Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

John Broz interview

After seeing the 350kg back squat of Pat Mendes: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121186971

I went looking for more vids, here is one of his coach, good stuff:

endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks,
    It was already posted in the 350kg thread

BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000)

Olympic Lifting

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask

endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000) endpoint is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by BrozKnows View Post
    If you have any questions, please feel free to ask
    Can you run through Pats squatting over the last few months with the injury.

What type of work were you doing. How often, sets and reps etc.

Also there is a vid where he is deadlifting, is that just for fun?

SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SecondSucks is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Solid interview.

BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000) BrozKnows is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by endpoint View Post
    Can you run through Pats squatting over the last few months with the injury.

What type of work were you doing. How often, sets and reps etc.

Also there is a vid where he is deadlifting, is that just for fun?
    The deadlift was just for fun. one day and I had all the guys max in the "deadlift" which is just the way we pull for a clean but it's too heavy to go on toes and shrug so then it gets called a deadlift instead of a pull. I was curious if their pr's had gone up since the last time we checked it without ever pulling over 70% of max. they all did.

His morning (m-sat) workout for sept - nov was: bs 230/ snatch 160/ clean 190. IN the pm workout he would go max sn, cj, bs (3 days/ week and FS 3 days/wk). Usually to 1rm, then back down and do 5x2 or 5x3 or sometimes as much as 10x4 depending on how much effort I saw in the lifts that day. sunday squats only to max then reps with 20-30kg less for at least 30 reps in either sets of 2, 3, or 5

IN December he was doing in every am: 250bs/170sn/200cj and in the pm sn 180-190/ cj 200-225/ bs 300-330 or fs 240x3-280x1. When his wrist starting bothering him again we had to drop cleans and do more pulls and FS. About 10 days ago his wrist even kept him from snatching so we are just doing squats and pulls. I also dropped the volume during the holidays to give him a very little break until the new year. He is still training 2x/day but much less volume. He feels so rested that his squat is jumping through the roof. He thinks he is good for a 300fs/370 bs before jan 31.

HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250) HolyMoly has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Man, I'm really looking forward to see your guys compete.

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What type of training protocol do you follow for Olympic lifting and how is it different for someone new to Oly lifting if it is at all?
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

I actually have a question regarding assistance lifts. You say you don't let your guys do them, only focussing (when ready) on the competition lifts. Sometimes maxing out on deadlifts and squats ect. Is this only so you can put more effort and energy into the competition lifts? So you can let your guys train more frequent?

For example, do you let your guys do overhead squats? If so, when and how often? Do you see any benefits in doing them?

And if I understand correctly you let your guys max out often? What do you do when progression halts?

Basically, could you give us some more insight into your training protocols?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    What type of training protocol do you follow for Olympic lifting and how is it different for someone new to Oly lifting if it is at all?
    I should read first before posting.. :-/

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by HolyMoly View Post
    I should read first before posting.. :-/
    I'm guilty of the same.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hello Mr. Broz,
    I noticed that you and Pat have a very similar jerk style (most notably the incredibly short dip). Did you learn this style from your Bulgarian coach? Have you experimented with other jerk strategies?
    Last edited by RyHam; 12-28-2009 at 11:38 AM.

If you are new to OLifts, then you must use a stick for at least 3-4 weeks and do thousands of reps to get good technique and understand the movements. It is crucial to have someone watch who truly knows how the bar path and body movements are supposed to go. It is possible to learn yourself, but it takes much dedication to view the lifts and understand what they are doing. Without a coach it makes it very very difficult.

As we learn technique, the weight can begin to increase until technique breaks down. Eventually it's max attempts everyday.

Originally Posted by RyHam View Post
    Hello Mr. Broz,
    I noticed that you and Pat have a very similar jerk style (most notably the incredibly short dip). Did you learn this style from your Bulgarian coach? Have you experimented with over jerk strategies?
    The Jerk is the most violent movement of any part of O Lifts. Especially difficult when you stand from a heavy clean. The short dip is ESSENTIAL to the jerk. When the bar passes 160kg the bar whip begins to play a significant factor in the success of the lift. Learning how to dip quickly and maximize the oscillation is the only way to be a great jerker.

