MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Cannot get comfortable in bed!

This is a problem that has plagued me for the last year or so since lifting: I cannot get comfortable in bed at night.

All of my life I've slept on my front with my hands under the pillow, but now when I do this at least one of my arms tends to go numb (pins and needles).

I also like sleeping on my side in the fetal position but then my knees and shoulder ache! I read about sleeping with a pillow between the legs but I don't understand how this works when you want to roll over in your sleep, and it wouldn't help my shoulders.

You might think this is the result of packing on loads of extra muscle but in reality I went from 210 pounds to 160 pounds (currently 175 pounds) so I actually weigh far less than when I was a fat blob sleeping soundly at night '-.-

I've since tried sleeping on my back which feels a lot more comfortable on my joints but when I wake up I'm back on my side or front again. Sometimes I lay there and feel like I weigh 250 pounds!

I'm 39 years old but had exactly the same issue when lifting in my late twenties. I don't think I had the issue when lifting in my teens. It's safe to say that during extended periods of not lifting, the problem goes away.

Anyone else get this? Any solution other than training yourself to sleep on your back?

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Try increasing potassium in diet (more vegetables preferable to supplements, but either...)

Try adding taurine to diet (small can or redbull every day, or taurine supplement...)

Make sure you're not on an ultra low sodium diet (unless you have a medical need for that)

BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BromanianDL is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Maybe look into a new mattress, or at least a mattress topper that relieves pressure points. I agree sleeping on your back is probably best for your joints, but I have never been able to train my body to do that.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thc/cdb :d
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Thc/cdb :d
    Lol that’s legal here now in IL for recreational.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    This is a problem that has plagued me for the last year or so since lifting: I cannot get comfortable in bed at night.

All of my life I've slept on my front with my hands under the pillow, but now when I do this at least one of my arms tends to go numb (pins and needles).

I also like sleeping on my side in the fetal position but then my knees and shoulder ache! I read about sleeping with a pillow between the legs but I don't understand how this works when you want to roll over in your sleep, and it wouldn't help my shoulders.

You might think this is the result of packing on loads of extra muscle but in reality I went from 210 pounds to 160 pounds (currently 175 pounds) so I actually weigh far less than when I was a fat blob sleeping soundly at night '-.-

I've since tried sleeping on my back which feels a lot more comfortable on my joints but when I wake up I'm back on my side or front again. Sometimes I lay there and feel like I weigh 250 pounds!

I'm 39 years old but had exactly the same issue when lifting in my late twenties. I don't think I had the issue when lifting in my teens. It's safe to say that during extended periods of not lifting, the problem goes away.

Anyone else get this? Any solution other than training yourself to sleep on your back?
    The pillow between legs takes some getting used to but you eventually adjust. I started using when in 1996, when I blew a disc out. I am now where I roll over and don't even realize that I am adjusting it. Your body will learn how to adjust it.

You might also consider a sleep study too.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BromanianDL View Post
    Maybe look into a new mattress, or at least a mattress topper that relieves pressure points. I agree sleeping on your back is probably best for your joints, but I have never been able to train my body to do that.
    We have a memory foam mattress, and love it!
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Lol that’s legal here now in IL for recreational.
    I get mine from the legal dispensary. 2:1 ration (THC/CBD). Helps me sleep really well and recovery has been good too.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

I'll try anything twice. capnutra's Avatar
    capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250) capnutra has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You can also try Magnesium. It helps your muscles relax.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't... you're right."

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    Try increasing potassium in diet (more vegetables preferable to supplements, but either...)

Try adding taurine to diet (small can or redbull every day, or taurine supplement...)

Make sure you're not on an ultra low sodium diet (unless you have a medical need for that)
    Thanks, can you explain how this will help though?

