the weight. I was a skinny-fat mofo trying to get swole, but the force of the weights and momentum got the best of me when I couldn't even do 2 reps on it. Now, I can do that with ease, going up to 205 for atleast about 4 reps, dbs 160lbs ( 80 each hand ). Great progress, eh? Yeah a little, but I need help. I've tried wrist-wraps and they were good, but I don't wanna' rely on them. What's your medicine for the tall guy hitting the bench? Here's a video of me doing it and failing a bit. You can skip the commentary and get right to the business. Sorry about the length:

http://youtu.be/-pJZu2D6L6Q ( Can't see embed so eh. ) Please, no scolding.

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    On flat bench, it looked like you were moving your legs around too much. Better off staying tight everywhere. On the tri pushdowns, didn't look like you were contracting your triceps. Maybe work on form before expecting higher numbers.

5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by vampborn View Post
    On flat bench, it looked like you were moving your legs around too much. Better off staying tight everywhere. On the tri pushdowns, didn't look like you were contracting your triceps. Maybe work on form before expecting higher numbers.
    You're correct. On the tri-pushdowns I was using higher weight and I shouldn't have, because I record with the last set and tend to go a little heavy. I don't do tri-pushdowns partially, because if I do that, I get bad elbow strain.

BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Can you give me an idea of your current overall training layout? Days, exercises, sets, reps?
    I make bad videos in my basement about training, which makes me an internet guru.
    http://www.youtube.com/basementbarbell

Originally Posted by BDiamond View Post
    Can you give me an idea of your current overall training layout? Days, exercises, sets, reps?
    Lmao, Cam, sup. I know you on youtube, lol. Anyways, I do 3 days a week, sometimes four.

Back & Bicep:

Deadlift - 5 sets of 5 reps.
    T-bar Row - 4x6-8.
    Seated-Row - 4x6-8, sometime 3 sets.
    Pull-ups or Lat-pull downs with close grip: 4x6-8 sets.

Chin-ups to weighted - 3x failure.
    Close-grip Bicep Curl: 4x6-8.
    Wide-grip Bicep Curl: same above.

Chest & Tricep -

Negative weighted Dips - 3 sets of 6 - 8. ( Sometimes I do this, It's new. )
    Incline Barbell Press - 4 sets to the heaviest on lower reps.
    Incline DB-Press - 3-4 sets of 6-8.
    Bench Press: 4 sets to the heaviest on lower reps with spot.
    DB Pullovers: 3-4 sets of 6-8.

DB Tricep Extensions 3 sets to 6-8
    Tricep-pull downs same as above.
    Reverse Tricep Pulldowns as above.

Legs & Shoulders:

Squats - 5x5.
    Leg-press - 4x6-8.
    Leg-extensions - Same as above.

Behind The Neck Press: 4x6-8.
    DB Shoulder Press: 3-4x6-8.
    Shrugs BB or DB - 4x6-8.
    Lateral Raises - 3-4x6-8.

I know my stuff may seem high-volume, lol, but I kind of like it that way. I load-up on calories and carbs on workout days. I don't know. Maybe it's my arms are something.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Based on your thread title, perhaps you are using your size as some sort of excuse for not benching as much as your peers, and thus not putting in enough effort.

I'll remind you that all the top bench pressers in the world are over 6'.

1. How long have you been lifting?
    2. What's your bench press / chest routine?
    3. Are you clearly tracking your progression from week to week?
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    bench more than once a week /thread

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by im2manly View Post
    bench more than once a week /thread
    Maybe, maybe not. At the OP's numbers, however, I'd agree. I could also add:

- Don't try to max every time in the gym. /thread

- Prioritize flat bench in the routine if that's what you're trying to improve. /thread
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) im2manly has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. At the OP's numbers, however, I'd agree. I could also add:

- Don't try to max every time in the gym. /thread

- Prioritize flat bench in the routine if that's what you're trying to improve. /thread
    I think it's well established that for strength gains you want a good amount of frequency for things like bench. On the other hand I think the not maxing every time doesn't always hold true.

jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jvon2011 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm one of those skinny guys too, and have made huge amounts of progress in the last four months. That is I have increase my bench press by bout 60 pounds by using the following techniques. I do a little higher reps, but it looks like you are set within the low rep range. Try going a little higher for a while (8-12) and continually switch up the rep range about every 4 to 6 weeks. This will help break you out of your plateau.