Antonio did teach me this technique. When I was younger I had a russian coach that had me do heavy 1/4 front squats and believed that the jerk drive was more of a squat then Krastev's philosophy of a jump. I have tried many ways and this is the best.

Sometimes maxing out on deadlifts and squats ect.
    Max squats everyday, max deadlifts 2-3x/year.

this only so you can put more effort and energy into the competition lifts?
    yes. We compete in the snatch and c/j not powerlifting

So you can let your guys train more frequent?
    2x everyday and once on sunday

For example, do you let your guys do overhead squats?
    Only if they snatch it first. We never do them as an exercise. If you snatch it and cant get up (pinned with a snatch) you would get laughed out of the gym or banished to the squat rack for 30 days.

And if I understand correctly you let your guys max out often?
    every workout, every lift

What do you do when progression halts?
    IT WILL! Training lifts will eventually start to go backwards as you enter into the "dark times". When you are so sore and fatigued that you cant even imagine lifting weights. This time is CRUCIAL to training. You MUST persevere and continue to train! Eventually your lifts will begin to improve and you will make progress and PR's while in a totally fatigued state. When you can make progress when feeling like this, this is when you are going somewhere.

To quote Antonio:"the day will never come when you can't lift the bar"

To quote my first coach:" If you wait til you feel good with no aches or pains to train, you will never be here"

Basically, could you give us some more insight into your training protocols?
    Train til you can't walk, eat, sleep, repeat.

RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyHam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One more question Mr. Broz. Will you save American weightlifting?

My first coach John Schubert was the coach of the last male Olympic Champion Chuck Vinci - 1960. Growing up in his gym I learned a lot. I also trained with John Black, Vince Anello and a few other powerlifting monsters for years at Black's Health World (a legendary powerlifting team) in the 80's, also located in Cleveland. I thought it was my destiny since I had the opportunity to lift and be surrounded by these legends that I would break the curse and be the next gold medalist. When I met Pat I was already realizing that my dream was not going to come true and he said to me that it was fate that brought us together and my destiny was to be a coach. I suppose with my first two coaches both named John, it would not be an insult to follow in their footsteps.

Only time will tell, but no one is more tired of seeing the US getting their butt kicked then me.

Thanks Mr. Broz!

Lol

I have three other question, if you don't mind..

1) How do you let your guys work up to a max (warm-up to it and working sets)?

2) You said earlier in your post that you sometimes let your guys do 30 reps in sets of 2,3 or 5 sets with 20 or 30 kg less than their 1rm right? Why 20 or 30 kg? Is this your general rule of thumb? Wouldn't it be easier to work with percentages to reduce the load (10 0r 20% or something like that)?

3) You said that when progression halts you will let your guys max, right? What if they loose strength? Has overtraining ever occured? And if so what did you do (let them do)? If not, what would you do if it happened?

1) in the lifts: bar, 50kg for as many as it takes to look good, fast and comfortable, then usually 20kg jumps to about 80% for dubs, then 10kg jump to 90% for singles then 5kg up to max for singles. 6 attempts at max is the usual norm

2) percentages don't work. I go down 20-30 and if its too easy, then we go back up. there are times that the reps end up being more than what was the original max that day. The body is amazing when you push it. You never know what you are capable of doing on any given day. The way you feel is a lie.

3)this is a tough one to swallow for most... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS OVERTRAINING!!! if you can't do something you are not in good enough shape. Here is a story:

IF you got a job as a garbage man (or run a jackhammer, or some other physically demanding job) and had to pick up heavy cans all day long, I'm sure the first day would be very difficult - possibly almost impossible for some to complete so what do you do? take 3 days off and possibly lose your job? NO! you would take your sore, beaten self to work the next day. You would mope around and be fatigued - much less energetic than the previous day, but you would make yourself get through it. Get home, soak in the tub, take aspirin, etc. The next day would be worse..etc. etc. Eventually you will be running down the street tossing cans around and joking with your coworkers. How did this happen? You forced your body to adapt to the job at hand! IF you cant' squat everyday, lift heavy everyday then you are not OVERTRAINED, you are UNDERTRAINED!