Originally Posted by capnutra View Post
    You can also try Magnesium. It helps your muscles relax.
    Thanks, I'll try that

Am considering a new mattress, it's just weird my old mattress wasn't an issue until I start lifting

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Potassium, sodium l, magnesium (as suggested capnutra) if low can cause discomfort cramps and weakness, and taurine can regulate neurotransmitter action reduce DOMs and discomfort. How much of this is unscientific quack nonsense... don't know? Worth a try?

ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50) ItalianDomenic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had the same issue recently, started taking ZMA about half hour before bed. First 2 or 3 days you wake up like you took Nyquil the night before (sorta fog brained), but it goes away. My sleep has improved greatly overall though.
    I Do It Because I Can...
    I Can Because I Want To...
    I Want To Because You Said I Couldn't

1/11/20: 194lbs / 22% BF. Goal: 200lbs / 10 - 12 % BF

Formerly grouchyjarhead GrouchyUSMC's Avatar
    GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GrouchyUSMC has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Get a body pillow, shove it between your legs. You will learn to love it. I sleep awesome that way.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Maybe look into a new mattress, or at least a mattress topper that relieves pressure points.
    I think this is most likely the short to medium term answer. Long term you should probably figure out why you're having numbness issues in your preferred posture.

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    CBD Oil helped my sleep big time.

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've had a similar problem where i couldn't sleep well on training days. But it kind of went away on it's own.

A few observations...
    I used to drink quite a lot of water when I was having this problem and I would always always always need to wake up to pee. I drink less water near bed time and overall so that I don't need to wake to pee.

I was running vikings u/l at the time and the high volume and me being short on time didn't agree with me. I would get into bed completely exhausted and be dead tired but unable to get good quality sleep for some reason. This would only happen on training days.

I know it can be quite frustrating..hope you figure it out!
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 225x13, 235x9, 250x5, 280x1
    Squat - 295x10, 340x5, 375x1
    Deadlift - 430x12, 450x9, 485x5, 515x1
    OHP - 150x11, 170x6, 185x2, 190x1
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 195 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201&page=6

Registered User JeremyM07201978's Avatar
    JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000) JeremyM07201978 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used to sleep that way, on my stomach, and I thought it was the only way I would ever want to sleep. It became pretty uncomfortable after 2 years of lifting weights and I would wake up on my back more and more. Eventually, I just stopped beginning sleep that way and the discomfort went away for me. I believe weight lifting and focusing on form and movements led to a change in posture for me (hopefully for the better) and as a result, laying on my back is now more comfortable.

You could try placing pillows at each side to keep you from rolling off of your back. I have done this before when I had to be sure I did not roll to one side due to an incision. It worked for me.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How old is your mattress? My wife and I purchased a memory foam with gel mattress and man are they ****ing comfortable.
    On the list for Bannukah

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    The pillow between legs takes some getting used to but you eventually adjust. I started using when in 1996, when I blew a disc out. I am now where I roll over and don't even realize that I am adjusting it. Your body will learn how to adjust it.

You might also consider a sleep study too.
    i have had some problems with lumbar strain/soreness for months now, mostly upon waking in the morning diminishing during the day, so I tried this earlier in the week and man it seems to be working! I also read that elevating your legs above your torso by putting some pillows underneath your knees also helps if you sleep on your back. Thanks!!
    Please record my time/reps if I pass out

Originally Posted by Millz12323 View Post
    I've had a similar problem where i couldn't sleep well on training days. But it kind of went away on it's own.

A few observations...
    I used to drink quite a lot of water when I was having this problem and I would always always always need to wake up to pee. I drink less water near bed time and overall so that I don't need to wake to pee.
    Yeah I used to drink a lot and wake up busting for the toilet around 3am. I drink less now but still have diet soda in the evening so rather then waking up and having no choice but to go and pee, now I kind of half wake up and hold it in due to being too tired to get up. I think I just need to stop drinking after 6pm, but that's a separate issue which I can fix.