Ok, OP, watched the vid. Here's some comments.

1. You need to tighten up your form. Don't just "grab the weight and go". For example, on bench pressing, plant your feet under your butt and pull your back into a tight arch. Grab the bar, and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Grip the bar tightly, and establish tension in your body. Now unrack and keep tight through the rep.

2. I'd put your flat bench first in your routine. Progress your sets upward to your working weight, and crank those out in the 5 rep range to build strength. For example: 135x10, 165x8, 185x6, 225x5,5,5,5 (or whatever your 5-rep weight is). Progress the last 4 sets by 5 pounds per week, week in and week out. For your other exercises, use an 8 rep range for 4 sets (approx.)

3. Work your chest routine from the heaviest lift (BB bench) down to the lightest. So BB Bench > Incline DB Bench > Chest Dips > Flyes. Personally, I think the first two exercises will give you the best bang for the buck.

4. De-load periodically to give your CNS, connective tissue, etc. time to recovery.

5. Optional: Periodically, and sparingly, do some negatives on BB bench using right around your 1RM or 10% over. USE A SPOTTER!!

You're a big framed guy, and thus the biggest factor here is giving yourself time to put muscle on that frame. It doesn't happen overnight.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    I'll remind you that all the top bench pressers in the world are over 6'.
    That's the main point I try to get across to taller guys who complain about their pressing. I can understand their frustration but being tall should never be used as an excuse, unless we're talking something ridiculous like NBA center height.

The world's best strongmen are tall and while they usually don't do a whole lot of bench training they do plenty of shoulder pressing which obviously still involves long arms moving a bar.

Ok, OP, watched the vid. Here's some comments.

1. You need to tighten up your form. Don't just "grab the weight and go". For example, on bench pressing, plant your feet under your butt and pull your back into a tight arch. Grab the bar, and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Grip the bar tightly, and establish tension in your body. Now unrack and keep tight through the rep.

2. I'd put your flat bench first in your routine. Progress your sets upward to your working weight, and crank those out in the 5 rep range to build strength. For example: 135x10, 165x8, 185x6, 225x5,5,5,5 (or whatever your 5-rep weight is). Progress the last 4 sets by 5 pounds per week, week in and week out. For your other exercises, use an 8 rep range for 4 sets (approx.)

3. Work your chest routine from the heaviest lift (BB bench) down to the lightest. So BB Bench > Incline DB Bench > Chest Dips > Flyes. Personally, I think the first two exercises will give you the best bang for the buck.

4. De-load periodically to give your CNS, connective tissue, etc. time to recovery.

5. Optional: Periodically, and sparingly, do some negatives on BB bench using right around your 1RM or 10% over. USE A SPOTTER!!

You're a big framed guy, and thus the biggest factor here is giving yourself time to put muscle on that frame. It doesn't happen overnight.
    That 225 will allow em to have a spotter of course. I don't think I can do 225 by myself. ARe you trying to say that? Yes I know alot of strong-lifters are over 6, It's apparent. But doesn't a taller guy do more work at lower weight. For example: Would lifting 185 be the equivalent of lifting 225lbs on a 6'5'' frame and long arms?

Originally Posted by 5hakaZulu View Post
    That 225 will allow em to have a spotter of course. I don't think I can do 225 by myself. ARe you trying to say that? Yes I know alot of strong-lifters are over 6, It's apparent. But doesn't a taller guy do more work at lower weight. For example: Would lifting 185 be the equivalent of lifting 225lbs on a 6'5'' frame and long arms?
    I am 6'4 and have a 80" reach and do pretty sexily on tha bench. SRS.