Could a random person off the street come to the gym with you and do your exact workout? probably not - cause they are undertrained. Same goes with most when compared to elite athletes.

Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadlift_10KG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IF you cant' squat everyday, lift heavy everyday then you are not OVERTRAINED, you are UNDERTRAINED!
    mind=blown

If you are new to OLifts, then you must use a stick for at least 3-4 weeks and do thousands of reps to get good technique and understand the movements. It is crucial to have someone watch who truly knows how the bar path and body movements are supposed to go. It is possible to learn yourself, but it takes much dedication to view the lifts and understand what they are doing. Without a coach it makes it very very difficult.

As we learn technique, the weight can begin to increase until technique breaks down. Eventually it's max attempts everyday.
    Thanks, I have been working with a coach for 9 months now my c&j is at 95lb and snatch is 70lb was just curious as to your training methods, I know some are more geared to doing the lifts everyday and others are not.

I know some are more geared to doing the lifts everyday and others are not.
    If you want to get good at throwing a shotput should you practice tossing a frisbee?

The ONLY way to get good at the lifts is to do the lifts.

If you want to get good at throwing a shotput should you practice tossing a frisbee?

The ONLY way to get good at the lifts is to do the lifts.
    I agree but also do assistance work, presently working around things have a bad case of tendinitis in my elbow and will be getting my 3rd shot of cortisone soon was just starting to make some gains and this crap happens.

Thanks for your replies.

1) in the lifts: bar, 50kg for as many as it takes to look good, fast and comfortable, then usually 20kg jumps to about 80% for dubs, then 10kg jump to 90% for singles then 5kg up to max for singles. 6 attempts at max is the usual norm
    50 kg for as many as it takes to look good in singles, doubles or triples? And are the jumps done singles or doubles ect? Could you perhaps show it with an example how to work up to a max lift? (excuse my ignorance)

IF you cant' squat everyday, lift heavy everyday then you are not OVERTRAINED, you are UNDERTRAINED!
    Never thought of it that way!

Thanks for awnsering all the questions, I did not expect it, but appriciate it a lot!

Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Squinky is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Does your lifters do any overhead presses or bench? If not, do they test those lifts from time to time?

Could you perhaps show it with an example how to work up to a max lift?

Ok, for example: today I did bar for about 5 min - approx 10-15 snatches (since these are first always), then onto 50 kg. first starting with muscle snatches for dubs x 2 sets. on the 3rd set begin to ride down to full squat snatch for 4 reps. then full squat snatch the rest: 70x2x2,90x2,110x2,120x2,130x1,135x1,140x1-missed 4x, made on 5th attempt.

Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
    Does your lifters do any overhead presses or bench? If not, do they test those lifts from time to time?
    very very light standing press. only weight that can be done for at least 5 reps. This is for advanced lifters that are just helping a sore elbow only. when it feels better the presses stop.

For the young girls, I occasionally have them do bench or standing press to gain some upper body strength. Most of the guys have benched in school and have a pretty good upper body strength. We have only done a quick max on press 1x ever and never bench for max. One time I let them settle a bet to see who could bench the most without training for it. 3 of the guys did over 400# and I stopped them.

Broad crazy question.

If you had a powerlifter, or strongman how would you approach their training?

(I can understand if you dont want to answer!)

Originally Posted by endpoint View Post
    Broad crazy question.

If you had a powerlifter, or strongman how would you approach their training?

(I can understand if you dont want to answer!)
    Powerlifter- the same approach I take now and do it with the 3 lifts, but the bench would only be 3x/week. smaller muscles need a bit more time.

Strongman - I would train just like we do except drop the snatches and add power clean with push presses. 2/wk I would do grip work- no more than that. 2x/mo I would do the actual strongman exercises until getting close to a meet when I would focus more on volume and not on maximum lifts for the aerobic benefit needed for those meets.

Do you push Diet and supplements (creatine etc)?

I am interested in other athletes at your gym. Pat is a freak.

Do you have a record board of the other lifters posted anywhere?