Originally Posted by JeremyM07201978 View Post
    I used to sleep that way, on my stomach, and I thought it was the only way I would ever want to sleep. It became pretty uncomfortable after 2 years of lifting weights and I would wake up on my back more and more. Eventually, I just stopped beginning sleep that way and the discomfort went away for me. I believe weight lifting and focusing on form and movements led to a change in posture for me (hopefully for the better) and as a result, laying on my back is now more comfortable.

You could try placing pillows at each side to keep you from rolling off of your back. I have done this before when I had to be sure I did not roll to one side due to an incision. It worked for me.
    Thanks, I think my posture did change (for the better) and although I lost weight, my arms, shoulders and chest have gotten bigger for sure, so maybe sleeping in child like positions just won't work for me anymore.

I'm tempted to try the pillow tricks but fear my wife might complain when she comes bed and I'm in the middle surrounded by pillows. After the protein bar fart incidents, that might be enough to push her over the edge.

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    How old is your mattress? My wife and I purchased a memory foam with gel mattress and man are they ****ing comfortable.
    It must be like 11-12 years old! Funny thing is in the past I could sleep soundly on any old mattress. But now you mention it, it seems like a good excuse to buy a new one.

I've also bought some magnesium today. I don't really expect it to make any difference but thought it worth a try.

George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) George2100 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    I get mine from the legal dispensary. 2:1 ration (THC/CBD). Helps me sleep really well and recovery has been good too.
    Same here bro. Been doing it for years

NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000) NerdyLady is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you're not already doing it, start taking some good quality Turmeric with Curcuminoid. That ought to help with inflammation. The body pillow thing helps my husband sleep but you're not wrong about turning over in your sleep. It is such an event, it wakes me up with all the movement. Makes for poor sleep for me but he's more comfortable with his correctly aligned knees in side sleep.
    I am one of the 3%.
    I am one of the 1 in 8.
    www.metavivor.org
    www.metavivor.org/take-action/why-we-need-you

Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50) Garthug will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I sleep in a similar fashion and have the same numbness in my arms and fingers as well as shoulder and neck pain/stiffness. I have an arm under the pillow and the opposite leg drawn up instead of both legs up in the fetal position. It all started to hurt once I was lifting regularly; I'm assuming because muscle is less pliable than chunkier me. My arm and my pillow keep my head too high and out of alignment with the rest of my body.

I've discovered that I can sleep in pretty much the same fashion by tucking my arm against my body, either slightly behind my back and straight down, or with the upper arm against my ribcage with the arm bent and the hand right in front of my face. Its a work in progress...if my wife is feeling extra cuddly and wants to play the big spoon, I can't have my arm behind my back, for example. Sometimes I can't get the pillow just right and I have to bring my arm under it again.

I can't sleep on my back unless I'm really exhausted. My legs get restless.

Originally Posted by Garthug View Post
    I sleep in a similar fashion and have the same numbness in my arms and fingers as well as shoulder and neck pain/stiffness. I have an arm under the pillow and the opposite leg drawn up instead of both legs up in the fetal position. It all started to hurt once I was lifting regularly; I'm assuming because muscle is less pliable than chunkier me. My arm and my pillow keep my head too high and out of alignment with the rest of my body.

I've discovered that I can sleep in pretty much the same fashion by tucking my arm against my body, either slightly behind my back and straight down, or with the upper arm against my ribcage with the arm bent and the hand right in front of my face. Its a work in progress...if my wife is feeling extra cuddly and wants to play the big spoon, I can't have my arm behind my back, for example. Sometimes I can't get the pillow just right and I have to bring my arm under it again.

I can't sleep on my back unless I'm really exhausted. My legs get restless.
    Sounds like the same issue as me. I had started reducing the number of pillows thinking that was making it worse, but I've gone back to 2 big fat pillows now and think that actually helps a little bit to keep my shoulders aligned better.

