1lostyankee is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy 3 exercises that aren't getting easier. Any advice?

I've been doing this routine since February and it's AWESOME (Mon-Wed-Fri). I bought 2 kinds of adjustable dumbbells and have been increasing and I already saw results after a few months. She does ladder reps and I go up to 8 with each one.
    I am unable to post the link, it's Sydney Cummings' 30 minute upper body workout.

I thought I was ready to increase again, to 10 lb dumbbells, I started by doing a few reps of each exercise with the 10 and then finished with lighter ones, but I am still having trouble with 3 of the exercises, they are not getting easier, and increasing the weight didn't help. So I went back to the lighter dumbbells (even took one little weight bar out of them) to try and get better at them - they are the first 2 in the video, the arm raises out to the sides and out in front of me, and then the bent over rows (I think that's what she calls it, but your arms go out to the sides). With those 3 exercises, I cannot get to 7 or 8 reps without resting longer than I am supposed to in between (she says don't rest for more than 5 seconds). After 2 months on the same weight, shouldn't it be easier by now? I really want to increase weight.

I am slowly seeing improvement with the chest exercises. Is there some other type of exercise(s) I should do that would help me with these problem ones? It seems to be the anterior and lateral deltoids that I am having trouble with.

Pics of exercises

I don't know why I'm not getting replies. Surely this is a fairly common question. Here's pics of the 3 exercises.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Those are notoriously difficult to progress with because you are at such a leverage disadvantage - try adding more reps before increasing the weight. You can go right up to 20 reps without worrying about the effectiveness tailing off.

OK, thanks very much, just needed that input!

snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) snailsrus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You need to rest more than 5 seconds between sets for strength building
    SuperHercules crew
    cancer survivor crew
    Dyslexic crew
    Friend of Mr.Wilson crew
    Ugly and old cell crew
    Cat crew
    Insomniac crew

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by 1lostyankee View Post
    I've been doing this routine since February and it's AWESOME (Mon-Wed-Fri). I bought 2 kinds of adjustable dumbbells and have been increasing and I already saw results after a few months. She does ladder reps and I go up to 8 with each one.
    I am unable to post the link, it's Sydney Cummings' 30 minute upper body workout.

I thought I was ready to increase again, to 10 lb dumbbells, I started by doing a few reps of each exercise with the 10 and then finished with lighter ones, but I am still having trouble with 3 of the exercises, they are not getting easier, and increasing the weight didn't help. So I went back to the lighter dumbbells (even took one little weight bar out of them) to try and get better at them - they are the first 2 in the video, the arm raises out to the sides and out in front of me, and then the bent over rows (I think that's what she calls it, but your arms go out to the sides). With those 3 exercises, I cannot get to 7 or 8 reps without resting longer than I am supposed to in between (she says don't rest for more than 5 seconds). After 2 months on the same weight, shouldn't it be easier by now? I really want to increase weight.

I am slowly seeing improvement with the chest exercises. Is there some other type of exercise(s) I should do that would help me with these problem ones? It seems to be the anterior and lateral deltoids that I am having trouble with.

Increase volume, do more sets and force your body to respond
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by snailsrus View Post
    You need to rest more than 5 seconds between sets for strength building
    lol, good spot. Sounds like some kind of myo-reps approach. Not surprising that progression was difficult. I would not recommend using this without a conventional approach too.