Originally Posted by 5hakaZulu View Post
    No, do your 5 rep sets at whatever weight you can lift. I was just using that as an example of how to progress the sets. If you can successfully lift 185 for multiple sets of 5, then use that. Whatever.

The longer distance a weight moves, the more "work" is done. But to a degree that's a separate issue. You are larger, and so an equal argument could be made that you are beginning with more muscle mass, and have the capacity to add even more. What about short lifters that have monkey arms? Women are generally smaller than men, but don't lift more pound-for-pound. etc. etc.

Certain physical proportions do make certain lifts more difficult. But to focus on that element will only hold you back.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'll let the others have the headache here, but OP, watch this video (many... many times) and learn how to properly bench:

-
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by im2manly View Post
    I am 6'4 and have a 80" reach and do pretty sexily on tha bench. SRS.
    76" reach here and presses are my strongest movements.

You win but gimme five brother.

Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    76" reach here and presses are my strongest movements.

You win but gimme five brother.

yep presses are my bread and butter followed by deadlifts. Squats not so much, but thats probably just because of my height

Bench Press is my strongest lift also. 'bout three-fiddy.

Come at me, Giant-bros.

UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateAeroSSC will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What about short lifters that have monkey arms?
    Monkey arms? D: lol Oh well, I do DB bench. Get @ me tall world.
    Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. ~Proverbs 3:5-6

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I always figured it was the long arms rather than height that made the pressing more challenging (longer levers, making the bar travel further).

xistrikerix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I see you were trying to incorporate negative dips into your routine... you were going down way to fast for them to be worth your time... typically negatives are about a 5 second eccentric.... Also, you should start with your big pressing movements first.. Either start with bench or incline... If you don't always have a spotter around, just use dumbbells ... pick weights that you can do at least 3 sets of 8-12 reps ... you will be fine man... keep coming back for more

Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cheese3216 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    hi, first of all i think negatives on dips is a bad idea. just do bodyweight dips till you can do 16 then use a 25lb plate till you can do 15 then 35lb plate until you can do 15 and so on

secondly those pullovers are involving your triceps way too much, weight is way too heavy
    pullovers should acually be a compound lift training chest AND lats... not triceps
    Drug free is the way to be (srs)

Originally Posted by CLandry View Post
    Dwight

5hakaZulu, the program you posted is not appropriate for your level.

Stick with something simpler such as a FBW, push/pull or upper/lower. Why is bench press so late in the rotation? Optimal gains occur when you are training as frequently as your body allows for a full recovery. With a push/pull you can hit chest 1, 2, or 3x a week or over another time span (doesn't have to be a week) or any of the other 2 routines. At least one of the days should the bench press be the first exercise. I do incline db first on the second push day, but that's my preference.

You sound like you've plateaued. If not, up the weight and see if you can still get the same reps within a few weeks. Either way, I'd still change the routine if your gains are minimal.
    I use to do very little frequency when training the first 6th months. Got me nowhere. Wasn't until I upped my training frequency and volume that I've started seeing results. I was seeing results in the 6th months of training, but they weren't as good as I am now. I just got off Strong-lifts. I'm going back to it next month in March. The negative dips were new and I thought I'd try it out. Yes it sucked ass. Didn't like the exercise. But my lifts I always start with Incline Bench Press, guess it's part of my belief system.

My problem was not going for Bench Press second, which got me tired. I understand that main compound lifts should be executed first before doing isometric movements. To the cheese-guy below, I do pull-overs ONLY for rib-cage expansion and stretching. I don't even do 3 sets sometimes, and only 2 sets. But I like the exercise, feels good. To Chazzy, I use to do it that way before, but felt kind of stupid, lol. Guess I'll go back to it. LATERZ.

jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) jordynsdaddy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    no excuses.... i'm 7'0 and press 245lbs......