Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Best exercises for the long head tricep?

My long head tricep lacks size and i want to train it more/better.
    I was wondering what exercises are best for this one specifically.
    Personally i was thinking weighted dips and close grip bench press, but simply because they're more of a mass/compound exercise.
    I don't know if they are the best for the long head specifically.

Will rep for answers. Thanks!
    Cobra Kai never dies!

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by backinthegymbro View Post
    Personally i was thinking weighted dips and close grip bench press, but simply because they're more of a mass/compound exercise.

the long head is ttached to the scapula so you have to get your arms up. Any overhead extension works best.
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Anything where your arm is up by or above your head is usually good for the long head. Up behind you too is decent - like dips.

- Lying Skullcrushers: preferably w/ the arms angled slightly overhead instead of straight up, so you keep tension throughout and so you don't crush your skull
    - Overhead tricep extensions: bar/db is an elbow killer for me, so I use cable - which I actually prefer tension wise anyway. W/ cable you can also do it forwards overhead instead of up as a variation.
    - Kickbacks (cable or db): this isn't really a great mass builder, but it's good as a finisher, esp as a drop set

Based on your past posts, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to build this up well in 3-6 months.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by PurmaBulker1984 View Post
    the long head is ttached to the scapula so you have to get your arms up. Any overhead extension works best.
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    Anything where your arm is up by or above your head is usually good for the long head. Up behind you too is decent - like dips.

- Lying Skullcrushers: preferably w/ the arms angled slightly overhead instead of straight up, so you keep tension throughout and so you don't crush your skull
    - Overhead tricep extensions: bar/db is an elbow killer for me, so I use cable - which I actually prefer tension wise anyway. W/ cable you can also do it forwards overhead instead of up as a variation.
    - Kickbacks (cable or db): this isn't really a great mass builder, but it's good as a finisher, esp as a drop set

Based on your past posts, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to build this up well in 3-6 months.
    Thank you both for replying. I already do skull crushers slightly angled and also tricep extensions behind the neck with a dumbbell twice a week.
    Was hoping for an exercise i overlooked. But i'll continue to do them! perhaps i can include some french presses with the barbell, or try cable extensions like air2fakie mentioned. It's good to know that the long head gets trained when your arm is above your head. Thanks again!
    Cobra Kai never dies!

PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you both for replying. I already do skull crushers slightly angled and also tricep extensions behind the neck with a dumbbell twice a week.
    Was hoping for an exercise i overlooked. But i'll continue to do them! perhaps i can include some french presses with the barbell, or try cable extensions like air2fakie mentioned. It's good to know that the long head gets trained when your arm is above your head. Thanks again!
    Do cable overhead extensions. Put the pulley about mid back and use the easy bar like attachment. Then do them just like a French press. Bit difficult to get into position as the weight goes up. But the constant tension especially at the bottom and top of the movement really hit the long head well.

Edit: also try the French press.
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If as they grow you find your dominant arm's long head is looking bigger than the other, or even if not, do the same thing PB mentioned above, but one arm at a time & take the handle off and use the little ball.

Esp for overhead stuff, sometimes you'll find you can do more reps w/ one arm than the other, but not notice the diff in strength when you do it two-handed.

I also like this one
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000) gerbilz is a name known to all. (+5000)

Compounds seem to be a better choice rather than ISO exercises.

Aside from that-

I don’t know the name of it but it’s sorta similar to kickbacks.

Skull crushers
    Overhead DB extensions
    Cable Triceps Overhead Extension

CGBP and Dips. Compounds are the best way to build muscle + strength. You know this man.

I’ll do Skull Crushers, Overhead Tricep Extensions and finish it off with a few sets of single arm push downs to failure.
    educate yourself before you wreck yourself.

StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I love incline skullcrushers. Get an extra stretch that way. I use a 2-plane rack at my gym, like a Smith that can move forward & backward too, where you can really dig in.

After that heavy stuff, I like cable French Press with a rope, squeezing peaks for 3-5 seconds and/or squeezing against the negative for a similar count. Long TUT, hard squeezes, if you do it right you will get lit up. I don't feel this particular move is for size, but assuming your mass building work is solid this will certainly emphasize the development of the head.
    Lifting. Hockey. Headbanging.

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175144571

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good answers above.
    I would go with any tricep movement that stretches the like already mentioned overhead cable extensions.
    Others could be pullover to tricep extension lying on a bench or one arm overhead DB extension getting a good stretch on both.

sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sayjayvee has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Incline barbell tricep extensions, 10x10 every other push day. I've noticed good gains.