Apparently when I sleep on my back, in my sleep I'll raise my legs up by bending my knees, and the entire duvet turns into a tent :-\

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have similar issues with numbness and tingling if I sleep in the wrong position. And really the only position I can sleep in is on my back or right side because my left shoulder hurts too bad to sleep on that side or on my stomach with arms overhead like I used to. I assumed my issues were purely age related but maybe lifting has something to do with it?

I do sleep better than when I was fat but I am also just happier and my mind wanders less than it did back then.

A few comments about sodium have me wondering, I am not on a low sodium diet but I do not add salt to anything. I am pretty sure I probably get plenty of sodium just from food as is but once I got used to not adding salt everything tastes way too salty when adding any. Every once in a while I will take a bite of my wifes or kids food and I am like wow that is salty! even though I used to eat it like that myself before I started eating better and exercising.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    I have similar issues with numbness and tingling if I sleep in the wrong position. And really the only position I can sleep in is on my back or right side because my left shoulder hurts too bad to sleep on that side or on my stomach with arms overhead like I used to. I assumed my issues were purely age related but maybe lifting has something to do with it?

I do sleep better than when I was fat but I am also just happier and my mind wanders less than it did back then.

A few comments about sodium have me wondering, I am not on a low sodium diet but I do not add salt to anything. I am pretty sure I probably get plenty of sodium just from food as is but once I got used to not adding salt everything tastes way too salty when adding any. Every once in a while I will take a bite of my wifes or kids food and I am like wow that is salty! even though I used to eat it like that myself before I started eating better and exercising.
    Hi Troy

Based on my experience and reading other people's experiences it seems to be lifting related rather than age related. I had the same thing in my twenties. It's weird though because it started happening again to me within a couple of months of lifting, it's not like it took many months to start happening again.

Like you, I don't add salt to anything. I'll occasionally have a Chinese or KFC/McDonalds which will be as salty as hell, but that's only once in a while. Are you thinking low sodium could be the culprit?

I've been taking magnesium this last week and my sleep feels a lot deeper, and I now have 3 or 4 dreams per night which I can remember. But I still wake up with a numb arm, tingling fingers or aching shoulders/knees.

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you thinking low sodium could be the culprit?
    I saw some people mention sodium but no I highly doubt that has anything to do with it.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Registered User 27MinuteMiracle's Avatar
    27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10) 27MinuteMiracle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It must be like 11-12 years old! Funny thing is in the past I could sleep soundly on any old mattress. But now you mention it, it seems like a good excuse to buy a new one.
    A Preliminary Google Search says it’s time to replace your mattress - it's probably or certainly too old.

as for putting your hands behind your head when you sleep, a d an tingle : you are clearly pinching (or whatever) a nerve.

I was getting tingling in my Hands as well, predominately my pinky and ring finger is. It turns out that having your arm is bent for too long at a time cuts off one of the nerves or put pressure on it or something, and thus the tingling. If you do it enough you can actually require surgery! My problem was too much time on his cell phone.

I suspect that when your hands are over your head, they are in the same position for too long. I’d imagine that on your side, rolling over etc. arms will be in different positions all night long, thus..no tingling.

As for sleep position, I just saw a chiropractor. He said unequivocally that the healthiest sleep position is on your back with something under your knees. I need to Google how to do that...

I always fall asleep very easily if I have a hot shower before going to bed. That’s an effective trick.

tekw0lf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mr Carrot. Wow I had the same issue, I just thought it was nerve damage from previous surgeries.
    After some research, I came to the conclusion that I had a slight Ulnar nerve entrapment due to increase muscle mass and the position of my arms and body during sleep. I was a stomach sleeper too.
    I had to train myself to sleep differently. I sleep on halfway between on my side and stomach. I use 2 memory foam pillows, one to hold and one between my knees. After I got used to it, I have not had the issue since.
    Everyone is different, so this might not be you. I think it is worth a try... They do not have to be memory foam, just my preference.